ADVERTISEMENT

I-69/I-465 interchange now open

Walt542

All-Big Ten
May 9, 2008
They opened the I-69/I-465 interchange on Tuesday quite a bit ahead of the schedule they put out at the start of this section of highway. Good news for any of you coming to Bloomington from Indy or north to football games this year. No stop lights until you get into town all the way.

https://fox59-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/fox59.com/indiana-news/as-i-69-opens-more-work-ahead-near-interchange/amp/?amp_js_v=0.1&amp_gsa=1#webview=1&cap=swipe
good news. i'm headed that way next week. i was up there in june and 465east southbound was completely closed.

Reactions: vesuvius13
They opened the I-69/I-465 interchange on Tuesday quite a bit ahead of the schedule they put out at the start of this section of highway. Good news for any of you coming to Bloomington from Indy or north to football games this year. No stop lights until you get into town all the way.

https://fox59-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/fox59.com/indiana-news/as-i-69-opens-more-work-ahead-near-interchange/amp/?amp_js_v=0.1&amp_gsa=1#webview=1&cap=swipe
But there's construction on 46 right as you get to town that is supposed to go until November (?).

• Sad

If I'm reading that correctly it sounds like I -465 proper will still have multiple issues thru the end of 2024...

Never underestimate the DOT's ability to find a way to bottle neck a direct route to Bloomington during Football season...

Is 465east northbound ok?

I'll have to remind my 78 year old sister. She goes that way often. She's got a lead foot. Kinda like that lady from Pasadena

Dukes Of Hazzard Television GIF

Worst traffic I was ever in getting to an IU football game was 2021 against Cincinnati home game. That was the sweltering game where they ran out of water.
I69 southbound was cut off right at the hill north of Martinsville and they routed everyone through the downtown. Utter nightmare.

How many decades has it been now since this whole thing began?

The construction I'm talking about has nothing to do with I-69. This is actually recent. They're redoing the bypass at the entrances to the cheap motels on the north side and putting in a ramp to access the old IN46 road (Arlington Rd.).

The construction I'm talking about has nothing to do with I-69. This is actually recent. They're redoing the bypass at the entrances to the cheap motels on the north side and putting in a ramp to access the old IN46 road (Arlington Rd.).
Yeah. I am really hoping they can get that done before any of the big games. They are certainly working a lot on it.

Reactions: red hornet and 76-1

Good old INDOT... Probably never occurred to them to attempt to start 3 months sooner...😖🙉🙈😡

Worst traffic I was ever in getting to an IU football game was 2021 against Cincinnati home game. That was the sweltering game where they ran out of water.
I69 southbound was cut off right at the hill north of Martinsville and they routed everyone through the downtown. Utter nightmare.
Do you think that was by accident? I remember when Martinsville officials said, wake
up Martinsville you are about to get bypassed. lol

465 has been a wreck all summer, with sections closed completely. I'm not sure what their future plans are, though.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Watch out for state patrols on I69 southbound. They enforce the 70 mile limit. You can probably get away with 75 mph but after that, you swim at your own risk.
I’ve driven to & from Bloomington from the N for over 50 yrs. I can probably count the number of police/state patrols over the years on my two hands. They have patrolled the opposite direction of game traffic, but not the direction the heavy traffic is flowing.
Traffic speeds greatly exceeded 70mph

I’ve driven to & from Bloomington from the N for over 50 yrs. I can probably count the number of police/state patrols over the years on my two hands. They have patrolled the opposite direction of game traffic, but not the direction the heavy traffic is flowing.
Traffic speeds greatly exceeded 70mph
That’s when it was a state road.
Now it’s an interstate. You’ll see an increase.

I-69 north of Indy - 80+ MPH, I-465 (55 mph) - 75+ MPH, I70 & I74 - 80+ MPH, I69 S of Martinsville 80+ MPH
Why would I69 from Indy South all of a sudden be enforced?
I was about to say that I take it regularly between Indy/Bloomington and Bloomington/Evansville and I have pretty much done 80+ North and South of Bloomington and since they upped the speed limit through town I go 70+. I have passed troopers and they don't even budge. I would worry more about pushing it in Martinsville or Bloomington but no problems unless you are just driving like a mad man.

During the last week of any month is when you need to watch your speed regardless of where you're driving... The first 2 & 1/2 years after I retired I drove some UBER during the daytime. It was just like clockwork, starting the last week of the month, whenever I was on the Interstate between I-69 and the airport there would be two or three cars pulled over ... that was both on the way there and back, no matter many how many trips I made.... It's not a myth, the State Police issue tickets to make their montly quota as close to the end of the month as possible.... and, come the 1st day of the month, you couldn't find a State Police car if you tried.

I was about to say that I take it regularly between Indy/Bloomington and Bloomington/Evansville and I have pretty much done 80+ North and South of Bloomington and since they upped the speed limit through town I go 70+. I have passed troopers and they don't even budge. I would worry more about pushing it in Martinsville or Bloomington but no problems unless you are just driving like a mad man.
During the last week of any month is when you need to watch your speed regardless of where you're driving... The first 2 & 1/2 years after I retired I drove some UBER during the daytime. It was just like clockwork, starting the last week of the month, whenever I was on the Interstate between I-69 and the airport there would be two or three cars pulled over ... that was both on the way there and back, no matter many how many trips I made.... It's not a myth, the State Police issue tickets to make their montly quota as close to the end of the month as possible.... and, come the 1st day of the month, you couldn't find a State Police car if you tried.
Pretty much my experience, day or night.

Reactions: red hornet and 76-1
joey bosa tech GIF

Reports early on were that when and where possible they would try and keep both lanes open on football weekends, and/or do lane shifting to accommodate incoming/outgoing traffic. That may or may not turn out to be the case in practice.

As of today, the 46 bypass between I-69 and Kinser has been opened to two narrow lanes, so they've kept their promise at least for this weekend. (Prior to today there was only one lane open.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT