ADVERTISEMENT

I want IU to be Auburn... We just need 60 more 4-Star players

Their roster is made up of primarily players from Alabama, Georgia, and Florida.

As far as I can tell, we're working Georgia and Florida hard and have made connections in Alabama...

Throw some of the best of the Midwest in with those guys (along with 1 or 2 guys from TX) and you have yourself a good football team...

Which is clearly exactly what Tom Allen and staff are attempting to do...

Their roster is made up of primarily players from Alabama, Georgia, and Florida.

As far as I can tell, we're working Georgia and Florida hard and have made connections in Alabama...

Throw some of the best of the Midwest in with those guys (along with 1 or 2 guys from TX) and you have yourself a good football team...

Which is clearly exactly what Tom Allen and staff are attempting to do...

Yep - that’s the point here. People drool all over getting the top kids in Indiana. They aren’t going to make this program. Get 10 solid kids in the trenches from Alabama, Georgia and Florida and you can build something.

Reactions: IUgradman
Yep - that’s the point here. People drool all over getting the top kids in Indiana. They aren’t going to make this program. Get 10 solid kids in the trenches from Alabama, Georgia and Florida and you can build something.

Well that is just dumb. Last year the top recruit from Indiana went to Michigan and number 2 went to Bama. I guess we can expect those programs to crash in the next few years. You get the best you can get from wherever you can get them. Being able to get the best recruits from your home state is priority number 1 for every program in the country. If you have paid any attention at all to the last couple of classes then you would know that the majority of our recruits have come from the area that you mentioned.

Just looked and damn... 65(!) 4-stars last 5 years and 11(!) 5 Stars.

Un-friggin-believable!!

Just think all of that talent and only winning 8 games. Malzahn, while a brilliant OC, is a terrible HC. This is the same team who beat Alabama & Georgia last year but loses to UCF. This year they lost to Tennessee. Man.... Just think if we had a bagman.

Many folks have told me that we would be better off in the Big Ten West. Well, I am not so sure. First, we lost to all three teams we played this year from the West and second, losing to Purdue, in light of what happened yesterday to the Boilermakers, isn't exactly a hopeful sign for the future. Just saying but yes, Coach Allen is recruiting the South. That is a good thing.

So which is it? Good Lord!

I swear I try and enjoy this board and talk football, trash our in state rival, and discuss what recruits we are hot on the trail of, but stuff like this...Uggghhh

Part of this is where they draw their linemen from. Minnesota and northern states where they grow ‘em big and strong. We get kids from the Midwest (Illinois, Indiana, Ohio) and they don’t compare. The 3-star kids up there are likely 4 star kids in other states.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Many folks have told me that we would be better off in the Big Ten West. Well, I am not so sure. First, we lost to all three teams we played this year from the West and second, losing to Purdue, in light of what happened yesterday to the Boilermakers, isn't exactly a hopeful sign for the future. Just saying but yes, Coach Allen is recruiting the South. That is a good thing.
Coach Allen needs to get it together. He shouldn't have lost to Purdue two years in a row. His recruiting is decent, but my goodness, he needs to be able to coach his way out of a wet paper bag.

I say this and I even like the guy...I really do, just stating facts.

Going to the west is fools gold. IMO a lot of the guys we are getting are coming here to play against osu,um,psu,msu every year. If we can marry that with success then it just multiplies from there. We are getting some good players, we need to develop them. Time will tell.

Just think all of that talent and only winning 8 games. Malzahn, while a brilliant OC, is a terrible HC. This is the same team who beat Alabama & Georgia last year but loses to UCF. This year they lost to Tennessee. Man.... Just think if we had a bagman.
Yeah, the more I look at it, a 7-5 record and Music City Bowl berth against Purdue is their version of us scheduling a bad FCS program and blowing them out of the water. They're just too damn loaded with talent... Just on special teams alone!!!! We could probably field a pretty good defense with what they have on kick off coverage.

Kery Coombs was a huge recruiter of OSU before going to the NFL. Think we can pony up the $$$$$ to get him to come back and recruit for us?

Probably not, but yes, I agree with you. If we only had a bag man.....

Oh look, Rondale Moore just caught another pass and burned the IU secondary... again... again... (compared to yesterday!) Bottom line, if you can't stop them, it doesn't matter how many points you score if they score "Moore". Story of the year(s) is that IU defense was just plain "average". Throw me all the excel sheets you want, but if you can't stop anyone, game over.

Oh look, Rondale Moore just caught another pass and burned the IU secondary... again... again... (compared to yesterday!) Bottom line, if you can't stop them, it doesn't matter how many points you score if they score "Moore". Story of the year(s) is that IU defense was just plain "average". Throw me all the excel sheets you want, but if you can't stop anyone, game over.
The only team I've seen all year that couldn't stop anyone was purdue yesterday. If it wasn't for the play calling by Gus twice within the 5 yard line it would have been 77 plus. It could have been much, much, worse.

Coach Allen needs to get it together. He shouldn't have lost to Purdue two years in a row. His recruiting is decent, but my goodness, he needs to be able to coach his way out of a wet paper bag.

I say this and I even like the guy...I really do, just stating facts.

Spot on.

It would go a long way if he would just quit with the slogans and the antics and really developed the identity of this program into one of a tough disciplined football team.

Reactions: IUgradman and td75
Spot on.

It would go a long way if he would just quit with the slogans and the antics and really developed the identity of this program into one of a tough disciplined football team.
Absolutely, and please don't wait until the Minnesota game, which was very deep into the season, to take the lid off of the vertical passing game. Maybe I'm wrong, been wrong many times in my life, but waiting that long to go deep with the passing attack is lousy coaching.

I hope Tom gets it together, he's a good recruiter and seems like he would possibly stay in Bloomington for the long haul versus having success and immediately leaving.

Reactions: IUgradman
Ramsey should never see the field again unless Tuttle and Penix get injured. We have to stretch the field next year to keep the defense honest and open up the running game.

Reactions: td75
So which is it? Good Lord!

I swear I try and enjoy this board and talk football, trash our in state rival, and discuss what recruits we are hot on the trail of, but stuff like this...Uggghhh

Here’s the point in all of this:

I’m not saying don’t try to get the top kids in the state. That’s not my point at all.
What I am pointing to is all this back and forth about kids like David Bell or we pump our chests out about landing Mr. Football last year. Purdue and IU faithful back and forth about who is dominating the state in football recruiting. Sure, it sets a perception, maybe, but it won’t make or break the program like it does in basketball where you have 1/10 of the roster size and the value of state basketball means something. I think fans here confuse the two. They think getting one or two skill guys in football from our state will make the program into an instant winner.
Yesterday’s clown show in Nashville demonstrates that you can have one really dynamic guy on offense that is totally eradicated if you have the big hogs from Georgia, Alabama and the south pushing guys around at the line of scrimmage. Guys like Moore cannot take over a game when your QB is under duress. Or, your OL is pushing the DL back 5 yards every play.

Never said we aren’t trying to get guys from the same states as Auburn. We’ll get the leftovers or hidden gems and hope we strike gold. Another state rich in linemen, particularly OL is the state of Minnesota.

So, this wailing and nashing of teeth over skilled guys from the state of Indiana is futile if you don’t have guys to block for them.

Who’s more valuable to a team?
David Bell or Clay Webb?

Last edited:
Ramsey should never see the field again unless Tuttle and Penix get injured. We have to stretch the field next year to keep the defense honest and open up the running game.
Well never know if we were supposed to be stretching the field all year last year. We sure didn't have a problem at the end of the year. Was it the play calling? IDK it seems to me the CTA started complaining about it and all of the sudden Ramsey starts launching it. As td75 stated we waited till the Minny game?

Ramsey will see the field again and the good thing about it is he's not green coming off the sidelines. Do I think he'll get beat out? Yes, BUT its a tall task knocking off a 2 year starter. AND I've said before he is extremely competitive. If Ramsey gets beat out we are in excellent shape at QB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT