ADVERTISEMENT

I expect to see a statue of RMK at SSAH

I've been spouting the need for a statue of Knight for years. It should have been done by now by the lazy asses in power to do so, while he was still alive to feel the love and appreciation.

IU has already adopted a menagerie of bronze statues inside the Hall. They need to put one outside in the center of Nunn Plaza at the South entrance. I like the idea of it being limestone instead of bronze, just for the sake of variety and support of our local culture. That said, if they do his likeness in bronze or limestone, it better look accurate. So many times these statues don't look quite right in likeness and when not, they always seem to appear more clown-like, a look found bothersome to the casual observer.

Yes, I'm too young to remember McCracken and not to diminish him, but 3 NCAA titles vs. McCracken's 2, 11 conference titles (8 of those outright), an NIT title (according to Hammel, that one meant the most to RMK). Two straight undefeated Big 10 seasons representing a 37-game conference win streak.

"In the first 33 NCAA tournament years (1939-1971), Big Ten teams won four championships. In Knight’s 29 IU seasons (1972-2000), Big Ten teams won six. Since he left the league 22 tournaments ago, the now 14-team Big Ten has won none."

https://www.heraldtimesonline.com/s...-bob-hammel-on-friend-bob-knight/71414701007/

Considering it all, "Knight-McCracken Court" seems like the least they should do.
Naming the court hardly means diddly-squat if the name isn't painted on the court, such as Keady Court in Mackey Arena. Not many IU fans even know the AH court is named after McCracken. Naming ours McCracken-Knight Court seems a bit silly and I don't think McCracken's family would like it that way either. Knight won three banners, McCracken only two. Do something better for Knight with his higher achievement, something more distinctive, not shared with any other of lesser success.

Reactions: .Gerdis and kmathum
it better be soon.
Im not trying to be facetious. While I didn’t like hin I certainly recognize his coaching genius. I’m sure they will put a statue up. I’m asking because I can’t cite any examples and I’m sure they exist. How often do they put a.statue up of a man they fired? .

• Angry
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Yeah, I didn't love what I wrote, but I did put as much thought into it as I could at 5:30 in the morning, and the thing I settled on was that Coach should be in the name, because I think it was such a part of who he was and for me, especially with him but I also had a very influential Coach in high school, it is a sign of respect, right up there with Doctor, etc... Coach Knight Hall?

It gets so messy now with donors. To me, you've got to do something because you named the court after Branch McCracken, so you're either going to have to share that somehow, or share the name for the Hall, which the Simon-Skjodt's probably have to be on board with. Dolson's going to have to get creative. What I am confident of, is we couldn't have a better guy as Coach at this moment than CMW. I think he'll push for the school to do the right thing.
So, do you think it will be something like "Coach Robert Montgomery Knight Arena at Simon-Skodt Assembly Hall on the Coach Branch McCracken Court"?

Then if John Melkencamp or FanDuel or Bally or Andy Mohr buys the naming rights, it would then become "Coach Robert Montgomery Knight Arena at the Simon-Skodt ....".

Oh never mind. Too many notes.

When y’all get done yanking each other’s wankers over this, maybe pay attention to the family’s wishes that none of this be done?

If RMK didn’t want it when he was alive, why would they go against his wishes upon his death?

Has the family made it public what their wishes are?

Don't you think that RMK's feelings on the subject were tainted by his dismissal?

Has there been reports since he moved back to Bton that stated his wishes?

IMO, they should consult his family and then follow their wishes.

Reactions: kkott
When y’all get done yanking each other’s wankers over this, maybe pay attention to the family’s wishes that none of this be done?

If RMK didn’t want it when he was alive, why would they go against his wishes upon his death?
Whoever said permission is needed before honoring a man in death? Just because there is a scheduled memorial to recognize a person post-mortem doesn't mean other family members have to participate. Gaining a sense of closure for family is different than closure for fans. Memorials are as much for the living as they are for the deceased. Bob Knight saying he didn't want a statue when he was alive was his bitterness doing the talking. Bitterness subsides upon death, that's why it's called "resting in peace". Construct a permanent statue of Bob Knight centered in Nunn Plaza, one worthy of his greatness, the uniqueness that was our HOF coach. Now is the time, more than ever. I think it's probably safe to say every fan reading this will be dead before IU hangs three more banners by one coach and that, my friends, is the sobering thought for today, Nov 6, 2023.

Umbrella SSAH and Cook under the RMK Basketball (Complex), (HQ's), (etc.) by building something easily visual, very descriptive and fitting to his deeds.
This would be really cool. Not sure on how much room they have...but building some sort of residential space for the basketball programs...similar to UK's Wildcat Den... But with this one, make sure it has its own library, media center, nutrition center, etc... Tie all the architecture together with SSAH and Cook, throw up some cool gates and fencing, some cool paths and "street lamps", and call the whole thing Coach Knight's Champions Village.

This would be really cool. Not sure on how much room they have...but building some sort of residential space for the basketball programs...similar to UK's Wildcat Den... But with this one, make sure it has its own library, media center, nutrition center, etc... Tie all the architecture together with SSAH and Cook, throw up some cool gates and fencing, some cool paths and "street lamps", and call the whole thing Coach Knight's Champions Village.
Grandiose delusions have a clinical term in Psychology 101, Delusions of Grandeur it’s called.…not too much like pancreatic Islets (or Islands) of Langerhans in Physiology 101. Didn’t someone here once suggest an attached Hyatt Regency on the grounds of our IU sports complex?

• Wow
I'd like to see statutes of Branch M. and Bobby K. in the middle of the south lobby, flanked by the existing works.

I don't care for "here we are on McCracken floor of Knight Arena in the SS Assembly Hall..............

Reactions: ulrey
I'd like to see statutes of Branch M. and Bobby K. in the middle of the south lobby, flanked by the existing works.

I don't care for "here we are on McCracken floor of Knight Arena in the SS Assembly Hall..............
I'll revise that suggestion, as I remember there are already statutes of E. Dean and Branch M (with Bill G) in place.

Just add a statute of Bobby K in the middle and we're good to go, imo.

I'll revise that suggestion, as I remember there are already statutes of E. Dean and Branch M (with Bill G) in place.

Just add a statute of Bobby K in the middle and we're good to go, imo.
ok,.....there is also a statute of RMK with his guys there.....but a seperate statute of RMK in the middle of everything would be good....and I'll be contrary and say we should go with the sweater, not the jacket.

Whoever said permission is needed before honoring a man in death? Just because there is a scheduled memorial to recognize a person post-mortem doesn't mean other family members have to participate. Gaining a sense of closure for family is different than closure for fans. Memorials are as much for the living as they are for the deceased. Bob Knight saying he didn't want a statue when he was alive was his bitterness doing the talking. Bitterness subsides upon death, that's why it's called "resting in peace". Construct a permanent statue of Bob Knight centered in Nunn Plaza, one worthy of his greatness, the uniqueness that was our HOF coach. Now is the time, more than ever. I think it's probably safe to say every fan reading this will be dead before IU hangs three more banners by one coach and that, my friends, is the sobering thought for today, Nov 6, 2023.
If RMK and his family specifically requested no memorial like that, then that's what should be done, at least as far as naming. I think a statue would be the minimum that "should" be done, but again, I'd want the support of the family. I think a statue that's there but not trumpted every time IU plays is very different than naming a facility for him and might be viewed differently by the family.

So, do you think it will be something like "Coach Robert Montgomery Knight Arena at Simon-Skodt Assembly Hall on the Coach Branch McCracken Court"?

Then if John Melkencamp or FanDuel or Bally or Andy Mohr buys the naming rights, it would then become "Coach Robert Montgomery Knight Arena at the Simon-Skodt ....".

Oh never mind. Too many notes.
Per your comments, I think naming something for him gets to be a challenge because of everthing already having names. I think renaming Cook Hall and AH as the RMK Basketball Facilities would be reasonable and think you could also tie in both RMK and McCracken with the Bob Knight-Branch McCracken Memorial Coaches Floor or SS-RMK Assembly Hall, but it does get challenging to not get it too long and confused. If, as was said later, the family doesn't want it, then I'd try and push for a statue and not rename something.

Grandiose delusions have a clinical term in Psychology 101, Delusions of Grandeur it’s called.…not too much like pancreatic Islets (or Islands) of Langerhans in Physiology 101. Didn’t someone here once suggest an attached Hyatt Regency on the grounds of our IU sports complex?
Ha ha...I know...

We're competing with schools that are already doing things like this. So I'm not sure its quite as far fetched as you're making it out to be.

I used Hilton and Marriott as the examples...but also very far fetched ideas.

Back to the bball complex idea... We have some very nice apartments, that are fairly close to Cook Hall. And we have Cook Hall. So I don't think we're "behind" all that many schools in terms of facilities for bball players. But its an arms race, and I hope the decision makers keep a very watchful and wary eye on what everyone else is doing.

Ha ha...I know...

We're competing with schools that are already doing things like this. So I'm not sure its quite as far fetched as you're making it out to be.

I used Hilton and Marriott as the examples...but also very far fetched ideas.

Back to the bball complex idea... We have some very nice apartments, that are fairly close to Cook Hall. And we have Cook Hall. So I don't think we're "behind" all that many schools in terms of facilities for bball players. But its an arms race, and I hope the decision makers keep a very watchful and wary eye on what everyone else is doing.
I must admit Motel 6 entered my mind, but didn’t sound nearly as impressive for a school held in such high esteem by its alumni.

Whatever is ultimately done with family approval or disapproval, keep it simple, yet elegant. Forget the shared naming thought twisted in convolution and confusion. A simple statue of unsaid words speaks in volume loud to those who listen.

RMK was a great basketball coach, and mentor to many who played for him.

but no way is he higher up on the IU hierarchy than Branch.

no doubt IU needs to recognize Bobby, but Branch had just as great or greater IU legacy, without turning on IU and without the down sides, and built the program that Bobby took over when Bobby inherited a brand new AH, (probably the premier arena in the country at the time), a great base of players, and an already established national bball rep. (and maybe the best class in the country outside UCLA when Bobby first accepted the job).

AH should have been "The Cracken" a long time ago.

both need recognized, but no way is Branch not atop the IU hierarchy.

reality is, IU has never really given BM the recognition he deserves.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Should his statue have his iconic Red Sweater or his old school plad suit??

images

images
Either. I do like the plaid tho.
I also liked Knight Hall

no doubt IU needs to recognize Bobby, but Branch had just as great or greater IU legacy, without turning on IU and without the down sides, and built the program that Bobby took over when Bobby inherited a brand new AH, (probably the premier arena in the country at the time), a great base of players, and an already established national bball rep. (and maybe the best class in the country outside UCLA when Bobby first accepted the job).

I think you’re on your own with this one.

You forgetting the Lou Watson years between McCracken & Coach Knight? I’d like to but unfortunately can’t

You forgetting the Lou Watson years between McCracken & Coach Knight? I’d like to but unfortunately can’t

i haven't forgotten anything. (including the Jerry Oliver yr).

66-67 is probably my favorite yr of IU bball.

i'm an IU fan.

Last edited:

In the spirit of Bob Knight they should name the press row section after coach with some appropriate words which show his disdain for the press.

Reactions: From the Balcony

Dumb.

Just how is Branch in any way connected to the class RMK inherited?
There is six years between them.

Branch win % - .677
RMK - .735

Branch Conference Titles - 4
RMK - 11

And the biggie - 3 to 2.

I think if you look, Coach isn't depicted in any of the statues in SSAH. According to Bob Hammel, he specifically did not want to be included in any of them.

It will be interesting to see what is done in honor of him.
It has been reported that he didn't want anything but was that still his sentiment after he moved back to Bton?
Talk to the family and listen to them.

In the spirit of Bob Knight they should name the press row section after coach with some appropriate words which show his disdain for the press.
Placards that say things like, "Could have been a prostitute", "other end of the floor", "Did you talk to our SID?", "Do you have your game face on?", "Not as good as your dad"

Reactions: VanPastorMan
It will be interesting to see what is done in honor of him.
It has been reported that he didn't want anything but was that still his sentiment after he moved back to Bton?
Talk to the family and listen to them.
Obviously something must be done in his honor,and I'm confident it will be.

Reactions: Al Bino and ulrey
Branch win % - .677
RMK - .735

Branch Conference Titles - 4
RMK - 11

And the biggie - 3 to 2.
Don't forget, Branch's teams had to be Big Ten champions to make the tourney, and there were 4 years he couldn't because of the all sport probation.

How many championships of the 11 were outright? No guarantee of being the tournament representative if shared. Remember the CCA championship? We weren't in the NCAA's because it was shared and Michigan was the Big Ten rep that year. (I think that was the last year only a single school per conference was allowed in)

If RMK had the same restriction Branch coached under, we don't win the 81 championship.

Don't forget, Branch's teams had to be Big Ten champions to make the tourney, and there were 4 years he couldn't because of the all sport probation.

How many championships of the 11 were outright? No guarantee of being the tournament representative if shared. Remember the CCA championship? We weren't in the NCAA's because it was shared and Michigan was the Big Ten rep that year. (I think that was the last year only a single school per conference was allowed in)

If RMK had the same restriction Branch coached under, we don't win the 81 championship.
Certainly you're not belittling RMK 's achievements?

Reactions: ulrey

But they did win in 81…

Certainly you're not belittling RMK 's achievements?
Not in the least. I'm just saying he had more opportunities to take teams into the tourney than Branch did due to the rules when Branch was coaching.

Certainly you're not belittling CBM's achievements either?

Indiana Basketball was fortunate to have both.

But they did win in 81…
Yes we did. And in March 1981 we were by far the best team in college basketball.

All I'm saying is until 1974, that team wouldn't have been in the tourney because they weren't conference champions.

I don't know how to best honor Coach Knight. Obviously he built a legacy here that deserves recognition. The way he was forced to leave, and the anamosity that created, presents challenges to creating a worthy tribute while respecting the Knight family's wishes.

Reactions: ulrey and Al Bino

I believe 8 of RMK’s 11 conference championships were outright.

We made the tourney 24 times. Won 3.

Should have won in 73 if not for 2 bad calls against Downing.
Probably win in 75 if May doesn't break his arm.
Have a great opportunity to win in 80 if not for Wittman's foot and Woodson's back.
If Henderson isn't injured in 91, who knows, but you have to like our chances with RMK as the coach.
Got hosed again in 93.

RMK probably should have 7 maybe 8, not 3.

Reactions: Spartans9312
We made the tourney 24 times. Won 3.

Should have won in 73 if not for 2 bad calls against Downing.
Probably win in 75 if May doesn't break his arm.
Have a great opportunity to win in 80 if not for Wittman's foot and Woodson's back.
If Henderson isn't injured in 91, who knows, but you have to like our chances with RMK as the coach.
Got hosed again in 93.

RMK probably should have 7 maybe 8, not 3.
1973 - agreed, and that last foul was really horrible.
1975 - agreed, even though we did not win the tourney, IU was voted #1 in the country post season. that should count....because it was true.
1980 - not sure, very competitive year, lots of great teams.
1991 - agreed
1993 - can't remember a thing about that tournament. I must block it out for good reason.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT