ADVERTISEMENT

I had an unusual incident on the golf course today. It was when I had a

McNutt76

Hall of Famer
Sep 1, 2001
downhill putt for birdie on a difficult par 4 hole.

A member of our foursome had just finished putting from off the green and his ball had finished about a foot below the hole. Because it is legal to leave the pin in when a golfer is off the green and it is not a penalty for my ball to make contact with another ball, I hurriedly putted with the intention of using the pin and the other golfer's ball for backstops.

Just when my ball was about to hit the other ball, a member of our foursome hurriedly picked it up to give it to our playing partner as a gimme and my ball proceeded to run about eight feet past the ball as a result. I then missed my par putt and wound up with a bogey.

That was the first time anybody has ever done anything like that in all of the years I have played golf. It wound up costing me about $10.00 as a result.

tumblr_inline_mjl793rjgK1rf2ilg.gif

Reactions: IUdonger
What happened next? Did you stare him down, Brother McNutt76?

Peace.

I wasn't happy, but I kept my composure from an external standpoint. However, it really ate at me the last two holes and I bogeyed both of them even though I had good par opportunities on each hole.

When something like that happens, my adrenaline causes me to hit the ball farther and that is not a good thing on approach shots. It also affects my short game.

A member of our foursome had just finished putting from off the green and his ball had finished about a foot below the hole. Because it is legal to leave the pin in when a golfer is off the green and it is not a penalty for my ball to make contact with another ball, I hurriedly putted with the intention of using the pin and the other golfer's ball for backstops.

Just when my ball was about to hit the other ball, a member of our foursome hurriedly picked it up to give it to our playing partner as a gimme and my ball proceeded to run about eight feet past the ball as a result. I then missed my par putt and wound up with a bogey.

That was the first time anybody has ever done anything like that in all of the years I have played golf. It wound up costing me about $10.00 as a result.

So was your ball on or off the green? I don't know rules of golf, but I can't imagine that you can or should putt before giving the other golfer time to mark his ball. At the very least it sounds questionable. Maybe you should give golf up and spend more time with your dog. I think the competition is making you crazy(er).

I wasn't happy, but I kept my composure from an external standpoint. However, it really ate at me the last two holes and I bogeyed both of them even though I had good par opportunities on each hole.

When something like that happens, my adrenaline causes me to hit the ball farther and that is not a good thing on approach shots. It also affects my short game.
DELETE YOUR ACCOUNT!

So was your ball on or off the green? I don't know rules of golf, but I can't imagine that you can or should putt before giving the other golfer time to mark his ball. At the very least it sounds questionable. Maybe you should give golf up and spend more time with your dog. I think the competition is making you crazy(er).
McNutt is wrong about the rules of golf, which is farking hilarious, and you are right about his violation of basic etiquette, as well.

First, it is a two-stroke penalty for a ball to hit a flagstick, if that ball was struck from the green. It doesn't matter where other golfers are. If you are putting from the green, you cannot hit a flagstick. (Rule 17)

Second, while McNutt was right that the other player should not have picked up another ball while his ball was in motion, the same rule which states that also stipulates that a player may lift his own ball or ask that another ball be lifted if he believes the ball will assist in any other player's shot, and common courtesy dictates that McNutt should have given his playing partners time to make that decision. (Rule 22)

EDIT: Furthermore, since McNutt admitted that the reason he putted quickly was to take advantage of the backstop, he was purposefully preventing a Rule be enforced, which should have resulted in his immediate disqualification under Rule 3-4.

(Gimmes are also illegal in stroke play, anyway, but that rule is violated by amateurs all the time.)

In short, McNutt was in the wrong, and should be ashamed of himself.

Last edited:
McNutt is wrong about the rules of golf, which is farking hilarious, and you are right about his violation of basic etiquette, as well.

First, it is a two-stroke penalty for a ball to hit a flagstick, if that ball was struck from the green. It doesn't matter where other golfers are. If you are putting from the green, you cannot hit a flagstick. (Rule 17)

Second, while McNutt was right that the other player should not have picked up another ball while his ball was in motion, the same rule which states that also stipulates that a player may lift his own ball or ask that another ball be lifted if he believes the ball will assist in any other player's shot, and common courtesy dictates that McNutt should have given his playing partners time to make that decision. (Rule 22)

(Gimmes are also illegal in stroke play, anyway, but that rule is violated by amateurs all the time.)

I used to like golf.. then McNutt happened. Plus, I blame golf for daylight savings time in Indiana. If I ever get a chance I'm going to take a huge shit on a green.

giphy.gif

I don't think the Rules of Golf address that, but I'm fairly certain it's a violation of the health code.

It would be considered a loose impediment, and thus could be removed. Now if TMP took a leak on the green then I'm not sure, as you can't sweep away casual water or dew.

I used to like golf.. then McNutt happened. Plus, I blame golf for daylight savings time in Indiana. If I ever get a chance I'm going to take a huge shit on a green.
Fun (not really) fact about daylight savings time, which I despise:

Because most time zones are shifted forward in time anyway, we're already suffering from DST in the winter, and in the summer, it's really double DST. Add the fact that we're on back end of our time zone and in the middle of summer, high noon around here doesn't actually happen until like 2 pm.

Reactions: IUdonger and T.M.P.
I have shit in 6 of the 18 holes on the golf course in my home town. I pissed in at least twice that many. I also did other things, but the narcs on this board would probably narc me out for that as well.

Just like the little bitch who narced me out to Peegs for posting nips.

If I found out who you are, I am going to crush your skull with a bat. I hope you get dick cancer.

I have shit in 6 of the 18 holes on the golf course in my home town. I pissed in at least twice that many. I also did other things, but the narcs on this board would probably narc me out for that as well.

Just like the little bitch who narced me out to Peegs for posting nips.

If I found out who you are, I am going to crush your skull with a bat. I hope you get dick cancer.
Your town course is shitty.

Reactions: C-$ and kkott

I was not on the green, so it was no penalty if my ball made contact with the other ball. If my ball had hit the other ball, the other golfer would have to put his ball back where it was before it was hit.

It wasn't legal for the golfer to pick up the other golfer's ball once my ball was in motion.

It would be considered a loose impediment, and thus could be removed. Now if TMP took a leak on the green then I'm not sure, as you can't sweep away casual water or dew.

Once my ball was in motion, he wasn't allowed to move it.

Hory Phuck! This came to me while I was cutting my 5 acre yard with hand clippers this afternoon, after taking my pet bear on a 5 mile walk on my hands, which occurred after I walked 36 holes this morning carrying all 4 bags of my foursome: I believe we just got punked by McNutt! If so: well done; hopefully you are rebounding. If not: you really have gotten lame.

I love daylight saving time because it gives me time to mow the grass after work, exercise outdoors after work or play golf after work. Honda would not have built a plant in Greensburg, IN if we had not gone to daylight saving time.

EDIT: Furthermore, since McNutt admitted that the reason he putted quickly was to take advantage of the backstop, he was purposefully preventing a Rule be enforced, which should have resulted in his immediate disqualification under Rule 3-4.

Didn't I say we were playing a match play format? If not, I should have done so. In match play, a golfer can make an opponent leave his ball in its place on the green. It also was legal for me to leave the pin in because I was on the fringe. Apparently, you missed that. We are allowed to concede putts in match play.

Did you see this part of my original post? Because it is legal to leave the pin in when a golfer is off the green and it is not a penalty for my ball to make contact with another ball. I was on the fringe, which is not considered the green.

Did you see this part of my original post? Because it is legal to leave the pin in when a golfer is off the green and it is not a penalty for my ball to make contact with another ball. I was on the fringe, which is not considered the green.
I was under the impression on the OP that you were on the green. You claimed you were putting for birdie.

Didn't I say we were playing a match play format? If not, I should have done so. In match play, a golfer can make an opponent leave his ball in its place on the green. It also was legal for me to leave the pin in because I was on the fringe. Apparently, you missed that. We are allowed to concede putts in match play.
No, you did not say you were in match play, and I also got the impression you were not the player off the green. It appears others did, as well.

However, if you read the decisions regarding Rules 2 and 22, you will see that you are still wrong. You may request the ball remain (or be replaced if it has already been lifted), but the other golfer does not have to honor that request. Plus, if the shot was conceded, you violated the rules by not giving the golfer an opportunity to lift his ball, and your team forfeited the hole. See decisions 2-4/8 and 22/5 for direct guidance on this very situation. Regardless of how you interpret what happened, the other player had a right to lift his ball, and your attempt to deprive him of that right was a violation.

I was not on the green, so it was no penalty if my ball made contact with the other ball. If my ball had hit the other ball, the other golfer would have to put his ball back where it was before it was hit.

It wasn't legal for the golfer to pick up the other golfer's ball once my ball was in motion.

You are a giant flaming douchebag.

Your OP said you had a downhill birdie putt....a putt indicates you were on the green.

Your "strategy" was a dick move.

For the record, I don't give three shits about the rules of golf in friendly competitions. Casual golfers have their own sets of rules everyone agrees to play by. This is only funny because McNutt is such an anal retentive goofball about these things. If he had been playing with my group, the rule violated would have been "Don't be a goddamn asshole," and rather than forfeiting the hole, the punishment would have been that we never invited him to play with us ever again.

For the record, I don't give three shits about the rules of golf in friendly competitions. Casual golfers have their own sets of rules everyone agrees to play by. This is only funny because McNutt is such an anal retentive goofball about these things. If he had been playing with my group, the rule violated would have been "Don't be a goddamn asshole," and rather than forfeiting the hole, the punishment would have been that we never invited him to play with us ever again.

The same here....I play twice a week, mostly all money games with friends, or official club matches/tourneys. Our money games are +/- 10x what McNutt is bitching about, minimum.

Our member/member tourney last weekend had a Calcutta auction, with 1st paying about $6,200.

In none of these events has anyone ever tried a dick move like McNutt where they rush to hit hoping to hit an opponents ball. Common courtesy is allowing your playing partners time to either mark the ball or pick up if it's conceded. What a douche.

Not good etiquette....seriously.

The same here....I play twice a week, mostly all money games with friends, or official club matches/tourneys. Our money games are +/- 10x what McNutt is bitching about, minimum.

Our member/member tourney last weekend had a Calcutta auction, with 1st paying about $6,200.

In none of these events has anyone ever tried a dick move like McNutt where they rush to hit hoping to hit an opponents ball. Common courtesy is allowing your playing partners time to either mark the ball or pick up if it's conceded. What a douche.
That's what first got me interested enough to even respond to this thread. I read the story and thought, in all the literally thousands of rounds of golf I've played over the years, I have never once seen anyone try what McNutt described doing. In the wrong foursome, pulling a move like that might get your ass kicked.

Reactions: twenty02

That's what you get for gambling on the golf course.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT