ADVERTISEMENT

I hope the fans that left early are barred from ever attending a game in any sport at IU ever again.

Both programs suck but at least PU has a win against a B1G team. We’d probably get shellacked by NW now

Everyone has a breaking point and who knows when that is? Leaving a 40 point game in the cold and rain in the 3rd quarter isn't bad in my opinion. The football program is really fortunate to have people come watch them at all.

That being said, forget the season so far. The real season starts now - against the rest of the non-top 10 schedule.

Everyone has a breaking point and who knows when that is? Leaving a 40 point game in the cold and rain in the 3rd quarter isn't bad in my opinion. The football program is really fortunate to have people come watch them at all.

That being said, forget the season so far. The real season starts now - against the rest of the non-top 10 schedule.
Forgetting Michigan?

Reactions: Lucy01 and Seyton
Yeah, but they're not an offensive juggernaut, though. It seems like that game should be close(r).
Seyton.... Methinks you've been smoking something.... I remember too many years when we'd come oh so close to OSU then get bitch slapped by the Wolves.... I don't see a reversal this year

I don't care that we were losing.
I don't care that it was raining.
I don't care about wanting to beat the rain.
I don't care about any other excuse.

The stadium was two thirds empty by the start of the third quarter.
Inexcusable fan behavior. Fan support simply has to be more resilient than that.
And yes, I was there until the end. Section 10, row 15, seat 112.
Are you kidding me? I was watching the Illinois/Penn St. game and I noticed in the OT’s that a fair portion of their fans were gone. And that’s Penn St!

Reactions: Radio Zero
Mellow TF out dude, reality check, you're not at Nebraska, Tennessee, or any other school with a crazy fanbase where tickets are ridiculously in demand even when the team sucks. Indiana doesn't have hundreds of thousands of fans competing for tickets, it's not like this was a bunch of rich people who were depriving other IU fans of tickets and then decided to bail in the second quarter because of a little rain. The only reason Indiana has had two sellouts this year is because they've had two Ohio teams at home and their fans have bought all the extra tickets. CTA wants the fans to say, don't get run out of your own stadium in primetime and the fans will stay.

I can tell you I had a great night after I left the game, I am not going to waste an hour and a half for no reason watching and cheering for a team that doesn't even look like they want to be there. If you're at the point where you are wishing ill-will on fans for leaving early in a rainy blowout, you're too emotionally invested and need to find another hobby, seriously that's a major issue.

This whole I paid for my ticket so I am going to sit through to the end of the game no matter what is classic sunk cost fallacy. There is no logic behind your decision to stay until the end of the game if you don't believe you're going to get any joy from watching something and only stay because you paid for it, you are not using fundamental logic. You're not getting your money you paid for the ticket, gas, parking, hotel, etc back, and your experience isn't going to get any better, so at that point your just wasting your own time for no reason.

Mellow TF out dude, reality check, you're not at Nebraska, Tennessee, or any other school with a crazy fanbase where tickets are ridiculously in demand even when the team sucks. Indiana doesn't have hundreds of thousands of fans competing for tickets, it's not like this was a bunch of rich people who were depriving other IU fans of tickets and then decided to bail in the second quarter because of a little rain. The only reason Indiana has had two sellouts this year is because they've had two Ohio teams at home and their fans have bought all the extra tickets. CTA wants the fans to say, don't get run out of your own stadium in primetime and the fans will stay.

I can tell you I had a great night after I left the game, I am not going to waste an hour and a half for no reason watching and cheering for a team that doesn't even look like they want to be there. If you're at the point where you are wishing ill-will on fans for leaving early in a rainy blowout, you're too emotionally invested and need to find another hobby, seriously that's a major issue.

This whole I paid for my ticket so I am going to sit through to the end of the game no matter what is classic sunk cost fallacy. There is no logic behind your decision to stay until the end of the game if you don't believe you're going to get any joy from watching something and only stay because you paid for it, you are not using fundamental logic. You're not getting your money you paid for the ticket, gas, parking, hotel, etc back, and your experience isn't going to get any better, so at that point your just wasting your own time for no reason.
Would have rather drunk water out of a B town sewer than watched the 2nd half. Glad I unloaded my tickets to this one

Reactions: Lucy01
IU’s problem is the same problem that schools like Purdue and Rutgers and Maryland have in this conference: these are schools that don’t have the football factories like at the schools that seat 90,000 plus. They might play well in the Group of 5 but let’s not kid ourselves. They should just thank their lucky stars they get to be in a P5 conference because at the end of the day, they are all small-time universities playing in a big boy conference.

I already regret this post. The main gist of it I still mean, though.
I don't think there's ever a justified reason, or that it should ever be acceptable, to leave a game early.
(Other than an emergency situation, obviously.)

But I was still really frustrated when I woke up and looking for an outlet.
The cursing and the thing about hoping people crashed,
or that I hope their lives are miserable, were way beyond the pale.

I apologize for that much.
You're 100% wrong, and the only reason you've had any support on this feed is because your post was so crazy it was entertaining to read. If you want to waste your own time, be my guest, but the patheticly ignorant way you talk about other fans is just embarrassing, fans can do whatever tf they want and it's none of your business the decisions they make. If they pay the price of admission, and aren't hindering other people's ability to watch a game, they can leave whenever they want and you can keep your stupid overinvested mouth shut, they can leave in a tie game with two minutes to go in the fourth quarter for all I care, I disagree with that decision, but it's still their decision to make not mine(let alone the scenario last night where fans were drenched in rain and their team was run out of the stadium). I am not going to be empathetic for any fan even after a loss that is so far out of bounds they want to take it out on other fans. As for your actual decision not to leave the game, I already posted about how horrible that logic was but again, you're free to make your own choices.

Reactions: Kelper
IU’s problem is the same problem that schools like Purdue and Rutgers and Maryland have in this conference: these are schools that don’t have the football factories like at the schools that seat 90,000 plus. They might play well in the Group of 5 but let’s not kid ourselves. They should just thank their lucky stars they get to be in a P5 conference because at the end of the day, they are all small-time universities playing in a big boy conference.
WRONG, Rutgers has the 5th largest enrollment in the B1G, larger than both Michigan schools, Wisconsin, and Iowa. Conference alignment has to do with the fact that(outside of Northwestern) these are flagship universities in their state and has nothing to do with the fact that they do or do not have a successful football program.

WRONG, Rutgers has the 5th largest enrollment in the B1G, larger than both Michigan schools, Wisconsin, and Iowa. Conference alignment has to do with the fact that(outside of Northwestern) these are flagship universities in their state and has nothing to do with the fact that they do or do not have a successful football program.
Rutgers will never overcome decades upon decades that these other schools have invested in big time football. IU won’t either. The schools like Michigan and OSU and Penn State were “all in” on football when these other schools were trying to even figure out what football is. Now, the only way you see a decline for those programs for an extended time is when an incompetent administration happens to bungle the hires and that only happens at universities like IU.

Rutgers will never overcome decades upon decades that these other schools have invested in big time football. IU won’t either. The schools like Michigan and OSU and Penn State were “all in” on football when these other schools were trying to even figure out what football is. Now, the only way you see a decline for those programs for an extended time is when an incompetent administration happens to bungle the hires and that only happens at universities like IU.
My point is it wasn't luck that these teams are in the B1G, it's very obvious some schools have invested more in their football program in the last century than others, just like how some teams have invested more in the basketball program than others, but it's not like these schools(IU, Purdue, Maryland, Rutgers) are the equivalent of Ball State, Toledo, and Western Michigan and anyone propagating the narrative that those schools are equal is just lying.

Reactions: JohnsyRick
IU lost to the best offense in the country. Your boys (Brohm and Purdue) got smoked by a middling (at best) Wisconsin team. Sorry if that dose of reality ended the twelve hour hard-on you've had since the IU game, troll.

You act like we’re playing well and barely lost. We’re getting crushed mercilessly every week. Purdue is 4-3. We’re 2-5. Purdue has the signature Iowa win. We have Western Ky. Just stop it. Wake up and take the blinders off.

The

Inexcusable fan behavior. Fan support simply has to be more resilient than that.
The ones with two paper bags over their heads, who were staggering out the exits before halftime?

What if the halftime score was OSU 101 - IU 0?

What if you/IU hasn't beat OSU in 33 + years, & it looks like not only are you outclassed in this game, but the players aren't giving their full effort?

Maybe try winning first/more/more consistently, & the fans won't abandon the games/players/team so quickly?

I'll bet if they beat Purdue this year, fewer fans swill quit on them. Should be a close game.

Wait, did you see that? OSU just scored again, & again, & again, & again.

Make it stop

:O

My point is it wasn't luck that these teams are in the B1G, it's very obvious some schools have invested more in their football program in the last century than others, just like how some teams have invested more in the basketball program than others, but it's not like these schools(IU, Purdue, Maryland, Rutgers) are the equivalent of Ball State, Toledo, and Western Michigan and anyone propagating the narrative that those schools are equal is just lying.
The MAC competes pretty well with the lower portion of the conference, honestly. Ball State whipped Kevin “Otis” Wilson pretty regularly.

The MAC competes pretty well with the lower portion of the conference, honestly. Ball State whipped Kevin “Otis” Wilson pretty regularly.
Im not arguing from a football standpoint, the universities in the B1G are significantly larger, richer, and more inclined academically than the schools in the MAC, it has nothing to do with their success in football that IU for example is in the B1G and Ball State is in the MAC, are you getting my point because I have had to clarify it twice now?

Here's the deal, dude: Some of us have been buying tickets and driving 4 hours for this garbage for close to 50 years. We keep coming back, and keep coming back, and keep coming back, because somehow they convince us it will be different this time. It never, ever is. Some of have seen the same movie 300 times, and we pay to see it again. People who want to rip long-time IU football fans are literally some of the most clueless fools that have ever walked this earth. And sadly, IU is in the process of pissing away another generation of young, energetic fans that simply aren't going to waste their time and money with it for even a fraction as long as I have.
That was awesome. Thank you.

Long time IU fans have unfortunately seen this story during previous decades. In the 1967 season we went to the 1968 Rose Bowl, but that good feeling disappeared in a few years. We went to the Holiday Bowl in 1979, but Lee Corso was fired a few years later. I thought for sure the success under Mallory would continue, but that stopped in the mid 90s. The bowl game in 2007 did not lead to any further success, and the last two years of winning have not continued. Maybe the rest of this season will at least put us back to .500, and then make most of us feel a little better.

You're 100% wrong, and the only reason you've had any support on this feed is because your post was so crazy it was entertaining to read. If you want to waste your own time, be my guest, but the patheticly ignorant way you talk about other fans is just embarrassing, fans can do whatever tf they want and it's none of your business the decisions they make. If they pay the price of admission, and aren't hindering other people's ability to watch a game, they can leave whenever they want and you can keep your stupid overinvested mouth shut, they can leave in a tie game with two minutes to go in the fourth quarter for all I care, I disagree with that decision, but it's still their decision to make not mine(let alone the scenario last night where fans were drenched in rain and their team was run out of the stadium). I am not going to be empathetic for any fan even after a loss that is so far out of bounds they want to take it out on other fans. As for your actual decision not to leave the game, I already posted about how horrible that logic was but again, you're free to make your own choices.
I guarantee you would be saying something different if Assembly Hall started to empty out at halftime, even in close games, like Memorial Stadium so often does.

I guarantee you would be saying something different if Assembly Hall started to empty out at halftime, even in close games, like Memorial Stadium so often does.
I've been to every game this season and the only games where Memorial Stadium has "emptied out" at halftime were OSU(obviously) and Idaho, the OSU game was 44-7 at half and the Idaho game was 35-0 at half, neither would be considered a close game by most people' definition of the word close. The only reason Cincy "looked empty" at the start of the third quarter was because there were some 15 to 20 thousand people waiting in line on the concourse. This was evident when the stadium was completely full again by the end of the third quarter. So your argument that fans are leaving during close games is completely inaccurate.

Last edited:

But we were supposed to be a top 10 team??

Reactions: CC Mac

A. Don't think it's ever rained in Assembly Hall.

B. ICBW, but I don't believe an IU basketball team has received such high preseason acclaim and then failed to such an extent, with an opposing team coming in and totally dominating before the game is even half over.

B. ICBW, but I don't believe an IU basketball team has received such high preseason acclaim and then failed to such an extent, with an opposing team coming in and totally dominating before the game is even half over.
There’s always the fond memories of IPFW and Indiana State in Lil Arch’s resume. Been attending games at AH since the mid 70s. It used to be one of the most intimidating environs to play. Now, not so much.

I've been to every game this season and the only games where Memorial Stadium has "emptied out" at halftime were OSU(obviously) and Idaho, the OSU game was 44-7 at half and the Idaho game was 35-0 at half, neither would be considered a close game by most people' definition of the word close. The only reason Cincy "looked empty" at the start of the third quarter was because there were some 15 to 20 thousand people waiting in line on the concourse. This was evident when the stadium was completely full again by the end of the third quarter. So your argument that fans are leaving during close games is completely inaccurate.
It was not a statement on this season specifically, and nowhere in my comment did I say it was.

It was not a statement on this season specifically, and nowhere in my comment did I say it was.
Then you have 0 right to freak out about the fans leaving this season, the entire premise behind your post is ridiculously outdated. Also I like how you're changing the argument to the fans are leaving during close games, did you finally realize is was psychotic to wish your fellow fans would get into a car accident on their drive home because they left a rainy blowout early? I doubt it as you still have the title that anyone who left early should be banned from attending any sporting events at IU ever again.

There’s always the fond memories of IPFW and Indiana State in Lil Arch’s resume. Been attending games at AH since the mid 70s. It used to be one of the most intimidating environs to play. Now, not so much.
it helped having a 6'5" psycho-genius wearing plaid jackets on the sideline

these 5'8' weenies...notsomuch...

I remember a game sometime in the mid 90's when I got caught on Hwy 37.... (sound familiar?), arrived at an IU-OSU game late. Score was already 14-0 when my wife and I found our seats. Quickly became 21-0 and we were surrounded by Buckeye fans. Oh and did I mention it was drizzly?? We probably weren't in our seats 15 minutes... went to the car and drove to Kirkwood and watched the rest of the game with a steaming hot pile of Biz fries on my table... No regrets to this day.

I remember a game sometime in the mid 90's when I got caught on Hwy 37.... (sound familiar?), arrived at an IU-OSU game late. Score was already 14-0 when my wife and I found our seats. Quickly became 21-0 and we were surrounded by Buckeye fans. Oh and did I mention it was drizzly?? We probably weren't in our seats 15 minutes... went to the car and drove to Kirkwood and watched the rest of the game with a steaming hot pile of Biz fries on my table... No regrets to this day.
I’m gonna blaspheme

I hate Biz fries

• Wow
Reactions: hookyIU1990

Point A., no rain but the roof did fall in.

• Haha
Reactions: SoccerSammy
I've been going to games since I was eight years old in 2003, am an IU grad, and have had season tickets since graduating, but whatever.
We always stay until the end. It was a choice of watching the train wreck continue or get a head start on our 2 hour drive home. I've gutted out more ass kicking games than you have. I don't have to prove anything to anyone by staying. We got the hell out and was home as the post game show was starting.

It was ugly, disappointing and we left that turd in our rear view mirror. We will be back for more heartbreak in two weeks.

You act like we’re playing well and barely lost. We’re getting crushed mercilessly every week. Purdue is 4-3. We’re 2-5. Purdue has the signature Iowa win. We have Western Ky. Just stop it. Wake up and take the blinders off.
Yea, that 20-15 “merciless crushing” by #9 MSU was terrible , exaggerate much. Yes, the OSU game was a crushing, PU will get their shot at OSU, we’ll see how they fare. My guess is not well, OSU is just significantly better than the rest of this league.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
To the OP, I’ve been to almost every home game for the last 55 years, rarely leave early and I’ve witnessed mostly bad football on the part of my Hoosiers. I go and tailgate with a great group of friends and thoroughly enjoy fall weekends at my alma mater on one of the great college campuses. All that said, our group of 8 left just before the half wet, cold and utterly defeated , we all commented, it was so bad that even a lot of OSU fans were leaving !
I’m often critical of our “fair weather “ fans, but this season is not on them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT