ADVERTISEMENT

Hummingbirds!

kkott

Hall of Famer
Oct 26, 2001
Anyone else getting ready to put their feeders back out? I actually kept one out all winter, as I've read about a few hummers staying over the winter in SC, but never did get any winter time visitors. But, watching the migration map, there are starting to be a few sightings in my area around Charlotte, NC. I'm going to refill the 1 feeder I have out and put a couple others up this week too. Generally I don't see the first bird until around Master's week, but I'm hoping I'll get one of the early arrivers to come by.

Hummingbird Migration Map

Reactions: hookyIU1990
We'll put out a feeder sometime during the first week of April when it starts getting hit, we'll put out another.

I've got the solar pump to do the fountain like you did. Need to get the rest of it assembled.

Reactions: kkott
We'll put out a feeder sometime during the first week of April when it starts getting hit, we'll put out another.

I've got the solar pump to do the fountain like you did. Need to get the rest of it assembled.
I liked the fountain, but I was disappointed as I never actually saw a bird use it. I liked how it looked and sounded, but I thought birds would use it a lot and I never actually saw one in it (I did feel like I scared one out of it a couple times). I may have to repaint it too, because it looks like the concrete sort of bleached through the paint. I'm going to get it set up again, but that was a disappoint to me, but I want to try it again for a full season. Let me know your experience.

It's weird sometimes how things change. I had a gold finch feeder out for about a year and a half and it rarely got visited. Then starting last January they started mobbing it. At times I'd have 6 birds on it at each of the feeding posts and a couple others waiting, then we had to take them down because of that bird disease and ever since I put it back up, hardly any visitors again, but I keep refilling it. I also added a 2nd bluebird box in the back of my house because I think they stay away from the front because it's fairly busy with cars, but I haven't seen anything use it yet.

Last edited:
I liked the fountain, but I was disappointed as I never actually saw a bird use it. I liked how it looked and sounded, but I thought birds would use it a lot and I never actually saw one in it (I did feel like I scared one out of it a couple times). I may have to repaint it too, because it looks like the concrete sort of bleached through the paint. I'm going to get it set up again, but that was a disappoint to me, but I want to try it again for a full season. Let me know your experience.

It's weird sometimes how things change. I had a gold finch feeder out for about a year and a half and it rarely got visited. Then starting last January they started mobbing it. At times I'd have 6 birds on it at each of the feeding posts and a couple others waiting, then we had to take them down because of that bird disease and ever since I put it back up, hardly any visitors again, but I keep refilling it. I also added a 2nd bluebird box in the back of my house because I think they stay away from the front because it's fairly busy with cars, but I haven't seen anything use it yet.

Anyone else getting ready to put their feeders back out? I actually kept one out all winter, as I've read about a few hummers staying over the winter in SC, but never did get any winter time visitors. But, watching the migration map, there are starting to be a few sightings in my area around Charlotte, NC. I'm going to refill the 1 feeder I have out and put a couple others up this week too. Generally I don't see the first bird until around Master's week, but I'm hoping I'll get one of the early arrivers to come by.

We put ours out the last week of April. My wife has kept track for several years when the first ones show. I’m trying to figure out how to post a video from August’20 and a pic from last year about the same time. We went from 28 feeders to two. Hopefully they’ll come back this year but who knows.

We put ours out the last week of April. My wife has kept track for several years when the first ones show. I’m trying to figure out how to post a video from August’20 and a pic from last year about the same time. We went from 28 feeders to two. Hopefully they’ll come back this year but who knows.
Looking at the map I linked, nothing north of TN in your area, but there have already been a handful of sightings down here, so I put mine out last night. I don't know the exact date, but I'm certain I saw one in mid to late March last year. The first week of April, is my normal first sighting, but I'm hoping to attract some of the early arrivals. I'll keep you posted.

I too love to see the birds coming back. Also the squirrels and chipmunks start coming out when the weather is warmer. Spring is just around the corner!
My first cousin on my Dad's side of the family lives near Charlotte. If you ever meet him say howdy for me. He used to be an airline pilot until he fell down some stairs at the airport. He got a big settlement so though he couldn't be a pilot anymore because of permanent injuries he was able to get by alright.

I too love to see the birds coming back. Also the squirrels and chipmunks start coming out when the weather is warmer. Spring is just around the corner!
My first cousin on my Dad's side of the family lives near Charlotte. If you ever meet him say howdy for me. He used to be an airline pilot until he fell down some stairs at the airport. He got a big settlement so though he couldn't be a pilot anymore because of permanent injuries he was able to get by alright.
Sorry but chipmunks? Trap them or shoot them. They can literally over time mess up your home’s foundation by continually burrowing underneath it. Or underneath your patio if you have one. They are cute but can be very destructive just the same.

Sorry but chipmunks? Trap them or shoot them. They can literally over time mess up your home’s foundation by continually burrowing underneath it. Or underneath your patio if you have one. They are cute but can be very destructive just the same.
We live in a parsonage and behind us is a huge hill. The chipmunks live there. I know what you mean. When we lived in Illinois we had a problem with them. When my youngest son got his first b b gun for Christmas he got his hunting clothes on and went outside to practice. Later on He shot one of the chipmunks straight in the mouth killing it. My two daughters were upset with him, but I told him he did good.

check the map... starting to be some sightings up north into the South Indy area, all in the last few days! Get your feeders out if you want a chance at spotting one early!

I've had my feeders out for over a week and refreshed my nectar Saturday morning. I have a routine I replace the first two, put them out and then do the other two. While I was finishing the last 2, I looked up and a male was already feeding at one I'd just changed. Amazing to me how they know when there is new nectar, but they do! Smell? That's some sense of smell! Anyway, saw another Saturday afternoon and about 4 yesterday. Most seem to be passing through and still migrating north but I thought one yesterday returned again, so hoping to have a "regular" stick around. I was also looking for a flowering plant that would also attract hummers, and bought Fuchsia at Home Depot, which says it attracts hummers. Bought them on a whim and put them out Sunday, but now in reading, sounds like might be a challenge to keep in my area due to heat. I also saw another goldfinch at my finch feeder Saturday, so hoping I'll get them coming back.

Hooky, I put my fountain back out too. I was really happy with how it handled winter storage and it looks good and fired right up. I'm using a plug in pump though, not solar. Anyway, I had a dove land on it and drink from it Saturday, so I'm hopeful that with having it out the entire season, it will attract birds and hummers! The last bird news is I always like attracting bluebirds. I saw them scouting my box earlier this year a couple times, but some Chikadees beat them to the punch. Not what I wanted, but I like them too. Pretty happy with how my bird efforts look at this point.

PS, I also switched my regular bird feed to safflower to discourage squirrels and starlings. I've been told the seed pod is too hard for them to eat, and it's worked. No squirrels or starlings, but the finches, cardinals, doves, chikadees, etc... all like it (essentially all the birds I like). I've even seen bluebirds eating it at my sisters house, although I've yet to see that on my feeder.

my rule is: once animals start f'ing w my house or property, they get Jimmy Hoffa'd. My family starting call me the Dr Mengele of the chipmunk and squirrel population in our old neighborhood.

Put a hummingbird feeder up on Friday before I left for the week. Wifey says no action yet, but we have bluebirds eating at that feeder. First time ever for that.

Put a hummingbird feeder up on Friday before I left for the week. Wifey says no action yet, but we have bluebirds eating at that feeder. First time ever for that.
Weird, I assumed your wife saw lots of action while you were at work!

Bluebird at the Hbird feeder? Never seen that either. Finches will often try and drink from the ant trap moat if I have water in them. I've never had bluebirds at my regular birdfeeder, but I've seen bluebirds eat the safflower at my sister's feeders several times.

Sorry, at the bluebird feeder, not the hummingbird feeder. Mealworm suet and sunflower hearts in a fly through platform feeder.

Sorry, at the bluebird feeder, not the hummingbird feeder. Mealworm suet and sunflower hearts in a fly through platform feeder.
If you want to attract bluebirds, dried mealworms and some live meal worms are the ticket! Live meal worms are to bluebirds what bacon is to humans!

Never tried the suet, what else does it draw besides bluebirds?

If you want to attract bluebirds, dried mealworms and some live meal worms are the ticket! Live meal worms are to bluebirds what bacon is to humans!

Never tried the suet, what else does it draw besides bluebirds?
Everything eats the suet. Cardinals, Bluejays, Finches and woodpeckers all get on it, but starlings and sparrows will too.

We live in a parsonage and behind us is a huge hill. The chipmunks live there. I know what you mean. When we lived in Illinois we had a problem with them. When my youngest son got his first b b gun for Christmas he got his hunting clothes on and went outside to practice. Later on He shot one of the chipmunks straight in the mouth killing it. My two daughters were upset with him, but I told him he did good.

I use a .22 rifle to kill them, or traps, but I ran out of of regular bullets so I put some hollow points in. So one day I shot one and my wife was admiring a flower, she thought, from a distance that she didn’t recognize. When she got closer she figured out that the flower was decorated with pieces and parts from the chipmunk. I thought it was funny but someone else didn’t.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT