ADVERTISEMENT

MSU overdid it with their schedule and other ACC/BT comments

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012
---Izzo really messed up this past recruiting season by not getting any depth in the portal. Not sure if he swung and missed or just didn't try, but it wasn't fair to his players to take take on their schedule this year with essentially 6-7 players, at most, two of which they were missing last night. They have a nice starting 5 but are looking like a 5-7 place BT team this year.

--Didn't catch the Nebraska/BC game, but just how bad is BC? Nebraska certainly hadn't shown anything to that point in the season. Looks like NW, Minnesota, and Nebraska are the worst BT teams. Collins and Holberg probably get canned at the end of this year.

--Although the BT lost the challenge 8-6, the BT looks stronger overall. The BT wins tended to be by solid margins, the losses by narrower margins, with MSU a notable exception.

--Although the Challenge is ending after this year for $$ reasons, I'm ok with the change. Like the Crossroads Classic, it was becoming a lot of been there, done that. I hope they keep the BE series and add one with the Big 12.
--It's nice to see UL sucking

--Willard looks like a big upgrade for MD

Reactions: mortal nuts
---Izzo really messed up this past recruiting season by not getting any depth in the portal. Not sure if he swung and missed or just didn't try, but it wasn't fair to his players to take take on their schedule this year with essentially 6-7 players, at most, two of which they were missing last night. They have a nice starting 5 but are looking like a 5-7 place BT team this year.

--Didn't catch the Nebraska/BC game, but just how bad is BC? Nebraska certainly hadn't shown anything to that point in the season. Looks like NW, Minnesota, and Nebraska are the worst BT teams. Collins and Holberg probably get canned at the end of this year.

--Although the BT lost the challenge 8-6, the BT looks stronger overall. The BT wins tended to be by solid margins, the losses by narrower margins, with MSU a notable exception.

--Although the Challenge is ending after this year for $$ reasons, I'm ok with the change. Like the Crossroads Classic, it was becoming a lot of been there, done that. I hope they keep the BE series and add one with the Big 12.
--It's nice to see UL sucking

--Willard looks like a big upgrade for MD

As a follow-up, looking at the scores the BT had 3 blowout wins in MD over UL, Ill over Syracuse, and Nebraska over BC.

The ACC had one blowout win--Pitt over NW

ACC teams won the 4 closest games....Clemson over PSU; Wake over Wisky, Virginia over Michigan, and Miami over PSU.

It appears that the BT is easily the better conference, although the W/L total does not agree.

As a follow-up, looking at the scores the BT had 3 blowout wins in MD over UL, Ill over Syracuse, and Nebraska over BC.

ACC teams won the 4 closest games....Clemson over PSU; Wake over Wisky, Virginia over Michigan, and Miami over PSU.

It appears that the BT is easily the better conference, although the W/L total does not agree.
of all the results, the Wisky loss is most surprising. Challenge would have ended 7-7.

Ok seeing Nebraska beat ANYONE by 30 is also surprising.

the schedule “Wasn’t fair to his players” is a soft a take I’ve ever heard.
Well the whole notion that they should schedule easy just because they might be in an off year is just stupid. The whole reason they have so much March success over the last 20 years is precisely because they don't pussyfoot with their schedule ever. That's why Tom Crean is unemployed, that philosophy doesn't breed success

Every year we use this as a barometer on how we stack up, and the last three years, the B1G won this challenge, but ACC has performed better in the tourney. Seems there is some consensus that it is because while the B1G has had depth, the ACC has been top heavy with better teams at the top. Might be true, and if so, it seems that may have shifted this year…

One other comment/question: How the F is FSU 1-7? Hamilton has generally been a good coach and built some tough teams. How are they getting Louisville type results; did they have some sort of cataclismic event? Not an impressive win by PU. That was my first time seeing them and they are what I expected: a solid squad who will be tough, but didn't look elite. I think we're better. I think XJ will make Braden Smith look like a freshman. We'll see!

Well the whole notion that they should schedule easy just because they might be in an off year is just stupid. The whole reason they have so much March success over the last 20 years is precisely because they don't pussyfoot with their schedule ever. That's why Tom Crean is unemployed, that philosophy doesn't breed success
I’m showing my age here but I remember long long ago when denny crum would play monster schedules and have ~10 losses each year going into the tournament and roll into the ncaas as a favorite.

I’m showing my age here but I remember long long ago when denny crum would play monster schedules and have ~10 losses each year going into the tournament and roll into the ncaas as a favorite.
No, you are not wrong, they did that too. I remember the '86 championship between then and Duke, and I remember my Dad telling me Duke was "gonna get their ass waxed". I was wrong, he was right

Reactions: ThreeToMakeTwo
One other comment/question: How the F is FSU 1-7? Hamilton has generally been a good coach and built some tough teams. How are they getting Louisville type results; did they have some sort of cataclismic event? Not an impressive win by PU. That was my first time seeing them and they are what I expected: a solid squad who will be tough, but didn't look elite. I think we're better. I think XJ will make Braden Smith look like a freshman. We'll see!
After 6 games Smith is playing 28 minutes, shooting 45% from the field, 40% from three, 92% from charity stripe, grabbing 5.3 rebounds dishing 3.7 assists, with 2.3 steals and 2.1 turnovers and 10.3 ppg. Two of the teams played, Marquette and Florida State appply pressure 40 minutes. Marquette’s guards are 6-3, 6-4 and 6-5. Duke’s are 6-3, 6-3, 6-5 and 6-6.
Gonzagas are 6-3, 6-4, 6-7 and 6-7. FSU’s are 6-5, 6-5, 6-7, 6-7 and 6-7. His Florida State stat line was 13 pts, 9 rebounds, 7 assists, 2 steals and 2 turnovers. I am sure that he will be challenged by the size and speed of Xavier, but he sure will have been tested by big guards and so far has performed adequately for just a freshman.

After 6 games Smith is playing 28 minutes, shooting 45% from the field, 40% from three, 92% from charity stripe, grabbing 5.3 rebounds dishing 3.7 assists, with 2.3 steals and 2.1 turnovers and 10.3 ppg. Two of the teams played, Marquette and Florida State appply pressure 40 minutes. Marquette’s guards are 6-3, 6-4 and 6-5. Duke’s are 6-3, 6-3, 6-5 and 6-6.
Gonzagas are 6-3, 6-4, 6-7 and 6-7. FSU’s are 6-5, 6-5, 6-7, 6-7 and 6-7. His Florida State stat line was 13 pts, 9 rebounds, 7 assists, 2 steals and 2 turnovers. I am sure that he will be challenged by the size and speed of Xavier, but he sure will have been tested by big guards and so far has performed adequately for just a freshman.
It's not XJ's size, but he's just super quick and knows how to use his body. You don't have to recite stats to me, I think Braden has been a godsend for you guys, but the fact remains he's a freshman and XJ is a senior and that usually counts for something and goes the seniors way. Privately I think it's an area where we'll have an advantage. It'll be fun to see!

Reactions: T.M.P.
If that was the first game you saw of Purdue, I don't think it was indicative of what Purdue is. After playing 3 games (against top 25 Kenpom teams) in 4 days in Portland, Purdue flew home on the redeye Monday morning. On Tuesday, Purdue flew to Tallahassee but got stuck in Des Moines and didn't land in Florida until 2:30 in the morning.

That's just a brutal travel schedule and the 4th game against high major opponents in 7 days. I expected Purdue to look a little sluggish and they did.

Are we as good as we showed in Portland? Probably not that either. I'd wager it is somewhere in between.

I'd say there's a better than 50/50 chance we'll see a battle of top 10 opponents when Purdue and IU square off this year. That hasn't happened in a long, long time.

Reactions: BoilerNGold013
If that was the first game you saw of Purdue, I don't think it was indicative of what Purdue is. After playing 3 games (against top 25 Kenpom teams) in 4 days in Portland, Purdue flew home on the redeye Monday morning. On Tuesday, Purdue flew to Tallahassee but got stuck in Des Moines and didn't land in Florida until 2:30 in the morning.

That's just a brutal travel schedule and the 4th game against high major opponents in 7 days. I expected Purdue to look a little sluggish and they did.

Are we as good as we showed in Portland? Probably not that either. I'd wager it is somewhere in between.

I'd say there's a better than 50/50 chance we'll see a battle of top 10 opponents when Purdue and IU square off this year. That hasn't happened in a long, long time.
I remember when travel issues similar to that weren’t a valid excuse when we played poorly against St Mary’s.

First time in a loooong time IU and Purdue appear to both be good.

It's not XJ's size, but he's just super quick and knows how to use his body. You don't have to recite stats to me, I think Braden has been a godsend for you guys, but the fact remains he's a freshman and XJ is a senior and that usually counts for something and goes the seniors way. Privately I think it's an area where we'll have an advantage. It'll be fun to see!
Post up Smith - mouse in the house
Force Loyer to guard someone and not just reach and flop, gimmick D
There is a reason they were not heavily recruited by Power 5 schools, who do they guard?
They plant a 7’4” goalkeeper under the bucket as a rim protector when their perimeter guys get burned off the dribble

Last edited:

PU will lose some B1G road games, they are not going undefeated. Painter’s teams have the same M.O. -peak in November & December and lose in March to a team that is a match up nightmare for PUs lower level ranked recruits.

Reactions: Tscurlo
Looking back at the 1980s to early 2000s, college basketball’s best teams are down compared to the past.

I remember when travel issues similar to that weren’t a valid excuse when we played poorly against St Mary’s.

First time in a loooong time IU and Purdue appear to both be good.
There is a bit of a difference in the respective schedules that might be relevant.

In the Spring Tournaments, IU played:
Michigan March 10th Indianapolis
Illinois March 11th Indianapolis
Iowa March 12th Indianapolis
Wyoming March 15th Dayton
St. Mary's March 17th Portland

Just last week, Purdue played:
W Virginia November 24th Portland
Gonzaga November 25th Portland
Duke November 27th Portland
Florida State November 30th Tallahassee

Indianapolis to Dayton is 117 miles. Dayton to Portland is 1988 miles. Total of 2105 miles.

W Lafayette to Portland is 1831 miles. W Lafayette to Tallahassee is 704 miles. Total of 2535.

IU had a three-day break between Indy and Dayton. Purdue had a one-day break between Portland and Tallahassee. Remember, you gain time going West, you lose time going East. It is fair to conclude based on differences in mileage and time zones that Purdue had the tougher travel schedule.

There is a bit of a difference in the respective schedules that might be relevant.

Indianapolis to Dayton is 117 miles. Dayton to Portland is 1988 miles. Total of 2105 miles.

W Lafayette to Portland is 1831 miles. W Lafayette to Tallahassee is 704 miles. Total of 2535.

IU had a three-day break between Indy and Dayton. Purdue had a one-day break between Portland and Tallahassee. Remember, you gain time going West, you lose time going East. It is fair to conclude based on differences in mileage and time zones that Purdue had the tougher travel schedule.
Keep your damned geography to yourself.

How idiotic. Four games over 7 days instead of five over 8 and an extra day for pU between the last two. How about if pU only had one day rather than two before FSU AND issues with their flight being delayed. The boiler staff also had time to prep for the game whereas IU didn't know St. Mary's was their opponent until the day before. A "bit of difference" indeed.

Actually, Purdue arrived on the morning of the 28th (overnight flight) and left the evening of the 29th but because of weather arrived in the early 30th ( approx 2:30 AM) the day of the game. IU really has a 3-day break in the schedule. Purdue's was far shorter and travel more rigorous. Sorry if the facts get in the way of your opinion.

• Haha
Reactions: Crayfish57

I love the B1G in basketball, but let's be real. The big ten lost. Wiscy lost at home and we haven't won there since Moby Dick was a minnow. Michigan lost at home. Let's not get ahead of ourselves with "easily the better conference". At the end of the day, I do believe we are better, but it's not by much and this series a very real example. Hell, Purdue only pulled away from a horrible FSU team in the last 10 minutes of their game.

Crean is gone for far more reasons than the schudule. The schedule had nothing to do with it. JMO.

Both my schools still hate each other. Hurray. And we both look good this season. Double hurray.

Let the games begin.

Reactions: kkott
Actually, Purdue arrived on the morning of the 28th (overnight flight) and left the evening of the 29th but because of weather arrived in the early 30th ( approx 2:30 AM) the day of the game. IU really has a 3-day break in the schedule. Purdue's was far shorter and travel more rigorous. Sorry if the facts get in the way of your opinion.
No one here GAF. Facts are always in your way. Here is a fact for you, no one here GAF what you have to say.

There is an old saying: when you can't win a discussion, just curse and insult the other person and it will make you feel better. The problem is, you do that because you do not have a cogent position. That fits you to a tee.

I already hate myself for replying, but: how did you play on Nov 27 and then the 30th and you had a 1 day break, but we played on March 12 and the 15th and had a 3 day break? Oh yeah, and we won in Dayton. It was the next game 2 days later and having to travel west that was the killer. Not to mention the emotions of cementing a tourney bid, playing well in the B10 tournament, and we were playing a good tournament team at the end, while you were playing a team that lost to Siena, Troy, UCF, Stetson and Nebraska. Did you factor that into your calculations?

Reactions: hookyIU1990
There is an old saying: when you can't win a discussion, just curse and insult the other person and it will make you feel better. The problem is, you do that because you do not have a cogent position. That fits you to a tee.
There is a constant saying , if you want to be an a$$hole go do it on your own board. Why do you feel this need to be a dick ? You have no position except being an a$$hole . Go away.

dumb ....

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Not being argumentative, but do you think Duke, Gonzaga; FSU and Marquette guards are statues. If you are short and have the ability to drive to the hoop and lead your team in rebounding as a freshman you possess two physical gifts - strength and quickness - as well as strong basketball IQ and instincts. I was quite skeptical of all the hoopla about Smith, but MP, who had seldom shown great confidence in freshman unless they were very special, has not wavered a bit in playing Smith or Loyer. Starting two freshman guards is a recipe for disaster when you travel 2000 miles and play three John majors in four days. So far neither of them has blinked. Sunday night will be an interesting game because Big Ten games are different as we all know. With only one senior and he is new to the team, I am surprised where we are and wonder if our youth will catch up with us early in conference play. You have lots of experience and maturity, so you should feel confident. It will be an entertaining season and that is what all Big Ten basketball fans savor.

PU will lose some B1G road games, they are not going undefeated. Painter’s teams have the same M.O. -peak in November & December and lose in March to a team that is a match up nightmare for PUs lower level ranked recruits.
Thinking the same thing. I just hope that in March.... I can say, like I have in the past.... that PU Chokes in the Big Dance again.

You should seriously consider jumping off a cliff.

And got were playing one of the worst P5 teams of all time. GFY

They plant a 7’4” goalkeeper under the bucket as a rim protector when their perimeter guys get burned off the dribble
Right, and all the guards have to do is funnel to the lane. Makes playing defense much easier. It's almost like playing one side of the player only. Take Edey out of the middle and then the flaws start showing ... at least Painter does a better job of hiding them than Crean did Hulls..

Teams are doing a poor job attacking Edey though. There's a hole in the middle of the defense in between the ft line and restricted area when Edey drops, and in the same relative area sideline. FSU found it multiple times. Better teams will exploit it. On that note Edey's improved his awareness drastically .. still dorky AF and mechanical but with better patience.

Reactions: kkott
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT