ADVERTISEMENT

Hunter Johnson Leaving Clemson.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a lot of chatter that Kirtz would commit to Purdue but that subsided. Sounds like there are coaches out there telling recruits that Brohm won’t be there for their entire careers. It’s possible but it makes sense why they’d use that tactic since I don’t know what else they could really use. I know you guys will land some players but I think it’s safe to say that what was an advantage for you guys recruiting in-state during the Hazell years has been almost eliminated by Brohm in a pretty short period of time. Guys like Britt, Kiser, Bell, Tracy, and Cam Williams wouldn’t have given us the time of day before and now we have a good shot to land some of them.

Purdue will land some good in-state guys but I expect that we will get our fair share too. The one area this staff seems to really excell in is recruiting. I mean sure, maybe Jeff Brohm is the more appealing HC(at the moment) but we do have the better facilities and campus life which can be an even bigger factor in recruiting.

Purdue will land some good in-state guys but I expect that we will get our fair share too. The one area this staff seems to really excell in is recruiting. I mean sure, maybe Jeff Brohm is the more appealing HC(at the moment) but we do have the better facilities and campus life which can be an even bigger factor in recruiting.

nice not so veiled cheap shot at the IU staff.

Just from taking all things in consideration, I like our chances.

He already knows the two coaches he'd be working with here (he had already committed to them once before Clemson offered).

We have a much more highly rated Communications Program than pu and we have better football facilities (in my opinion).

NW is the tougher competition in my view...

Purdue and IU are going to each get kids from the state of Indiana regardless of where the programs stand. The hard part for both is convincing guys like a David Bell or Sampson James to stay home. They will both struggle to do that surrounded by OSU, Michigan and Michigan State.

Reactions: TC4THREE
Wasn’t trying to be critical of you, but there are no “leaders” at this point, and I’m sure there will be a long list of interested schools. Just because some recruiting website who wants to be “first” and puts out a story, doesn’t make it so. If you look in the comment section of that story you will also find a staff member’s comment that there has been contact with IU. Seems that would make sense since DeBord and Sheridan have a prior relationship from UT.
Just about every very coach in NCAA D1 had prior relationship with Hunter Johnson.

Some interesting info from Josh on the premium board...

Well, I would expect you to land some of them, I suspect there will be some good in state battles, just hope we can win a few . Our Florida pipeline seems pretty good right now, like to see that continue.
I'll take that Florida/Georgia pipeline any day over Indiana players. Unless Indiana kids "WANT" to be at IU I really don't care. Also, if I am considering Indiana players I would put more stock into MIC players than the rest of the kids especially lineman. Chances are every week you are gonna line up against solid competition in the MIC. According to Max Preps the MIC is one of the top ten football conferences year in year out in the country. Playing BD, Center Grove, Carmel, and Warren? Thats some tough competition...The other conferences???

Just about every very coach in NCAA D1 had prior relationship with Hunter Johnson.
Not every coach got the kid to commit, yes he switched when Clemson came calling, but he likes DeBord and Sheridan very much. That said, it doesn’t mean for 1 second he will come to IU, but they are getting consideration. His family also had a great connection with IU’s new S &C coordinator coach Ballou, as he worked with his brother Cole.

Reactions: 76-1 and IUgradman
HJ would be better under Debord than. Brohm IF we're talking about Michigan VS Purdue. But this is DeBord at IU and he runs a much different system now than then.

For example, would Tom Brady fare better in Debord's running QB IU offense? Probably not. So it's fair to say that system plays a big part in who HJ would fair better under.

BTW, Brohm has a 100% hit rate on QBs in the NFL a a HC. Most recently, both WKU QBs he coached were drafted. He also coached Brian Brohm in Louisville.

If I were HJ, I'd go the the system that best suits me. Personally, I think Northwestern would be a great situation for him. Fitzgerald can probably guarantee him the starting job all three years he's eligible AND he does a pretty good job developing NFL drafted QBs with Kafka and Siemian.
Michigan lined up under center then and ran a pro style offense. So I would expect Debord to adapt with whatever QB he has. Debord has been in a ton of different systems. His experience and knowledge is like an encyclopedia. AND as he stated last year when he took the reins he would try and work with the QB's to the types of plays they like and what they were comfortable with.

That said I have to believe that Allen wants to run the spread and go fast because he has a hard time defending that and believes other D-coordinators will too. I for one bitched because we didnt line up in the "I" with Lagow as QB but Lagow was obviously comfortable with that formation otherwise why not line up under center? The other thing about last year was our OL was not strong enough to run out of the "I". I don't see why they wouldn't consider that with a QB that was comfortable with it in the future.

By next year you could make the superior facilities argument but right now we are behind. The SEZ complex and renovated locker rooms and players’ lounge will even the playing field.

HJ would be better under Debord than. Brohm IF we're talking about Michigan VS Purdue. But this is DeBord at IU and he runs a much different system now than then.

For example, would Tom Brady fare better in Debord's running QB IU offense? Probably not. So it's fair to say that system plays a big part in who HJ would fair better under.

BTW, Brohm has a 100% hit rate on QBs in the NFL a a HC. Most recently, both WKU QBs he coached were drafted. He also coached Brian Brohm in Louisville.

If I were HJ, I'd go the the system that best suits me. Personally, I think Northwestern would be a great situation for him. Fitzgerald can probably guarantee him the starting job all three years he's eligible AND he does a pretty good job developing NFL drafted QBs with Kafka and Siemian.

Good post. Penix is probably the better fit for this IU offense.

Yes, Debord can definitely adapt his system for the QB. But will he have two systems? One for Penix and one for HJ?
HJ went to Clemson. They run the spread so why go there? And no I don't think IU runs the spread and the I. Point is he chose Clemson which is clearly a spread team. AND I don't see why IU couldn't run out of the I in the future. Penix could easily run out of the I the guy has a serious arm.

I'll take that Florida/Georgia pipeline any day over Indiana players. Unless Indiana kids "WANT" to be at IU I really don't care. Also, if I am considering Indiana players I would put more stock into MIC players than the rest of the kids especially lineman. Chances are every week you are gonna line up against solid competition in the MIC. According to Max Preps the MIC is one of the top ten football conferences year in year out in the country. Playing BD, Center Grove, Carmel, and Warren? Thats some tough competition...The other conferences???
You do know every single program claims a Florida “pipeline” right? Just because so many kids come out of there. It’s abiut quality not quantity when recruiting FL or any other state.

Just from taking all things in consideration, I like our chances.

He already knows the two coaches he'd be working with here (he had already committed to them once before Clemson offered).

We have a much more highly rated Communications Program than pu and we have better football facilities (in my opinion).

NW is the tougher competition in my view...
Unfortunately I can assure you we have zero chance here. None. Period. Not my opinion.

You do know every single program claims a Florida “pipeline” right? Just because so many kids come out of there. It’s abiut quality not quantity when recruiting FL or any other state.
I don't understand your point. Its one thing for "Big Schools" to have a Florida pipeline but IU has made headlines in local papers in Florida for grabbing so many kids.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/foot...ng-pipeline-outperforms-state-schools/2310660

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/homet...bad-and-the-quirky-from-national-signing-day/

Heres the other thing...The first article talks about Frey being the reason. Out goes Frey insert CTA with even more relationships down there and the results are even better. 17 Florida kids recruited to IU the past two years. And battles won against major Florida teams! Were about to see the fruits and it could be nasty for opponents.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I can assure you we have zero chance here. None. Period. Not my opinion.
I think your very mistaken. This kid was a solid Tennessee commit before Clemson came knocking. As another poster said he has a great relationship with Debord and Sheridan. IU is in the catbird seat if you ask me. Dawkins will only be here this year as HJ will have to sit out anyways. Don't look now but IU could have a freakin crazy serious QB room!

Reactions: 76-1
I think your very mistaken. This kid was a solid Tennessee commit before Clemson came knocking. As another poster said he has a great relationship with Debord and Sheridan. IU is in the catbird seat if you ask me. Dawkins will only be here this year as HJ will have to sit out anyways. Don't look now but IU could have a freakin crazy serious QB room!
Don’t think we are in the “catbird” seat, but to say we have no shot is also inaccurate.

Again...I’m not guessing and this isn’t my opinion.

I don't understand your point. Its one thing for "Big Schools" to have a Florida pipeline but IU has made headlines in local papers in Florida for grabbing so many kids.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/foot...ng-pipeline-outperforms-state-schools/2310660

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/homet...bad-and-the-quirky-from-national-signing-day/

Heres the other thing...The first article talks about Frey being the reason. Out goes Frey insert CTA with even more relationships down there and the results are even better. 17 Florida kids recruited to IU the past two years. And battles won against major Florida teams! Were about to see the fruits and it could be nasty for opponents.
I agree we have a good “pipeline” from that Tampa Bay area...but that’s just one part of Florida. Other schools have good connections in other major cities. My point is every school recruits FL hard and ends up with a lot of players from there. Most schools are more spread out than one city. It’s not really unique in the big picture.

I have no inside info, but my money would be on Northwestern:

Thorson graduates after this year leaving a pretty empty QB cupboard by all accounts. Should start from day one with little competition.

Older brother Cole was a walkon at NW.

Possibly the most stable coaching situation in the league: Fitz is going nowhere anytime soon.

This post is beyond absurd. Look at this year's class. Consider Tom Allen's Florida connections.

Honestly, what is your agenda in posting here? Is it that you derive some pleasure from being a contrarian? Is it to discredit the program and/or staff? Or is it just a matter of you simply not knowing what you're talking about?

This post is beyond absurd. Look at this year's class. Consider Tom Allen's Florida connections.

Honestly, what is your agenda in posting here? Is it that you derive some pleasure from being a contrarian? Is it to discredit the program and/or staff? Or is it just a matter of you simply not knowing what you're talking about?
It’s to be realistic, follow the program that I was a season ticket holder of for several decades, and to get differing views on things. Being a fan doesn’t mean you have to be unrealistic about things imo.

I agree we have a good “pipeline” from that Tampa Bay area...but that’s just one part of Florida. Other schools have good connections in other major cities. My point is every school recruits FL hard and ends up with a lot of players from there. Most schools are more spread out than one city. It’s not really unique in the big picture.
“Every school recruits FL hard and ends up with a lot of players from there.” Really ? In the last 2 classes CTA has signed 17 Florida kids, PU 8, MSU 3, UM 5, OSU 9, Rutgers 2, Maryland 4 and PSU 3. Just a sample size of our rival and division opponents, but it looks like our current “pipeline” is wider than others. Obviously , it still remains to be seen how those players turn out, no one knows the answer to that question yet.

“Every school recruits FL hard and ends up with a lot of players from there.” Really ? In the last 2 classes CTA has signed 17 Florida kids, PU 8, MSU 3, UM 5, OSU 9, Rutgers 2, Maryland 4 and PSU 3. Just a sample size of our rival and division opponents, but it looks like our current “pipeline” is wider than others. Obviously , it still remains to be seen how those players turn out, no one knows the answer to that question yet.

I was basically going to post the same thing. He just spews crap and calls it fact. So easy to do a little googling and be able to expose it.

Danny Hope had a pretty solid FL pipeline. It’s good to have one but still have to get a good amount of Midwest kids imo.

Danny Hope had a pretty solid FL pipeline. It’s good to have one but still have to get a good amount of Midwest kids imo.
And we will, but as CTA said, you have to get kids who “want” to be at IU, so you go wherever is necessary.

Thanks for showing that it was my next post too. Also, while Tampa is one area we have recruited from Miami, Jacksonville, Orlando and other East Coast area's in Florida. Nobody has a better pipe coming in especially with the level of success we have had? What CTA is doing down there is sick!

And the reason he is doing it he already made clear...It spells speed, speed, speed and tons of trouble for many league foes and soon!

Last edited:

Think your self-proclaimed role is to rile up this board for those who will bite. Not sure otherwise why you post so often with such negativity. (That doesn't mean I or others saying IU is at same level as OSU either!)

Per HJ, I'm not saying "IU is for sure in the lead" for him, but the only two groups that would or could give you that kind of definitive of information are either A) Hunter himself or his family or B) The IU HC / OC / QB coach. I seriously doubt those are your sources. Would you like to say otherwise to that?

Think your self-proclaimed role is to rile up this board for those who will bite. Not sure otherwise why you post so often with such negativity. (That doesn't mean I or others saying IU is at same level as OSU either!)

Per HJ, I'm not saying "IU is for sure in the lead" for him, but the only two groups that would or could give you that kind of definitive of information are either A) Hunter himself or his family or B) The IU HC / OC / QB coach. I seriously doubt those are your sources. Would you like to say otherwise to that?
He knows a guy who knows a guy . . . Yeah, right.

According to Johnsy, the same poster also previously guaranteed Billy Donovan was the successor to Crean. Sounds like fpeaugh has some serious credibility issues.

Reactions: iuhoosierstildeath

All I’ll say is it’s 100% reliable info and it’s not a prediction or a guess. You will see when more info comes out I guess. I was just sharing what I know.

It is completely your opinion, just like the doozy that Billy Donovan was “happening”, 100%, lol.
I announced that Crean was being let go the night before it was public, and also shared that Archie was going to be announced as the head coach and even shared the time of the press conference the night before (Friday). This at the same time as every IU writer was either silent or saying wait until Monday at the earliest.

Believe me or not, but I do have several friends close to the athletic department and university. I’m no longer close to it myself (too many other distractions) but I do hear things every once in awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT