ADVERTISEMENT

I feel sorry for the younger members of Andy's OTF

I was born in 1983...,

And fell in love with IU basketball from the Cheaney led teams. My favorite players ever are Calbert and Greg Graham. Those teams were so much fun to watch and I expected to win every game. The passion I had as a kid for those teams was something special and a great memory of trips to B town with my Dad. Him and I also watched Bob Knight's coaches show and golf show religiously...I ihome by the time I have kids IU bball is truly elite again.

My freshman year was the run to the final game against Maryland, which was awesome. The two years of Cody were fun/special, but we need to get back to elite and do it soon. I don't love Crean or hate Crean, so if he can get us there then great, but I truly think it is going to take the perfect storm of getting Stevens for IU to be back.

A funny and somewhat sad story

BTW I agree with all you say ... it's not only accurate but a problem for future of IU fans.

Growing up in the 60's my family always heard stories about the '53 National Championship team when dad was at IU. I remember telling him more than a few times that was 15 years ago, that's a lifetime ago. Now I look at 1987 and think, holy shit IU hasn't won an NCAA in 28 years.

My parents said I attended my first IU game in the fall of 1952 as a 6 month old. Dad took me to IU games, football and basketball all through the years growing up. Rabid fans, lifelong fans.

Yet today, less kids are interested .. just look at the decrease in attendance of high school games.

That feeling about IU basketball from 1974, as a fan you felt there was a chance every year to go to the final 4, or at least most years. I know I did not feel that way in 1977 but the majority of time it wasn't a question of making the tournament as a 7th seed but a question of could they win it all.

What I fear is the chance of apathy sitting in, long term. Once that sits in it's very hard to get back to the previous levels of success. IMO that is IU's football's biggest problem ... the history of losing and an over all apathetic fan base. Of course 3 major D1 football schools and an NFL team in the same small state probably hurts IU attendance some. Unlike some states that have one D1 school and the whole state lives and dies with that one college team and no NFL team as competition.

These years remind me of the IU basketball years in the 60s, with some good players, occasional upsets of ranked teams but no tourney results. Although back then you had to win the conference to be invited to the NCAA with only 32 teams.

As far as young people understanding what IU use to be .... next to impossible for them to really really understand and hard to describe to them.

Nope. Only one of those guys are high IQ

and that was Zeller, and he was lobotomized by Crean's one more dribble philosophy.

Hartman, maybe, but that's yet to be seen. We give him credit this year for not expecting much.

Bailey was high IQ, Hillman, Henderson, Jim Thomas, Fife, Alford, Buckner, Greg Graham, Pat Graham..

Hell Pat Knight had better basketball smarts..

The ones you listed are functional retards compared to these guys.

they may have been smart in HS, but after Crean ball ...total DERP!

This post was edited on 1/30 3:23 PM by Guy_Fawkes

Right now, it's Jack for me.

On the plane, in First Class. Love free upgrades on the leg home. Get good and hammered.

The difference is...

...that the administrations at those two schools put a priority on righting the ship. At IU they simply allow the ship to drift aimlessly while suggesting that we should shut the hell up and enjoy all the scenery since we didn't contribute more than $100 anyway.

Yes...

and that sucked. But the atmosphere in that game -- especially after the chair was thrown -- was surreal. I was sitting in the baseline bleachers by the PUke bench, coins were raining down from the stands, ice...it was just nuts. I still remember Keady's crazy looking wife (God rest her soul) sitting behind the team. I think it was after that game that I drove back to Indy to visit my family and I stopped at the Martinsville McDonalds. There in the parking lot was the PUke team bus...Troy Lewis and all. I still laugh at the thought of Mickey D's after a huge game like that.

those last 6 years

Yes I would trade those last 6 years right now vs where IU is now ... still and I know you won't agree ... those last 6 years of RMK were "downhill" compared to his other teams. He was on the recruiting road less. At times it looked as if he had lost interest. His teams had changed ... with the main thing I noticed .. instead of peaking in March as they usually did, some of his teams those last 6 years played like they couldn't wait for the season to be over.

That view was from row 4 on the floor, not on my couch watching the game on tv ... as I do now.

Hindsight it's easy to say, l'd love to trade those last 6 years ... but I'm sure you remember too, that during that time there were some fans, some alumni and obviously his administration that were counting the days before he would leave.

Before you start mutilating me verbally ... no I am not a Crean fan, I am not happy as an IU alum where the program is nor where it is going under current leadership .. an no, I'm not trying to start a fight with you online .. I'm only expressing my opinion.

I have a lot of pride in this program. It's not always been easy.

I'm younger than a lot of you on here, for sure.

Among my peers, most of them never saw a world where IU was a great program. I grew up in Louisville, KY, which is the one place in the US where it's totally incomprehensible to be a fan of a school from another state. Especially one coached by Mike Davis.

Knight was fired before I could really process what that meant to the school. My youngest memories of the team were watching Luke Jiminez and Luke Recker out of the corner of my eye - I really didn't get to spend time with the good teams in the 90's.

But then I started to grow up. Because I grew up in the self-proclaimed "greatest college sports town in America" as a leprous IU fan, IU's exceptional history became a real point of identity to me to perhaps unhealthy levels. (Joe Seattle apparently would tell you that this was a sign of being mentally unfit according to his post on the Premie this morning. *Gag*)

Any time I talk about my team, it was a fight. So losses became life or death ordeals in my childhood up to high school. Any time IU lost in the Great Alaska Shootout, I was Kentuck-target practice. It made me dread the losses almost as much as I loved the wins. I pointed to banners that I wasn't even born for and players I never saw play - daily. That usually shut up the Louisville fans, but those Kentucky fans were unbearable.

I get why some younger fans idealize the scrappy underdog image. They're used to measuring themselves based on being a tier below, and desire nothing more than to feel the highs that they felt when Haston hit the shot to beat MSU, or Watford's shot to beat Kentucky. If you can give them enough of those moments, you're fine. Crean's done that.

Frankly, I just imagine all the crap I'm going to get after the next loss to Penn State. I hate losing to bad teams as much as I like beating the good ones, and Crean's not building a program that can do both.

Indiana's never been all that great since I was a fan. I've loved the tradition, and the days I've spent in Assembly Hall are some of my most memorable.

But Indiana's really supposed to mean more than this. Accepting mediocrity as a given isn't really what I meant to sign up for.

I agree with all of your post

I also think at times we will never see that "special" IU program ever again. Luckily I have about 400 games on tape and can live in the past whenever I want ...
laugh.r191677.gif

Basic fundamentals

During the 2014 NCAA tourney, a current coach that was a in-sudio commentator and sorry but I cannot remember who ... stated that today's coaches spend so much more time the first few weeks of the season than ever before ... teaching basic basketball fundamentals.

Like everyone else that is older, we use to schedule our calender around IU basketball games first. No matter what. Besides the Zeller years, I sit an watch not knowing if a win is a sure thing and wonder if we make the NCAA's that year. A few games in 2013-2014 I didn't even turn on and I found it did not matter to me if I missed the game.

That shocked and saddened me.

People really should be making a bigger deal of that $100 quote.

Hearing that from your AD is honestly really shameful.

We were mediocre in those years.

Never got passed the 2nd round in the NCAA tourney in those last 6 years (4 times bounced in round 1, including the curb stomping by Pepperdine), 19-23 wins per year, 9-12 losses, no Big Ten titles, avg 10 Big Ten wins a year (12 best, 9 x3)...

So in other words, a "good" year under CTC...also known as mediocre. I remember it well and it was repeatedly disappointing.

Lived in Oak Habor Washington

All the friends and co-workers invited over for that weekend were any team against Knight fans .... I cleaned up in bets with them. I had told all of these college basketball fans before the tourney that IU would win it all ... you could tell it was that type of team.

These responses...

suggest to me people didn't read what I wrote or do not comprehend.

There is no comparison in regards to the Wat shot and Smart's shot. One was for a regular season non-con game and the other was for the National Championship. The point is the circumstances that made the Wat shot such a big deal at the time had never happened to IU before (beating the number 1 team and THE power of the time after being so atrociously awful) and that was a greater illustration of how far we had fallen to be that elevated by a reg season, non-con, game winner. But that wasn't a regular occurrence before...we'd never been in that position.

There's no comparison to Smart's shot in terms of overall importance, greatness, etc. That's so blatantly obvious it doesn't require comment. It's a "no shi*" position. Smart's shot is the biggest in IU history in terms of single shot.

oxford - please remind me of Glass's $100 comment...

I don't recall it, and I donate a hell of a lot more than that for my tickets, but I know it'll piss me off

That game was insane......

probably the most fun I have ever had at AH during a loss.

It started with the typical IU-PU intensity and then the calls went against IU (at least to the IU crowd) and Knight was after the refs as usual. The crowd was in a frenzy and then he threw the chair. That place was out of control.

How I miss IU games like that. Sure, there have been plenty of good/fun games since, but there was nothing like big games during the RMK era.

The Wat shot game was the only game that was as fun.

The Haston shot against MSU was up there.

Re: That game was insane......

The IU-Illinois game my freshman year in 2002 when we absolutely crushed them and hit a big ten record for there's was also an unbelievable game to attend

No problem - here it is.

Reporter: There is the perception that high-profile, big-money boosters are
putting make-a-change-or-else pressure on you and IU President Michael
McRobbie, that if you don't make a basketball coaching change, they'll
pull money for projects you are planning. Is that true?

Glass: "That
is absolutely not true. I find the whole thing silly. We had a saying in
politics that the $100 donors griped the loudest. There may be somebody
saying something about this or that, but first, nobody is saying that
to me, and second, if they did say that, it wouldn't have any impact
You can't chase that stuff.
People who take that position, they
always want the guy on the sideline with the baseball cap and the
clipboard. Everybody is calling for the back-up quarterback. If you
would put the back-up in, everything would be all right. There are
people like that, but they aren't the people whose judgment I value or
who I listen to. If they want to threaten to yank a donation, go ahead. I
can't chase all that stuff.
Having said that, that hasn't
happened. It hasn't happened once, not one time. Sometimes I'll get a
letter from someone saying he's a member of the Varsity Club, and blah,
blah, blah, and I find out he's not even a member of the Varsity Club.
It's just not been an issue."

(Emphasis is mine.)

The general consensus is that it's something that's fine to say when fundraising, but being dumb enough to say that in public is (pardon the politics) Romney-esque.

The entire interview is worth reading, if you have twenty minutes to process it and a few brain cells to kill. It's four parts, and it shows a remarkable lack of media savvy.

Re: No problem - here it is.

Wow, what an ass. Do you have a link to the interview? That really makes mead. We have 8 damn football tickets and good hoops tickets and my opinion shouldn't matter more than a guy who is a standard varsity club member. And I also assume he is full of crap here because I know plenty of big, big donors who have voiced their frustration to him.

About the same as I...

except I am not in Kentucky or around their terrible fans. I am up by SB and Irish fans make me sick.

I have very good memories of Assembly Hall. I was there for the Haston shot actually was my 2nd time in Assembly Hall. I grew up next to Alford when he coached at Manchester College. Shooting hoops with a great was cool and I probably didn't realize how cool it was until I went to IU. I knew Alford was great but it means a whole lot more when you realize what Basketball means to IU.

I really hope IU can get back to the late 70's 80's and early 90's. The early 90's are foggy to me mainly just my dad screaming at the TV during the games and my mom rushing us to the bathroom to take a bath. I am sure my kids have that same feeling right now. They know to cheer for IU but really don't understand why. Heck we sing the IU fight song every night. I hope is when they are old enough to remember or realize what IU basketball really is, IU will be "good" again. Maybe I am just dreaming, but I think we will get back there.

Gotta have the hope we can get back there.

UNC went through a dark stage for a while, but with Roy Williams' hire, they're back in the national conversation. Same deal with Kentucky. Duke's really the only program that's been consistently great since I grew up.

(Sure, it appears like they had to cheat to do it, but the point is, it can be done.)

Hopefully, IU's time is coming up. I'm just not sure McRobbie is involved enough in athletics to make a change if one's necessary.

I tend to agree with hoosierdug...

I think he knows what he has to do. It may not be this year but I wouldn't be surprised if next year he pulls the trigger, even with a 1st round NCAA exit. I think Glass values IU more than some think. He wants IU to win and win national championship he isn't going to let this thing fall apart. It is his Alma Mater as well, and he was around for the great years.

In terms of players I'd actually put High Ball IQ on their scouting report,

Zeller's really the only one on that list.

Hulls, maybe, but that's maybe third or fourth on the list for him.

Yogi dribbles into bad situations often and uses his athleticism to escape them. To be totally fair, it's difficult to tell if some of his bonehead mistakes are coached or natural, however.

Vic developed a much higher level of Ball IQ as his career went on, but really only threatened for that label his junior year. He looked a lot like Troy has to date in his first year and a half.

Hartman's a hard worker and knows where to be much of the time, but his help side defense is so poor that I can't give him that label either.

This is not a very smart basketball team. It's just not.

Maybe Glass is a mad genius

Maybe there is a master plan. Maybe he knows that Brad Stevens will be ready to lead us out of the abyss in 2016. Maybe it'll be worth the wait.

Or more likely we'll be watching Brad Stevens coaching Duke in the Final Four while arguing among ourselves as to whether CTC deserves major props for only losing 12 games (again) with such an inexperienced team.

1973 - - there's old film footage (8 mm?) of a 1 year old me...

....frolicking around Honolulu in an Indiana University b-ball shirt.

In '76 I have vague memories (maybe from all the pics) of the family watching the final.

In '81 we were in Clarksville (IN)...remember clearly Reagan getting shot and watching the game.

'87 I was 15 and on Spring Break.

I rarely missed any games on Channel 4 back in those days starting at about the age of 10 (1982). I vomited after losses.

T'was glorious all through my college years ('90-'94).

Oh well. Nothing gold can stay, right?

Interviews with Glass now dont bother me no matter what he says.

In the middle of the season is he supposed to come out and say the team is playing for the coaches career, or that IU will make a change no matter what at the end of the season?

That could totally derail this season (and as unhappy as some fans are, it could be worse) and it would hurt the recruiting process for everyone in the '16,'17 classes.

Nov/Feb you have to show support for the current season.

That is why Im fine with anything Glass says.
Im more concerned with the actions he takes in the next 3-16 months.

Glass may have some question marks still but I do think McRobbie is the best President IU has had since probably Ryan.

My IU tenure (Aug 97-May 06) was all under Brand and Herbert. I wasnt thrilled with a lot of their actions (athletically or academically)

Reactions: snowling
Same year and same story HA. Worst part I was manager our freshman year when we didn't make it.

What sucks is tommy hoops had literally taken the one thing I love more than anything outside my family and made me hate it. Product sucks. Coach sucks and administration has made mistake after mistake. Just want the days where I would be so happy after a win back.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

You misquoted me, and unsurprisingly, completely missed my point.

Crean has no use for role players is what I wrote. The rest is a figment of your imagination.

Butler making the S16 is akin to IU going to the F4 given our inherent advantages.

Jesus...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT