ADVERTISEMENT

I find it surprising that the Conservative university

Status
Not open for further replies.

destewart

Junior
Jun 5, 2001
Up north permits alcohol sales at football, basketball and baseball games while its Liberal rival to the south does not. When you talk about revenue, meeting customer’s desires and Increasing attendance it is something that should not be overlooked. Btw, I never drink at a sporting event, but it is not because I do not partake, I just do not want to disrupt my intense interest in the games.

https://www.jconline.com/story/spor...ceed-1-million-during-2018-season/2574958002/

I gave up alcohol many years ago and I've had a couple bad experiences with drunks at sporting events. I still think alcohol sales should be allowed at IU games as long as there is a family section where drinking isn't allowed.

Talking about Hillsdale College? I don't know many universities that are conservative at all. just because of former Republican governor is the president does not mean it's conservative

Up north permits alcohol sales at football, basketball and baseball games while its Liberal rival to the south does not. When you talk about revenue, meeting customer’s desires and Increasing attendance it is something that should not be overlooked. Btw, I never drink at a sporting event, but it is not because I do not partake, I just do not want to disrupt my intense interest in the games.

https://www.jconline.com/story/spor...ceed-1-million-during-2018-season/2574958002/

Reactions: iulb and ORG
Talking about Hillsdale College? I don't know many universities that are conservative at all. just because of former Republican governor is the president does not mean it's conservative

Historically a land grant university with engineering, agriculture and technology has been more conservative than a Liberal Arts University with medicine and law.

Why would you find that surprising?

It would be a source of revenue, improve fan enjoyment, and reduce binge drinking at the games/in the parking lot if done well.

IU's had a weird attitude about alcohol for the last 25 years at least, versus other conservative schools who don't push the "dry campus" stuff down everyone's throat.

Of course, IU are complete hypocrites because you can get a beer in the fat cat suites/club seating and the people working in the athletic department have access to areas where they can responsibly have a beer or two while watching the basketball games.

Just because a school and city might be liberal doesn’t mean certain parts aren’t timid and unwilling to embrace change, especially when it comes to athletics. There is a strong current of regressive liberalism in Bloomington that fights development and infrastructure investment, yearning for the small town days of yesteryear.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Just because a school and city might be liberal doesn’t mean certain parts aren’t timid and unwilling to embrace change, especially when it comes to athletics. There is a strong current of regressive liberalism in Bloomington that fights development and infrastructure investment, yearning for the small town days of yesteryear.
What gets lost sometimes in this debate is the fact that in-stadium alcohol sales have to be substantial enough to be profitable. IMO that means it might be necessary to eliminate passouts to insure that those inclined to imbibe are buying it inside the stadium. How is the sizable contingent of fans who are accustomed to having the ability to leave the stadium at halftime and eventually re-enter going to react to the loss of that privilege. If the drinkers are still going to leave to drink what they brought with them, will alcohol sales even make sense.

I'm not opposed to selling alcohol inside the stadium. I probably won't indulge, mostly because I have a hard time reconciling paying stadium prices for booze. I also don't have a taste for hard liquor and beer and sun are a lethal mix for me (and beer doesn't appeal to me when I'm cold). But I think the trepidation with which IU approaches alcohol sales might be in part due to the potential backlash from fans if the passout policy is abolished.

What gets lost sometimes in this debate is the fact that in-stadium alcohol sales have to be substantial enough to be profitable. IMO that means it might be necessary to eliminate passouts to insure that those inclined to imbibe are buying it inside the stadium. How is the sizable contingent of fans who are accustomed to having the ability to leave the stadium at halftime and eventually re-enter going to react to the loss of that privilege. If the drinkers are still going to leave to drink what they brought with them, will alcohol sales even make sense.

I'm not opposed to selling alcohol inside the stadium. I probably won't indulge, mostly because I have a hard time reconciling paying stadium prices for booze. I also don't have a taste for hard liquor and beer and sun are a lethal mix for me (and beer doesn't appeal to me when I'm cold). But I think the trepidation with which IU approaches alcohol sales might be in part due to the potential backlash from fans if the passout policy is abolished.
Eliminating passouts won't be a problem. There will be some grumbling but it won't negatively affect attendance. Gains in attendance from creating a better in-stadium experience will more than off set the single-digit losses of people who actually follow through with their juvenile threats to cancel their tickets if they can't leave at halftime.
The vast majority of people who leave at halftime don't come back anyway. Anyone who's been in the stadium in the second half of any game in recent years can easily tell that.
So let people grumble. So what? If we want to have a winning program, we need to act like a winning program and that means selling beer, eliminating passouts and straightening out myriad other game day management problems that have been lingering for decades.

I'm not so sure that it is conservative. Universities are rarely conservative. I'll refrain from opining as to why they are.

Eliminating passouts won't be a problem. There will be some grumbling but it won't negatively affect attendance. Gains in attendance from creating a better in-stadium experience will more than off set the single-digit losses of people who actually follow through with their juvenile threats to cancel their tickets if they can't leave at halftime.
The vast majority of people who leave at halftime don't come back anyway. Anyone who's been in the stadium in the second half of any game in recent years can easily tell that.
So let people grumble. So what? If we want to have a winning program, we need to act like a winning program and that means selling beer, eliminating passouts and straightening out myriad other game day management problems that have been lingering for decades.

Eliminating passouts has had zero impact at Ross-Ade.

what is the policy if you passout?

Reactions: 4IUSox2
IU is an extreme outlier with regard to allowing pass outs once patrons have entered the stadium. Eliminating them, if only for purposes of security, is probably long overdue.

There are very few other sporting events where you can leave and then come back in.

This sacred cow at IU needs to stop. Eliminate passouts. Problem solved.

The combination of allowing beer sales and eliminating pass-outs has been very effective. The $10 price tag on a "Boiler Gold" keeps most people from overindulging too much. It has been revenue positive, keeps people in the stadium, and allows them to enjoy a few beers.

Reactions: Purdue85
IU is an extreme outlier with regard to allowing pass outs once patrons have entered the stadium. Eliminating them, if only for purposes of security, is probably long overdue.
I agree completely. I was merely pointing out that there are a number of IU fans who view the privilege of going to the parking lot to drink at halftime and re-enter if/when they wish as an absolute right. I was simply wondering if IU's hesitance to serve alcohol in the stadium might have something to do with not wanting to alienate that constituency. Personally, I have never understood the logic behind allowing people to leave, drink, and then return. I suppose there are other places that do so, but I don't personally know any.

Just think about the amount of revenue a Marijuana Kiosk
would generate.

Reactions: Grateful Redbeard
There are very few other sporting events where you can leave and then come back in.

This sacred cow at IU needs to stop. Eliminate passouts. Problem solved.

It is long established here that I am against ending pass outs. The security argument was shot down long ago, it is all about attempting to retain lost revenue and nothing more.

Those that say people don't come back...ok, then nothing is gained by ending it. We do go back in most games and we will continue to do so simply by buying a few cheap seats on the way in to use to get back in.

It is long established here that I am against ending pass outs. The security argument was shot down long ago, it is all about attempting to retain lost revenue and nothing more.

Those that say people don't come back...ok, then nothing is gained by ending it. We do go back in most games and we will continue to do so simply by buying a few cheap seats on the way in to use to get back in.
Is it really that important to you to go tailgate at halftime? What do you do when/if you go to a Colts game? At Michigan? At Michigan State? At Ohio State?

I never made the security argument. But I do think it would cut down on people leaving, which means more people there for the second half. Many leave at half, intending to come back. But then, hey, the team is behind. Or the weather is bad. Or heck, we're having too much of a good time hanging out with friends. Any number of reasons to blow off coming back in.

Serve alcohol and set up an area with some picnic tables inside the stadium. People can congregate there.

Allowing pass out is just a desperate move in the hopes of people returning. For most people - it may not apply to you if you always come back in.

Is it really that important to you to go tailgate at halftime? What do you do when/if you go to a Colts game? At Michigan? At Michigan State? At Ohio State?

I never made the security argument. But I do think it would cut down on people leaving, which means more people there for the second half. Many leave at half, intending to come back. But then, hey, the team is behind. Or the weather is bad. Or heck, we're having too much of a good time hanging out with friends. Any number of reasons to blow off coming back in.

Serve alcohol and set up an area with some picnic tables inside the stadium. People can congregate there.

Allowing pass out is just a desperate move in the hopes of people returning. For most people - it may not apply to you if you always come back in.

Part of the experience. Alcohol is just a very small part of it. Come to my tailgate and you might understand.

Reactions: baileyiu
Part of the experience. Alcohol is just a very small part of it. Come to my tailgate and you might understand.
Send me an invite - I don't crash parties. lol

Sure, alcohol is a small part of our tailgates also. But people would notice if it's not there.

And I think I can pretty safely say the majority of people who leave at halftime do so for a quick snort.

Send me an invite - I don't crash parties. lol

Sure, alcohol is a small part of our tailgates also. But people would notice if it's not there.

And I think I can pretty safely say the majority of people who leave at halftime do so for a quick snort.

Some say that people don't go back and for many that is true. Taking away pass outs changes nothing for that group thus accomplishes nothing for IU.. Attendance is a function of record. Start winning and the problem is solved.

Some say that people don't go back and for many that is true. Taking away pass outs changes nothing for that group thus accomplishes nothing for IU.. Attendance is a function of record. Start winning and the problem is solved.
They left at half during the best Mallory years and didn't come back in.

Decades of tradition is hard to break.

Reactions: channi

If the stadium is clean, the concessions offer variety and quality, the staff are pleasant and well informed, and the game presentation including the quality of the product on the field or court is competitive then you stay after entering. If none of the criteria are satisfactory you need to get a life away from college sports!

The security for re-entry into the stadium for a pass out
holder is exactly the same as it is for those entering the stadium
before the game.

As I explained to Mark, I’m not Ordy, but I know the long ago and more recent iterations of that poster(s) (that’s a strong hint that that poster was a group effort). Oh, and I know who the Ord imposters are (at least one is in this thread, as you know extremely well. Lol).

The general amnesty after the Peegs departure must’ve worked well for you and Mark after so much forced time away under the old regime. Congratulations on your return.

The pass out issue is one of security everywhere except IU, where the concern is “modest”.

As I explained to Mark, I’m not Ordy, but I know the long ago and more recent iterations of that poster(s) (that’s a strong hint that that poster was a group effort). Oh, and I know who the Ord imposters are (at least one is in this thread, as you know extremely well. Lol).

The general amnesty after the Peegs departure must’ve worked well for you and Mark after so much forced time away under the old regime. Congratulations on your return.

The pass out issue is one of security everywhere except IU, where the concern is “modest”.

Lol, right on cue.

Reactions: DANC

The lie just keeps getting bigger and bigger. I almost hope you'll keep going just to see how byzantine your story gets. You're like ivegotwinners- a crackpot who used to be annoying but is now a staple for entertainment value.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
The security for re-entry into the stadium for a pass out
holder is exactly the same as it is for those entering the stadium
before the game.

It is except they only need one scanning gate on each side. Gates have to be open for emergency egress anyway and thus they have to be manned. The notion that the reason to end pass outs due to security was used by Ordy under four or five names here (now knewitwascomin) and was shot down each time. ADs will use it as an excuse because the truth is not as convenient.

It is except they only need one scanning gate on each side. Gates have to be open for emergency egress anyway and thus they have to be manned. The notion that the reason to end pass outs due to security was used by Ordy under four or five names here (now knewitwascomin) and was shot down each time. ADs will use it as an excuse because the truth is not as convenient.
The “notion” came from someone in the athletic department. Three guesses as to who that is courty.

The lie just keeps getting bigger and bigger. I almost hope you'll keep going just to see how byzantine your story gets. You're like ivegotwinners- a crackpot who used to be annoying but is now a staple for entertainment value.
There’s no lie at all, not that you’d know. You’re a member of the “faculty”, after all. Lol

Conservative university. That made me laugh. Is there such a thing anymore?
The title of the thread made me laugh, too. I'm not sure why it's necessary to slap a "conservative" or "liberal" label on everything these days.

People go to college to learn. A good education allows people to think critically, analytically and independently. Unfortunately some are threatened by that, and they're quick to apply the "liberal" tag, suggesting something very negative. (The term "liberal arts" must be really disconcerting for them).

If anyone's looking for a more "traditional" college (for example, one that teaches that humans and dinosaurs coexisted), they're out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT