ADVERTISEMENT

I expect to see a statue of RMK at SSAH

Just Knight Hall is my vote if I join the naming committee.
Yeah, I didn't love what I wrote, but I did put as much thought into it as I could at 5:30 in the morning, and the thing I settled on was that Coach should be in the name, because I think it was such a part of who he was and for me, especially with him but I also had a very influential Coach in high school, it is a sign of respect, right up there with Doctor, etc... Coach Knight Hall?

It gets so messy now with donors. To me, you've got to do something because you named the court after Branch McCracken, so you're either going to have to share that somehow, or share the name for the Hall, which the Simon-Skjodt's probably have to be on board with. Dolson's going to have to get creative. What I am confident of, is we couldn't have a better guy as Coach at this moment than CMW. I think he'll push for the school to do the right thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1
That would be great!

IMO, what should be named for him is the library. He was such a supporter and raised a ton of money for it.
That's a better idea and I'd bet one Coach would prefer, until you realize it's already the Herman B Wells Library. Rightly or wrongly, don't imagine that's changing.

Reactions: 76-1 and brianiu
Yeah, I didn't love what I wrote, but I did put as much thought into it as I could at 5:30 in the morning, and the thing I settled on was that Coach should be in the name, because I think it was such a part of who he was and for me, especially with him but I also had a very influential Coach in high school, it is a sign of respect, right up there with Doctor, etc... Coach Knight Hall?

It gets so messy now with donors. To me, you've got to do something because you named the court after Branch McCracken, so you're either going to have to share that somehow, or share the name for the Hall, which the Simon-Skjodt's probably have to be on board with. Dolson's going to have to get creative. What I am confident of, is we couldn't have a better guy as Coach at this moment than CMW. I think he'll push for the school to do the right thing.
I don’t know but one possibility might be McCracken-Knight Court and a statue.

I don’t know but one possibility might be McCracken-Knight Court and a statue.
This is what they should do.

Zero chance they're taking off the Simon Skodt name...and they shouldn't even broach the subject with that family.

Same would go for the practice facility...that would be the most apt place for Coach Knights name...as that facility is where the heartbeat of RMK's program would have been if we had such a place when he were coaching. But obviously it was paid for as well by a prominent family, and they should have their name on it if they want it to be on it.

So...McCracken-Knight Court...with an area out front that has statues of both of them. Maybe put something in between Cook and SSAH, like a nice congregating area with their statues and some other cool stuff. "Coach Knight Champions Plaza"...or something like that.

***Edited again...obviously this is after they consult with Coach's family members. He might not have wanted IU to do any of this stuff.

well, we've got the perfect Coach in place to make it happen I believe. I think (hope) CMW will insist he be honored appropriately by the University and I think Coach Bob Knight Arena is the appropriate thing.
You're absolutely right, if anyone can get it done would be Woody & he probably can if he has a good enough season this or next.

Reactions: kkott
This man should have been memorialized while he was alive. He deserved that.
As I understand it, he was against that. Maybe stubbornness? I agree that he deserves it, so maybe leave it up to his family to decide if they feel it is problematic in going against his wishes.

well, we've got the perfect Coach in place to make it happen I believe. I think (hope) CMW will insist he be honored appropriately by the University and I think Coach Bob Knight Arena is the appropriate thing.
Plus Quinn heading the BOT will have influence

Zero chance they're taking off the Simon Skodt name...and they shouldn't even broach the subject with that family.

Same would go for the practice facility...that would be the most apt place for Coach Knights name...as that facility is where the heartbeat of RMK's program would have been if we had such a place when he were coaching. But obviously it was paid for as well by a prominent family, and they should have their name on it if they want it to be on it.

So...McCracken-Knight Court...with an area out front that has statues of both of them. Maybe put something in between Cook and SSAH, like a nice congregating area with their statues and some other cool stuff. "Coach Knight Champions Plaza"...or something like that.

***Edited again...obviously this is after they consult with Coach's family members. He might not have wanted IU to do any of this stuff.
Yeah, that's about where I am too. Should be Coach Knight-McCracken Court, in my mind! I guess the only exception would be if they had an idea for a name of either (SSAH or Cook Hall) and one of them approved of any proposed name change.

Yeah, that's about where I am too. Should be Coach Knight-McCracken Court, in my mind! I guess the only exception would be if they had an idea for a name of either (SSAH or Cook Hall) and one of them approved of any proposed name change.
It would be nice if the Simons stepped aside and named it after him

Reactions: UncleMark
It would be nice if the Simons stepped aside and named it after him
Knowing what little I do about them...that isn't going to happen. But it would be nice.

Maybe IU should run replacing "Assembly" with "Coach Knight" by them...

Simon Skjodt Coach Knight Hall

Coach Knight Hall would be so incredibly awesome.

I’m sure the future name of assembly hall was discussed when they were making a deal w the SS people, right? There had to have been discussions about the name eventually going to RMK in some way.

Reactions: UncleMark
I’m sure the future name of assembly hall was discussed when they were making a deal w the SS people, right? There had to have been discussions about the name eventually going to RMK in some way.
Good thought...probably a good chance of that.

I think the most likely gesture will be Knight-McCracken Court.

Coach Knight wouldn't spend a second worrying about something being named in his honor. That said, supporting the library was always a priority for him.

I'd like to see the library named after him and some addition to Assembly Hall that references him.

Branch McCracken died shortly before AH first opened.

for obvious reasons there was strong sentiment that the new arena should be named after Branch, but iirc, the university had a policy that you had to be deceased X amount of time first,

because of the age of many here, their memories are of Bobby.

that said, in the overall hierarchy, it would be tough to elevate RMK over Branch, who had an even stronger IU legacy, which also included being an AA player at IU, serving in WWII, and 24 yrs as IU coach.

no doubt both have earned their place in IU history, but other than recency bias, i don't see how RMK gets elevated over Branch, who should have had AH named after him decades ago.

Last edited:

for obvious reasons there was strong sentiment that the new arena should be named after Branch, but iirc, the university had a policy that you had to be deceased X amount of time first,

that said, in the overall hierarchy, it would be tough to elevate RMK over Branch who had an even stronger IU legacy, which also included being an AA player at IU, serving in WWII, and 24 yrs as IU coach.

no doubt both have earned their place in IU history, but other than recency bias, i don't see how RMK gets elevated over Branch, who should have had AH named after him decades ago.

Granted, I didn’t see or experience Branch McCracken basketball, but I find it hard to believe RMK didn’t surpass BM with basketball accomplishments.

with you on this

Should his statue have his iconic Red Sweater or his old school plad suit??

images

images

Reactions: birdforbogey
Granted, I didn’t see or experience Branch McCracken basketball, but I find it hard to believe RMK didn’t surpass BM with basketball accomplishments.
Yes, I'm too young to remember McCracken and not to diminish him, but 3 NCAA titles vs. McCracken's 2, 11 conference titles (8 of those outright), an NIT title (according to Hammel, that one meant the most to RMK). Two straight undefeated Big 10 seasons representing a 37-game conference win streak.

"In the first 33 NCAA tournament years (1939-1971), Big Ten teams won four championships. In Knight’s 29 IU seasons (1972-2000), Big Ten teams won six. Since he left the league 22 tournaments ago, the now 14-team Big Ten has won none."

https://www.heraldtimesonline.com/s...-bob-hammel-on-friend-bob-knight/71414701007/

Considering it all, "Knight-McCracken Court" seems like the least they should do.

Reactions: birdforbogey

that said, in the overall hierarchy, it would be tough to elevate RMK over Branch, who had an even stronger IU legacy, which also included being an AA player at IU, serving in WWII, and 24 yrs as IU coach.

With all due respect to branch, he never coached in the hall. Knight on the other hand had quite a bit of success there. Great memories.

That's a better idea and I'd bet one Coach would prefer, until you realize it's already the Herman B Wells Library. Rightly or wrongly, don't imagine that's changing.

Crap, I forgot that.
Doesn't Wells have his name on other things?
IU HAS to do something to honor RMK and I mean more than a statue (which is a great idea).

Isn’t there a statue of coach Knight with the 76 team holding the national championship trophy in the south entry area of A.H.

Knight Court?…too obvious. Would prefer the facility named after Coach Knight and retain Branch McCracken Court.

Reactions: kmathum
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT