ADVERTISEMENT

I Don't Care If He Never Plays Another Game

MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg
Hollywood is goin' down as a Bucket LEGEND - right up there with the 19-14 fumble, the Mike Phipps fight, and the Austin Starr "FG for Hep"!

BEST BUCKET PIC EVER

635529619718490397-Zander-Diamont.jpg

I like this one better...

via The Crimson Quarry:

2zmhYC2.jpg

My advice to the P.C. Police, who obviously have nothing better to do. Is a line from Sgt. Hulka in stripes." LIGHTEN UP FRANCIS" otherwise as get a real life. Lots worse things being smoked on that campus, than an unlit cigar.

Why? Who was complaining?

No one in this thread. (oh, and that cigar is lit, like it should be, it just makes the photo that much more epic)

They had to go on record as saying something

As silly as it seems to do so.

The best reaction has been the PUkes sobbing and crying about it on social media. It almost has made them forget about crooked Star-Spangled Banner lines and handshakes.

I don't believe anyone from IU said anything about it.

The line from the story is "Indiana University has been a smoke-free campus since Jan. 1, 2008, so school leaders cannot be happy about the photo." There's no quote from anyone at IU and I haven't seen any actual quote anywhere. It's just a reporter's speculation.

Celebrating that whopping ONE win that he lead us to

Not exactly Johhny Football, although the douchey picture might suggest otherwise....

Hate to say it, but that kid is not a BigTen level quarterback.....no arm, weighs about 160 lbs., can't throw accurately (especially when on the run)...etc., etc.

He won't see the field again unless we lose another 4 QBs in front of him....
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Re: Celebrating that whopping ONE win that he lead us to

I won't predict the kid's future but I will say your boldness in doing so seems premature to me - maybe even foolish. No offense but I will trust Wilson and his staff to evaluate quarterback talent. He seems to have a pretty good track record.

Diamont made tremendous progress over the span of six games, as much as any kid I've ever seen given the circumstances. People who have never coached football or been a quarterback themselves have no concept of how difficult that position is to play for a kid moving to a new level. Especially if the kid goes from end of the bench and not expecting to play at all to instant starter. It was obvious that by the OSU and Bucket games that the game was beginning to slow down as plays unfolded in front of him. That is the single most important piece of the puzzle for a young quarterback because it dictates everything from reads to placement of throws to sensing pressure in the pocket.

Your assessment that he has no arm and can't throw accurately is flat wrong. At this point he struggles to be consistent with throws but he can still throw it. The accuracy comes with experience and better/more experienced receivers would have made a huge difference in Diamont's numbers and fans' perception of his throwing ability.

As for his size and strength, that is why he was being redshirted. I've never seen a college football player (or any 19-year-old boy) not get bigger and significantly stronger by the time he was 22 or 23 years old. At 6 feet tall and 185 - 190 pounds with his elusiveness and footspeed (both of which are above average though admittedly not elite) I think the kid can play quarterback at the highest level of college football. Drew Brees and Doug Flutie turned out fine with no more physical stature than Diamont will likely have. It's unknown to me if he will have the intangibles that made those two guys special, but I sure as hell won't write the kid off. He made some great plays in the PUke game and showed flashes in the others.

Given the opportunity to be a first-string player in practice and games over the course of a full spring and another season I think Zander will be fine. It would be nice if he doesn't have to play next year but beyond that, I'm not willing to bet that he won't end up being our guy. I have nothing but admiration for the job he did this year under the most difficult circumstances imagineable.

I realize that you aren't trashing him personally but I still think your assessment of his abilities and his future is wrong. I hope you will come on the forum and admit it if that proves to be the case. If he turns out to be a bust and never plays I will promise to do the same.

I don't know anything about the kid other than what I've seen this season and what I've read about him in the newspapers but there is something about him that I really like. He has a presence. I've learned in 30+ years of coaching to not underestimate intelligence and will in kids who lack physical stature. An old D-III college football coach I knew used to say of his quarterbacks that if the kid could "read (defenses) and lead he will succed".

This post was edited on 12/5 10:10 AM by oldcougar77

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT