ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Marv . . .

CO. Hoosier

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2001
74612374007-20240730-222557407-i-os.jpg
Are you going to Estes Park this summer?

You may want to change plans. A 9,000 acre (and growing) fire burns near the mouth the Big Thompson canyon. Highway 34 is closed. The photo shows the Big T siphon for perspective.

4 fires burn along the Front Range, from this one to one west of Denver. No lightning to cause them. Much arson speculation.

You may want to change plans. A 9,000 acre (and growing) fire burns near the mouth the Big Thompson canyon. Highway 34 is closed. The photo shows the Big T siphon for perspective.

4 fires burn along the Front Range, from this one to one west of Denver. No lightning to cause them. Much arson speculation.

That sucks!

They ought to hang arsonists...

Suspect arrested for arson in Alexander Mountain fire

https://denvergazette.com/news/wild...cle_b862feb8-7076-11ef-8eb4-bbc0b7b4e635.html

(Via The Denver Gazette)

Here in Ohio, we've had the 4th dryest August since sometime in the 1800's. Ther state fire marshal is actually recommending no open flames in the Wayne county area (big reserve forest in Hocking Hills) just in case. Very uncommon for Ohio to be a forest fire danger area.

Ohio? Earlier this summer I was driving through there in July, I think, and ran into rain so hard I had to pull over on US35 around Washington Court House.

I don't think Indiana is particularly dry, is it? Ohio usually gets what Indiana gets.

Ohio? Earlier this summer I was driving through there in July, I think, and ran into rain so hard I had to pull over on US35 around Washington Court House.

I don't think Indiana is particularly dry, is it? Ohio usually gets what Indiana gets.
July was OK. August was really bad though. Zanesville, OH got a grand total of 0.17 inches total over the entire month. All the corn in the fields in my area are already brown and the soy is already turning. That's about 3 to 4 weeks early. I think it's a mostly central / SE Ohio issue (I know that Akron had a particularly wet summer, for example). I think it's just one of those years. Nothing climate-changey or anything.

July was OK. August was really bad though. Zanesville, OH got a grand total of 0.17 inches total over the entire month. All the corn in the fields in my area are already brown and the soy is already turning. That's about 3 to 4 weeks early. I think it's a mostly central / SE Ohio issue (I know that Akron had a particularly wet summer, for example). I think it's just one of those years. Nothing climate-changey or anything.
Indiana wine grape growers are loving the dry...

I just read that Indiana farmers are looking at a record or near-record crop this year.

Just strange.

Spring and early summer we had plenty of rain.

I missed this when I was away from the board for a couple of weeks. This year we are leaving in 10 days for Glacier and Banff so no Estes. How are things around Estes now?

Dry AF since mid-July. Less than 4.5 inches total since 7/11 according to my guage.

Reactions: UncleMark
Dry AF since mid-July. Less than 4.5 inches total since 7/11 according to my guage.
Hmmmmm..... doesn't seem to have hurt the crops any.

I know there have been storms that have moved through Carroll and Howard counties since then. I'm not doubting it, just surprised from my recollection of watching my Indiana weather.

Hmmmmm..... doesn't seem to have hurt the crops any.

I know there have been storms that have moved through Carroll and Howard counties since then. I'm not doubting it, just surprised from my recollection of watching my Indiana weather.
Most of that precip was in the middle of July in the form of a quick storm or two that dumped rain instead of any long soaking rains. I was just talking with my Dad last night and he was bitching about needing rain and that some of their beans didn't get what they needed when they needed it. Said the corn was mostly OK though.

Reactions: DANC
Most of that precip was in the middle of July in the form of a quick storm or two that dumped rain instead of any long soaking rains. I was just talking with my Dad last night and he was bitching about needing rain and that some of their beans didn't get what they needed when they needed it. Said the corn was mostly OK though.

I'm laughing not at you or your dad, but I spent my youth listening to my grandparents and uncles and friends complain about not enough rain in August. Or July. Or June. It's kind of a Hoosier tradition!

Hopefully he gets a good crop. Reports I've heard said it's supposed to be good, but I know it can be spotty.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT