ADVERTISEMENT

I think Glass gives Cream one more year

I wish it weren't so but I just don't see him firing him after winning the big ten last season
Do you see Glass giving Crean an extension after this season? Glass wouldn't give Crean an extension after last season and this year has been a dumpster fire.
Do you see Crean coming back with 3 years on his contract? He won't be able to recruit anyone. Recruiting the class of 18 Crean won't be able to guarentee he'll still be here after their soph season.

If Glass has made it known that he's not offering an extension then it's safe to assume Crean is already looking for a school that'll give him a long term deal.

Last edited:
I won't speak for you, but if I am being asked to explain why I should not be fired, I would talk about more than the last year.

While trying to be profound, you actually make a pretty valid point for the removal of Tom Crean.

If a college basketball coach has to explain why he shouldn't be fired then he absolutely should be fired.

Well done.

Reactions: russelltodd
At this level....ideally, the explanation was made last year as to why he would or would not be fired this year...and what must necessarily have changed this year to avoid termination. What is changing here is that the "entire body of work" is ever-expanding. How much more body of work is needed to reach a definitive answer about Crean's status? Given relatively level results, if nine years isn't the correct number....what is? 10? 15? I would argue that the "body of work" will be a larger version of existing data.

Do you see Glass giving Crean an extension after this season? Glass wouldn't give Crean an extension after last season and this year has been a dumpster fire.
Do you see Crean coming back with 3 years on his contract? He won't be able to recruit anyone. Recruiting the class of 18 Crean won't be able to guarentee he'll still be here after their soph season.

If Glass has made it known that he's not offering an extension then it's safe to assume Crean is already looking for a school that'll give him a long term deal.
Should of been fired two years ago but either way this cannot continue. He needs to take the snake oil salesman talk to another school.

Should of been fired two years ago but either way this cannot continue. He needs to take the snake oil salesman talk to another school.
He should have been let go 6 years ago. He underachieved in year 3, the same year Brad Stevens was in his 2nd consecutive title game. IU should have made the move before the Celtics came calling.

I really think the posters that proclaim "Crean cannot coach" are off the mark. If couldn't coach how did we win the Big Ten regular season twice in four years? There is obviously a problem with his consistency but I think that saying he cannot coach is an oversimplification. It is more complicated than you describe.

Undoubtedly Crean knows, or should know, more than anybody on this board about coaching basketball. That is not the issue. The issue is that he has been unable to get anywhere near the best out of the players on this team. Nobody on this year's team looks like they have bettered their game this season. And things don't look any brighter for the team next year.

Undoubtedly Crean knows, or should know, more than anybody on this board about coaching basketball. That is not the issue. The issue is that he has been unable to get anywhere near the best out of the players on this team. Nobody on this year's team looks like they have bettered their game this season. And things don't look any brighter for the team next year.

That to me has been the most infuriating thing about the Crean tenure. Last year excluded, I don't think there is a noticeable improvement in his team's play overall, over the course of a season.

With the fizzles occurring in the NCAAs, they actually have shown they regressed...

Hopefully, the first domino has fallen with the Mizzou coach out

after browsing around....one impression I have is that Mizzou (fans) does indeed value Crean's B1G title last year....much the same way we valued his FF at Marquette pre-hire. They think something is wrong with IU fans. I'm good with that.

after browsing around....one impression I have is that Mizzou (fans) does indeed value Crean's B1G title last year....much the same way we valued his FF at Marquette pre-hire. They think something is wrong with IU fans. I'm good with that.

I'm good with that too.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Fool me once and fool me twice. Heck why not fool me a third time! Good ridance.

then you must be an IU fan.....right?

50 years . . .

. . . I remember when the decision was made to replace Lou Watson. That was my first go-round with a basketball coaching search at IU . . . and the best men's bball search we've done since then was hiring Crean. It's time to do this right for a change . . . and thank Crean for putting a platform under the program to stop the free fall that was occurring prior to Crean's arrival.

BTW, I have contacts with a bball radio announcer in SE Missouri. I haven't checked with him, but there's a fair degree of sophistication in Missouri regarding basketball. I suspect that they're a bit more cool about Crean than we might think.

When was the last scholarship offer? January? Crean usually dispenses schollies like M&Ms.

I think IU has to fire Crean. You can't bring Crean back unless you give him an extension(which won't happen). How the hell could he convince a recruit to come play for him without any idea if he will be there beyond next season?

Reactions: bailey777
I think IU has to fire Crean. You can't bring Crean back unless you give him an extension(which won't happen). How the hell could he convince a recruit to come play for him without any idea if he will be there beyond next season?
I think both are waiting for the other to do something. Glass has likely told Crean there is no decision but also that there cannot be an extension this year. Crean has to decide whether to take a job or maximize his buyout. If he doesn't think he will get a job for a while (year or so and wants to be an ESPN analyst) he may want to maximize his buyout and will just sit until they fire him.

He won the big ten with the big ten being terrible. IU also had the easiest big ten schedule I can ever remember them having in the last 30 years.He gets way to much credit for last years title. Look what happened when he went up against a good team ( NC) in the tourney. They got smoked!

Kentucky wasn't a good team last year? LOL

North Carolina and Kansas weren't good teams this year? IU won the conference last year, of course that makes you upset. Not surprising.

Reactions: echs86
We completely underperformed this year. The whole fanbase expects a change. He'd be a fool not to pull the trigger now.

Do it, Glass.

Did we exceed pre season expectations last year? Forget the "outright" BT title, we were a 5 seed.

I don't think we have ever exceeded expectations under Crean,which is unfathonable. The reason being that Crean being on our sideline lowers expectations dramatically. Just by that fact alone we should exceed expectations annually.

And when we underperform, which we can bank on being at least 1/2 the time, we are horrible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT