ADVERTISEMENT

I think Glass gives Cream one more year

Winning the B1G last year holds as much weight as finishing nearly dead last this season. He cannot coach and has squandered too much talent and now he can't recruit to the level IU deserves.
He won the big ten with the big ten being terrible. IU also had the easiest big ten schedule I can ever remember them having in the last 30 years.He gets way to much credit for last years title. Look what happened when he went up against a good team ( NC) in the tourney. They got smoked!

I wish it weren't so but I just don't see him firing him after winning the big ten last season

I really hope last year doesn't factor into the decision. It should really be where the program is headed, and its general health. Neither of which are good. If Crean can see the bigger picture at all, his agent has been working on an exit strategy on Crean's behest.

I really hope last year doesn't factor into the decision. It should really be where the program is headed, and its general health. Neither of which are good. If Crean can see the bigger picture at all, his agent has been working on an exit strategy on Crean's behest.

I never had a performance review where we talked about what happened two years ago.
You got it and bringing him back for what? Next year would be a disaster so you delay the inevitable for another year? We are already two years past where he should have been fired and he has almost been here a decade now. This needs to end.

I listened to a podcast on the assembly call yesterday and all three guys said they have never seem such apathy from the fans as they do now. Could you imagine next year!

Reactions: russelltodd
Winning the B1G last year holds as much weight as finishing nearly dead last this season. He cannot coach and has squandered too much talent and now he can't recruit to the level IU deserves.
You can make a case that he is not consistent as a coach but IMHO he has shown he can coach well enough to win Big 10 titles. So, he CAN coach. The question is can he coach well enough to win consistently at an elite level?

You can make a case that he is not consistent as a coach but IMHO he has shown he can coach well enough to win Big 10 titles. So, he CAN coach. The question is can he coach well enough to win consistently at an elite level?
How many years does he need to prove he can win at an elite level? 17 years of coaching should be more than enough to judge him on I would think. He cannot coach at an elite lever period.

I wish it weren't so but I just don't see him firing him after winning the big ten last season
uspw_5789694.jpg

Recruiting has dipped big time..I don't see him winning st a high level for a while if he did stay, so the time to leave is now. I think Crean even knows they won't be any better next year

Reactions: bailey777
I never had a performance review where we talked about what happened two years ago.
Well there is BIG difference between a semi-annual or an annual performance review and initiating a preceding to terminate (fire) a contract employee.

I won't speak for you, but if I am being asked to explain why I should not be fired, I would talk about more than the last year.

Recruiting has dipped big time..I don't see him winning st a high level for a while if he did stay, so the time to leave is now. I think Crean even knows they won't be any better next year
Well that is a different issue than what I was addressing in my post. From reading this forum, would say that many people here share your opinion.

Wait, he went 37-29 the two years before he won the conference championship last year and then promptly followed that up with a 16-14 season.

Is that what we aspire to? Winning the conference last year in the context of the obvious trend and inability to maintain even any semblance of consistency renders that conference championship less than moot in my opinion.

No way last year has any bearing on anything.

He won the big ten with the big ten being terrible. IU also had the easiest big ten schedule I can ever remember them having in the last 30 years.He gets way to much credit for last years title. Look what happened when he went up against a good team ( NC) in the tourney. They got smoked!

Nothing personal, but I can't let you get away with this angle. Winning the Big Ten is a big accomplishment. Crean has two of them and I'm not taking that away from him. Go after his weaknesses, sure, but not the championships. I was ticked that they lost on senior night to OSU and looked flat (in 2013), but they came back and won it all on the road at Michigan in a hell of a game. They didn't blow it that time, and they didn't blow it when Yogi drained the 3 at Carver-Hawkeye. Big time wins and those go to Crean's credit.

And also, the Big Ten was excellent in 2013 when IU won it outright.

Nothing personal, but I can't let you get away with this angle. Winning the Big Ten is a big accomplishment. Crean has two of them and I'm not taking that away from him. Go after his weaknesses, sure, but not the championships. I was ticked that they lost on senior night to OSU and looked flat (in 2013), but they came back and won it all on the road at Michigan in a hell of a game. They didn't blow it that time, and they didn't blow it when Yogi drained the 3 at Carver-Hawkeye. Big time wins and those go to Crean's credit.

And also, the Big Ten was excellent in 2013 when IU won it outright.
I never said 2013 wasn't good. I was talking 2015 and years from now people remember ncaa success. At least I do. I have seen enough and no five star is coming in to save him. It needs to end

Reactions: jaypay23
My source tells me that Crean sent this video to Glass and it brought him to tears.

No way he let's him go after this. And yes, it's 'Hutch'.

I really think the posters that proclaim "Crean cannot coach" are off the mark. If couldn't coach how did we win the Big Ten regular season twice in four years? There is obviously a problem with his consistency but I think that saying he cannot coach is an oversimplification. It is more complicated than you describe.

Reactions: echs86 and jnono
I really think the posters that proclaim "Crean cannot coach" are off the mark. If couldn't coach how did we win the Big Ten regular season twice in four years? There is obviously a problem with his consistency but I think that saying he cannot coach is an oversimplification. It is more complicated than you describe.

He's a negative as a coach. If a great coach can produce 4 or 5 more wins than would be expected based on the current talent, Crean generally produces 4 or 5 fewer. He takes all the parts and somehow builds them into something less than if he'd not touched them at all.

If Crean were a mutual fund investment you'd sell believe me, especially when you consider how much the inconsistent performance is costing you in commissions AND opportunities to make some real money.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT