ADVERTISEMENT

I guess the Hanner rumor is true

Bo_Hunter

Recruit
Dec 6, 2014
I heard the rumor last night that Hanner suffered a knee injury. At least this morning it doesn't appear to be a serious season ending event. It does hurt us, but maybe it is time for April to get in gear and prove to CTC that he can back up Holt. For those of us that wanted to see more from Emmitt, we got our wish. I just hope Hanner is out for the shorter time of 2 weeks vs 4.

I've wanted to see more of Holt

but certainly not like this. We need Hanner.

Ohio State game

We won the OSU game and carried a lead into halftime with Hanner on the bench with foul trouble. Holt will have to play the minutes Hanner was getting and someone will have to play the minutes Holt was playing. CTC didn't sound very high on April during his radio show. Hartman and Hoetzel in the post? If April is ever going to play, it is now.

PSU suspended a guard that has been averaging 7.4 points per game. I guess that helps a little tonight.

I can see one of three, including

Hartman, Hoetzel, and Zeisloft playing the #4 position with Williams roaming the middle when Holt is out of the lineup. This lineup would have four outside shooters and a tough one to matchup with, should give Williams ample room to maneuver wherever.

April will not see the floor in a closely contested game. Look for a box and one on the defensive end.

Re: One injury away from a five guard line-up*

This could change the schedule on a Davis return, that is, if his health allows it.

It's the exact type of situation many of us feared for this team

Crean's roster mismanagement is going to impact us. Would have been nice to have a quality big, right?

Now we'll have to hope Holt can play more minutes and continue to develop. I like his game, just not sure if he's ready to be leaned on. Let's hope he is.

Otherwise going smaller creates mismatches that can help us but severely hurt us too. So we'll see what happens. Should be interesting.

What's your point?

Are you referring to the many of us here who have wanted to see more of Holt? Maybe even see him start? If so, I've not seen one poster state that Hanner cannot contribute or that Holt is the sole answer to our inside problems. Most believe we need Hanner. I think we need Hanner even though I firmly believe Holt should see significantly more minutes.

Losing Hanner hurts our depth is a big way.

Love what I see out of Holt. Don't know that

he's ready to contribute for 25 or 30 minutes per game. Aside from that, IF HMP is gone from the lineup for several weeks, how far does that set his "development" back.

But Holt isn't there to back up Holt....

so you lose that. Holt won't be able to get into foul trouble....which will, perhaps, limit him on defense.

The next man up thing only works until the next guy isn't worth a damn.

Re: It's the exact type of situation many of us feared for this team

You are absolutely right. Anyone who knows basketball at this level could see this is a very dangerous position to be in. Crean is responsible for this. I guess we can only hope Hanner's injury is not too serious. IU should not be in this position.

With the way the roster was put together there was no room for an injury up front. However, injuries happen so you have to be prepared for that. Holt will have play a lot and if not I am sure we go small. I really don't think we will see much April.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

what happens when Holt gets 2 fouls in the first 3 mins of the game?

And don't think PSU isn't going to go right him all game.

Holt is 6'7". When he's playing the post for us, we're already going

small. Holt has played great for being such a late addition, and before someone says it, I'm aware of his reach, but the bottom line is height, weight and strength do matter and he's at a deficit on all.... and for the time being, he's our best option in the middle. Unfathomable how we got into this position, imo. Regardless of whether CTC stays or goes, our AD needs to keep watch over this and insure short of an emergency, this doesn't happen again. And no, I don't consider LF or DD an emergency. Those are events that have to be prepared for.

With what I read in the press, If I was DD's parent he wouldn't.

And I agree Hanner's injury should not play into the equation.

If they could play I believe we would have seen them by now. Unless you're saying that Crean has no clue on there ability. Which is it?

Not here to argue but just wanted to point something out...

Julius Randle was 6'9 250 lbs but wingspan of 6'11. Holt is 6'7 but wingspan of 7'1. I think people get enamored with height a bit much when they should be paying attention to wingspan.

Maybe Bloom or other coaches can share their own personal pro/cons of height vs wingspan.

thankfully Crean was able to find Holt out of nowhere. So glad Crean is our coach. He is really great at evualting talent

Not all.... just not a knee jerk reactionary... This will be a good time for Holt to develop... and even April... for 2-4 weeks...

Re: what happens when Holt gets 2 fouls in the first 3 mins of the game?

If that happens there are options... Don't fret!

Re: But Holt isn't there to back up Holt....

If those things happen... we shall see what the next man will do...

Re: Love what I see out of Holt. Don't know that

2-4 stated but who knows with knee caps! I think it would be like last year... set back but comes back

Re: What's your point?

For a period of time... but this will be a good opportunity for Holt, April, Burton and Priller.

Not necessarily... many factors involved in game plans... I think we shall see what they can do when called upon...

I specifically talked about height, weight and strength because I knew

some would try and argue that his reach overrides those. It doesn't; it's great but it doesn't change the challenges of being undersized against taller, heavier and more experienced opponents. Holt has been a terrific find, but it doesn't change the fact that he's undersized and inexperienced in the post. Hes also been going against other team's backups some as well, so a starting gig with no backup is going to be a different ballgame.

Count me as one of those people enamored with height, weight and strength, and also depth. All of those are important and a 7'1" reach doesn't mitigate those other factors. To pull in your example, would we win more games with the smaller wingspan Julius Randle, or the larger wingspan Emmitt Holt?

This post was edited on 1/13 2:54 PM by kkott

How bad does April want to play?

If he puts in the work, CTC might give him a look. If not, his status won't change. Someone will step up. We aren't doomed because one player will miss a few games.

On a another subject. I don't expect Davis to come back, but I am curious what he has been cleared to do. Everything except contact, or just shooing and dribbling drills?

Re: I specifically talked about height, weight and strength because I knew

Holt doesn't seem to jump very well. Twice he has went up for dunks and he has come up short. Nebraska and OSU he tried.

You mean like the 1st half of the Louisville game?

Remember how Crean put April in during one of his line changes that tipped off a ten point run by Louisville?

If they were any good they would have played by now, but Crean played Jeff Howard over Luke F, so who knows I guess.

Re: Holt is 6'7". When he's playing the post for us, we're already going

Yes, more big men would be nice but... come on. Davis is injured. AND Hanner is injured. There is no way anyone could foresee that the two who were tabbed to start would BOTH be out with injuries. Say what you will about Luke and his transfer. Blame that on Coach Crean if you will. But it's just really bad luck when BOTH of your starting big men are out with injuries. The odds of that happening AND losing our other big man to a transfer is... not very high. Height, weight and strength ARE important, but Holt has still been doing really well on the boards. Looking purely at results, his wingspan and athleticism have been making up for height/weight issues.

I would not be surprised to see Burton pick up some minutes and back up Holt. Ryan is 6'7" and a bit more solid than Holt. He played some quality minutes in some of the non conference games. He is also a junior with two years of college ball experience, albiet DII, but Bellarmine is a decent DII program and the GLVC a top level DII conference. You can't discount two years of playing at the college level versus freshman who only competed against high school competition a few months ago. If April and Priller are not the answer, maybe Burton can fill those minutes, and play solid defense and rebound.

This post was edited on 1/13 4:23 PM by hoosierdogg

Re: I specifically talked about height, weight and strength because I knew

For not jumping well, as you say, he blocks a lot of shots.

who was tabbing Davis to start? CTC generally only plays 1 big, so I don't

think DD would have started over TW or HMP, unless CTC was upset with them. I think his role would have been backup for both. DD, EH nor what I hear about one of the recruits next year JM, to me seem to fit CTC's preferred offense. If they can't develop perimeter skills I don't look for any of them to be a regular starter unless we can't find the players that fit his system, or can't find a better post option. That's why I think we'll have a bubble there: duplication of player roles. Davis, nor Holt for that matter, are answers for us in the post. Both can help, but asking them to guard other teams 5s is generally asking too much of them at least in the B10, imo.

This has been one of my biggest criticisms of CTC: we need more size period. Look at almost every other B10 or top 40 roster: 5 or more players 6'9" or bigger: 2-3 who can play now and a couple to develop. We have 2, one of which was signed in May? We should have recruited another post for the class after NV because of the likelihood he would leave. Even with he and LF, we were still short on posts, especially whenever anyone realized PJ wasn't going to contribute. Someone brought up WI the other day and their situation with Kaminski. But,they have 4-5 guys 6'9" or bigger, plus Hayes who is 6'7" and 250. I don't blame CTC for LF transferring, but I do believe he should be responsible for building a roster that has depth at all positions. We still have too many wings and too few posts and that has been the case since he arrived. Some years we can get by without incident but it will bite us too frequently if we continue to shortchange ourselves underneath.

This post was edited on 1/13 5:38 PM by kkott

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT