ADVERTISEMENT

How do we handle Iran?

Most experts think the number of encounters at the southern border is a better proxy for how many are crossing than it is for how many we are stopping. So this argument you keep making didn't really do much. It also has nothing to do with Iran.
Chart shows apprehensions are higher under biden...meaning those being caught. Republicans are acting like Biden is just letting people into the country, which isn't fact.

And I wasn't the one that brought up southern border.

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
Chart shows apprehensions are higher under biden...meaning those being caught. Republicans are acting like Biden is just letting people into the country, which isn't fact.

Oh the folks thinking Biden is just letting people in are wrong. But it's also wrong to simply point to the increase in encounters as some kind of evidence that he's doing a better job with the border.

Clever. Still nothing to do with Iran. This is supposed to be the serious Iran thread. Can we keep it that way?
The iron sheik was a national champion and the second ranked wrestler in all of Iran. His buddy was the top ranked wrestler and brought great pride to Iran through his international tournament successes. The shah asked him what he would like: money. Cars? A new house? And he answered better school facilities and libraries and public works. The shah immediately got up and left. Knowing that he’d just sealed their fate he fled to the US with the iron sheik.

The timing was actually pretty fortuitous as this was during the Carter admin and hostages so anti Iran sentiment was strong and allowed the sheik a perfect heel opportunity. That the sheik was an Olympic quality wrestler and spoke Farsi put him over the top

Iran has also be sanctioned multiple times for using men on their women’s’ national teams. The pic of the gk is pretty great.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Oh the folks thinking Biden is just letting people in are wrong. But it's also wrong to simply point to the increase in encounters as some kind of evidence that he's doing a better job with the border.
I was talking about apprehensions, not encounters. Seems like if you're catching more people, you are doing a better job

I was talking about apprehensions, not encounters. Seems like if you're catching more people, you are doing a better job
Hopefully this puts a stop to this as Goat has asked you all a few times to stay on topic.

If policy outside apprehensions reduces the amount of people attempting to cross to 20 and my border patrol catches 5 does that mean I am doing worse than someone who doesn't have policies that reduce the amount of people attempting to come and instead has 50 attempting to cross but only catches 25?

Furthermore, does the 25 matter if there is nothing done to them other than to say, "You need to see a judge" and then they are released anyway to not be tracked?

Don't come back to me with some defense of Biden, I don't care to hear it. This is why even people who are generally on your side are saying, "Dude..." in the thread.

Reactions: NPT and jet812
The iron sheik was a national champion and the second ranked wrestler in all of Iran. His buddy was the top ranked wrestler and brought great pride to Iran through his international tournament successes. The shah asked him what he would like: money. Cars? A new house? And he answered better school facilities and libraries and public works. The shah immediately got up and left. Knowing that he’d just sealed their fate he fled to the US with the iron sheik.

The timing was actually pretty fortuitous as this was during the Carter admin and hostages so anti Iran sentiment was strong and allowed the sheik a perfect heel opportunity. That the sheik was an Olympic quality wrestler and spoke Farsi put him over the top

Iran has also be sanctioned multiple times for using men on their women’s’ national teams. The pic of the gk is pretty great.

tenor.gif

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66

Not if the reason you are catching people is because 10x more people are going through the border. His entire point is that if more people are encouraged to try and immigrate illegally, you should be catching more, but that doesn’t mean the problem is better. It’s actually worse.

On a more serious note, strikes have to be done and be done without notifications and signals. This entire warning garbage is utterly worthless.

I like Alohas idea of sinking their navy, but that doesn’t do much. The message needs to be loud and clear. We know many Iranians aren’t looking for a war (conversely to Gaza), so how do you prevent a full scale engagement but also hit them where it hurts?

On a more serious note, strikes have to be done and be done without notifications and signals. This entire warning garbage is utterly worthless.

I like Alohas idea of sinking their navy, but that doesn’t do much. The message needs to be loud and clear. We know many Iranians aren’t looking for a war (conversely to Gaza), so how do you prevent a full scale engagement but also hit them where it hurts?

man, some of you guys are really lost in the woods on this "appeasement" and "warning" stuff.

please tell us about the time the US retaliated against a foe without making some broad, threatening statement first?

I think you're spot on. I think in my post above, if we decide to stay in the region, we need to go with shock and awe instead of surgical and precise, and this is exactly the kind of shock and awe we should do, because it flexes maximum muscle while minimizing unnecessary death.
It’s all fine and easy until someone like China or Russia warns - after our warning - that they will protect Iran against US unilateral aggression.

The number they stop doesn’t mean fewer are getting through. It likely means more are getting through too.

Possibly. It's a stat we don't know.

But it flies in the face of those that claim the current administration isn't doing their job.
All things being equal they catch a relatively constant percentage of them each month. Higher number caught means higher number got through.

Last edited:
All things being equal they catch a relatively constant percentage of them each month. Higher number caught means higher number got through.
Higher number caught could also correlate with more personnel on the ground catching them.

They have...
-upped the number of border agents by 2,600 (from 24,000)- and growing more as they increased pay
-upped deployment of national guard to 2,500
-added 800 active duty military personnel
-extended border control responsibilities to 500 law enforcement officers
-expanded holding and processing capacity (you can only catch more if you have a place to put them, at least temporarily)

short summary from Sept 2023 here: https://www.dhs.gov/news/2023/09/20...inistration-takes-new-actions-increase-border

Reactions: IU_Hickory
Higher number caught could also correlate with more personnel on the ground catching them.

They have...
-upped the number of border agents by 2,600 (from 24,000)- and growing more as they increased pay
-expanded holding and processing capacity (you can only catch more if you have a place to put them, at least temporarily)

short summary from Sept 2023 here: https://www.dhs.gov/news/2023/09/20...inistration-takes-new-actions-increase-border
it's very simple. biden came out as a progressive trying to be open and let people in. like everything else he did he blew it and now is trying to go the othe rdirection. i know youre a hardcore republican but at some point you need to appreciate that every instinct biden has had has been wrong. 50 years in gov and he governs like a neophyte with zero experience working on feelings. trying to bend yourself into a pretzel to support biden just makes you look stupid

worst in history under biden. the man just keep breaking worst in history, worst in decades, worst in modern history records

pick a topic. crime. inflation. border. anything. whatever this batch of dems think doing the opposite will be the correct answer. scary stuff

Last edited:

They have...

It only takes 19

Israel going all out after a suicide drone attacked Eilat

If Iran does something stupid like actually respond to this in any military fashion, they'd be doing Israel a hell of a favor. Public perception of Israel is not great right now but this kind of larger military conflict would strenthen their already strong position and probably save Bibi's government.

Reactions: DANC
If Iran does something stupid like actually respond to this in any military fashion, they'd be doing Israel a hell of a favor. Public perception of Israel is not great right now but this kind of larger military conflict would strenthen their already strong position and probably save Bibi's government.

We shall see...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT