ADVERTISEMENT

How long does uncooked chicken last in the frig?

One of the things no one prepares you for at 18 is cooking for the rest of your life. I had to take a 2 week crossover to industrial arts which was mandantory in 8th grade . I learned a lot of things I still remember . Curl your fingers when chopping with a knife so you cant cut the end of a finger off. I am amazed at the amount of pro athletes with kitchen injuries over the years. If I drop a sharp knife off the table I jump immediately, You might still get a cut but you don't get nailed to the floor with a knife point in your foot. Baking I don't even attempt. Spaghetti is pretty easy as well. My biggest advise is good ingredients , common sense and lots of cheese. Really if you put in good stuff a crockpot is hard to mess up . A pork roast or tenderloin you can eat that way. I put full potatoes half way done . You can do pulled pork sandwich with BBQ sauce of choice.
what the hell kind of knife do you use a machete? And why would you jump? I'd be scared I would land on the knife, and I only have about a 3-inch vertical anymore

what the hell kind of knife do you use a machete? And why would you jump? I'd be scared I would land on the knife, and I only have about a 3-inch vertical anymore
I usually avoid you.

So if you have a sharp point knife with an even 3 inch blade and it nails you like a spear flat foot it is going in. If you are off the floor and jumping back it may puncture skin but not going through. Ever step on a nail in a board and have it come clear through?

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
I usually avoid you.

So if you have a sharp point knife with an even 3 inch blade and it nails you like a spear flat foot it is going in. If you are off the floor and jumping back it may puncture skin but not going through. Ever step on a nail in a board and have it come clear through?
why do you avoid me? I'm sure you're going to call me an idiot or worse but I'll
ask anyway

I've stepped on nails as a child thank God never had one go all the through my foot sounds horrible

to me jumping would put you in bigger risk of getting speared like the nail through the foot, you drop a knife an immediately jump pretty good chance you come down on the knife with your full body weight, unless you're like the matrix

why do you avoid me? I'm sure you're going to call me an idiot or worse but I'll
ask anyway

I've stepped on nails as a child thank God never had one go all the through my foot sounds horrible

to me jumping would put you in bigger risk of getting speared like the nail through the foot, you drop a knife an immediately jump pretty good chance you come down on the knife with your full body weight, unless you're like the matrix
I am sorry , you and Hickory nut come up with the same green circle and I didnt look closely. Apologies . I stepped on a nail at my place and a friend was here he was laughing . I had Redwing on but the sole grabbed the nail and I couldnt get it out by just stepping off. Asshole finally pulled it out . The idea with a knife and I'm not talking showing off a big verticle is avoid the blade get your feet in the air and back from the blade. Its always worked for me. I havent seen recently but I remember a time when it seemed like a cpl NFL players a yr would go on DL due to kitchen accident. . Its much more likely to glance of fin mid air vs flat foot on the floor. It's my take and has worked. Your mileage may vary.

I am sorry , you and Hickory nut come up with the same green circle and I didnt look closely. Apologies . I stepped on a nail at my place and a friend was here he was laughing . I had Redwing on but the sole grabbed the nail and I couldnt get it out by just stepping off. Asshole finally pulled it out . The idea with a knife and I'm not talking showing off a big verticle is avoid the blade get your feet in the air and back from the blade. Its always worked for me. I havent seen recently but I remember a time when it seemed like a cpl NFL players a yr would go on DL due to kitchen accident. . Its much more likely to glance of fin mid air vs flat foot on the floor. It's my take and has worked. Your mileage may vary.
fair enough, my wife once worked in the e.r. told me it's amazing the amount of severe injuries she saw from people falling down stairs. sometimes when I'm drinking, she puts up one of those child safety gates

• Wow
Reactions: Crayfish57
Redwing ha. I love how brands stick like that

I can’t make anything. I’ve never really been single until now. Kids have to have dinners so I need to figure something out. Can’t eat out or order every meal
Try one of those services like Blue Apron or Hello Fresh. I've heard lots of good things about them.

I can’t make anything. I’ve never really been single until now. Kids have to have dinners so I need to figure something out. Can’t eat out or order every meal
All of it. Money isn’t the issue. It sort of becomes weird eating out so much when you have kids. Not sure it’s best. The Starbucks lady hugs her in the morning and makes her drink/food order outside of the line. Might not be a great thing
If money isn't an issue, hire a housekeeper who cooks. But NOT YOUNG AND HOT!

A compromise is buying pre-made meals/food from the grocery store. Whole Foods is good for that (although expensive); Costco has some good options; not sure your local supermarket in St. Louis. They are just heat and serve. A rotisserie chicken from anywhere can last you a few meals.

If you have a grill (and you're a man, it's required), make hamburgers, hot dogs, and steaks. Hard to screw that up.

Or can buy this book that my parents gave me when I moved into an apartment at IU for the first time:

Cooking is fun once you get the hang of it.

A compromise is buying pre-made meals/food from the grocery store. Whole Foods is good for that (although expensive); Costco has some good options; not sure your local supermarket in St. Louis. They are just heat and serve. A rotisserie chicken from anywhere can last you a few meals.

If you have a grill (and you're a man, it's required), make hamburgers, hot dogs, and steaks. Hard to screw that up.

Or can buy this book that my parents gave me when I moved into an apartment at IU for the first time:

Good advice. Thanks. And yup Whole Foods is right down the street

I wont go with cooking is but better than cleanup. Eating good food is , You can cook a lot of easy stuff that may not be 5 star but pretty good. Stir frys are another easy one. Boil in bag rice, chop some roundsteak and brown, can of la Choy canned veggies maybe water chestnuts and extra sprouts add fresh onions, peppers celery and can of mushrooms to it and another one good for warm ups

Reactions: DANC
The laundry would daunt me more !

Tacos are pretty easy and may not be authentic but ground beef or chicken some flour tortillas and some lettuce tomatoes onions some black oives maybe sour cream . Hot sauce and taco spice to your taste. The same fresh stuff works for salads. You will figure it out.

For the meal services, we've tried Plated, Hello fresh, and Gobble. If you try that route McM, I would reccommend Gobble first. Slightly more expensive than the other two, but the ingredients come pre-cut / prepared, so they are faster / easier to prepare. If you truly are a cooking novice, that might be a better start for you.

Then after you cut your teeth a bit, you can switch services and try something a bit harder.

They provide a recipe card with each meal, so you can also eventually repeat them from scratch once you've gathered 10 to 15 favorites.

One word of warning though, they list an estimated time for prep and cooking on those recipe sheets and they are always low. If it says 30 min, it's probably closer to 50 to 60.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
s-l400.jpg

It depends on if you provide it with enough food and water. Remember, chickens are used to living in cold environments, but that doesn’t mean it won’t need adequate foliage to build a warm nest.

• Love
Reactions: UncleMark
I've never tried them, but friends say the prepacked meals like hello fresh are actually pretty good and come with simple to follow instructions. and that they have enough variety that you can go a month without repeating meals. I always thought you were older surprised you have kids at home

hello fresh are usually pretty solid and well flavored. Far better than home chef or that Blue apron garbage

Reactions: Lucy01
One of the things no one prepares you for at 18 is cooking for the rest of your life. I had to take a 2 week crossover to industrial arts which was mandantory in 8th grade . I learned a lot of things I still remember . Curl your fingers when chopping with a knife so you cant cut the end of a finger off. I am amazed at the amount of pro athletes with kitchen injuries over the years. If I drop a sharp knife off the table I jump immediately, You might still get a cut but you don't get nailed to the floor with a knife point in your foot. Baking I don't even attempt. Spaghetti is pretty easy as well. My biggest advise is good ingredients , common sense and lots of cheese. Really if you put in good stuff a crockpot is hard to mess up . A pork roast or tenderloin you can eat that way. I put full potatoes half way done . You can do pulled pork sandwich with BBQ sauce of choice.
I love cooking. I heard somewhere that men that can cook are good in bed.

I haven't had any complaints on the cooking. Everything else...

I love cooking. I heard somewhere that men that can cook are good in bed.

I haven't had any complaints on the cooking. Everything else...
I've never heard that second sentence. It MUST be true!

• Haha
Reactions: larsIU
No idea.

Hey, just saw that there were 8 shot/3 fatalities in a school shooting in St. Louis.
Cops were a hell of a lot different than Texas. First ones on the scene were off duty and in plain clothes. Showed up and went right in shooting. Scary shit reading about this kid's note. Just unhappy. No gf. No friends. No family. He looks just like a normal kid. You can stereotype crimes (not woke i know) but he doesn't "look" like the type. And of course my daughter's snapshot had a shooting threat at her school and a bunch of other local schools that her friends were forwarding to each other. so we kept her home. the threat was bs but what do you do

Cops were a hell of a lot different than Texas. First ones on the scene were off duty and in plain clothes. Showed up and went right in shooting. Scary shit reading about this kid's note. Just unhappy. No gf. No friends. No family. He looks just like a normal kid. You can stereotype crimes (not woke i know) but he doesn't "look" like the type. And of course my daughter's snapshot had a shooting threat at her school and a bunch of other local schools that her friends were forwarding to each other. so we kept her home. the threat was bs but what do you do
Remember when school shootings were so unusual, so beyond the pale, that each one engendered its own thread with dozens of replies? Now it's just ho-hum, move along, been-there-done-that.

It really is frightening how normalized this has become.

Reactions: DANC and Indianaftw
Remember when school shootings were so unusual, so beyond the pale, that each one engendered its own thread with dozens of replies? Now it's just ho-hum, move along, been-there-done-that.

Absurd. I meant snapchat. Her snapchat thing listed like 10 schools for today. Half of them were far away from each other. I texted it to some cop buddies who said it's bs send her to school. but we didn't. because what if. there were some smart kids at VAP. they were jumping out third story windows. that's what I'd do. whatever it took to get the hell out

Absurd. I meant snapchat. Her snapchat thing listed like 10 schools for today. Half of them were far away from each other. I texted it to some cop buddies who said it's bs send her to school. but we didn't. because what if. there were some smart kids at VAP. they were jumping out third story windows. that's what I'd do. whatever it took to get the hell out
Awful, awful stuff.

As are the shootings in poor communities where gangbangers randomly shoot up a place, killing children. Our nation needs to be more outraged at this stuff.

Awful, awful stuff.

As are the shootings in poor communities where gangbangers randomly shoot up a place, killing children. Our nation needs to be more outraged at this stuff.
For sure. And it's something that while it may not be fixed it can be improved. Dump these dumb woke mayors/prosecutors and get tough on crime. Strict sentencing/no bond for gun charges. F it. Have amnesty days and buybacks. Ban large capacity magazines and whatever guns need to go with it. Make licensing stringent and prohibitively expensive. Expand gun clubs where certain guns can only be shot on the premises and left in lockers. Lift manufacturer immunity - and not just for merchandising practices type shit but subject to more garden-variety torts. Spend money on cops. More tech in schools. Those impenetrable doors. Whatever.

The wokesters love mental health. And i know they are right but it's pretty impractical in my unscientific opinion. unless the kid has been working on a manifesto that's found how do you know. half the zombies that pour out of my kid's school respond with monosyllabic grunts upon confrontation. who do you choose for counseling

But...America.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crayfish57
For sure. And it's something that while it may not be fixed it can be improved. Dump these dumb woke mayors/prosecutors and get tough on crime. Strict sentencing/no bond for gun charges. F it. Have amnesty days and buybacks. Ban large capacity magazines and whatever guns need to go with it. Make licensing stringent and prohibitively expensive. Expand gun clubs where certain guns can only be shot on the premises and left in lockers. Lift manufacturer immunity - and not just for merchandising practices type shit but subject to more garden-variety torts. Spend money on cops. More tech in schools. Those impenetrable doors. Whatever.

The wokesters love mental health. And i know they are right but it's pretty impractical in my unscientific opinion. unless the kid has been working on a manifesto that's found how do you know. half the zombies that poor out of my kid's school respond with monosyllabic grunts upon confrontation. who do you choose for counseling

But...America.
M66, hard to argue with anything you write.

Just want to add the teachings of Ed Latessa who died earlier this year. Latessa headed up the Criminal Justice School at the University of Cincinnati. i first heard Latessa talk to a group of professionals engaged in the arresting, prosecuting, judging, imprisoning, and supervising criminals in Indianapolis and surrounding areas.

There seemed to be a lot of agreement among those attending the lecture some fives years ago. However, as far as I can tell, little or nothing has changed

Basically Latessa takes the position unless recidivism is greatly improved in our criminal justice system, the system is a failure. Furthermore he offers ways to improve recidivism which he contends is a vast improvement over the current practices in most all of our communities.

Here is a link to a long video regarding the Latessa philosophy.

We thought we were real outlaws when we pulled the fire alarm between classes.

How old are your kids? Maybe involve them in the prep and especially cleanup. Sometime in their lives just like you are experiencing they will have to do some cooking. If I lived in town and there was a local home mom and pop diner I would eat there a lot. I get tired of chains and the drive. I am 5 miles+ from any place and no pizza delivery. Was getting a good breakfast cheap with a friend once a week that took a box home for the next day and it closed this summer.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
How old are your kids? Maybe involve them in the prep and especially cleanup. Sometime in their lives just like you are experiencing they will have to do some cooking. If I lived in town and there was a local home mom and pop diner I would eat there a lot. I get tired of chains and the drive. I am 5 miles+ from any place and no pizza delivery. Was getting a good breakfast cheap with a friend once a week that took a box home for the next day and it closed this summer.
Wow. We can walk to restaurants. I like this delivery service of prepped meals

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT