ADVERTISEMENT

High Ball Screen

Fred C. Dobbs

Freshman
Aug 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
IU employs multiple sets in which a forward sets a high ball screen at the top of the circle. In watching the Minnesota game, I observed that Minnesota guards had no trouble getting over the screen. Thad Matta always coached his teams to set a screen that targets the legs of the defender. IU seems to set a half-hearted screen targeting the body of the defender.

So, my assertion is that if IU set a hard nosed screen targeting the legs of the defender, IU's ball handler would clear the screen with the defender in his wake. This space would cause the defense to make choices leading to a good IU shot.

Is setting a good high ball screen not a point of emphasis with the coaching staff?

IU employs multiple sets in which a forward sets a high ball screen at the top of the circle. In watching the Minnesota game, I observed that Minnesota guards had no trouble getting over the screen. Thad Matta always coached his teams to set a screen that targets the legs of the defender. IU seems to set a half-hearted screen targeting the body of the defender.

So, my assertion is that if IU set a hard nosed screen targeting the legs of the defender, IU's ball handler would clear the screen with the defender in his wake. This space would cause the defense to make choices leading to a good IU shot.

Is setting a good high ball screen not a point of emphasis with the coaching staff?

I think you’re right but I also think the players are trying to avoid the dreaded moving screen call that used to plague us 3-4 times per game.

Reactions: Vern Pain
We need to set more flare screens and drag screens. You need to get the defenders moving towards the screens instead of trying to pick them
into one. I’d like to see more Zipper action too but now I’m just being real picky.

We need to set more flare screens and drag screens. You need to get the defenders moving towards the screens instead of trying to pick them
into one. I’d like to see more Zipper action too but now I’m just being real picky.
OMG you read a book ...

*high five*

Reactions: Coach Pete Bell
The sets I most remember involve handoffs. Everyone runs ball screens now a days, including IU. Screen angles and how the dribbler sets up and uses the screen dictate how effective they are. But a handoff is a very different action. And is designed to accomplish different things.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT