ADVERTISEMENT

I do not recall in my life this many Presidential Candidates from one Party

davegolf

All-American
Sep 18, 2001
Even just considering the declared it is mind boggling and not one comes close to sticking out IMO. How will they conduct primaries in assigning delegates. One could have a minimum percentage of the votes based upon hardcore supporters and still have all the delegates because they had more then anyone else unless the rules are changed. Convention will be a nightmare! This could be humorous if the outcome was not so serious!

Skip Andrews ◄ DECLARED
Michael Bickelmeyer ◄ DECLARED
Kerry Bowers ◄ DECLARED
Jeb Bush ◄ EXPLORING
Dr. Ben Carson ◄ DECLARED
Dale Christensen ◄ DECLARED
Chris Christie ◄ EXPLORING
Ted Cruz ◄ DECLARED
John Dummett, Jr. ◄ DECLARED
Bob Ehrlich
Mark Everson ◄ DECLARED
Carly Fiorina ◄ DECLARED
Jim Gilmore
Lindsey Graham ◄ EXPLORING
Chris Hill ◄ DECLARED
Mike Huckabee ◄ DECLARED
Bobby Jindal ◄ EXPLORING
John Kasich
Peter King
Michael Kinlaw ◄ DECLARED
Dennis Michael Lynch ◄ EXPLORING
George Pataki ◄ DECLARED
Rand Paul ◄ DECLARED
Rick Perry ◄ EXPLORING
Michael Petyo ◄ DECLARED
Marco Rubio ◄ DECLARED
Brian Russell ◄ DECLARED
Rick Santorum ◄ DECLARED
Rick Snyder
Donald Trump ◄ EXPLORING
Scott Walker ◄ EXPLORING

Even just considering the declared it is mind boggling and not one comes close to sticking out IMO. How will they conduct primaries in assigning delegates. One could have a minimum percentage of the votes based upon hardcore supporters and still have all the delegates because they had more then anyone else unless the rules are changed. Convention will be a nightmare! This could be humorous if the outcome was not so serious!

Skip Andrews ◄ DECLARED
Kerry Bowers ◄ DECLARED
Jeb Bush ◄ EXPLORING
Ted Cruz ◄ DECLARED
Bob Ehrlich
Mark Everson ◄ DECLARED
Carly Fiorina ◄ DECLARED
Jim Gilmore
Chris Hill ◄ DECLARED
Mike Huckabee ◄ DECLARED
Bobby Jindal ◄ EXPLORING
John Kasich
Peter King
George Pataki ◄ DECLARED
Rand Paul ◄ DECLARED
Rick Perry ◄ EXPLORING
Michael Petyo ◄ DECLARED
Marco Rubio ◄ DECLARED
Brian Russell ◄ DECLARED
Rick Santorum ◄ DECLARED
Rick Snyder
Donald Trump ◄ EXPLORING
Scott Walker ◄ EXPLORING

Dave, I don't get it either. Fully 11 of those names I've never heard of before . . . .

Either the GOP currently has more statesmen than a single generation can reasonably produce, or more egos than a single party can reasonably accommodate.

I see Rand Paul desperately trying to be considered the former . . . to me at least it feels more desperate than statesmanlike, and he's likely diminishing himself in the process. For the time being I'd bet Mitch McConnell would agree with me, after Rand's performance regarding the NSA surveillance bill - and McConnell's endorsed Paul's candidacy! Which might be a kiss of death to a libertarian candidate . . . .

Of course it'll change drastically, but right now that list looks like a listing of entrants to a Kentucky Derby . . . and we'll only know if there's a Triple Crown worthy horse when the Belmont gets run.

The funniest thing about the 2016 race is that the guy who has the best grass roots momentum right now is Bernie Sanders . . . go figure.

I'm here to announce that I am exploring the possibility of setting up my own exploratory committee to explore whether I should set up an exploratory committee regarding a possible run for the presidency.

Dave, I don't get it either. Fully 11 of those names I've never heard of before . . . .

Either the GOP currently has more statesmen than a single generation can reasonably produce, or more egos than a single party can reasonably accommodate.

I see Rand Paul desperately trying to be considered the former . . . to me at least it feels more desperate than statesmanlike, and he's likely diminishing himself in the process. For the time being I'd bet Mitch McConnell would agree with me, after Rand's performance regarding the NSA surveillance bill - and McConnell's endorsed Paul's candidacy! Which might be a kiss of death to a libertarian candidate . . . .

Of course it'll change drastically, but right now that list looks like a listing of entrants to a Kentucky Derby . . . and we'll only know if there's a Triple Crown worthy horse when the Belmont gets run.

The funniest thing about the 2016 race is that the guy who has the best grass roots momentum right now is Bernie Sanders . . . go figure.
I think you hit the nail on the head EGOS

That's because he's the only one who is all that different from any of the other candidates--on either side. But a devoted fringe following can't get you the nomination. Just ask Ralph Nader and a host of others who have tried in the past. Heck, the only difference between Bernie Sanders and someone like Ralph Nader is that Sanders has the temerity to run as a Democrat rather than as part of some other fringe party. Stay tuned, however, as I am almost certain that Sanders will jump ship at some point and announce he is the candidate of some other party no one has ever heard of before.

As for Ralph Nader, apparently he wants Bill Gates, Ted Turner or Oprah to join the 2016 race--or some other "modestly enlightened rich person": http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...eeks-modestly-enlightened-billionaire-to-run/

Skip Andrews ◄ DECLARED
Kerry Bowers ◄ DECLARED
Jeb Bush ◄ EXPLORING
Ted Cruz ◄ DECLARED
Bob Ehrlich
Mark Everson ◄ DECLARED
Carly Fiorina ◄ DECLARED
Jim Gilmore
Chris Hill ◄ DECLARED
Mike Huckabee ◄ DECLARED
Bobby Jindal ◄ EXPLORING
John Kasich
Peter King
George Pataki ◄ DECLARED
Rand Paul ◄ DECLARED
Rick Perry ◄ EXPLORING
Michael Petyo ◄ DECLARED
Marco Rubio ◄ DECLARED
Brian Russell ◄ DECLARED
Rick Santorum ◄ DECLARED
Rick Snyder
Donald Trump ◄ EXPLORING
Scott Walker ◄ EXPLORING

Not all of them seriously think they can be president. A lot of them do it to better position themselves financially when it comes to speaking fees and such. "Come listen to former republican presidential candidate ________". It also doesn't hurt your chances of getting your own show on Fox later if you go extreme right. It worked for Huckabee.

Assuming you are correct and not all are serious their sure the hell is still a lot who are and not sure how all that will shake out.

I see Rand Paul desperately trying to be considered the former . . . to me at least it feels more desperate than statesmanlike, and he's likely diminishing himself in the process. .
Rand Paul is no Ron Paul. While the latter had principles and stuck to it, which made me almost voted for him, Rand is just another run of the mill politician.

IMHO, Jeb Bush is the best of the bunch with some principles mixed with pragmatism. He is no George Bush.

Last edited:
Rand Paul is no Ron Paul. While the latter had principles and stuck to it, which made me almost voted for him, Rand is just another run of the mill politician.

IMHO, Jeff Bush is the best of the bunch with some principles mixed with pragmatism. He is no George Bush.

Yet another candidate . . . Jeff Bush! Wonder if he's related to the political Bush family . . . . ;)

Reactions: mjvcaj
I think you hit the nail on the head EGOS

Partially, of course. I mean....George Pataki? Lindsey Graham?

But I think it's also reflective of a very fractured Republican Party -- and the fractures are, for the most part, substantive.

I'm still of the mind that Fiorina is only there as a designated anti-Hillary foil. And virtually everything she's said since her name started appearing points in that direction.

The fracture between the party establishment and the grassroots is well known, of course. But there are even sub-fractures there -- particularly between the hawks and the libertarians (as evidenced by this latest hullabaloo in the Senate).

Santorum and Huckabee (along with Ben Carson) seem eager to keep social conservatism at the top of the Republican agenda. But they're clearly tilting at windmills there.

Republicans need to nominate a candidate who can unite these disparate factions, if that's even possible (and it might not be -- there is no common ground between, say, Jeb Bush championing the NSA snooping and Rand Paul pulling out all the stops to end it).

I've long thought that Scott Walker was the best chance at a unity candidate for Republicans. Maybe Rubio can fit that bill, too.

Interesting times, to be sure. And I also still think that, before it's all said and done, Martin O'Malley will pose a very real threat to Hillary Clinton on the Democratic side. Her husband was elected largely (IMO) on his mojo and charisma. She doesn't have much of that -- but O'Malley seems to have it in spades.

Almost everybody hails a politician who "has principles" and "sticks to them", but (for better or worse) few of them are ever elected -- particularly to the presidency. That office seems more fit for, well, run of the mill politicians.

Not that I think Rand Paul stands a snowball's chance of winning. He isn't going to fare much better than his father did. But, at the end of the day, Rand does seem to understand better than his dad ever did that you have to have some equity with your party's establishment or you may as well forget about it. Ron Paul didn't care about winning, he wanted to make a point. I think Rand actually wants to win, but he's not going to.

It's a big electorate. And nobody ever won the presidency by appealing largely or exclusively to a small sliver of it.

Good catch. It happens when you type with one eye, that I am not used o.

I've made the correction before mjvcal calls me an idiot.

Too late. Sope did it for me. Just in a more subtle way.

Skip Andrews ◄ DECLARED
Kerry Bowers ◄ DECLARED
Jeb Bush ◄ EXPLORING
Ted Cruz ◄ DECLARED
Bob Ehrlich
Mark Everson ◄ DECLARED
Carly Fiorina ◄ DECLARED
Jim Gilmore
Chris Hill ◄ DECLARED
Mike Huckabee ◄ DECLARED
Bobby Jindal ◄ EXPLORING
John Kasich
Peter King
George Pataki ◄ DECLARED
Rand Paul ◄ DECLARED
Rick Perry ◄ EXPLORING
Michael Petyo ◄ DECLARED
Marco Rubio ◄ DECLARED
Brian Russell ◄ DECLARED
Rick Santorum ◄ DECLARED
Rick Snyder
Donald Trump ◄ EXPLORING
Scott Walker ◄ EXPLORING

I was thinking so until I recalled how many Dems ran in 1992

1992 Democratic Primary actual votes cast for 25 different candidates and 9 candidates had convention delegates committed who cast their convention votes for them.
Total popular vote number in primaries:[7]

Convention tallies[edit]
For President:[8]

The Republican field isn't that complicated. The plausible contenders are Scott Walker, Jeb Bush, and Marco Rubio. Then there is the clown car. I'm rooting for the clown car.

I just don't think some citizens (aka "folks") understand how serious this election is for our children and grand-children.... they'll be the ones fighting the next war(s) (not that the last one ever ended) seeing as how most of "us" are beyond the maximum draft age (unless things get really bad)... better make sure we get the right person in there... one that can see us through the next war... because it's coming... and apparently (according to the seemingly "World" opinion)... it's our turn to take a bit of a thumping... and I'm not sure our youth have the stomach for it...

The Republican field isn't that complicated. The plausible contenders are Scott Walker, Jeb Bush, and Marco Rubio. Then there is the clown car. I'm rooting for the clown car.

Walker wants to promote the idea of a Walker-Rubio ticket. Rubio's holding out for alphabetical order though . . . .

Reactions: rocket_knight
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT