ADVERTISEMENT

How many of silent 7 commits…

How many of our silent 7 portal commits are from JMU?

Votes: 17 33.3%

Votes: 3 5.9%

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • 4 or less

Votes: 20 39.2%

• Total voters
Is their OL Tyler Stephens good? He's big. 6-5, 300 . Started all 12 games their site says and at 3 spots. Seems like we still could use ready to go lineman. Also a versatile one who knows the offense seems pretty nice.
With some more time in the weight room he "might" turn out to be a serviceable backup at C or G... (he needs to get a Lot better in a short amount of time).

He was playing out of position last night (their starting LT was injured) and he was embarrassed by a good DE... He doesn't have a future at LT outside the Sun Belt, that's for certain...

Agreed, voted 5 as well. Having this number of players following him will hopefully help to spread his message to the players. Hopefully, all the JMU transfers are starting January. will be a transition from current IUFB players and the incoming crew to build relationships.

No Seratt. Coach C is looking for a speed WR to stretch the defense.
Saratt is fast enough, more importantly he actually catches the ball when it's thrown to him...

Supposedly, Sarratt runs the same average for three consecutive 40's that our All American kick Returner does (4.50), per one of those pro scout sites... Here's hoping we still get him...

If that's the case he's good but is he physical enough to get open in the Big Ten...

He looked Really good last night but the question there is: how's Air Forces secondary stack up against a Big Ten secondary ?

I'd want to rewatch the Appalachian State game and see how he did before we throw big money at him (vs someone else still in the Portal)... Then it comes down to: Can we actually get someone else? Can they hang onto the ball as well as he does?

Seven experienced players that C3 knows and trusts.

Starters or depth. Proven guys at least at the SB level

I agree... At the worst CCC knows he's getting proven depth. He has no need to teach them his playbook or culture... they know what he expects on and off the field and the JMU transfers will show the returning players exactly how things are to be done... A smart way to get his program rolling.

If that's the case he's good but is he physical enough to get open in the Big Ten...

He looked Really good last night but the question there is: how's Air Forces secondary stack up against a Big Ten secondary ?

I'd want to rewatch the Appalachian State game and see how he did before we throw big money at him (vs someone else still in the Portal)... Then it comes down to: Can we actually get someone else? Can they hang onto the ball as well as he does?
Based on a December 3rd strength of schedule survey Air Force had the third weakest schedule in big boy football - ranked 129 of 133 teams. James Madison was ranked 96. And Indiana was ranked 22.

I imagine that if Indiana and James Madison had played this year Indiana might have been favored.

Last edited:
Based on a December 3rd strength of schedule survey Air Force had the third weakest schedule in big boy football - ranked $129 of 133 teams. James Madison was ranked 96. In Indiana was ranked 22.

I imagine that if Indiana and James Madison had played this year Indiana might have been favored.

They would have beat IU by 2 touchdowns….just based on discipline and play calling alone.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Not really fair. They lost their coaching staff before the bowl game and how many starters skipped the bowl? Of those that remained, how many were focused on the game when they were committed elsewhere?
Look... I don't want to dump on those guys anymore than I have but I know what I saw and that wasn't their being out schemed by the option or even their staff being out coached; it was their being totally pushed around on the inside by a team that was coming off of 4 straight losses...

The fact of the matter is that if we're counting on the JMU talent to come in here and win Big Ten games for us we're in for a major disappointment...

Best we can hope for is that they push the back ups to work harder... There's maybe two or three guys in that crowd that have the talent to get into the rotation to play in the Big Ten...

If they were the "winners" they've been made out to be prior to their Bowl game they never would have allowed themselves to get pushed around on the inside for 4 quarters against an Academy team... Color me unimpressed...

Based on what I saw last night I'm fairly certain the reverse would have been true...
At this point it's all speculation. Let's let the guy coach a few games before we come to any conclusions. But for the record I personally don't think a Tom allen coached team would have any chance beating a coach Cignetti coached team.

Look... I don't want to dump on those guys anymore than I have but I know what I saw and that wasn't their being out schemed by the option or even their staff being out coached; it was their being totally pushed around on the inside by a team that was coming off of 4 straight losses...

The fact of the matter is that if we're counting on the JMU talent to come in here and win Big Ten games for us we're in for a major disappointment...

Best we can hope for is that they push the back ups to work harder... There's maybe two or three guys in that crowd that have the talent to get into the rotation to play in the Big Ten...

If they were the "winners" they've been made out to be prior to their Bowl game they never would have allowed themselves to get pushed around on the inside for 4 quarters against an Academy team... Color me unimpressed...
Nonsense

Just the negativity C3 has been talking about from both players and fans.
GoHoosiers

I have always been a fan of academy teams, particularly Air Force, and the Falcons can hang in there against most teams unless the size factor in the lines works against them. Air Force has beaten ND six times, and it could have been a few more that were close losses. I was in attendance for two of those games where they easily beat the Irish. So I'm not going to dump on any of the teams that Air Force defeated, especially since the four game losing streak was because of the starting QB being injured.

Our coach took the 10 best players from JMU. We still have some of our best players. We have the QB Cig wanted and 3 receivers he targeted. Quit acting like we are taking the entire JMU team. We lost 4 games by less then 10 points with below average QB play.

We’re returning a decent amount of IU guys. We’ve gotten some P5 transfers. Our QB is a decorated MAC player.

All the JMU guys will provide depth, and they’ll be good ambassadors for how Cig wants his program to run.

If we have 8-10 guys in our 2 deep that were starters for a low major FBS team that just went 11-1… well, there could be a lot worse things.

We’re returning a decent amount of IU guys. We’ve gotten some P5 transfers. Our QB is a decorated MAC player.

All the JMU guys will provide depth, and they’ll be good ambassadors for how Cig wants his program to run.

If we have 8-10 guys in our 2 deep that were starters for a low major FBS team that just went 11-1… well, there could be a lot worse things.
Nearly every player Cig has taken from the portal is a one year rental, which means he’s in win now mode. I love that. Give me the 23-24 year old who has played in 40+ games at whatever level over the 19 year old redshirt freshman from Bama or Georgia who was 3rd or 4th string on the depth chart.

I have always been a fan of academy teams, particularly Air Force, and the Falcons can hang in there against most teams unless the size factor in the lines works against them. Air Force has beaten ND six times, and it could have been a few more that were close losses. I was in attendance for two of those games where they easily beat the Irish. So I'm not going to dump on any of the teams that Air Force defeated, especially since the four game losing streak was because of the starting QB being injured.
Outside the two CFB playoff games and maybe one or two NY6 games, the results of 95% of these bowl games should be taken with a significant grain of salt once you factor in opt outs and coaching changes.

Cignetti's best piece of recruiting IMO, was keeping McCulley, getting Wedig from Wisconsin and of course signing 4* qb, Tyler Cherry from Indy. Those are significant.

I'm a bit skeptical about all of these JMU transfers. To be honest, if we get decent mileage out of maybe 3 of them, I'd be happy. Hopefully I'm wrong and they are all doubles and triples!

Next year is when you'll quickly figure out if he's a good recruiter. He will have had the time and effort in place to sign who he really likes/wants. When you've got 4 million in NIL $$$, I would think even a cruddy recruiter suddenly becomes formidable!

Cignetti's best piece of recruiting IMO, was keeping McCulley, getting Wedig from Wisconsin and of course signing 4* qb, Tyler Cherry from Indy. Those are significant.

I'm a bit skeptical about all of these JMU transfers. To be honest, if we get decent mileage out of maybe 3 of them, I'd be happy. Hopefully I'm wrong and they are all doubles and triples!

Next year is when you'll quickly figure out if he's a good recruiter. He will have had the time and effort in place to sign who he really likes/wants. When you've got 4 million in NIL $$$, I would think even a cruddy recruiter suddenly becomes formidable!
The QB from Ohio is the key. Gives us a chance next year. He and the receivers are legit. The JMU players will build overall competition and toughness. Watch Rourke's tape. Maybe now some yards after catch instead of 6'5 McCulley having to jump 3 feet just to catch a pass.

I think some are getting worked up over the JMU transfers a bit prematurely.
There is no guarantee they will be getting significant playing time.
I look at it as more of a depth thing,CC doesn’t seem like the type that would guarantee playing time.
Pretty sure Tom Allen did that (Bazelak) and it cost him.
I also wouldn’t put much stock in their Bowl Game performance,they had a lot of distractions and uncertainties going on leading up to that game.

I think some are getting worked up over the JMU transfers a bit prematurely.
There is no guarantee they will be getting significant playing time.
I look at it as more of a depth thing,CC doesn’t seem like the type that would guarantee playing time.
Pretty sure Tom Allen did that (Bazelak) and it cost him.
I also wouldn’t put much stock in their Bowl Game performance,they had a lot of distractions and uncertainties going on leading up to that game.
I agree with everything you are saying. I just hope they can earn playing time since they are making the move. I guess their NIL will be better, the University degree has more of a pedigree, etc., but going from big fish in a small pond to possibly small fish in a big pond can mess with a person a bit. I am sure there will be some growing pains this year.

I agree... At the worst CCC knows he's getting proven depth. He has no need to teach them his playbook or culture... they know what he expects on and off the field and the JMU transfers will show the returning players exactly how things are to be done... A smart way to get his program rolling.
Agreed. If nothing else, they'll bring a winning culture to the other players.

I've got to wonder if they were playing not to get hurt and ruin their chances in the Portal?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT