ADVERTISEMENT

Holtman ??

Good choice IMO. Buckeyes are going to be glad Mcdermott shot them down. I actually want Ohio St to be decent, not great but decent. It will be good for the entire conference.

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
This might be the beginning of the end for Butler. Can they continue to find coaches that maintain the high standard that has been set by previous coaches?

This might be the beginning of the end for Butler. Can they continue to find coaches that maintain the high standard that has been set by previous coaches?

I think they'll be okay. Making the jump to the big east was a big-time move for them and has given them more exposure.

Reactions: hoosiers

They've had a pretty incredible run: Collier to NB, Matta to Xavier, Lickliter to Iowa, Stevens to Celtics and now Holtmann to OSU. That's a pretty high bar to keep clearing for a supposed mid-major.

This certainly appears to be a solid hire for OSU. Like our hire of Archie, time will tell. I really have to wonder how Butler has had such sustained success with multiple coaching changes, but it certainly has worked for them.

There is already some connection to Butler with Matta having been there before going to Xavier and then OSU. It is a good hire as Holtmann would appear to be good replacement for Matta. I wasn't sold that Holtmann was going to be successful at maintaining the Butler success, but he has done pretty well. Obviously he isn't Brad Stevens, but maybe he will be like Thad Matta. I think Buckeye fans would be happy with a younger, healthier version of Thad Matta.

Holtmann will be stronger competition for Indiana high school kids. Butler is in a good conference and has success, but the draw of the B1G in the midwest and the size and budget of OSU will help him compete. I think it hurts Purdue slightly more than it hurts us.

They've had a pretty incredible run: Collier to NB, Matta to Xavier, Lickliter to Iowa, Stevens to Celtics and now Holtmann to OSU. That's a pretty high bar to keep clearing for a supposed mid-major.

I don't suppose Butler to be a mid-major. They once were. But like Gonzaga, Wichita State, Xavier, and a few others, they've clearly moved up in class.

That said, they're still not in a position to outduel a B10 program -- especially one with tOSU's pockets -- for a basketball coach.

Home Run hire for The OSU. The Butler to OSU pipeline continues. I thought Holtmann was one of the top realistic candidates for the IU job along with CAM and now they are both in the B1G.

Last edited:
And then there was a B1G coach that has been just good enough to keep his job and occasionally have a very good, but not great season. Thanks PU for not being in the hunt for a great young head basketball coach.

Lots of coaches said no to the Ohio job. I am not sold on Holtman but may be proven very wrong.

And then there was a B1G coach that has been just good enough to keep his job and occasionally have a very good, but not great season. Thanks PU for not being in the hunt for a great young head basketball coach.

What is your definition of "great young head basketball coach?"

Great young head basketball coach is the next Generation of National Championship potential winning coaches. The next Coach K, Roy Williams, Pitino, Boeheim, Izzo, RMK, Wooden, Donovan, Calipari. I am happy that IU hired Coach Archie Miller and with his success leading Dayton to their best ever NCAA Tournament finish. To be great you have to be a successful Tournament coach. Brad Stevens leads the next generation of great young basketball coaches and Danny Ainge and the Celtics lured Brad Stevens away from college basketball.

Great young head basketball coach is the next Generation of National Championship potential winning coaches. The next Coach K, Roy Williams, Pitino, Boeheim, Izzo, RMK, Wooden, Donovan, Calipari. I am happy that I hired Coach Archie Miller and with his success leading Dayron to their best ever NCAA Tournament finish. To be great you have to be a successful Tournament coach. Brad Stevens leads the next generation of great young basketball coaches and Danny Ainge and the Celtics lured Brad Stevens away from college basketball.

You hired Archie? So I'm guessing you're Fred Glass?

I think that remains to be seen.

True, but there is a lot more optimism surrounding the program and fan base now. Going into next season with Crean would have been a huge dark cloud. Had PU hired AM to replace MP, how would Purdue rate the hire? From PU fans I personally know it would be a mixed bag... some love the risk and others hate the idea of one of their own not leading the program. It really does not matter now I guess cause I'm sure the new AD has his own plan.

Last edited:
Reactions: nagemj02
True, but there is a lot more optimism surrounding the program and fan base now. Going into next season with Crean would have been a huge dark cloud. Had PU hired AM to replace MP, how would Purdue rate the hire? From PU fans I personally know it would be a mixed bag... some love the risk and others hate the idea of one of their own not leading the program. It really does matter now I guess cause I'm sure the new AD has his own plan.

Like you said, I think it'd be a mixed bag. I personally don't care if our coach is an alum. If he doesn't do we'll moving forward, he shouldn't get extra slack because he's an alum. I want a coach who can recruit and can do well in the tournament. I'm not convinced Painter is that guy.

That wouldn't be good for IU or Purdue.
Why because i feel Holtman is a little overrated. He is 114-85 in his career and was 44-54 at Gardner Webb. He has never won a conference title or a conference tournament title. He has lost in the conference tournament 4 years in a row and never made it past the sweet 16.

True, but there is a lot more optimism surrounding the program and fan base now. Going into next season with Crean would have been a huge dark cloud. Had PU hired AM to replace MP, how would Purdue rate the hire? From PU fans I personally know it would be a mixed bag... some love the risk and others hate the idea of one of their own not leading the program. It really does not matter now I guess cause I'm sure the new AD has his own plan.
Archie would have never left Dayton for a job like Purdue. He probably had multiple offers for jobs on that level the past few years.

Reactions: Hoogolf
Why because i feel Holtman is a little overrated. He is 114-85 in his career and was 44-54 at Gardner Webb. He has never won a conference title or a conference tournament title. He has lost in the conference tournament 4 years in a row and never made it past the sweet 16.
I predict he will have a run similar to when Todd L. went to Iowa. He's starting in a big hole with personnel and it's June 9.

PU hired an alumni, so they chose Painter. He wins just enough at Purdue to keep his job. A PU lifer.

Holtmann will do better than Lickliter. The OSU has a better recruiting base than Iowa. The OSU Football team is a cash cow to hire coaches for other sports. Holtmann cashed in on his success at Butler and got a raise in salary without having to move to a different part of the country.

PU hired an alumni, so they chose Painter. He wins just enough at Purdue to keep his job. A PU lifer.

That's wishful thinking on your part. We have a new AD who cares more about basketball than our previous AD did. If he has a few more years of mediocre results or not making the tournament, I don't think Bobinski will hesitate to pull the plug. Don't get me started on how bad our previous AD was.

Reactions: nagemj02
You think he'll go 38-57 over the next 3 years? That's what Lickliter did at Iowa.
Maybe. They will suck this coming year and then he has to recruit his ass off for 18-19. Before you know it three years have passed and people start talking. He's got some obstacles right from the jump considering recent attrition, timing, etc.

Well, in fairness, there was a lot of optimism surrounding the program c. 2010, too. Remember "The Movement"? Now, I'm not saying we were wrong to be optimistic. We were (finally, at long last) getting a healthy share of high level commitments -- the likes of Zeller, Ferrell, Williams, VO, and HMP. And, to be sure, things definitely got better....we just never got to the level (and consistency) that we all wanted.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Archie Miller and the new era of IU basketball. But it will remain cautious for at least a few years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT