ADVERTISEMENT

how good is CTA

Any reasonable person evaluates with a bit more complexity than just wins and losses, if true progress is the issue. Winning against inferior competition is great, but progress should be measured in the actual level of play. Again, it’s about standards for me, but I understand others see it differently.
It's a bottom line business - - wins and losses. The W/L record is the clearest, most tangible evidence of progress. I remember you arguing that very point a couple of years ago, under one or more of your many previous user names, when people were saying that we were making progress but it wasn't yet reflected in the record.

You are, as always, utterly full of shit.

The Nebraska win isn't a signature win just like beating us in basketball 2 years ago wasn't. Beating Virginia 2 years ago at Virginia was probably a better win.

It's a bottom line business - - wins and losses. The W/L record is the clearest, most tangible evidence of progress. I remember you arguing that very point a couple of years ago, under one or more of your many previous user names, when people were arguing that we were making progress but it wasn't yet reflected in the record.

You are, as always, utterly full of shit.
No, you don’t remember me arguing anything a couple of years ago, since I didn’t. Because it’s funny how unwound you’ve suddenly become because you can’t respond substantively. Lol at you.

No, you don’t remember me arriving anything a couple of years ago, since I didn’t. Because it’s funny how unwound you’ve suddenly become because you can’t respond substantively. Lol at you.
What does "arriving anything" mean? What language is this?

Forget arrivals. Please depart.

August 7th and September 2nd of 2019? Make you want to go HMMM.

The Nebraska win isn't a signature win just like beating us in basketball 2 years ago wasn't. Beating Virginia 2 years ago at Virginia was probably a better win.

Any reasonable person would recognize that going from five wins to seven (or more) wins is progress. Winning in the B1G on the road, something that can be difficult for even the best teams (just ask Ohio State, who lost to a mediocre Purdue team last year, or Wisconsin, who lost to a mediocre Illinois team this year) but has been particularly challenging for IU, is progress.

It is absolutely killing you that IU is vastly improved this season while Purdue sucks. All you've got left in your pitiful arsenal is strength of schedule. Well, it wasn't long ago when IU was losing to weak teams like Nevada, or getting crushed at home by the likes of Illinois. That's not happening anymore. I'd call that progress.
Im not sure where you are getting this partisanship in this post? Just read what's written...dont fill in the blanks...he may not be IU but the truth is the truth...

Losing to Nevada and getting beaten at home by Illinois really measure up to your standards I bet.
What do those Purdue losses have to do with IU’s progress? Talk about moving the goalposts when you’re failing to make a convincing point.

Im not sure where you are getting this partisanship in this post? Just read what's written...dont fill in the blanks...he may not be IU but the truth is the truth...
I can assure you I’ve been an IU football fan longer than he’s known the school or program existed.

With all due respect, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

And if you're hitching your wagon to "IndyResident's" lunacy, well, I'll leave that thought unfinished.

Sorry! I consider winning in the BIG as a road underdog a signature win. Especially when the other team had a week off to prepare and needed to win as badly as Nebraska did. Should have spent some of that 6.6 million a year on a strength staff.

Days make you go hmmm? Sorry I don't think beating a bad/mediocre team is a "signature" win. A good win, yes.

Reactions: mobilehoosier
Sorry! I consider winning in the BIG as a road underdog a signature win. Especially when the other team had a week off to prepare and needed to win as badly as Nebraska did. Should have spent some of that 6.6 million a year on a strength staff.
Yeah, Sir Sauced and WestLaffyResident16 (formerly known as Ordfan and literally dozens of other names) are apoplectic over IU's success this season. (As you've intimated, it's probably just one person posting under those names). Be prepared for a "scorched earth" approach (i.e. blowing up every thread) until the inevitable banning.

Reactions: DANC, td75 and 76-1

A strength staff and a new field...;)

Their QB broke his ankle on the same spot on their crap field that Blough did...

Throw in all the knee injuries caused by that mud hole and it's hard to believe they can recruit anyone to play there without an offshore injury insurance account...:rolleyes::confused:

We just have different definitions of signature, then. What 6.6m? Is that what Scott Frost makes?

Yeah, Sir Sauced and WestLaffyResident16 (formerly known as Ordfan and literally dozens of other names) are apoplectic over IU's success this season. (As you've intimated, it's probably just one person posting under those names). Be prepared for a "scorched earth" approach (i.e. blowing up every thread) until the inevitable banning.

Don't know who that is. Don't know why I would be apoplectic about beong 7-2. Just don't put a ton of weight into that Nebraska win, they aren't good.

Reactions: drose
Try to unclench your fists, especially when you type. It should help.

Their QB broke his ankle on the same spot on their crap field that Blough did...

Throw in all the knee injuries caused by that mud hole and it's hard to believe they can recruit anyone to play there without an offshore injury insurance account...:rolleyes::confused:
Didn’t you claim Brohm purposely tried to get Sindelar injured? Did he do that to the back up, too?

Yes, with all that water and exposed wiring during the Illinois/PU game, it's a miracle that no one was a) swept away or b) electrocuted.

Reactions: grammy2 and 76-1
With all due respect, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

And if you're hitching your wagon to "IndyResident's" lunacy, well, I'll leave that thought unfinished.
Calm down dude...watch your blood pressure...I dont know the man from Adam and that was the stinking point. I went by simply what he said. You should try it....vbg. You need to get a grip...no disrespect intended...

Different standards, I guess. To me, winning and progress are most accurately measured by the quality of the opponent, rather than just the score achieved against inferior competition. Most adults can ace an exam of basic arithmetic, but I’m not sure that would define one’s aptitude nearly as much as doing well on a calculus test. For some, the grade is solely how they choose to evaluate themselves, regardless of the level of challenge or difficulty. Just a difference in standards and expectations, that’s all.

We used to be inferior competition.

CTA is 17-17 through his first 34 games. He is 500. The last coach to be 500 or better was Bo McMillin in the 1940s. Let that sink in.

I don't know, to be honest. It's difficult to tell if the stars and luck have aligned in a highly unusual way to favor IU for once or if the improvement is real and lasting. I'm pumped about the 7 wins and whatever bowl we're in. It's been nice to feel happy at the end of 7 games so far, a feeling most of us aren't used to. I'm glad to reach 7 wins and definitely did not predict that at this point before the season or early in the season.

I've previously said on here that I think CTA is a good man but the wrong man for IU. I've always said that I hope I'm wrong, and I was definitely wrong about my prediction for the season. IU is finally winning a soft non-conference schedule and winning conference games against lower-end teams. Everything I see indicates that the players really love playing for CTA (admittedly, his schtick drives me nuts, but my feelings don't matter!). CTAs off-season offensive coaching change looks like a real success, a smart hire, and demonstrates a willingness to change when needed. These are real changes that a litany of other IU coaches haven't mustered. I'll certainly tip my hat to CTA for that.

But the loss to MSU is a bad loss and OSU underscored how far we are from the top, as they've done to just about everybody. Our 7 wins come against teams with a collective 16 wins 10 weeks into the season. I don't have any idea if we can beat a team with a pulse as the only we've seen are OSU and maybe MSU, if you're being generous to MSU. The team is sloppy and undisciplined at times; we're the most penalized team in the B1G.

IU has to beat Purdue this year. Penn State or Michigan losses wouldn't signal anything exceptionally bad to me; their talent is light-years ahead of ours. A win in either of those would really make this year special and indicate to me that there's something real and lasting happening here. It would signal that we're something more than a team that can beat up on the Sister's of the Poor. I hope the staff can carry the season's success on to the recruiting trail.

Go Hoosiers!

Youre just an agitator arent you? Ignore button where are you...lol :confused:

Ha! Oh you guys know I always end up putting him on ignore, just like to remind him with each of his new user names that he isn't fooling anyone (or at least very many). The IU FB wins have his rage ramping up, so this version wont be here long.

And at an Ag school...

How embarrassing...

Reactions: DANC and 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT