ADVERTISEMENT

hmmm....(updated with new and improved link)

I'm sure idiot had its place in history as a medical/legal term

that turned into an insult and was subsequently removed as an official 'label' for people with mental delays or disabilities.

Retard is kind of in the middle of that point right now. It was recently used as a medical/legal term, but was subsequently adopted into popular culture as an insult and is offensive to many people (including myself). It was probably never used 100 years ago to label mental capacity, and its time will probably pass.

I'm not completely above all this myself, cause I still laughed pretty hard at the whole Hangover 'ruhTARD' stuff from Galifianakis.

I agree with this. "retard" and "n-word" are not the same.

The medical terms for mental delays will change over time, and so will the adoption of those terms into popular language. In 100 years, 'retard' and 'idiot' might be interchangeable and offend nobody.

"n-word" will always mean what it means now, and will always be offensive.

That said, I still find "retard" to be offensive at this point in time.

I've told this story before ..

our bassplayer yelled ritardo over and over while a mentally handicapped kid was in front of the stage. It offended some, including his parents. It made me and others laugh our asses off, and it caused everyone who was playing to fall apart. We didn't laugh because the kid was handicapped, we laughed at all the people who became uncomfortable or offended.

And, I would never call anyone with a mental disorder anything. I only use it as an insult for people who are not mentally handicapped.

When you run out of things to say, you just call people racist

Here I thought you were joking, but you went for two things you knew I would find offensive. Do you act like this away from your computer? If so, I can see why you spend so much time here.

I knew a kid like you in high school. He used to get beat up a lot. I normally stood up for people that got picked on. I didn't like idiots that picked on people that were shy, weak, or different. I didn't try to help that one. He was on his own,

I never run out of things to say .. you would be foolish

er retarded, moronic, idiotic, asinine, mentally challenged (pick which ever offends you the most) to think so .

I've long suspected your racist tendencies, and you verified them today.

Intent ... carries more weight than any word. Your intent was to insult based on race.

THAT MAKES YOU A RACIST POS .. but you're probably too retarded to see it.

You're really gonna reply two separate times

to the same post? WTF is wrong with you? Seriously. Get some help. Like an entire team, working around the clock. smh You're truly bat$hit crazy.

The K-Ball incident involved a corrupt NFL official who has been fired:

B-J_4SLCAAAtj11.png

This post was edited on 2/18 4:41 PM by outside shooter

You never understood my point

You continue to use a phrase I find very offensive. I used "sneaky" because you mentioned it offended you a few days back. I had never heard that word as being offensive. I suppose it relates to Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor. Not that I have ever called an Asian person sneaky (except to try to make a point to you), I will note that it could be a term that is seen as offensive and not use it toward anyone of the Asian persuasion.

My use of "sneaky" was to show you that just because you don't think a word is offensive, it doesn't mean that is isn't. I learned sneaky can be offensive and made a note not to use it except to make a point in your case. You know "retard" is offensive yet keep using it. If my comment upset you and is racist you now understand how others feel about "retard". I am sorry if in making my point that you were offended. I am equally sorry if you don't see my point.

I am not any more racist than you are. I would challenge that a person that uses words that uses hurtful words towards other people for effect is just as bad as a racist comment.

I don't get all out of sorts about this kinda thing

but using it as an insult for people who are not mentally handicapped is still an insult to those with mental issues.

It's an offensive use of the word, regardless who you say it to. Just IMO.

Agreed it's offensive but that's why it's used ..

to offend.

It' just not as offensive as N***** .. which was the gist of this thread and something you agreed with.

Though I use that word too but only when talking to my black friends, but they use it in return but not with any malicious intent. And, again, intent is where it's at.

Is r-tard as offensive?

I hate the blanket banning of words. The word isn't the problem, it's just a tool. Just as a knife can take life or be useful, it's the person's intent and purpose while wielding the knife that matters.

Did you see my reply to you above?

I find it interesting that several people were offended by the word, and not a single person was offended by the fact that I compared someone's goofy facial expression to a genuine mental disability.

goat

You don't know me well enough to ever cross that line

your point, though a veil for your racist tendencies, was and is still transparent. I, unlike you, am not a retard. Or if you prefer. Moronic. Stupid. Dumb. Idiotic. Asinine. Clueless. Slack jawed. Dense. Slow witted. Slow. Doltish. Imbecilic. Vacuous. Vapid. Dopey. Daft. Is there a difference.

So no need to make excuses for your ignorance. I see you for what you truly are. A racist .. which makes you lower than any retard.

This post was edited on 2/18 4:55 PM by Guy_Fawkes

Yeah, I can't quite describe it

maybe because I agree with what you meant to say (regardless of how you said it). Crean's facial expression in pictures often makes him look like he's lacking mentally. The guy takes terrible photos.

I don't get the same vibe from him in live video, though.

Context.

When I have discussions with people about language, and we touch on the use of the n-word, I don't actually say, "N-word." I say the word itself. That's about the only context, except perhaps between friends who have an understanding (and out of the earshot of anyone else*), and in fact, I generally find the use of the phrase to be offensive itself, although for wildly different reasons, obviously.

goat

* I have one gay friend who I've always been able to call a "f*g," but I never did around anyone else who wasn't in on it. Just because I didn't offend him doesn't mean I wouldn't have offended them.

I know .. I got ya ..

and don't really disagree with you in anyway. I certainly use it to offend as did Goat..

I never thought of that.

But you're right, he doesn't look nearly as goofy when I, say, watch a press conference.

I get it, though. I've had people compliment my smile in person, but every picture of me looks like I'm a constipated Joker.

goat

Then don't use a word that you know offends me

And you don't know me well enough to call me a racist.

Your comment came first after you knew "retard" was offensive to me. I don't know if you have any compassion, but let me tell you why that term is offensive to me.

I have a cousin that is nearly the same age as my son. They are both big, strong kids that love sports. My cousin is autistic. He has a job, drives a car, and has done very well with a lot of work and good people working hard.

He competes in the Illinois Special Olympics. We saw him win a State Championship in the shot put and was a finalist in a running event. After the event, we went to celebrate. At the restaurant, someone he went to the same school with saw his medals around his neck and said, "way to go retard". Tyler's face went blank and I thought he was going to throw up. He went from being proud to embarrassed. Everyone was sick and it was hard to celebrate anything.

Maybe I should have used that story to demonstrate how hurtful that term is instead of the approach I took. I am not going to say I am sorry again, but I hope you know how powerful "retard" is to someone that has family with a mentally challenged person that they care for. Since it is impossible to know who those people are, don't use the word.

This post was edited on 2/18 5:18 PM by iubud

Wait - you said it was Colts-paranoia, now it's "corrupt NFL official."

You've got to make up your mind.

There's a component to the K-Ball incident that is very specific to the Patriots.

But I'm sure your NFL official buddy told you that.

It's really not the word then, and it's more about who wants to be offended

I get that is how this works, even though I think that constantly changing the name of some disadvantaged group is a fruitless exercise. In time, the new term will be old and somebody will want to change it again. (I swear someone is making money off of this!) midget--dwarf--little people....idiot--mentally retarded---mentally challenged--mentally handicapped.... I'm sure we could go on...

You really can't stop somebody he11bent on being offended from being offended. With that said, I wouldn't want to inadvertently offend someone in the normal course of everyday conversation, either. So, I guess one has to keep up with times, basically because everyone else is.

I don't have a lot of respect for people who pick on those who are weaker than them, but I don't have a lot of patience for those who constantly want to feel aggrieved. The use of words like "retard" fall somewhere on the spectrum depending on the context, imo. In other words, it's funny when Jeffry Ross gets on stage and says a lot of derogatory things about a celebrity at a celebrity roast, but you we would be appalled if he visited a children's hospital and said the same things to sick kids.

But I wanted to offend you Opie..

because you're dumb and naive, just like most muggles.

This post was edited on 2/18 5:41 PM by Guy_Fawkes

come out and say it then

As you know, K balls are

-unpacked new from the manufacturer by officials, not teams
-prepped by officials, not teams
-inflated by officials, not teams
-maintained under the control of officials, not teams

The only exception appears to be when a corrupt NFL official is covering up for a ball that he stole and he goes and finds a replacement!

A source reported in a Vegas newspaper a week ago that this investigation was more about league officials than about the Patriots. That was correct, it seems.
This post was edited on 2/18 6:11 PM by outside shooter

Nope, because there are

real people involved with real jobs (and real pay).

If that's not sufficient for you, well, that's on you, Mr. Anonymous Message Board poster.

But there is a component to K-Ball-Gate that points directly to the Patriots.

Whether the NFL reveals that (and all of the details of "DeflateGate" that date back long before the recently completed AFC Championship Game) will come down to relationship between Roger Goodell (otherwise known as "the employee") and Robert Kraft (otherwise known as "the boss").

I'll let you guess how that will turn out.

lol, you've got your excuses all lined up, to dismiss the exoneration

arguing with you is like arguing with a young Earth creationist

Glad you didn't let me down

I have been mulling over a decision. I just made it. Good bye.

Now hold on a second, splooge face.

You said "K-Ball Gate" was "Colts Paranoia Gate," then you said it was a "corrupt NFL official."

But you can't refute, despite the fact that you have a neighbor that is an NFL official, that there's a component of K-Ball Gate that points directly at the Patriots. Because that's an actual fact.

I'm dealing with real people that know what happened with K-Ball Gate and DeflateGate. You keep reaching for straws.

And when the guy (Kraft) that pays the other guy (Goodell) $40 million walks away losing a couple of draft picks and a $500K fine, you'll have splooge all over your face while you say you and the Pats were "vindicated."

And you'll still be the nebbish you've always been.

Actually...

...I was in a staff meeting on Monday and something was described as retarded. It was suggested that it wasn't politically correct to use that word, but agreed that the idea presented was in fact, retarded.

And no....Retard is not like the "N" word.

Annnnnnd there goes what little integrity

the NFL had left. Hopefully someone will report this and force their hand. Now the chances that happens? There are better odds of Crean coaching IU to consecutive undefeated seasons and not once pulling his pants past his nipples.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT