ADVERTISEMENT

I Want a Guy As Ornery As Dakich Who Shoots Like Alford

Well all want Kevin Durant's..
And Ja Morant's...
I'll take a couple somewhere between those two..
I'd say we'd be playing late March with that.

As far as pure shooters with range, Jay Edwards and James Blackmon Jr. were the best in my book. Not sure, my memory may be failing, at Alford's range. He made a lot of 3 pointers but the line was closer then. Hulls and Yogi were very good, but not at the level of Edwards and Blackmon.

Reactions: sellsoap
I'd rather have a guy like a taller and more athletic Jay Edwards doing my shooting. He was deadly from anywhere within 30 feet.
Gunn reminds me of Edwards some. His court demeanor,thin body type, smooth shooting stroke, and he looks like he is floating on the court. I used to think Edwards looked like he was floating or gliding on the court while others were running hastily.

As far as pure shooters with range, Jay Edwards and James Blackmon Jr. were the best in my book. Not sure, my memory may be failing, at Alford's range. He made a lot of 3 pointers but the line was closer then. Hulls and Yogi were very good, but not at the level of Edwards and Blackmon.
Alford was a phenomenal shooter. Extreme marksman. There are only a few in his category. Certainly not Yogi. For fleck sakes Yogi missed free throws that would have sealed a win over MSU and put IU in the dance. He isn't even in the conversation.

Eric Gordon

Eric Gordon
Gordon was an NBA three point contest winner. His NBA career 3% is 37% and at IU 34%.

If things had went differently Edwards shoulda coulda woulda won it. Jay shot 48% from 3 over two seasons at IU and no 3 pt attempts in NBA.

Steve Alford shot 52% from 3 his senior year with the 3 pt line in and 32% from 3 in the NBA.

Ted Kitchel shot 66% from 3 his senior year with the test 3 pt line in.

Randy Wittman shot 44% from 3 his senior year with test 3 Pt line in and 32% NBA.

Pat Graham shot 48% from 3 over 4 seasons at IU.

Blackmon Jr 42% over three seasons

Greg Graham 44% over 4 IU seasons.

Calbert 44% over 4 seasons at IU.

Eric Anderson 40% at IU and 2/2 NBA career.

Yogi 40% IU and 37% NBA.

Hulls 44% IU

We had some great shooters-money in the bank.

Last edited:
Gordon was an NBA three point contest winner. His NBA career 3% is 37% and at IU 34%.

If things had went differently Edwards shoulda coulda woulda won it. Jay shot 48% from 3 over two seasons at IU and no 3 pt attempts in NBA.

Steve Alford shot 52% from 3 his senior year with the 3 pt line in and 32% from 3 in the NBA.

Randy Wittman shot 44% from 3 his senior year with test 3 Pt line in and 32% NBA.

Yogi 40% IU and 37% NBA.

Hulls 44% IU

Alford shot 57% as a freshman. Overall, no three-point line that year '83-84. On a team that pulled off one of the biggest upsets in terms of talent disparity in NCAA history, and made the Elite 8.

When has a 6' 1" guard........hell any size guard that led his team in scoring come close to shooting it that well? Ever.........

Case closed.

Last edited:
Alford shot 57% as a freshman. Overall, no three-point line that year '83-84. On a team that pulled off one of the biggest upsets in terms of talent disparity in NCAA history.

When has a 6' 1" guard........hell any size guard that led his team in scoring come close to that? Ever.........

Case closed.
But 52% from 3 as a senior isn't a mark against him. :)
I loved watching those teams. Well except his soph year pretty much sucked.

Yogi 40% IU and 37% NBA.

Hulls 44% IU

Amazing list of quality shooters

Reactions: CriticArisen
Alford shot 57% as a freshman. Overall, no three-point line that year '83-84. On a team that pulled off one of the biggest upsets in terms of talent disparity in NCAA history, and made the Elite 8.

When has a 6' 1" guard........hell any size guard that led his team in scoring come close to shooting it that well? Ever.........

Case closed.
And been 1st team two time All American?

Yogi 40% IU and 37% NBA.

Hulls 44% IU

Great list. Can any of those guys get a CoVid year!! 😁

I would have never put Greg Graham in that category. Didn't remember him shooting that high of a percentage.

Ted at 66%, DAMN!!!

Reactions: CriticArisen
No matter the distance of the shot, if Knight wanted it Alford would have practiced until confident he could get Bobby + results. He was that good. He used to play horse from the courtside seats against Oliphant and free throws left handed. He was the epitome of shooter.

Kitchel and Wittman could shoot too. But, Jay Edwards was the best shooter I ever saw at IU. Dude could rip it.
Silk… and he deserved that name. Would have hit three last second winners in a row if not for Nick Anderson.

Yogi 40% IU and 37% NBA.

Hulls 44% IU

And now we get excited for 35%. Sigh

Silk… and he deserved that name. Would have hit three last second winners in a row if not for Nick Anderson.
I think that's the only loss I have on tape. Great game with Jay hitting the shot from BEHIND the backboard.
Nick Anderson and Brendan Pavlich shall live in Assembly Hall infamy.

If we’re talking clutch that’s easily jay edwards. If we’re talking about all around and skill you have to go with Alford or graham. If we’re talking pure shooter then you have to go with Matt Roth or Todd Leary or Jeff oliphant. Have been told on multiple occasions oliphant was by far the best shooter on that team and that was told to me by Steve Alford and Steve eyl

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT