ADVERTISEMENT

Hops vs Cannabis

twenty02

Hall of Famer
Jan 28, 2011
Can someone in the growing world explain if there is a massive difference in growing quality hops vs quality bud?

There are clearly similarities in the plant species, anyone that has been around both can easily tell, and I've understood they are ' cousins' in the plant world. I laugh when they talk of hops getting expensive at $10/lb wholesale and $3/oz retail.

Would this be the market price of quality bud, if not for govt prohibitions/taxes? No idea if yield vs input costs are comparable.

tumblr_mi8k0f2Tlg1rn2tw9o1_500.jpg

Reactions: T.M.P.
Can someone in the growing world explain if there is a massive difference in growing quality hops vs quality bud?

There are clearly similarities in the plant species, anyone that has been around both can easily tell, and I've understood they are ' cousins' in the plant world. I laugh when they talk of hops getting expensive at $10/lb wholesale and $3/oz retail.

Would this be the market price of quality bud, if not for govt prohibitions/taxes? No idea if yield vs input costs are comparable.
I don't grow hops or bud, but I can tell you that the fact they are closely related means nothing. Even two different cultivars of the same species can require dramatically different growing conditions, and produce dramatically different yields. For example, cabbage, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, and many others, are all varieties of the same species, and all produce different volumes of product for the same amount of space, nutrients and water. Tomatoes and potatoes are the same genus, and tomatoes are a pain in the ass, while potatoes are basically set-it-and-forget-it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT