ADVERTISEMENT

hmmm....(updated with new and improved link)

No...it's not "about like using the N word."

Not even close.

Nice try, but they know what the original word was

It is up to them if you get to stay around. Maybe they will keep you around if you apologize and repent.

Perfect. An ad hominem. The ultimate tap-out

by the ultimate nebbish. Jeebus.

Why would that picture bother me? You're making less sense than normal, which is saying something.

Seriously? Are you a tattletale?

you're really calling him out for a bad word? That's fender level douchiness.

Win the argument on your own account. If you can.

K...use that word in a staff meeting and get back with me...

That word is as wrong to use as most of the other words that people know better to use theses days....

That woudl be dumb - as dumb as saying booger or fart ..

Go to a busy mall and scream both loudly - tell me they're the same ..

Please explain why...

Both are used as derogatory terms to put down a human being.

Ok....let's just say for the past several decades every circle

I've traveled in, particularly in educational environment, using that word would be treated much the same way as the N word. It's outdated and insulting. The fact that it's about CTC is what makes it ok in this instance, I'd guess. Carry on...

Go to a school and yell both

Same punishment for both words. Different punishment for nut sac, fart and booger. Actually, no punishment for fart and booger. Wouldn't have time to teach if everyone got punished for that.

One of the words is rooted in a history of oppression

which spanned several centuries and ripped entire cultures from their homelands, enslaved them, and even after "freeing" them, treated them as something slightly less than human for another century after that. To call someone a [rivals won't even allow it, even in this context] is to essentially call them an animal, not worthy of the same respect given to white people.

The other one is a word that no longer correctly reflects our understanding of mental disability, and therefore has recently become inappropriate in polite society. Calling someone a retard is to suggest their brain is retarded, literally, that it runs slower than the rest of us. That used to be an accurate way of describing the mentally handicapped, to the best of our limited understanding at the time.

goat

Depends on the school ... take Grambling St

for example. Or Southern U....

Not the same result ..

I get that teachers would probably be more concerned but still the power in the words is not close. One can get you killed, the other well ... not so much.

You nailed it (why you're wrong about this)

Yes, "retard" is outdated and insulting. If you think "the n-word*" is merely "outdated and insulting," you are not the progressive individual I thought you were.

goat

* I hate using that phrase.

I am with you on this

I have an autistic cousin and I have erased that word from my vocabulary. I don't mind bad language, unless used by a poster with the initials O.S. I do not like to hear the "r" word because it is very hurtful to people that have a child or loved one that is mentally challenged.

Oh, so you want to devote another day to Deflategate?

I thought I was doing everyone a favor. Well, have at it then. The OTF will suck worse than usual.

I'm with you on this, too

The dictionary definition actually considers its use (outside of uses like fire retardent) to be offensive and basically obsolete:

re·tard·ed (rəˈtärdəd/)

adjective: retarded
dated offensive
less advanced in mental, physical, or social development than is usual for one's age.

informal offensive
very foolish or stupid.
"in retrospect, it was a totally retarded idea"

I grew up using this word all the time, admittedly very ignorantly. Then I started dating Mrs. booyah, who had a cousin with Down's Syndrome. He grew up being mocked as a 'retard,' when he is actually one of the most caring people I know and is very intelligent based on the abilities he was born with. I've basically removed it from my vocabulary, and it has been removed from federal law in several places.

You guys are obviously free to continue saying it, and your use of it doesn't form my whole opinion of you, but just know that you sound like a complete douche when you do use it.

I'm genuinely shocked.

I would have thought the most offensive part of my post was when I specified that I actually thought CTC looked like an actual mentally handicapped person, not the word I chose to use in the subject line.

I guess this whole discussion is just more proof that vocabulary can be even more powerful than the language that contains it.

goat

Sure thing

I'll be ready with my cat like reflexes!
wink.r191677.gif

No one is denying that it's offensive to some..

but it is not anywhere close to N****** and it's retarded to say it is. Plus, unlike N***** very few mentally handicapped are described or called retard. It's instead reserved for the non mentally handicapped idiots of the world and their actions.

Questions:

Next time I jam I should inform the bassplayer to not use the word ritardo? Should he yell slow down instead as not to offend? (I've actually told him to before)

When the vender brings in flame retardant material and tells me that it retards heat should I correct him and tell him it's offensive to the mentally handicapped and the material should be called flame slowing?

If I call you mentally handicapped, slow, barely functional or stupid, is it any different than retard? Intent... is so important when it comes to words. Every word can be offensive if used correctly.

This post was edited on 2/18 2:29 PM by Guy_Fawkes

Here's why: We freely type and say the word "retarded"...

We don't even use the actual N word.

my neighbor, an NFL ref with a "snowbird" home in Florida,

has made a great number of things very clear to me.

He thinks that this is a witch hunt.

Same with the word "idiot."

But nobody cares if I call you an idiot.

Full Definition of IDIOT

usually offensive : a person affected with extreme mental retardation

: a foolish or stupid person
- idiot adjective

Both French from Latin ..

Idiot is actually the more offensive as it describes a mentally disabled person only, while retard is from retardus which means slow back... or to slow down.

I think I'll tell the bass player to yell idiot when he wants us to slow down. Sure it's incorrect, but at least no one will be offended.

like I said, uses like 'flame retardent' aren't offensive to me at all

so, why would I have any problem with you using ritardo in its proper context?

Likewise with flame retardent. Did you read my post at all?

And I think you're just being 'difficult,' and you & I both probably know the difference between calling somebody a 'retard' and calling something 'retardent' or otherwise slow (outside of cognitive ability).

If you're genuinely calling somebody a retard because of a legitimate/medical mental delay without any intended insult, then there's no difference in their meanings to me. However, the word now effectively functions primarily as an insult, whether intended or not. In most of the cases where I hear "he/that is retarded" it is meant as an insult either directly to a person, or to compare an object or situation to a stupid individual.

Like I said, keep using it all you want. It just makes the person using it sound like a giant douche in my opinion.

Delete - Duplicate post

This post was edited on 2/18 3:34 PM by iubud

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT