ADVERTISEMENT

Hoosiers like their options at linebacker

snowling

Hall of Famer
by Mike Miller

For the first time since 1987, Indiana has an All-American linebacker in Tegray Scales.

Now, the Hoosiers need to identify someone to play next to him.

The early departure of Marcus Oliver has created an opening this year at Mike linebacker. Nearly three weeks into spring practice, IU feels it has plenty of options.

There’s Chris Covington and Dameon Willis, a pair of upperclassmen who enjoyed moments of success in 2016. Junior college All-American Mike McGinnis has also acquitted himself well to his new surroundings, while others in Indiana’s linebacking corps are looking to surface once the spring meets the summer — if not long before.

“This is a developmental process,” linebackers coach William Inge said. “As a team, we want to make sure that we can develop all the guys at the positions. For us, getting guys reps and making sure we’re perfect in our reps, that’s one of the goals we have for us in our position. Getting them reps is paramount.”

In Oliver, the Hoosiers lose a proven playmaker who earned a reputation for chasing down ball carriers. He’s the program leader with 12 forced fumbles, and in 39 career games, he also made 255 tackles and 24.5 tackles for loss.

He left a high standard for his replacement to meet, but the Hoosiers seem confident a worthy successor is already in their midst.

There’s Willis, who started for Oliver in the Foster Farms Bowl, capping a season that saw him appear in 12 games. At 6-foot-1, 227 pounds, he carries a similar frame to Oliver and started to show more flashes as a reliable contributor during the second half of last season.

Covington is an impressive athlete, who began his college career at quarterback in 2014. After returning to linebacker, Covington also surfaced as a potential future playmaker in the IU defense late last season.

He started along with Scales and Oliver in a November game at Michigan, finishing the year with 29 tackles, 19 solo stops and two sacks.

“We’ve been very pleased with his growth and his development and his understanding of the system and the structure,” Inge said. “he’s been a great driver in leading our defense.”

That’s an important component to all of this. Leadership was a trait coach Tom Allen forced out of his linebackers immediately upon his arrival as defensive coordinator last spring.

Oliver rose to meet that challenge, and Scales did, too.

For his upcoming senior season, Scales returns as the face of IU’s defense — the program’s first All-American linebacker since Van Waiters — having led the nation with 23.5 tackles for loss and 93 solo tackles.

From his view at the lead of the pack, Scales likes what he sees around him — especially with regard to the position competition heating up next to him.

“You got Chris coming in. Last year he had quite a few reps,” Scales said. “Mike McGinnis, T.J. Simmons. You got young guys like (Thomas Allen) and Kenny Arnold, young guys coming in and competing. That’s going to make our room better.”

Scales joked that the fellow linebackers are calling Simmons “fresh legs” after he redshirted last season. Simmons is a veteran of the Big Ten, having logged time in 37 career games and making 73 tackles during his junior season in 2015.

The Hoosiers want to tap into that experience — and utilize his presence — this spring and fall.

“TJ has a personality of knowing and understanding that he can control some things — his effort, his attitude, his passion and the love of the game,” Inge said. “When he shows up to practice, his personality literally infects five or six guys around him right off the bat just because he’s so happy. When you can control that and you know that you can do the things that you want to do, great things are going to come. Great things are going to happen.”

The Hoosiers hope the same can be said for their linebacking corps as a whole as the competition continues.

scoop.hoosiershq.com

Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: RBB89 and ESalum86
Thirty years since we've had an All American linebacker!! My God that's proof just how bad we've struggled to find good players.

Come on Coach Allen, take this program to the top!!

I know several people have pointed to losing Oliver as a reason for a decline in LB play next year, but I really think we will be improved. I like what was written above about TJ - not much talk about him last year...seems like a lot of people thought he didn't play because he wasn't good enough.....and then there was some rumbling he was nicked up. But you don't start as a freshman (even on a poor defense) without having quite a bit of talent. And I never was a big fan of Oliver. Loved how he stripped the ball, but I really think Simmons/Covington/Willis/McGinnis/new guys will be an improvement, imo.

Covington is probably the best athlete of the LB. I think he will step in for Oliver and play at a high level. Last year, he made some very athletic plays.

Reactions: ESalum86
Mo Burnam might be this year's Marcelino Ball. Guy had a pretty good offer list . . . FSU, Tennessee, Luhlvuhl, UNC, WVU . . .

. . . some additional good reason for a bit of hope regarding LBs this year.

Reactions: ESalum86
Such a departure from previous years. We have talent and depth at LBer - a rarity for a school like IU. Talent and depth at all defensive positions really. Amazing turnaround for anyone following IUFB for the past few decades.

There's enough talented players, especially on defense, that this team could find its way to a very nice bowl game.

Having two All American type players in Tegray Scales and Rashard Fant on defense is a tremendous opportunity for this football program to take another step forward.

I think Chris Covington will be better than Marcus Oliver, I really do. The kid's a heck of an athlete from last year's indications. With the somewhat surprise development of the defensive line last season, I expect it to be there again this year. I thought Gooch really came on strong towards the end of the season.

I'd give a big piece of money if it meant knocking off Ohio State to start the season!!

Reactions: snowling and RBB89
Such a departure from previous years. We have talent and depth at LBer - a rarity for a school like IU. Talent and depth at all defensive positions really. Amazing turnaround for anyone following IUFB for the past few decades.
Great points, which I think are lost on casual fans. Our defense in 2017 will be really good - - probably Top 25 good. This is uncharted territory for IU, at least in recent decades. And while the offense won't be as good as it was two years ago, it doesn't have to be.

I believe our defense will keep us in most games, and we'll have enough on offense to win several. I'm still going with 7-5, but the potential is there for a special season.

Reactions: snowling
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT