ADVERTISEMENT

Holtman ??

I've heard that former Bulldog player LaVall Jordan may be the guy to beat.

As expected they stayed with a Butler guy. I get the strategy but it can be limiting, as a non- grad casual fan of the Bulldogs I would have preferred to see Dane in the role but best wishes and good luck.

It has worked for years so why fix something that is not broken.

I guess time will tell.

Doyel seems to think that Butler has passed the tipping point and will soon be seen as a "destination" job in the college coaching ranks -- such that they would no longer have to worry about losing a coach to the likes of Iowa, Xavier, or Ohio State. He makes a decent argument -- but, then, I don't know how many "destination" programs would hire somebody (a former player or otherwise) off the heels of an 11-24 season. If IU had hired, say, Dan Dakich after his 13-18 campaign at BGSU, I suspect most of us would've been apoplectic....and understandably so.

But Butler and IU are two very different creatures. People refer to Butler's "system" as if whoever is head coach at any given point in time doesn't really matter. That's why a guy like Todd Lickliter can have great success there and then lay an egg at Iowa. Lickliter didn't make Butler a success -- Butler made Lickliter a success.

But if that's really the case, how to explain Brandon Miller's sub-500 season as interim head coach?

I guess time will tell.

Doyel seems to think that Butler has passed the tipping point and will soon be seen as a "destination" job in the college coaching ranks -- such that they would no longer have to worry about losing a coach to the likes of Iowa, Xavier, or Ohio State. He makes a decent argument -- but, then, I don't know how many "destination" programs would hire somebody (a former player or otherwise) off the heels of an 11-24 season. If IU had hired, say, Dan Dakich after his 13-18 campaign at BGSU, I suspect most of us would've been apoplectic....and understandably so.

But Butler and IU are two very different creatures. People refer to Butler's "system" as if whoever is head coach at any given point in time doesn't really matter. That's why a guy like Todd Lickliter can have great success there and then lay an egg at Iowa. Lickliter didn't make Butler a success -- Butler made Lickliter a success.

But if that's really the case, how to explain Brandon Miller's sub-500 season as interim head coach?

Butch had personal issues that undermined his stint as the Bulldogs coach. I won't elaborate further than that out of respect to the Millers.

I do hope the best for Butch and his family. They are great people, just sad to see it ended like it did for him.

Archie would have never left Dayton for a job like Purdue. He probably had multiple offers for jobs on that level the past few years.

There's no "probably" about it. He admitted he got a lot of calls for other jobs and this was the first one he listened to.

That's your opinion and you're certainly entitled to it. But no I disagree with you. Maybe it's the best it gets with Painter but not Purdue. I think a coach that can really recruit could do well at Purdue. Painter is an avaerage recruiter at best and hasn't had a dynamic assistant coach/ace recruiter since Cuonzo left. I'm hoping the new assistant we got from Creighton can be that guy.

You cow-bangers need to get over youseves thinking you're some "destination" job. What "great recruiter" would go to a school in a state where you're the 4th most popular school?

What proof do you have that Purdue can accomplish a lot more. To me appears that the sweet is pretty much the bench mark for Purdue as a program. Gene Keady the best coach you ever had got past the sweet 16 just twice and never made the final four. I am 46 years old and Purdue has made the final 4 1 time in my lifetime.

My favorite Purdue joke while Keady was coaching:

Did you hear they're building a new golf course at Purdue? Only 14 holes. Keady never makes it to the final four.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
Which is hilarious because one pundit talked about the job like it was better than Duke, Kentucky and UCLA combined and that coaches would knife someone to get it.
The premise that CH took a job declined by a number of others is false. And would you link the pundit who made the comments about that job? Thanks.

You cow-bangers need to get over youseves thinking you're some "destination" job. What "great recruiter" would go to a school in a state where you're the 4th most popular school?

4th most popular? Lol. I never said we're a destination job. But that doesn't mean we couldn't bring in someone better than Painter.

The same Doyle that was Crean's biggest cheerleader?

LOL!!

Well, it's just one particular opinion -- and I think, here, he makes a good enough argument. Him being a Crean cheerleader doesn't preclude him from ever having a worthwhile thought.

Holtmann almost certainly turned down other offers before taking OSU's. Since Collier, Butler has lost coaches to Nebraska, Xavier, Iowa, the Celtics, and now OSU. Does anybody think Holtmann would've left Butler for the first 3? I don't. And that's Doyel's point -- they're on their way to being a "destination job" in their own right.

It's just a testament to how much that program has risen in the last 15-20 years.

4th most popular? Lol. I never said we're a destination job. But that doesn't mean we couldn't bring in someone better than Painter.

Well, I still think that Painter's way better than you're giving him credit for.

But, that said, I do think that Purdue could interest high-level coaches. It wouldn't surprise me to see Cuonzo do well at Mizzou and end up creating a lot of pressure on Bobinski to make a switch (weren't they teammates for a season or two?).

All rival snark aside, Purdue is one of the top tier programs in the Big Ten, it's near Chicago, and it's in the basketball-rich state of Indiana. Of course they'd be able to attract an A-list coach (assuming they can convince penny-pinch Mitch to pony up the big cash....and that's not a putdown of him, BTW).

Well, I still think that Painter's way better than you're giving him credit for.

But, that said, I do think that Purdue could interest high-level coaches. It wouldn't surprise me to see Cuonzo do well at Mizzou and end up creating a lot of pressure on Bobinski to make a switch (weren't they teammates for a season or two?).

All rival snark aside, Purdue is one of the top tier programs in the Big Ten, it's near Chicago, and it's in the basketball-rich state of Indiana. Of course they'd be able to attract an A-list coach (assuming they can convince penny-pinch Mitch to pony up the big cash....and that's not a putdown of him, BTW).

Yep they played together for a few years. Yeah I could see that causing some pressure for sure. Mitch has ponied up for football and I'm hoping he'd do the same for basketball.

The premise that CH took a job declined by a number of others is false. And would you link the pundit who made the comments about that job? Thanks.

1) How do you know it's false? Been reported many places it's true.

2) Don't have a link. It was on ESPN radio. I kept laughing the more he went on and on and on about it.

I wouldn't say it's "false". I'd say that the people who know the complete truth first-hand about what was put forward to who and what their responses were aren't saying. We do know that Fred Hoiberg was rumored to have been contacted. We know that he tweeted that he was staying put. We know that Greg McDermott met with OSU officials. We know that he, also, issued a statement that he was staying at Creighton. I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting at the moment.

Of course, just because these guys spoke with OSU people doesn't mean they were offered the job.

In the end - who cares? OSU hired a very good young coach...and one that many programs would be happy to have.

1) How do you know it's false? Been reported many places it's true.

2) Don't have a link. It was on ESPN radio. I kept laughing the more he went on and on and on about it.
Where was it reported that they were turned down by many? I have yet to see anything suggesting that. And you "heard it on ESPN radio"? How conveniently inauthentic of an excuse.

Yeah.

IU is clearly # 1.

Notre Dame has a nationwide following.

Butler has had a lot more national success lately.

Nobody cares about Moo U expect the cow-bangers that go there.

Notre Dame football has a nationwide following. Basketball isn't nearly as popular. Not even close. Sure Butler has had more success but they're still not as popular as Purdue. Iu is one and Purdue is two.

Moo u? How original.

Reactions: Hoogolf
Notre Dame football has a nationwide following. Basketball isn't nearly as popular. Not even close. Sure Butler has had more success but they're still not as popular as Purdue. Iu is one and Purdue is two.

Moo u? How original.

Yeah, if you rank Indiana programs by average home game attendance (which admittedly isn't a perfect way to do it -- Duke averages below 10K), it goes like this (by national ranking):

7. Indiana - 17,106
20. Purdue - 13,662
55. Notre Dame - 8,517
58. Butler - 8,164

No other Indiana school registers in the top 100.

Surely you realize this guy's just trolling you, right?

The same Doyle that was Crean's biggest cheerleader?

LOL!!
Actually, Doyel tried to get Crean fired for player misconduct about a month after Doyel came to Indianapolis. Make no mistake -- Doyel is not Crean's biggest cheerleader, but Doyel is Doyel's biggest cheerleader.

My favorite Purdue joke while Keady was coaching:

Did you hear they're building a new golf course at Purdue? Only 14 holes. Keady never makes it to the final four.
I've always liked this one:

How do you find your way from Bloomington to West Lafayette without a map?

Answer: go north until you smell it, then go west until you step in it.

How do you guys spell "moo"? How many O's are enough? I'll hang up and listen to your answer.

"Way better"? Hmmmmm.

Isn't Painter's only known/rumored non-Purdue job interest Missouri?

Are you saying Duke or Kansas was calling him?

Seriously, Painter needs to leave the Purdue nest if he wants to make his own name.

Yeah, if you rank Indiana programs by average home game attendance (which admittedly isn't a perfect way to do it -- Duke averages below 10K), it goes like this (by national ranking):

7. Indiana - 17,106
20. Purdue - 13,662
55. Notre Dame - 8,517
58. Butler - 8,164

No other Indiana school registers in the top 100.

Surely you realize this guy's just trolling you, right?

What does home attendance have to do with it? Like I said, the people that went there cared.

Nobody else does.

Actually, Doyel tried to get Crean fired for player misconduct about a month after Doyel came to Indianapolis. Make no mistake -- Doyel is not Crean's biggest cheerleader, but Doyel is Doyel's biggest cheerleader.

Yeah, the first month he was there.

And then up until the second Crean was fired, Doyle was on his knees begging for the guy to keep his job and making every excuse in the world for him.

Reactions: Hoogolf
I'm wondering why you made it up, as well.

I'm wondering how you're such a complete moron. Eat too much lead paint as a kid?

It was Freddie Coleman's partner on his night show. The dude has a history of making dumb over-the-top comments.

Go back to your safe space, snowflake.

I'm wondering how you're such a complete moron. Eat too much lead paint as a kid?

It was Freddie Coleman's partner on his night show. The dude has a history of making dumb over-the-top comments.

Go back to your safe space, snowflake.
Was just looking for any attribution whatsoever that OSU offered the job to a bunch of candidates. If it wasn't your lie, I have no doubt it belongs to someone here with a history of making things up. He's been outed often but he won't stop. Funny that he lacks even basic common sense. Lol You should read some of the football stuff he got blasted for.

Most popular? I go to HS basketball game all winter, there fan's are wearing IU gear, ND gear, Butler gear, Duke gear, UNC gear, and no PU gear. In the year that PU won the B1G regular season. That's at Indiana HS Basketball games in NE Indiana and Indy areas.

Reactions: IUFAN80
Most popular? I go to HS basketball game all winter, there fan's are wearing IU gear, ND gear, Butler gear, Duke gear, UNC gear, and no PU gear. In the year that PU won the B1G regular season. That's at Indiana HS Basketball games in NE Indiana and Indy areas.

I highly doubt this is accurate. There is plenty of Purdue support in Indy. And by ND gear, I'm guessing it's mainly ND football. I live in Hamilton County and see Purdue stuff all the time. Which games are you going to?

Last edited:
Don't think he was talking about you, Vegas.

He quoted me. Should have been more clear, maybe. The dude I was responding to has a screw loose. He's acting like I insulted his momma when all I said was some radio pundit talked about the OSU job like it was the best job in the history of sports.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT