ADVERTISEMENT

How many wins this year?

11 counting the Bowl game, so that would be 11-2 overall:D

We should be in all of them. Running the table throughout the Big Ten is too much to ask from this OL coupled with a new staff. If we can find a replacement for Oliver at ILB I like our chances on Defense. They should keep the opponents score within striking distance. If we can just limit our giveaways on Offense and find some guys who can pass protect we should have a shot at everyone we play.

Reactions: MrBing and ESalum86
Ohio State, Penn State and Wisconsin will be really tough, but I think we'll go 7-2 in the remaining games.

Vegas has us opening at 5.5. Last year had us briefly at 5 then at 5.5.
5-7 or 6-6. Too many question marks this year to do much better unless everything breaks perfectly. 2018 will be a much better shot at the breakthrough Allen wants.

5-7 or 6-6. Too many question marks this year to do much better unless everything breaks perfectly. 2018 will be a much better shot at the breakthrough Allen wants.
Not sure I agree, as we'll be losing much defensive talent after this season including Scales, Simmons, Covington, Gooch, Hoff, McCray, Fant, Dutra and Fields.

According to the S&P rankings IU will lose 5 games which would give them 7 wins going into the bowl game. I think Coach Allen will have a bigger impact on this team's success this year and expect IU to pull off some close wins against the 5 teams Bill Connelly has rated better than IU givng IU 9 wins. Running the table against all the top teams isn't likely but beating two teams out of OSU, PSU, UM, Wisconsin, and NU is possible. If IU steps up and pulls off a win against OSU then the field is wide open for how many games IU could win.

My biggest concern about this season is how the OL comes together. I believe coach Hiller will get everything out of them he can but we have 2 maybe 3 new starters with no seniors and that makes it tough to be good. The OL has size and talent so they may overcome the inexperience plus they have three players with a good amount of experience to build upon. I feel better about our QB situation because our back up{s} will be ready to play if Lagow falters. I sure hope the coaches don't hold on too long on replacing Lagow if he doesn't greatly reduce the turnovers. The offense would be better of with Lagow at QB if he can get turnovers down to 8 or under [ints and fumbles]; but Ramsey can be a solid QB that gets the ball into our talented receivers hands letting them gain yards after the catch instead of catching bombs to get big yards.

Best case scenario is a team that has learned to win the close games our team lost the past 2 years. Imagine those seasons with 2 or 3 wins instead of close losses and that is what this team could be in 2017.

It's a very interesting question because IU normally has a defense that struggles to contain the opposing offense. This year's team doesn't have that problem. It's hard to say how many wins this group will come up with.

With a solid defense, you're generally in every game with chances to win in the 4th quarter. I think 6-7 wins should be expected. If IU opens with an upset of OSU, they could easily go on a big winning streak and the sky's the limit!!!

Vegas has us opening at 5.5. Last year had us briefly at 5 then at 5.5.
Our schedule is brutal this season, so I still think that we are in the 5 to 7 win category. If we can somehow loosen that schedule up a bit pre season and get 4 sure fire wins, that is when you will see us jump into that 7 to 8 win category every season. Just too many question marks at OL, QB, and DL for me to say we are a 6 to 8 win team. I certainly hope they win that many, but until I can see these kids play and see what we really have, then I'm sticking with the 5 to 7 prediction.

Our schedule is brutal this season, so I still think that we are in the 5 to 7 win category. If we can somehow loosen that schedule up a bit pre season and get 4 sure fire wins, that is when you will see us jump into that 7 to 8 win category every season. Just too many question marks at OL, QB, and DL for me to say we are a 6 to 8 win team. I certainly hope they win that many, but until I can see these kids play and see what we really have, then I'm sticking with the 5 to 7 prediction.
We don't play 4 non-conference games anymore.

Many of you guys got your wish, IU now plays a ridiculous schedule. I've read on here for YEARS about the desire for IU football to play a tough schedule and have just "one cupcake". I hope you're happy with these types of schedules because it's set now.

As I've preached before, recruiting MUST get noticeably better with this schedule. That's the part most of you pining for a NFL schedule forgot to assess.

Reactions: 76-1
Many of you guys got your wish, IU now plays a ridiculous schedule. I've read on here for YEARS about the desire for IU football to play a tough schedule and have just "one cupcake". I hope you're happy with these types of schedules because it's set now.

As I've preached before, recruiting MUST get noticeably better with this schedule. That's the part most of you pining for a NFL schedule forgot to assess.
The big difference is that we play nine conference games now. The nonconference games are Florida International, Georgia Southern, and Virginia (who was 2-10). It's not like we set up some brutal schedule to destroy ourselves.

I'm going with 7 regular season, but I can see anywhere from 4 to 8. CTA is a big question mark as a HC to me. I think he'll do well but will have a learning curve. Wilson was a much more heralded coach who swaggered in and got his ass handed to him, but the program has improved so much that I don't see that happening with CTA. Only question is will we continue to be a tough out or actually break through?

Reactions: iuhoosierstildeath
Easy non conference schedule gets us 3 wins and a 3 and 6 conference schedule gets us 6 and a bowl

Not sure what's "ridiculous" about the schedule. It will always be challenging because we play in the BIg Ten. We play Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Maryland and Rutgers every year because we were placed in the same division with those schools. We play Purdue every year and two other teams from the West. This year that's Wisconsin and Illinois. Wisconsin has been our worst conference match-up over the last 15-16 years, but Purdue and Illinois are the weakest teams in the West. Virginia, FIU and Georgia Southern is not exactly a murderers' row.

If you think our schedule is rough, check out Rutgers' and Maryland's.

The big difference is that we play nine conference games now. The nonconference games are Florida International, Georgia Southern, and Virginia (who was 2-10). It's not like we set up some brutal schedule to destroy ourselves.

Georgia Southen always gives an SEC team trouble every year. UVA has a new coach and is expected to be much improved this year. Florida International was up on us going into the 4th quarter this past year..

Yeah its not "brutal" as some have said.. But that is a solid schedule for IU football.

Georgia Southen always gives an SEC team trouble every year. UVA has a new coach and is expected to be much improved this year. Florida International was up on us going into the 4th quarter this past year..

Yeah its not "brutal" as some have said.. But that is a solid schedule for IU football.
Totally agree. I just mean our 3 non conference games are games that we should win if we want to keep progressing as we should.

Totally agree. I just mean our 3 non conference games are games that we should win if we want to keep progressing as we should.

I agree.

Also I like that we are adding Louisville in the coming years.. As much as I hate everything about that school and the way they run there programs that's the success we should aspire to have. We're never going to be UM OSU BAMA UF USC OU UT... But I will never agree or understand why IU football couldn't have the success that the recent Louisville teams have had.

Fun schedule.

I've been very satisfied with the program the last 2 years. The staff has brought a ton of athleticism into the program. We're not getting bullied by Michigan anymore, instead we're taking them to 2 OTs.

I don't have high expectations this year considering the coaching change and the step back our offense took last year. A 6 win season and a bowl game would satisfy me.

Reactions: RBB89
It's impossible to make a prediction for a team headed by a first year head coach.

And because of that the season could go anywhere from 2 wins to 7 or 8 wins. I suspect we'll see at least 5 . . . anything more than that will be gravy, quite frankly, especially with entirely new coordinators and a big ? at QB.

And because of that the season could go anywhere from 2 wins to 7 or 8 wins. I suspect we'll see at least 5 . . . anything more than that will be gravy, quite frankly, especially with entirely new coordinators and a big ? at QB.
Technically, Allen is still the defensive coordinator. That's his baby. And I don't see any way Lagow doesn't start the season at QB, although I really like Ramsey.

Technically, Allen is still the defensive coordinator. That's his baby. And I don't see any way Lagow doesn't start the season at QB, although I really like Ramsey.

You know what you've got when you're serving as your own lawyer?

You know what you've got when you're serving as your own lawyer?
??? It's not that unusual for a head coach to call the plays for either his offense or his defense. That's why he wanted an experienced offensive coordinator, so he can trust him to run the show over there. Also, this has been known for months. Besides, who do you want calling the defense? The guy's essentially a miracle worker on that side of the ball, and is the only one that's been able to do anything with our D for the past two decades.

Reactions: Indiana66
??? It's not that unusual for a head coach to call the plays for either his offense or his defense. That's why he wanted an experienced offensive coordinator, so he can trust him to run the show over there. Also, this has been known for months. Besides, who do you want calling the defense? The guy's essentially a miracle worker on that side of the ball, and is the only one that's been able to do anything with our D for the past two decades.
Wasn't Kevin Wilson lauded in the same way, except for the offense? And weren't all of the defensive coordinators supposed to be good enough to fix the D?

Wasn't Kevin Wilson lauded in the same way, except for the offense? And weren't all of the defensive coordinators supposed to be good enough to fix the D?
The situations aren't, in my opinion, very similar. First, Wilson didn't inherit a horrifically bad, almost worst-in-the-country offense. Second, the guy now calling the shots on offense is a proven, highly successful OC. Under Wilson, we never had that on defense.

I'm sure the expectations were high with the various DCs over the last six years, but none of them were able to turn the corner and get it done - - until Allen came along. I, for one, am thrilled that he's going to continue to run the defense, with the offense in the experienced, capable hands of Mike DeBord.

The situations aren't, in my opinion, very similar. First, Wilson didn't inherit a horrifically bad, almost worst-in-the-country offense. Second, the guy now calling the shots on offense is a proven, highly successful OC. Under Wilson, we never had that on defense.

I'm sure the expectations were high with the various DCs over the last six years, but none of them were able to turn the corner and get it done - - until Allen came along. I, for one, am thrilled that he's going to continue to run the defense, with the offense in the experienced, capable hands of Mike DeBord.
Wilson inherited a horrifically bad, worst in the conference and one of the worst in the power 5 conference, roster. His task was much tougher than Allen's. I like coach DeBord bit other than wide receiver, IUs offense is near the bottom of the big ten on talent.

Wilson inherited a horrifically bad, worst in the conference and one of the worst in the power 5 conference, roster. His task was much tougher than Allen's. I like coach DeBord bit other than wide receiver, IUs offense is near the bottom of the big ten on talent.

I explained why I believe the situations are different. I never claimed that Allen - - as HC - - has a tougher overall job than Wilson had. I could say more but I sense there’s little point because, as someone else suggested in another thread, it looks like you’re the latest version of Fredricka James, Bobsnotbucks, The Spa, Kern County, Helen Dell, etc., etc.

I explained why I believe the situations are different. I never claimed that Allen - - as HC - - has a tougher overall job than Wilson had. I could say more but I sense there’s little point because, as someone else suggested in another thread, it looks like you’re the latest version of Fredricka James, Bobsnotbucks, The Spa, Kern County, Helen Dell, etc., etc.
It's amazing how a "newcomer" shows up immediately after Bobsnotbucks (account no longer exists) disappears. Hmmm...

No, I'm not some other poster, I just have a differing opinion than you, especially since you didn't support your argument with anything. Easy to just put you on ignore if you can't talk football.

It's amazing how a "newcomer" shows up immediately after Bobsnotbucks (account no longer exists) disappears. Hmmm...
Will just put you on ignore since you've already shown that you don't have any ability to talk football. No wonder this place is so dead if the posters are like you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT