ADVERTISEMENT

Hurricane Helene - she's going to be one expensive bitch

I agree!

I will never buy in Florida. It’s always been my plans to have winter retirement home in Florida. With what I’ve watched happen to my client/friends no way I buy on the coast like I planned.

Still hoping I get my money refunded for my St Pete Beach vacation that was supposed to start on Sept 27.
Much of the coastal Florida damage I’ve seen was to residences built decades ago. I visit Anna Maria Island every year, and the pictures I’ve seen show that the places built under modern codes held up very well. But that is about storm surge. The flooding in non-coastal areas is awful and there is little defense to that.

Chimney Rock NC where Last of the Mohicans was filmed is wiped out. Awful.

MM66, hate to mention it, but..

When talking about hurricanes, wind, and water some of us with warped minds think about global warming.

On the subject of warped (and juvenile) minds, hurricanes and insurance...when talking about insurance companies not covering after hurricanes some of us think about how much harder it is to get them to cover titty twister damage.

60 Minutes did a report last night about property insurance companies ripping off policy holders following a hurricane.

Bottom line, unless you take your case to court you will receive a small fraction of the coverage you paid premiums for. Hardly anyone does this.
Anybody who watches 60 Minutes for accurate information needs to have their heads examined.

This day and age with aggressive trial lawyers, insurance laws and regs, and bad faith claims, it’s damn hard for insurance companies to rip off their policy holders. The problem is that in Florida a typical homeowners policy might be fine for a fire claim, but water and flood damage isn’t covered by any policy without another covered loss causing the damage. People don’t understand what they have.

And in mass claims from a hurricane or fire (like in Colorado a few years ago) there won’t be enough coverage because there are not enough trades-people to do the work at normal prices.

Our dog became diabetic last year. As part of us learning how to deal with those ramifications, my wife joined a Facebook group for diabetic dog owners. There have been several posts about how some of the dog owners in NC / SC are having to ration their insulin. They just weren't prepared for this kind of disruption to the infrastructure. No power / internet means that most doctors / vets offices are closed and local pharmacies (even those at the Publix / Walmarts) are either also closed or have already run out of some meds.

Nick is a huge liar, and you've been duped yet again.

I just googled Chimney Rock, hit the "News" tab, and saw page after page after page of stories about the devastation.
Google the news tab? lol.

Biden, Harris and the Democrats talk more about Israel bombing Gaza than mentioning the utter devastation across the South.

Anybody who watches 60 Minutes for accurate information needs to have their heads examined.

This day and age with aggressive trial lawyers, insurance laws and regs, and bad faith claims, it’s damn hard for insurance companies to rip off their policy holders. The problem is that in Florida a typical homeowners policy might be fine for a fire claim, but water and flood damage isn’t covered by any policy without another covered loss causing the damage. People don’t understand what they have.

And in mass claims from a hurricane or fire (like in Colorado a few years ago) there won’t be enough coverage because there are not enough trades-people to do the work at normal prices.
You should research a little bit before commenting. Below is the story. There are adjusters who kept their records. Their records show they submitted to the insurance company something like "needs entire rough replaced." The company changed it to "repair hole in roof" but showed it as what the adjuster wrote.

No matter what case comes up, the one I presented a month ago about medical insurance, your answer is fraud cannot exist because lawyers. You don't actually read the stories that show people ARE being defrauded.

Reactions: Bowlmania
MM66, hate to mention it, but..

When talking about hurricanes, wind, and water some of us with warped minds think about global warming.
Yep. hurricanes and global warming roll off the tongues of warped minded Democrats after every storm.

Many of us know the agenda is neither climate change nor storm mitigation.

Reactions: jet812
You should research a little bit before commenting. Below is the story. There are adjusters who kept their records. Their records show they submitted to the insurance company something like "needs entire rough replaced." The company changed it to "repair hole in roof" but showed it as what the adjuster wrote.

No matter what case comes up, the one I presented a month ago about medical insurance, your answer is fraud cannot exist because lawyers. You don't actually read the stories that show people ARE being defrauded.
I don’t deny there are bad insurance actors. I got a new goof a couple weeks ago from a July hail storm. I know of a neighbor a block away whose insurance company approved only minor repairs, contrary to what the roofer and adjuster said. I suggested the homeowner see a lawyer. In Colorado, insurance companies run a huge risk for unreasonable claim denials.

60 minutes is still hogwash.

Reactions: jet812

CoH, don't think you and 60 Minutes are necessarily in disagreement.

Where you might disagree is the use of "aggressive trial lawyers". 60 Minutes claimed this is the only way to get a fair settlement but isn't used much, and you make it sound as if everyone goes this route.

CoH, don't think you and 60 Minutes are necessarily in disagreement.

Where you might disagree is the use of "aggressive trial lawyers". 60 Minutes claimed this is the only way to get a fair settlement but isn't used much, and you make it sound as if everyone goes this route.

I suspect insurance companies know what percentage will appeal a claim. If that percentage is 20%, even Colorado's "2 to 3 times" penalty makes denying profitable.

Titty twisters and 2 ache-rs. Good times.

We are but a product of our times...

I can relate to just about everything in this lady's set. Our BB gun wars also included artillery, as I accompanied my uncle and aunt on his few trips a year down to Tennessee to the illegal fireworks store, so I was able to outfit my team with more than BB's/Pellets (the opposition probably has PTSD from Whistling Moon Travelers fired at them from a Crossman 760 barrel). I will add since it's Indiana, we had monumental sledding accidents as kids as well. Or using those same sledding hills to ride wagons, old metal pedal cars or super sketchy homemade soapbox style cars made out of old lawnmower decks, half rotten lumber and lawn chairs.

I can relate to just about everything in this lady's set. Our BB gun wars also included artillery, as I accompanied my uncle and aunt on his few trips a year down to Tennessee to the illegal fireworks store, so I was able to outfit my team with more than BB's/Pellets (the opposition probably has PTSD from Whistling Moon Travelers fired at them from a Crossman 760 barrel). I will add since it's Indiana, we had monumental sledding accidents as kids as well. Or using those same sledding hills to ride wagons, old metal pedal cars or super sketchy homemade soapbox style cars made out of old lawnmower decks, half rotten lumber and lawn chairs.
Bottle rocket wars with pipes

I agree!

I will never buy in Florida. It’s always been my plans to have winter retirement home in Florida. With what I’ve watched happen to my client/friends no way I buy on the coast like I planned.

Still hoping I get my money refunded for my St Pete Beach vacation that was supposed to start on Sept 27.
We bought a condo 5 miles from the beach in a golf community (my wife golfs, I don't) in 2016. I just couldn't see paying for 3 months down there in rent when we could buy. We rent it out 1 or 2 months out of the year to pay our condo and golf fees.

The value has really gone up since 2016, but our HOA insurance has gone crazy. Plus, they're doing an upgrade on the clubhouse and pools, so that's an extra lump sum fee.

Overall, it was a decent investment and, since we're on the 2nd floor, we don't have to worry about flooding. And 5 miles in, we're still close to the beach. But insurance is really driving up the cost of ownership and it's not going to get any better.

Reactions: stollcpa

I think we had the same childhood. BB gun wars on bikes were the best. We were like Junior Hells Angels on those things.

My friend lived across the street from the park where they set off fireworks. We rigged bottle rockets with fire crackers and timed the fire crackers to explode when they hit the cars driving a long the road. We had to skedaddle out of there many times. lol

Bottle rocket wars with pipes
I had about an 8 ft piece of copper pipe that I'd cut a loading port at the back end and soldered a cap on. Stick it out of the hatch of my buddy's 'vette (Chevette) and send it as we passed cars on the highway. If you did that today?

jail-believe-it-or-not.gif

We bought a condo 5 miles from the beach in a golf community (my wife golfs, I don't) in 2016. I just couldn't see paying for 3 months down there in rent when we could buy. We rent it out 1 or 2 months out of the year to pay our condo and golf fees.

The value has really gone up since 2016, but our HOA insurance has gone crazy. Plus, they're doing an upgrade on the clubhouse and pools, so that's an extra lump sum fee.

Overall, it was a decent investment and, since we're on the 2nd floor, we don't have to worry about flooding. And 5 miles in, we're still close to the beach. But insurance is really driving up the cost of ownership and it's not going to get any better.
My buddy has a little house in dunedin. Water 3 feet high in house

• Sad
Reactions: DANC
When asked for comment, Tim Walz repeated his prior talking point: "We can't have 4 more years of this. Oh, and Go Blue!"

Sure he didn't say Go Blue when they were playing Minnesota? lol
Hell yeah he did. Unless what I saw was fake, the governor of Minnesota rooted against the Gophers at Ann Arbor.

It wasn't real. He didn't say Go Blue, just that going out on the field was a dream come true.

Last edited:
  • Haha
It wasn't fair at the time, but I remember all the shit Bush got for Katrina. The government's response so far has been as quick as it was then. Turnabout being fair play, Biden/Harris are failing those people in a similar fashion and are worthy of criticism.
Funny I don't remember Cheney being attacked for his response to Katrina.

Google the news tab? lol.
Your lame attempt at a comeback would only make sense if the evil lefty-controlled Google/MSM complex had yielded no/very few results on the devastation in the area...which was the falsehood dmb was trying to foist off on the board.

You need to go eat an extra cup of tapioca, old man.

I don't understand the hesitation for active duty military. I saw a story that for Camille, Nixon had lined up armored units to get in as soon as Camille moved out. In this case, North Carolina wasn't expected to be the worst hit, but there is plenty of military there. Throw engineers in tracked vehicles and get them in there, get pontoon bridges moving to open critical roads.

What am I missing? Wild guess, DoD concerns about where the budget comes from.

Your lame attempt at a comeback would only make sense if the evil lefty-controlled Google/MSM complex had yielded no/very few results on the devastation in the area...which was the falsehood dmb was trying to foist off on the board.

You need to go eat an extra cup of tapioca, old man.
SMH

I suspect insurance companies know what percentage will appeal a claim. If that percentage is 20%, even Colorado's "2 to 3 times" penalty makes denying profitable.
No it's not. It happens with alarming frequency. Most policy holders are either not sophisticated enough to recognize it, or simply roll over.
Pattern and practice evidence of insurance company misconduct would be a trial lawyer’s wet dream.

I know many people who’ve decided paying 2/3 months rent the cheaper way to go along with less hassle.

Reactions: BCCHoosier

Think Craze may be thinking of Michael Dewayne Brown who ran FEMA during Katrina.

While Bush and FEMA were being criticized, Bush was laughed at for being quoted as saying, "Good job, Brownie".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT