ADVERTISEMENT

I feel sorry for the younger members of Andy's OTF

Four things stand out about that game.....

(in no particular order)

D. Thomas gets 3 fouls in the first 3-4 minutes and sits. Steve Eyl comes in and plays a great game.

Everybody thought IU would slow it down, but they ran with them..........and won.

Alford and Freddy Banks put on an amazing show.

IU didn't have a player within 10 feet of Wade challenging him to shoot. He tried a couple shots, but wasn't even close.

That might be the best example of Knight's coaching I have seen.

I think you omitted Kent Benson. He also played a major

role on those teams. Benson even had the tip-in that allowed us to remain unbeaten in the 1975-76 season.

That's back when IU was elite............

what do the elite drink? Champagne. That's what he saw.

Not so much anymore.

I rate it #2 after the 93 game @ Michigan

that game showed RMK's genius imho. Henderson killed them with the baseline jumper. Bailey going for 10 assists and 0 TO's. Making them play a half court game where they had to hit jumpers. Just a great job,. at #3 the 94 game against #1 UK and then the 84 UNC game..

This post was edited on 1/30 1:15 PM by Guy_Fawkes

We lived in Seymour at that time and I was watching the game

in our basement. Our son was only five at the time, but he thoroughly enjoyed watching it with my wife and me.

I think he still remembers that game.

Ironically, 6 of those were years he had significant contributions

from legitimate bigs.

The only exception was 2001-2002, which ended with a first round upset to #12 Tulsa.

goat

Yep..same sweatshirt for years

and if we were really doing well, I wouldn't move from where I was sitting. If we were losing, I would switch chairs.

Even at Assembly Hall, I have to sit in the same seat every game.

when I first read that,

I thought it said "like flea trying to fvck an elephant" and I instantly had the mental image of RHCP's Flea fvcking an elephant which isn't all that far out of the realm of possibility.

Not selective at all. I remember in vivid detail. And I would cut off

2 fingers on my left hand for IU to be in the position it was in from 1995-2000 vs where IU is now.

IU has missed the NCAA tournament 6 of the last 11 years, and all tournaments 5 of the last 11 years.

Roll that around in your mind for a moment.

No, it isn't. That formula would kick @ss in today's crappy basketball

climate.

How do you think Butler made 2 Final Fours? By following that exact strategy. IU would be like that on steroids, except that there wouldn't be those Syracuse, UNC, and UNLV type teams loaded with great athletes who are also juniors and seniors. They would be freshman now and easy to beat.

Alford would be a 4 year guy today. Chaney would be a 3 or 4 year guy. Knight won with a 2 and done guy in Zeke.

Look at the guys Indiana is getting. They are mostly smart guys who stay for 2-4 years. Cody, Vic, Watford, Sheehey, Yogi, Blackmon, Johnson, etc... Fill in around those guys smart, 4 year role players (something Crean has no use for), and you build a Final Four team every 2 to 4 years.

In the mid 2000's Coach K did that and cleaned up and won his 3rd and 4th title. Then he got a little lazy and went back to one and done type guards who have left him exiting early from the tourney.

That formula still works. In fact, it would work better now. That's what kills me. That's why people want Brad Stevens. IU doesn't need to recruit like UK and Kansas. You just need a couple blue-chippers who are smart and likely to stay 2-4 years.

IU has missed the NCAA tournament 6 of the last 11 years .....

and all tournaments 5 of the last 11 years.

Or the Big Dance AND the Little Dance, if you prefer that verbiage.

Last night, I watched the 2nd half of the Cincy/UCONN game...

...purely because Bobby was doing the game. I found more enjoyment just listening to him than I have all year watching IU b-ball.

Congrats on being one of the most blindly optimistic people...

...walking the Earth.

Now, ask yourself this question... what does that get you? Does it make you feel all warm inside? When you get disappointed, do you cry yourself to sleep or just say, "Aw, shucks, we'll get 'em next time!!!"

It must really suck to be you.

Great thread, LeConte. I enjoyed reading everyone's

posts.

Maybe we should make Friday's "Throwback Fridays" or something.

I think the UNC is the apogee.

Michael Jordan
Sam Perkins
Kenny Smith
Brad Daugherty
Matt Doherty
Steve Hale
Joe Wolf
Dave Popson
Buzz Peterson

vs.

Steve Alford
Dan Dakich
Stew Robinson
Uwe Blab
Mike Giomi
Marty Simmons
Todd Meier
Chuck Franz
Courtney Witte

Are you FLOCKING KIDDING ME?????

this really is a great thread..

I guess all we have now is memories of days long past.

And that's sad. Especially when you consider the inherent

ability of this Program to attract top level basketball talent..

Sad indeed. I wish Glass understood what we understand.

but it's apparent he knows nothing about basketball.

He sounds like Jim TV on the freeboard.

Makes me want to vomit..

You must not remember the '81 game against Maryland . . .

IU ran Lefty Driesell and 3 NBA lottery picks off the court . . . after being down 8-0 in the first two minutes.

I've never seen a more dominating performance from an IU basketball team. It was pure joy watching IU's bigs run track for a dunkfest . . . .

Born in '85 and I have a vague memory of the early 90s team.

And to drive home your point, Indiana made the tournament every year of my life...until I was a freshman at IU.
sick0020.r191677.gif

Perfect summation

My oldest son was born in '99. I remember thinking how much I was going to look forward to watching IU and Coach Knight for at least a few more years. The ensuing 15 years have been a blur of mediocrity and worse (with the exception of the 2002 magical run). There are a lot of parallels with the Michigan football program. They've finally gotten the right guy. If IU doesn't get it right with the next hire, it won't matter anymore.

RMK wanted Joe Wolf at IU soooooo bad . . .

and was in despair when the guy chose UNC. Payback is sweet . . . .

I can recall earlier this season telling my 8 year old daughter

that IU was about to come on. Her reply to me was, "But we're not any good." Even my kids know we are mediocre. If that were me when I was that age, I would have been right there with my parents watching the Hoosiers and playing ball using the curtain rod as a basket in our family room. We never missed a game, but it helped winning a Championship in '81. I was 8.

I gotta believe

that it's just a lot of lip service. When the time comes (and it IS coming and he knows it) I believe he will pull the trigger, not only in firing him, but more importantly, in making the absolute right hire. Finally. I HAVE to believe that. It's the only thing that gets me through the flailing, spastic giraffe drives to the hoop and careless TOs and nearly every minute Stan spends on the floor.

It has not been the same since McDonalds stopped rewarding Defense

Remember the "MCDONALDS, MCDONALDS" cheers when we were holding the opponent to 49 or 59 points?
I blame Ronald for our lack of defense almost as much as CTC

I agree, and here's the great thing .....

Any rational person looked at that IU/UNC game and rightfully assumed UNC would win pretty easily.

Any IU fan looked at that IU/UNC game and rightfully assumed, "Bob had nearly a week to prepare - IU's gonna have an excellent chance to win." And the win sparked a massive celebration on campus (my junior year in B-town) - but not one person I came across was shocked IU won.

Not one. And I knew a LOT of people.

Now I watch the games whilst reading the paper. And talking to Mrs. O. And playing with Doggie O. And texting with Little O.

For this program, people like me (lifelong diehard to the nth degree IU fans) not caring enough to put down the paper is a problem.

Yep

My 11 year old son has said those exact words to me. I really hate it. We have other activities we've bonded over (playing baseball and golf and even cooking together) but it's hard to fathom that none of my kids even give a rat's about IU hoops. It's so bad that he was actually more excited about watching IU football (read:Tevin) than any hoops this season. Maybe they're feeding off of my apathy.

"Crean has no use for smart guys"

I get what you are saying. Let's see when Butler and the "Butler way" ever sees another final 4. I bet not in out lifetime.

That being said, I would classify the following IU players as smart to reasonably smart BB players. To think Crean doesn't want smart kids is a rediculous statement, clouded by your hatred of Crean.

Zeller
Hulls
Vic
Yogi
Hartman
Etherington- Just not very good

Blackmon and Johnson, maybe. Remains to be seen

UK has been to the title 2 of the last 3 years, and appear to be on their way this year. And no, I want to look nothing like UK, but.......
Kansas 2 of last 6.

That was a dismantling and a masterpiece. The NCAA was on notice after....

that performance.

IU was on an incredible roll in that tourney and set a record for winning margin.

I was courtside for the St Joes and UAB games and IU was dominate. I stood by the entrance of the locker room and high fived the team as they went in.

Went to the FF and met Ray Meyer and Gene Bartow, both were great.

I remember my dad laughing as LSU came on the court acting very cocky and talking shit. He said that IU would have no problem.

Then in the final with 2 ACC fan bases there they were chanting 'ACC, ACC' all through the warm ups and introductions. As the game wore on, the IU fans were loud as hell and the the rest of the place was silent. There's a great shot of Tolbert holding the NCAA sign over his head, but it was Isenbarger that went and grabbed it as soon as the horn sounded. Tolbert took it from him later.

It was great and one of the last FFs in a small arena.

Isiah was in a league of his own.

Reactions: snowling
I'm letting go. I now believe Glass is this stupid...

...he has been suckered. I'm not sure how, but he has.

That's what I'm telling myself.

I just don't care anymore.....................

UAB game that year was the toughest one IU had . . .

in the tournament . . . I was there, but not court side. Never felt like the game was at risk, really, but didn't feel comfortable either until the last couple of minutes.

This post was edited on 1/30 2:59 PM by Sope Creek

We are about the same age

I remember watching that game in my frat on the big screen. I was packed and raucous in there, and campus was electric afterwards. Best game I went to in person was the chair-throwing game. Craziest, weirdest, funnest atmosphere I've ever been in.

I can't remember much about the UAB game......

I know it wasn't a blowout, but I think they won by 12-14 or so.

I remember the St Joe's game well, Tolbert had some great dunks, one great reverse dunk and nobody ran back down court after a dunk like Ray.

He was smilin' Ray that day for sure. St Joe's had knocked off #1 DePaul on a last second lay up, but they were no match.

A good outlook

because then anything positive that happens is gravy. Or in your and my case, vodka.

That does give me hope...

elite programs go through down years, but always seem to right the ship eventually. The Suckeyes lost Woody, and endured Earl Bruce and Cooper before finally getting the sweater vest to right the ship. Now they have Urban and aren't looking back. I was hoping Crean would finally be our sweater vest...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT