ADVERTISEMENT

How Do We Feel About Sony Pulling The Movie

Ah, you are a lawyer

Unless I get an infected paper cut reading your cease-and-desist letters, nothing to worry about from your grudge. Do you watch Big Bang, after Sheldon told Brent Spiner that Spiner was on his enemies list and walked away Wil Wheaton told Spiner not to worry, it doesn't take up much time.

Of course that's how Sony has felt about my grudge..

Huh? What?

To refrain from computer hacking and threats of death and violence is a reward? Okaaaaayyyy.

Free expression through an art medium is bad behavior? Okaaaaayyyyyy.

Don't blame the lawyers

I spent more time explaining that the risk of a certain course of action was zero or minimal than I ever spent advising that something was too risky. A typical corporate/government bureaucrat will say "too risky" as an excuse to not do something the bureaucrat doesn't want to do anyway--most of the time because it involves doing something new and different and outside of comfort zones.

Hollywood May Now Be In A State of Utter Cognitive Dissonance

O.
M.
G.
!!

Did you see what that Axis Of Evil member did to Sony?
Urp. Bush was ..... OMG .... right!
OMG OMG OMG!!

SOMEBODY CALL OBAMA!!

Classic . . .

Sheldon's power over the country is in pointing out the vast powerlessness of most of us . . . .

BTW, he's cashing in now big-time . . . he's the voice of some kids show characters, not to mention his Intel commercials . . . .

He should

I suspect it takes a lot of talent to take a character everyone should hate and make them beloved. Hugh Laurie did that with House. The show would not work if Sheldon didn't work.

Though the original pilot didn't have Penny but another character who was mean and using Sheldon/Leonard. That did flop so she was replaced and Penny brought in. So I guess there is something to her character. I've always thought that having a loony set of characters with a normal person was the way to go. MASH did that (Radar I think was the normal), Bob Newhart did that a couple times. So I guess Penny is important that she represent us the viewer. But if Sheldon isn't likable, I don't think anyone watches the show.

exactly...this has nothing to do with courage or free speech...

Everyone who stands/stood to make money off this movie is looking out for number one.

Theaters don't want this movie because the threat will keep people away from EVERY movie being played and significantly hurt
their bottom line. Maybe The Interview would have had ho-hum box offices results the first weekend, but Unbroken and The Hobbit won't.

This is speculative - but I have a feeling that whoever hacked into Sony's email/ database has a lot more damaging information on their top administrors and financials. My guess is that the potential damage that could result from that information being released could dwarf the estimated $42 million they'll have to eat for pulling this movie.

This post was edited on 12/18 12:19 PM by Ohio Guy

Hmmm . . .

I think Penny is important because she gives guys who are more into sports something to do/look at until they get the gist of the show and will watch it for its own merits.

Plus, there's always that nerd/average joe-gets-the-cute-girl fantasy . . . .

not doing enough to protect our cyber borders!

sorry...that's all I got.

Cruise's cameo in that movie

Is the best work he's ever done. That was spectacularly good.

I've seen some good reviews also, particularly by

Alan Sepinwell, who generally has the same taste I do. You're correct though in that comedy is very subjective. I abhor many comedies that some people love. I'm impartial to Seth, like some and not others. I thought the trailers for this were decent and would have seen it.

Like all those and liked the Leslie Nielsen Airplane movies

I liked SuoerBad too.

I hope this just exacerbates Sony's decline

Actors are just livid about the decision and will likely refuse to work with Sony Pictures again.

I'm not sure why anyone would invest in this company, even though it looks cheap. Terrible management, awful decisions and it clearly is trending lower long-term. It used to be a pioneer and produce the best quality TVs. As the baby boomers fade out, it will literally have little to no brand value moving forward.

I guess I don't understand why anyone would wish the

decline of a company just because they don't like the product. You want thousands of people to lose their jobs just because you like LG tv's better than Sony's? I am sure that the lighting tech at Sony Pictures doesn't agree with you.

Wondered that myself . 140,900 employees last count I saw

from late 2013.

This post was edited on 12/18 9:06 PM by Tracon

This post was edited on 12/18 9:17 PM by Tracon

So the jobs have no transferability?

Makes no sense. There are several alternatives for each of Sony's product lines.

Just because the Company is a failure doesn't mean the assets aren't of value, including the human assets.

This post was edited on 12/18 10:19 PM by mjvcaj

Maybe?

At some point companies would have to hire more, but my guess is a company like LG probably isn't at 100% production. With no idea of real numbers, if Sony makes 5000 tvs a month, their competitors could produce a lot of that with what they have in place. Now, there may be some OT involved, but I doubt the competitors would have to hire close to 100% of what Sony employs.

If Demand holds constant, competitors will pick up the slack

Those competitors will need to hire more line workers, quality control managers, engineers, etc. to deal with an increased production.

I don't believe the evaporation of a company eliminates the jobs entirely. Jobs just don't get lost into some abyss. Look at Lehman for instance. That was a rapid decline with bankruptcy declared basically over a weekend. Lehman employees that were still interested in working found other jobs.

Many jobs are lost. Similar to an M&A. Don't necessarily need two

or more of everything.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT