ADVERTISEMENT

Here's what we need in the portal

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
After watching too much basketball the last month...its becoming increasingly clear that you don't "need" NBA size and talent level bigs to be successful in todays college game.

Gonzaga, Michigan, and Arizona, all with highly rated, really tall, NBA sized bigs...all got beat last night by teams that are made up of a bunch of 6'5 - 6'8, football player looking, wings. That isn't completely accurate, Arkansas' Williams is 6'10...but he rarely, if ever, posts up.

Duke ended up winning, but if it wasn't for their smallest player, they likely would have lost as well...to a team that didn't play anyone over 6'8.

So...when the dust settles on who's leaving...I hope we don't clamor for "bigs", just to get bigs (Assuming Race and TJD leave). Rather, I hope Woody fills every roster spot with the best, most athletic, wing players he can find. Football player looking wings that can guard all positions, knock down shots, rebound, and play tough, physical basketball.

I think we have one of those types of kids coming in, in JHS, which is great. And if Xavier stays, I think he fits the mold of a physical lead guard, that most of the teams I'm using as examples of what to do, have. Jordan and Race both would be good. TJD obviously. But for whatever open slots we end up having, go get Villanova/Houston/Texas Tech like wings, coach. Its what is winning games in the tournament these days.

Good observation. I’ve been thinking for awhile now that IU should model its recruiting after what Villanova does. Get a bunch of 4-stars who will stay at least 3 years, with the occasional 5-star sprinkled in, and develop them like crazy. One of my favorite tournament moments of recent years is seeing Mich St beat a Zion-led Duke team in the EE with a 5th-year SR/former walk-on hitting the game winning shot. Basically, a team of 20-22 year olds beat a team of 19 year olds. I’d like to see IU to consistently be the team of 20-22 year olds.

After watching too much basketball the last month...its becoming increasingly clear that you don't "need" NBA size and talent level bigs to be successful in todays college game.

Gonzaga, Michigan, and Arizona, all with highly rated, really tall, NBA sized bigs...all got beat last night by teams that are made up of a bunch of 6'5 - 6'8, football player looking, wings. That isn't completely accurate, Arkansas' Williams is 6'10...but he rarely, if ever, posts up.

Duke ended up winning, but if it wasn't for their smallest player, they likely would have lost as well...to a team that didn't play anyone over 6'8.

So...when the dust settles on who's leaving...I hope we don't clamor for "bigs", just to get bigs (Assuming Race and TJD leave). Rather, I hope Woody fills every roster spot with the best, most athletic, wing players he can find. Football player looking wings that can guard all positions, knock down shots, rebound, and play tough, physical basketball.

I think we have one of those types of kids coming in, in JHS, which is great. And if Xavier stays, I think he fits the mold of a physical lead guard, that most of the teams I'm using as examples of what to do, have. Jordan and Race both would be good. TJD obviously. But for whatever open slots we end up having, go get Villanova/Houston/Texas Tech like wings, coach. Its what is winning games in the tournament these days.
To be fair.......Michigan needed a couple of shooters. They had everything else.

Williams might not play in paint offensively, but like the prototype small NBA 5 generally, he defends it. Always amazes me how people discount D in their analysis generally. Also, your "knocking down shots" comment is dead on and the biggest thing we've struggled with on O. I'm worred about XJ taking a step back on 3pt % next year, as I think he's going to see better D without Stewart and Kopp, unless someone like Bates, or a portal arrival, really becomes a deadeye 3 pt threat. If both Stewart and Kopp leave, it's entirely possible we'll be a worse 3 pt shooting team next year... yikes! I like TJD, Race, XJ, Galloway and JG, but I don't think any of those guys have opposing coaches sweating about their shooting.

To be fair.......Michigan needed a couple of shooters. They had everything else.
Yep...not sure that goes against anything I said though? Unless you're saying they'd have won if they had Jordan Hulls, or someone like him. Then I'd have to disagree with you.

If those shooters were like Villanovas, then yeah. But that's because those shooters also come in the form of a guy that can guard all 5 positions, can handle the ball all over the court, can play physical, etc...

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Williams might not play in paint offensively, but like the prototype small NBA 5 generally, he defends it. Always amazes me how people discount D in their analysis generally. Also, your "knocking down shots" comment is dead on and the biggest thing we've struggled with on O. I'm worred about XJ taking a step back on 3pt % next year, as I think he's going to see better D without Stewart and Kopp, unless someone like Bates, or a portal arrival, really becomes a deadeye 3 pt threat. If both Stewart and Kopp leave, it's entirely possible we'll be a worse 3 pt shooting team next year... yikes! I like TJD, Race, XJ, Galloway and JG, but I don't think any of those guys have opposing coaches sweating about their shooting.
Not discounting anything. Williams was the 1 exception to my point. And he isn't a prototypical "TJD" like big, at all. He's just like the rest of their wings, he just happens to be 6'10...which means he'll play in the NBA very soon, Im sure.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Not discounting anything. Williams was the 1 exception to my point. And he isn't a prototypical "TJD" like big, at all. He's just like the rest of their wings, he just happens to be 6'10...which means he'll play in the NBA very soon, Im sure.
It’s all about guards and matchups more than just size.

Stewart is gone and I think Woody is going to scour the portal to get shooters. The past 11 games of the season, Stewart shot 29% from 3 and Kopp was probably just as bad or not much better, so I'm not worried about having a worse shooting team next year. The bar is very low and I have faith the coaching staff knows they need shooters and is going to do what it takes to find them.

Last night was the first time seeing Williams from Arkansas play. Man, that guy is a great defender and can also shoot the 3. I don't know what his draft stock is, but I bet it shot up after last night. I was very impressed.

It’s all about guards and matchups more than just size.
Yeah...kinda...but I wouldn't say Villanova or Houston or Texas Tech have dominant guards. Gillespie is really good, obviously. The Houston guards are solid, obviously. But none of them are NBA level talents. They're just much, much, much more physical and versatile than the teams they're playing.

Maybe that is your point though?

Yeah...kinda...but I wouldn't say Villanova or Houston or Texas Tech have dominant guards. Gillespie is really good, obviously. The Houston guards are solid, obviously. But none of them are NBA level talents. They're just much, much, much more physical and versatile than the teams they're playing.

Maybe that is your point though?
Pretty much. You get a guy that is a hard match up at the wing with solid guards your in business. I like physical guards that can rebound too. Arkansas guards rebound well. Guards that don’t make mistakes.

Reactions: IUNorth
Stewart is gone and I think Woody is going to scour the portal to get shooters. The past 11 games of the season, Stewart shot 29% from 3 and Kopp was probably just as bad or not much better, so I'm not worried about having a worse shooting team next year. The bar is very low and I have faith the coaching staff knows they need shooters and is going to do what it takes to find them.

Last night was the first time seeing Williams from Arkansas play. Man, that guy is a great defender and can also shoot the 3. I don't know what his draft stock is, but I bet it shot up after last night. I was very impressed.
maybe in B10 play, but at least according to ESPN site, Stewart was our best 3pt % at 39%... XJ at 38% and Kopp at 36%. And, remember Parker and Kopp were brought here to be knock down guys, so even if we get guys who are supposed to be 3pt shooters, there's no guarantee.

Pretty much. You get a guy that is a hard match up at the wing with solid guards your in business. I like physical guards that can rebound too. Arkansas guards rebound well. Guards that don’t make mistakes.
AR's PG Notae looked like early season XJ. Eleven TO's, 14-47 from the field the last 2 games. They won't beat Duke if he puts up numbers like that again.

Reactions: turney333
I think you can still play a traditional big if you have floor spacing around him. IUs offense was just so cramped because lack of shooting.

I think you can still play a traditional big if you have floor spacing around him. IUs offense was just so cramped because lack of shooting.
You for sure can. My main point was that you don't "have to" any more. So if TJD and Race leave, all hope is not lost if we don't land another 6'9-6'10, All BigTen level big. If we replace them with versatile, strong, athletic wings.

I'm still assuming TJD and Race are gone, same with Miller...if that's the case here's my "wish list"

Guys that I'd really want to stay:

Xavier
Jordan
Trey
Tamar
Anthony

New Frosh:
JHS
Kaleb
CJ
The Renaue kid

Transfers/other frosh:
1 guy that's capable of guarding and rebounding against other teams bigs
2-3 other 6'5 to 6'7, strong, athletic, wings, that can knock down open shots

This, I think, is very realistic, and would win a lot of basketball games next year.

If TJD and Race do both come back. Then that just means we fill the remaining 1-2 slots with those football player wings Ive been harping on all morning.

Somehow I can't envision ALL of TJD, Race, and Jordan coming back though. As much as I'd like them to.

Yep...not sure that goes against anything I said though? Unless you're saying they'd have won if they had Jordan Hulls, or someone like him. Then I'd have to disagree with you.

If those shooters were like Villanovas, then yeah. But that's because those shooters also come in the form of a guy that can guard all 5 positions, can handle the ball all over the court, can play physical, etc...
I think their BHing was ok with Jones & Brooks.......put the Robinson kid from several years ago in with this team and they would have won last night. So.....they don't all have to be handlers.

You for sure can. My main point was that you don't "have to" any more. So if TJD and Race leave, all hope is not lost if we don't land another 6'9-6'10, All BigTen level big. If we replace them with versatile, strong, athletic wings.
I agree on this. Plus, it would be a jolt to other conference teams.

I'm still assuming TJD and Race are gone, same with Miller...if that's the case here's my "wish list"

Guys that I'd really want to stay:

Xavier
Jordan
Trey
Tamar
Anthony

New Frosh:
JHS
Kaleb
CJ
The Renaue kid

Transfers/other frosh:
1 guy that's capable of guarding and rebounding against other teams bigs
2-3 other 6'5 to 6'7, strong, athletic, wings, that can knock down open shots

This, I think, is very realistic, and would win a lot of basketball games next year.

If TJD and Race do both come back. Then that just means we fill the remaining 1-2 slots with those football player wings Ive been harping on all morning.

Somehow I can't envision ALL of TJD, Race, and Jordan coming back though. As much as I'd like them to.
We don't appear to have much of a shot with Reneau(sp?) if a couple of the other IU boards are correct. They are saying he wants to stay in Florida.

Concerning the athletic wings, we do appear to be seriously looking at the 6'6" '22 kid from Florida. It doesn't appear we're after any other '22 HS kids.

We don't appear to have much of a shot with Reneau(sp?) if a couple of the other IU boards are correct. They are saying he wants to stay in Florida.

Concerning the athletic wings, we do appear to be seriously looking at the 6'6" '22 kid from Florida. It doesn't appear we're after any other '22 HS kids.
Hadn’t read that info on Reneau.

There likely will be quite a few midsize, athletic, wings in the portal. Texas Tech filled out an entire team with them last year and won 25 games and went to the sweet 16 with them.

Hadn’t read that info on Reneau.

There likely will be quite a few midsize, athletic, wings in the portal. Texas Tech filled out an entire team with them last year and won 25 games and went to the sweet 16 with them.
I agree that there are a LOT of 6'7"/6'8" wings in the transfer portal....just need to find the right ones. Now if you're looking for 6'10" rim protectors......that's another matter.

Agree with much of that. But Duke beat TT in large part because they have great rim protection from Williams at 6’ 11 and Banchero at 6’ 10. Had TT had similar length at the rim, those Duke guards would not have been scoring around the rim all night.
And although the Arkansas 6’10 guy doesn’t post up, he is a strong rim protector and controlled Timme from taking over the 2nd half.
If TJD and/or Race leave, we have to find length besides JG to guard at the rim.

Reactions: jestyles

Texas Tech and Houston shot 28% and 31% from 3 respectively in conference play. I think that with the extension of the 3pt line, we are seeing really good defensive teams overcome their lack of knockdown shooting. The difference between those two and IU is that their players were more willing to shoot it. Well, Houston will put it up, while TT shot the 3 about as much as IU.

Indiana- shot 31.9% in B10 play, but ranked 324th in the nation in 3pt attempt rate
Houston- shot 31.7 in Amer play, and ranked 144th in the nation in 3pt attempt rate
Texas Tech- shot 28% in B12 play and ranked 264th in the nation in 3pt attempt rate

Last edited:

Here's another one to check out...

Arkansas shot 31.9 in SEC play, and ranked 316th in the nation in 3pt attempt rate!

Arkansas shot an identical 3pt% as IU and even put them up at virtually the same rate. IU fans see the Hoosiers outside shooting as an impossible roadblock to success, while the pigs are playing to go to New Orleans.

This is why I think Woody wasn't as concerned with %'s as he was the players stepping up and taking them.

I think what IU needed most was the ability to score in a wider variety of ways. If Bates would have been ready to start and Galloway healthy we would have had a team that could get buckets all over the floor. Woody is not willing to sacrifice defense and I'm thumbs up that, but IU's defense was erratic this year. Hopefully in year two consistency sets in and we look a little bit more like Tech and Houston on that end.

These many teams that shoot as poorly from 3 as IU and yet are succeeding (Houston, Arkansas, Texas Tech, etc.)... I would assuming that overall their offensive efficiency must be a LOT higher, right? Especially since IU's defensive efficiency was quite good.

Maybe it's that we can't shoot 2's either.

So IU should go with small ball? If only we still had Crean.....vbg

OK I decided to answer my own question

Offensive efficiency:
Houston ranked 9th
Texas Tech ranked 90th
Arkansas ranked 112th
IU ranked 150th

Defensive efficiency:
Houston ranked 3rd
Texas Tech ranked 2nd
Arkansas ranked 22nd
IU ranked 54th

So the teams that shoot the 3 as poorly as IU all have more efficent offenses overall, and they even have more efficient defenses overall. Their success is no accident, they are good on O and on D without being reliant on the 3-ball.

Reactions: BigMobe

Offensive efficiency:
Houston ranked 9th
Texas Tech ranked 90th
Arkansas ranked 112th
IU ranked 150th

Defensive efficiency:
Houston ranked 3rd
Texas Tech ranked 2nd
Arkansas ranked 22nd
IU ranked 54th

So the teams that shoot the 3 as poorly as IU all have more effciient offenses overall and even have more efficient defenses overall
IU simply lacked bucket getters last year, more so than perimeter shooting. When 2/3 of your backcourt can't manufacture their own shot it's a problem. I much more concerned with finding guys in the portal who can get to the hoop and put the ball in the basket than trying to find the next Ray Allen.

These many teams that shoot as poorly from 3 as IU and yet are succeeding (Houston, Arkansas, Texas Tech, etc.)... I would assuming that overall their offensive efficiency must be a LOT higher, right? Especially since IU's defensive efficiency was quite good.

Maybe it's that we can't shoot 2's either.

Offensive efficiency:
Houston ranked 9th
Texas Tech ranked 90th
Arkansas ranked 112th
IU ranked 150th

Defensive efficiency:
Houston ranked 3rd
Texas Tech ranked 2nd
Arkansas ranked 22nd
IU ranked 54th

So the teams that shoot the 3 as poorly as IU all have more efficent offenses overall, and they even have more efficient defenses overall. Their success is no accident, they are good on O and on D without being reliant on the 3-ball.
Sorry man, I didn't see your response, but yeah it looks like you found your own answers just fine.

Houston is Top 10 in both Off. and Def. Eff, while the other two are only elite on the defensive end. Arkansas and Tech are just average offensively for a Power conf school. IU ranking as low as it did offensively is a bit embarrassing and obviously can't continue.

IU's defense was elite at times and just average quite a bit too. The main problem on D, I thought is that often it seemed that teams got what they wanted down the stretch after struggling all game. Maybe it was tired legs, because they were only really good defensively with certain combinations. Hopefully, next year we can go deeper without as much drop off and finish games as strong as we need to be finishing.

I'm looking at those teams more today, as I've got a dislocated patella and can't do anything else, but wait for the game. If I see anything else that I think is interesting, I'll post it up

Reactions: .Gerdis

What's increasingly clear is that you don't need the portal, recruit!!!!!!!!!!

So who guards Ethan Happ? Lula Garza? Kofi Cockburn? Bruno Fernando? Frank Kaminski, Hunter Dickinson, or any of Purdue's 7+ guys?

The main problem on D, I thought is that often it seemed that teams got what they wanted down the stretch after struggling all game. Maybe it was tired legs, because they were only really good defensively with certain combinations. Hopefully, next year we can go deeper without as much drop off and finish games as strong as we need to be finishing.

I'm looking at those teams more today, as I've got a dislocated patella and can't do anything else, but wait for the game. If I see anything else that I think is interesting, I'll post it up
It’s easy to get down into the weeds and wonder about a percentage here, or a half a percentage there.

in the end, and you mention this above when speaking about the D, you have to finish.

IU’s biggest problem last year was that we were a team that had a thin margin of error that wasn’t good at closing games, Closing games can come down to luck, but it is a skill in that it is a learned response. In other words, you can find ways to lose, or find ways to win, and you can learn to be a team that does one or the other.

We lost a bunch of close games, and there are many ways that a team can find a way to lose. A missed defensive assignment here, a turnover there, a missed free throw there. It may be tired legs as you say, it could be mental fatigue, it could be personality (mental toughness, confidence, etc)

Many of our late problems were mistakes. A turnover, a missed switch, etc. but some are missed plays that can be made (look at how a Johnny Davis pulled Ws out of the hat for the Badgers). For example, I would be happy if we shot the same percentage from three this year, if I knew we were hitting daggers late.

In a nutshell:

clean up the late mistakes. Add a playmaker. Excel on the mental side of the game.

we do these three things and we’ll be better than fine.

It’s easy to get down into the weeds and wonder about a percentage here, or a half a percentage there.

in the end, and you mention this above when speaking about the D, you have to finish.

IU’s biggest problem last year was that we were a team that had a thin margin of error that wasn’t good at closing games, Closing games can come down to luck, but it is a skill in that it is a learned response. In other words, you can find ways to lose, or find ways to win, and you can learn to be a team that does one or the other.

We lost a bunch of close games, and there are many ways that a team can find a way to lose. A missed defensive assignment here, a turnover there, a missed free throw there. It may be tired legs as you say, it could be mental fatigue, it could be personality (mental toughness, confidence, etc)

Many of our late problems were mistakes. A turnover, a missed switch, etc. but some are missed plays that can be made (look at how a Johnny Davis pulled Ws out of the hat for the Badgers). For example, I would be happy if we shot the same percentage from three this year, if I knew we were hitting daggers late.

In a nutshell:

clean up the late mistakes. Add a playmaker. Excel on the mental side of the game.

we do these three things and we’ll be better than fine.
In addition to recruiting and the Admin BS, putting the players in position to win late is one of the learning aspects for Woodson. Winning late in the BIG is a very different animal than winning late in the NBA.

For all of his virtues, TJD was not that guy that you put the ball in his hands and he gets the late W. We saw way to much hero ball from X late that didn't get it done. Next year has to be different from this perspective if IU wants to challenge for a high finish in the league and a reasonable seed.

What's increasingly clear is that you don't need the portal, recruit!!!!!!!!!!
with the fluid roster situation, every team will absolutely need portal players. You can't count on getting highly rated recruits in the spring from players rescending commits because their coach left. Nice it's happened for us a couple times in the last 2 years, but if we hadn't gotten Bates or Renneau, we'd likely have tabbed another player in the portal. It's worked out for us, but that doesn't mean it will, and players will certainly continue to leave and transfer at much higher rates, and most teams will need portal players to fill those gaps at some point. Gotta avail yourself of all opportunities.

with the fluid roster situation, every team will absolutely need portal players. You can't count on getting highly rated recruits in the spring from players rescending commits because their coach left. Nice it's happened for us a couple times in the last 2 years, but if we hadn't gotten Bates or Renneau, we'd likely have tabbed another player in the portal. It's worked out for us, but that doesn't mean it will, and players will certainly continue to leave and transfer at much higher rates, and most teams will need portal players to fill those gaps at some point. Gotta avail yourself of all opportunities.
I will go this far with this...the better one recruits, the less one needs the portal and vice versa. But you have to use the portal.

So who guards Ethan Happ? Lula Garza? Kofi Cockburn? Bruno Fernando? Frank Kaminski, Hunter Dickinson, or any of Purdue's 7+ guys?
Pick any of the bigs from Villanova, Texas Tech, Baylor, Houston, etc...

Pick any of the bigs from Villanova, Texas Tech, Baylor, Houston, etc...
I still like having a big on the roster, but I've accepted this is how bball is played now. The difference in them and us is they all have guys who can consistently seek and knock down the 3. That's the big missing ingredient for us in playing "modern" ball, and it has to be addressed. Frankly, I don't think we have so far with our additions, so we better have some guys living in the gym. Don't see a knock down guy in the bunch, but we need several guys to make a jump in their 3 pt shooting %.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT