ADVERTISEMENT

How’s everyone feeling about the roster

edub72

Junior
Jan 17, 2018
I feel more optimistic this summer than last. I think IU has some perimeter guys who can score and shoot it decent. This time last year we were all hoping guys on the roster would get better over the summer and shoot it better. Nope

I feel more optimistic this summer than last. I think IU has some perimeter guys who can score and shoot it decent. This time last year we were all hoping guys on the roster would get better over the summer and shoot it better. Nope

We have 2 potential 1st round picks, the top C, the most improved player, a 5 star frosh, a top portal PG, 2 5th yr Sr, a freak athlete redshirt, a top 3 pt shooter, and a PG that learned by fire his frosh year. Woody should resign if he can't with the BT with that. Give that to Hurley and people would write about a natty.

I feel the roster could be one of the hardest teams to guard in America. I also hope they will guard teams as well as anyone in America. I really believe Goode will be the x factor off the bench with experience & timely threes.

I never feel good until I see them play perhaps five games. Then I can judge who can really play and those who could just play on paper.

Reactions: jmix
We have 2 potential 1st round picks, the top C, the most improved player, a 5 star frosh, a top portal PG, 2 5th yr Sr, a freak athlete redshirt, a top 3 pt shooter, and a PG that learned by fire his frosh year. Woody should resign if he can't with the BT with that. Give that to Hurley and people would write about a natty.
If Ballo was draft material, he wouldn't be playing his 5 year. He's only 6'10" and can't shoot, he is a downgrade from Ware! Are you talking about Leal as your 3pt shooter? He was your top shooter from 3 followed by Ware. Goode had 30 players in the BT who was better, and the problem with Goode and Leal is the defense end. This is not a top 5 lineup!

If Ballo was draft material, he wouldn't be playing his 5 year. He's only 6'10" and can't shoot, he is a downgrade from Ware! Are you talking about Leal as your 3pt shooter? He was your top shooter from 3 followed by Ware. Goode had 30 players in the BT who was better, and the problem with Goode and Leal is the defense end. This is not a top 5 lineup!
Salty

Reactions: IUPaterade724
It is a heck of a lineup on paper. Ill and UCLA join IU in the top three roster potentials.

Last edited:
Your inability to use was and were correctly indicated to me how much stock I should put into your perspective.

Of the 30 players that “was” better, a third of them averaged less than a 3 a game with some averaging one every 10 games. Of the remaining group several took right at or just above 1 per game. Of the shooters that took 3+ a game, Goode was 13 and will be coming off of our bench. I appreciate your highlighting that you lack the ability to grasp context within data.

Uh...it's not Ballo who is the potential 1st round pick. It's Mbako and Carlyle. Good rant though. You obviously need to do some homework. You showed how much you don't know,and not just because you didn't know who the potential 1st round picks were. JS

For example: Mbako shot 37.6% over the last 25 games of the season,on 5 attempts per game. Both of those #'s are going up without question,because of the level of guard play,and overall talent around him. Leal will not play much at all.

Last edited:
Finally some smart posting

Your inability to use was and were correctly indicated to me how much stock I should put into your perspective.

Of the 30 players that “was” better, a third of them averaged less than a 3 a game with some averaging one every 10 games. Of the remaining group several took right at or just above 1 per game. Of the shooters that took 3+ a game, Goode was 13 and will be coming off of our bench. I appreciate your highlighting that you lack the ability to grasp context within data.
Thats the point, Goode your best 3pt shooter is a bench player, while your projected starters have shown no ability to hit the three while playing in a weak PAC 12!

• Haha
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
There are a half-dozen coaches in the country, that with this roster would be rated in the top 5. This will come with an asterisk until we see Woody prove that he knows what he needs to win and how to best implement what he needs.
We'll be a really good team this year because on most nights we're almost idiot proof. We addressed the perimeter defense issue and that was the biggest problem. That's how we got blown out.
We should anticipate having 6 players at the combine. Ballo will stick as an Ufa. The pg position is really weak next year and I think it makes Rice a mid-late 1st day pick. Mgbako playing more stretch 4 than wing gets his perimeter defense out from under the microscope and should keep him in round one. A more durable/physical Brandon Ingram.

26' Tucker top ten, Carlyle 1st rounder, Reneau UFA.

Thats the point, Goode your best 3pt shooter is a bench player, while your projected starters have shown no ability to hit the three while playing in a weak PAC 12!
No, no, I understand, but having a top shooter coming off the bench is a good thing and speaks to depth. Mbako lit up the once he got into Big10 play. Plus, Carlyle hit 33% as a freshmen and volume shooter. I hear you all singing Heide’s praises and assuming a massive jump, and he did next to nothing as a freshmen.

Spot up shooting isnt something this team will do. It will be high paced offense hitting in transition. If they can hit at a 35-38 clip they will win the BIG

Agree. I am way more optimistic for this year.
Due to some combination of facilities, players’ feelings that the coaching staff can increase their chances of going pro, and NIL, we seem to be loaded with as much talent as anyone.
If the team is not super successful with this roster it will suggest to some of us that coaching may need an upgrade.

Reactions: IUgradman
No, no, I understand, but having a top shooter coming off the bench is a good thing and speaks to depth. Mbako lit up the once he got into Big10 play. Plus, Carlyle hit 33% as a freshmen and volume shooter. I hear you all singing Heide’s praises and assuming a massive jump, and he did next to nothing as a freshmen.
You had to shoot 42.6% from 3 last year to rank in the top 100 in college players! Reed Sheppard shot 52.1%! You like 33.3% from a player that played on a bad Stanford team in a bad league(Pac12)! Who is using Heide for an example? Heide did play on a final four team.

• Haha
There are a half-dozen coaches in the country, that with this roster would be rated in the top 5. This will come with an asterisk until we see Woody prove that he knows what he needs to win and how to best implement what he needs.
We'll be a really good team this year because on most nights we're almost idiot proof. We addressed the perimeter defense issue and that was the biggest problem. That's how we got blown out.
We should anticipate having 6 players at the combine. Ballo will stick as an Ufa. The pg position is really weak next year and I think it makes Rice a mid-late 1st day pick. Mgbako playing more stretch 4 than wing gets his perimeter defense out from under the microscope and should keep him in round one. A more durable/physical Brandon Ingram.

26' Tucker top ten, Carlyle 1st rounder, Reneau UFA.
Carlyle is the highest rated draft prospect for next year at 19. Smh

You had to shoot 42.6% from 3 last year to rank in the top 100 in college players! Reed Sheppard shot 52.1%! You like 33.3% from a player that played on a bad Stanford team in a bad league(Pac12)! Who is using Heide for an example? Heide did play on a final four team.
You are an idiot,and I suspect you wont be back once the season starts. Also...why are you here in the first place?Closet fan? Most of you are..lol

Reactions: kkott
How am I feeling about the roster?

I'm thinking there are a lot of unknowns but a lot more drive and dish options for a team without a lot of shooters.

Still very thin up front. Say Ballo goes down with an ankle injury January 15th. Reneau who is foul prone, becomes immeasurably valuable. If the Bellaramine kid can bang a bit, that would help. I'm not sure he can.

So if Ballo stays healthy, Reneau keeps his fouls down, and Carlyle doesn't turn it over all day, I think they can be top 4 in the conference.

I would draw heavily on Trey and Leal for leadership, and hope the top 8 includes Bryson Tucker.

Scoring will be less of a problem this year. Lots of scoring options.

Also I imagine Ballo, Reneau, Mgbako, and Galloway will be in together a lot in key possessions. It will be interesting to see who the 5th one is- I think probably Rice; and if Ballo or Reneau are out, do they go with Trey, Rice, Carlyle ? Tucker and Goode are real wildcards in how they play.

How am I feeling about the roster?

I'm thinking there are a lot of unknowns but a lot more drive and dish options for a team without a lot of shooters.

Still very thin up front. Say Ballo goes down with an ankle injury January 15th. Reneau who is foul prone, becomes immeasurably valuable. If the Bellaramine kid can bang a bit, that would help. I'm not sure he can.

So if Ballo stays healthy, Reneau keeps his fouls down, and Carlyle doesn't turn it over all day, I think they can be top 4 in the conference.

I would draw heavily on Trey and Leal for leadership, and hope the top 8 includes Bryson Tucker.

Scoring will be less of a problem this year. Lots of scoring options.

Also I imagine Ballo, Reneau, Mgbako, and Galloway will be in together a lot in key possessions. It will be interesting to see who the 5th one is- I think probably Rice; and if Ballo or Reneau are out, do they go with Trey, Rice, Carlyle ? Tucker and Goode are real wildcards in how they play.
Crunch time, it sure you want Galloway and Ballo in the game. Neither can shoot free throws

Crunch time, it sure you want Galloway and Ballo in the game. Neither can shoot free throws
That's a good point. But we will need rebounding and veterans in close games.

At least there are some good options at 2 and 3 this year. If we need speed, we go with Rice, Carlyle and Newton. If we need shooters, Leal and Goode. If we need boards, Ballo and Reneau.

I am sure Mgbako will be a bulk scorer this year. I'm hoping he's working hard on defensive footwork and closeouts

That's a good point. But we will need rebounding and veterans in close games.

At least there are some good options at 2 and 3 this year. If we need speed, we go with Rice, Carlyle and Newton. If we need shooters, Leal and Goode. If we need boards, Ballo and Reneau.

I am sure Mgbako will be a bulk scorer this year. I'm hoping he's working hard on defensive footwork and closeouts
Leal won't be playing at all.

Who said anything about needing him to be top 100? He’s at best our 3rd best shooter on the team that can score in multiple ways. Unlike any of the guards on your roster, he can find his own shot.

I'm aware. He still will play,sparingly
I think a lot of that will be determined by just how healthy Newton is. I for one havealways been a big proponent of Leal’s role whether he is playing or not. He has always been the first guys off the bench at timeouts, I have never heard him gripe once about his lack of playing time, and all indications are that he just loves being a Hoosier. Great teammate to have, and as last year showed, he can certainly play ball well enough to fill minutes when needed. I look forward to having him at the end of the bench for one more season!

Roster's good. No excuses. Show us it works Coach.

If this is our model on building a team, then should contend for the B1G title.

I like who we got. Very pleased with the guards in particular, should play well together.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT