ADVERTISEMENT

I think with crowds back, IU will return to form....

Okay... which one of you woke up the village idiot? Come on fess up... BayernFan never has anything of value to post.
Hey now, wait just a doggone minute! Nobody takes the title of Village Idiot except IU_Hickory!

• Haha
Reactions: jsenleo
Vegas currently has the Hoosiers at 7 to 7.5 wins depending on the book. If you really think they're going to return to the mean this season, bet the house on the under of 7.5.

Last edited:
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
all these negative vibes are bringing me down man.
1ZZs1uE.gif

I don’t think the original poster was trolling. He has a very long term mindset that is very difficult to change. Sincere but sincerely depressed just like Eeyore. But as a long time fan I can’t summarily dismiss his point of view. I think the most likely outcome is eight wins and for losses.

I don’t think the original poster was trolling. He has a very long term mindset that is very difficult to change. Sincere but sincerely depressed just like Eeyore. But as a long time fan I can’t summarily dismiss his point of view. I think the most likely outcome is eight wins and for losses.
No, he’s trolling. And I gave him the attention he wanted.

He’s long said stupid crap like we should openly pay players blah blah blah. He just likes to get people riled up. Been doing it for years.

An 8-4 season would not reduce the momentum this program has, especially if it is capped off with a bowl win.

An 8-4 season would not reduce the momentum this program has, especially if it is capped off with a bowl win.
The bar has been kind of set. 8-4 for this team is a disappointment. If we stay healthy I’m looking at better than that. It will just give recruiters a reason to say I told you so. There are 4 games that stand out of course. We need to at least split those games. Iowa, Cincinnati, penn state, Ohio state. I think we beat the rest. If we lose to all of those 4 I’ll be very disappointed!!!

and play nervous and snakebit, looking for ways to lose. Add to that injuries including to you know who, and I see 4 wins. Maybe 5. Idaho, WKU, MD, Minnesota. Maybe Rutgers. The rest are Ls.

Last season was a COVID no crowds fluke.

JMO.
Weird that you chose to post this.

The bar has been kind of set. 8-4 for this team is a disappointment. If we stay healthy I’m looking at better than that. It will just give recruiters a reason to say I told you so. There are 4 games that stand out of course. We need to at least split those games. Iowa, Cincinnati, penn state, Ohio state. I think we beat the rest. If we lose to all of those 4 I’ll be very disappointed!!!
I have yet to see a 9 win IU season in my lifetime. That’s the target I’m shooting for first, starting this year.

No no no. 8 and 4 is not a disappointment. It would further solidify recruiting.

I have yet to see a 9 win IU season in my lifetime. That’s the target I’m shooting for first, starting this year.
I want 10. Don’t tell me we lose to all 4. Iowa, Cincinnati, Ohio state and penn state. That to me is going backwards. We should win all the others. No?

I want 10. Don’t tell me we lose to all 4. Iowa, Cincinnati, Ohio state and penn state. That to me is going backwards. We should win all the others. No?
It’s a 12 game season, so it would be 3 losses on the season, not 4, if we end with 9 wins. I was speaking in terms of regular season.

I don’t think we can truly put a “going backwards” stamp on the program if we lose 4 games. The conference is tough and there are several teams that also stockpile a bunch of talent and they’ve all been doing this winning thing for a long time as well.

It’s a 12 game season, so it would be 3 losses on the season, not 4, if we end with 9 wins. I was speaking in terms of regular season.

I don’t think we can truly put a “going backwards” stamp on the program if we lose 4 games. The conference is tough and there are several teams that also stockpile a bunch of talent and they’ve all been doing this winning thing for a long time as well.
What I’m saying is you all think we are going to lose those games or slip up with Purdue or Maryland? I’m not buying it. I’m not going to accept it. If we truly are on the rise then we need to win those games. If not then we are the 2019 team not the more experienced 2020 team. What games do you think we lose?

What I’m saying is you all think we are going to lose those games or slip up with Purdue or Maryland? I’m not buying it. I’m not going to accept it. If we truly are on the rise then we need to win those games. If not then we are the 2019 team not the more experienced 2020 team. What games do you think we lose?
It’s a marathon, not a sprint, if we are wanting to get to a consistent status year over year. There are always bumps along the way in trending upward.

8-4 for this team is a disappointment.
8-4 would hit the "OVER" in every Vegas win total for this team, which is surpassing expectations. I would absolutely take that season if you offered it right now.

It means we beat all 7 of the teams we're favored against on the schedule, and pull of an upset win either in Iowa City, Happy Valley, Ann Arbor, at home vs Cincinnati or dare I say it OSU.

We've never won in Happy Valley. Haven't won in Ann Arbor since 1967. Haven't beat OSU since 1988.

The Iowa game is a huge measuring stick for both teams. The 10 times Indiana has gone to Iowa City and won, Iowa ended the season .500 or worse each time.

I don't think what BayernFan is saying is too insane. We're one injury at the QB position away from a 4-8/5-7 type of season, and Penix suffered season ending injuries the past 3 years.

8-4 would hit the "OVER" in every Vegas win total for this team, which is surpassing expectations. I would absolutely take that season if you offered it right now.

It means we beat all 7 of the teams we're favored against on the schedule, and pull of an upset win either in Iowa City, Happy Valley, Ann Arbor, at home vs Cincinnati or dare I say it OSU.

We've never won in Happy Valley. Haven't won in Ann Arbor since 1967. Haven't beat OSU since 1988.

The Iowa game is a huge measuring stick for both teams. The 10 times Indiana has gone to Iowa City and won, Iowa ended the season .500 or worse each time.

I don't think what BayernFan is saying is too insane. We're one injury at the QB position away from a 4-8/5-7 type of season, and Penix suffered season ending injuries the past 3 years.
I’m agreeing with all of that. I just think inmho if we lose all those games it means we haven’t moved. It means this team is the same as 2019 and 2020. Do we settle for that? I’m not. I get the Vegas odds too. I think we need to win at Iowa, beat Cincy. At least I think we can and should. If we lose all 4 of the big ones I’ll be disappointed.

Reactions: vesuvius13

I agree with most of what you said, until the last paragraph. Clearly without Penix the ceiling of the team drops considerably. There's no way losing 1 player puts this team at the level of a 4 win team. That puts this roster into Bill Lynch territory, and there is so much more talent than Lynch had to work with.

Without Penix the OSU and PSU games are probably losses. But there isn't anyone else on the schedule so much more talented to think it's a loss without our QB.

don't think what BayernFan is saying is too insane. We're one injury at the QB position away from a 4-8/5-7 type of season, and Penix suffered season ending injuries the past 3 years.
IU was 8-5 in 2019 and 6-2 in 2020 despite suffering season ending injuries at the QB position. Saying IU is a 4 or 5 win team if Penix goes down is just a flat out terrible take. There's 2 years of evidence that shows this isn't true.

Last edited:
IU was 8-5 in 2019 and 6-2 in 2020 despite suffering season ending injuries at the QB position. Saying IU is a 4 or 5 win team if Penix goes down is just a flat out terrible take. There's 2 years of evidence that shows this isn't true.
Without Penix in 2019, the team was 1-3 with a 3 point overtime win over a Purdue team that we were 7 point favorites against, and losses to Penn State, Michigan, and Tennessee, all games in which we were underdogs.

Without Penix in 2020, the team was 1-1, with an defensive-led upset win in Madison, followed by a loss as a 9.5 point favorite against Ole Miss.

I believe there's 3-4 games on the schedule that IU will win with or without Penix - Idaho, Western Kentucky, Rutgers, and possibly Michigan State. But then there's 3 games on the second half of the schedule that I become less confident in penciling in a win without Penix (Maryland, Minnesota, Purdue). Oddsmakers have us as 6.5 point favorites in all of those games, and losing your starting QB could shift all those odds to pick'em.

I too am bullish on the year, but I don’t think At Michigan can be seen as a “gimme” by any means, and though I do think IU wins, Bucket games At PU scare me bc it’s a huge game and even against a 2-9 PU team, they’ll play like it’s their bowl game.

Been watching IU football too many years to consider any game to be a ‘sure win’
Call me a pessimist if you like,just seen too many bad injuries,bad bounces,bad calls and bad football through the years.
I’m past ready to get the season started and see what this teams got.
I know one thing,TA and his staff will have them ready to go at Iowa.
If we can win that one and take care of Idaho,the Cincinnati game will be HUGE.

Been watching IU football too many years to consider any game to be a ‘sure win’
Call me a pessimist if you like,just seen too many bad injuries,bad bounces,bad calls and bad football through the years.
I’m past ready to get the season started and see what this teams got.
I know one thing,TA and his staff will have them ready to go at Iowa.
If we can win that one and take care of Idaho,the Cincinnati game will be HUGE.
You touch on an important point

Last year, we got breaks (“The Penix Pylon”) and our DB’s “made plays” that drew flags in the past. Was this because the mass perception of IU had changed and now even refs on the field “expected” IU to “make plays”?

I think both - we played better and changed perceptions. And one reason I cite the play is that last year, the flags didn’t just stop against us - they flew against our opponent. They had to hold us or interfere because we were better and they couldn’t handle us.

Preparation created its own luck, and I agree we will be ready for Iowa. And if we win and look good, and the expectations that IU is good continue - Katie, lock yer jaw and bar the door.

Without Penix in 2019, the team was 1-3 with a 3 point overtime win over a Purdue team that we were 7 point favorites against, and losses to Penn State, Michigan, and Tennessee, all games in which we were underdogs.

Without Penix in 2020, the team was 1-1, with an defensive-led upset win in Madison, followed by a loss as a 9.5 point favorite against Ole Miss.

I believe there's 3-4 games on the schedule that IU will win with or without Penix - Idaho, Western Kentucky, Rutgers, and possibly Michigan State. But then there's 3 games on the second half of the schedule that I become less confident in penciling in a win without Penix (Maryland, Minnesota, Purdue). Oddsmakers have us as 6.5 point favorites in all of those games, and losing your starting QB could shift all those odds to pick'em.
I guess you don't count the Maryland game, when Penix went down while we were tied and Ramsey came in to win the game.

Sure, Ramsey's record wasn't great, since he had to start against Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan. He didn't have 2 easy wins against Ball State and UConn like Penix did. He won a critical game, on the road, at Nebraska in front of a sold-out crowd.

And the bowl game loss was on special teams and Allen's inexplicable decision to not call timeout when we're down on the goal line.

Stop the Ramsey bashing. The kid did a great job for us and there is no need to downplay his contribution.

Last edited:
I think both - we played better and changed perceptions. And one reason I cite the play is that last year, the flags didn’t just stop against us - they flew against our opponent. They had to hold us or interfere because we were better and they couldn’t handle us.

Great insight. If we're good enough we don't need to hold or interfere, and so we don't get flagged for it. And if we're good enough, they other guys will have to resort to holding or interfering and (hopefully) get called for it when they do.

You touch on an important point

Last year, we got breaks (“The Penix Pylon”) and our DB’s “made plays” that drew flags in the past. Was this because the mass perception of IU had changed and now even refs on the field “expected” IU to “make plays”?

Preparation created its own luck, and I agree we will be ready for Iowa. And if we win and look good, and the expectations that IU is good continue - Katie, lock yer jaw and bar the door.
Well, except for O$U OL #75, who got away with all kinds of holding and pushing in the back.

You just going to forget the Nebraska game in Lincoln in 2019 that Penix didn’t play in?

Guy is a game-changer, no doubt about it. Even against Penn State last year, when he clearly wasn't having his best day, he delivered the win with a perfectly executed late 4th quarter drive, his 2-point conversion to tie and then, of course, the spectacular 2-point conversion to win in OT.

With respect to our last two games in 2020, yes, the defense stepped up big against Wisconsin but Tuttle still did a nice job, in his first start, of managing the game. Then, against Ole Miss, he was playing with a separated shoulder. The game was a likely W had he been healthy.

That said, I agree that we're a different team with Penix on the field. He is a special talent who will be playing on Sundays if he stays healthy. He gives us our best chance to win every week.

I guess you don't count the Maryland game, when Penix went down while we were tied and Ramsey came in to win the game.

Sure, Ramsey's record wasn't great, since he had to start against Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan. He didn't have 2 easy wins against Ball State and UConn like Penix did. He won a critical game, on the road, at Nebraska in front of a sold-out crowd.

And the bowl game loss was on special teams and Allen's inexplicable decision to not call timeout when we're down on the goal line.

Stop the Ramsey bashing. The kid did a great job for us and there is no need to downplay his contribution.
Who is bashing Ramsey? Ramsey is the perfect example of why Penix's health will make or break this season. Northwestern was 3-9 in 2019 with poor QB play. Insert Ramsey and they go 6-1, winning the Big Ten West and the Citrus Bowl. There are absolutely games (like the PSU game last year, and unfortunately the Outback Bowl) that IU doesn't win without Penix.

Who is bashing Ramsey? Ramsey is the perfect example of why Penix's health will make or break this season. Northwestern was 3-9 in 2019 with poor QB play. Insert Ramsey and they go 6-1, winning the Big Ten West and the Citrus Bowl. There are absolutely games (like the PSU game last year, and unfortunately the Outback Bowl) that IU doesn't win without Penix.
I'd just like to see you tell the full story instead of leaving out important facts that might not support your position

Agree with this…the QBs behind Penix on the depth chart were #104 and #100 in the nation as recruits coming out of high school. With that talent and our defense I have a hard time believing the wheels fall off.

There's high end talent sitting behind Penix. Donovan McCulley is going to be a fabulous QB for Indiana in the near future.

You don't receive a top 100 player rating unless you show a boatload of talent. Same can be said for Jack Tuttle. If Penix goes pro after this year, the QB position is in very good shape.

There's high end talent sitting behind Penix. Donovan McCulley is going to be a fabulous QB for Indiana in the near future.

You don't receive a top 100 player rating unless you show a boatload of talent. Same can be said for Jack Tuttle. If Penix goes pro after this year, the QB position is in very good shape.
The kid from Texas has something too. He’s played against the best and held his own.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT