ADVERTISEMENT

Here's the ridiculous BTT situation.

frikkenfrakken

All-Big Ten
Jan 14, 2005
There's a pretty likely scenario where IU finishes 10-10 in the BIG and plays in the 11-14 game on Wednesday.

PU, MICH, and Rutgers are all expected to end at 10-10. We will be a pickem, or close to it vs. Wisky. We probably end in a 4 way tie for 8th if we win. We went 0-4 against that group, and would fall to the 11 seed on tiebreakers.

Basically, the only way we don't play on Wednesday is if Rutgers wins at Mackey or Nebraska wins at Michigan. 50\50 shot we win 20 games and get the 11 seed--in our own conference tournament. Wtf...

Reactions: 82hoosier
In reality, we need 20 wins. If that doesn't come at Wisconsin, and considering our history.....do we think we're more likely to get win #20 in the 2nd round of the B1G tourney? As much as I would love a tourney title, I'd rather be realistic. Let's get the easier win and hope to sneak out another.

Wisconsin is a must win if we lose we will have to win 2 in the big ten tourny. If we win and beat Nebraska were in..

Stop it. We are in.
ESTVMQ5XYAM_uRr

So, we were last four in before last night (as signified by the blue)?
Even using the most pessimistic bracketology you could find, we are in. Stop it.

I'd say we probably are in. I don't want to test it and end our regular season with 2 straight losses. I thought if we beat MN, it would take some of the pressure off playing WI, and we'd probably play looser and better. This team should need no extra motivation to want to beat WI (or PU) after the way they've owned us. Would it kill us for once to do something the easy way and just win a couple?

I'd say we probably are in. I don't want to test it and end our regular season with 2 straight losses. I thought if we beat MN, it would take some of the pressure off playing WI, and we'd probably play looser and better. This team should need no extra motivation to want to beat WI (or PU) after the way they've owned us. Would it kill us for once to do something the easy way and just win a couple?

I’d bet the ranch we are in Dayton if we lose the next 2.

Reactions: outlawyer

I'll defer to you on placement, but wouldn't Dayton be a likely spot regardless? I think we'd be in, but we really need to win at least 1 more, if nothing else, just for this team's psyche. I think we're more talented than PU and WI, but both teams believe in themselves more.

Our team just seems to float along and take whatever happens without taking control. 10 pt lead? Cool. Oops, 6 straight empty possessions and down 1 at the half? OK.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
call me crazy, but I kinda like the current tourney pairings....to get to Sunday, we would have to beat Nebraska (beat them), Iowa (beat them), and ILL (should have beat them).

as for playing consecutive days....I'm tired of that excuse. These are 18-22 yr old superior athletes, and we have a deep team.

call me crazy, but I kinda like the current tourney pairings....to get to Sunday, we would have to beat Nebraska (beat them), Iowa (beat them), and ILL (should have beat them).

as for playing consecutive days....I'm tired of that excuse. These are 18-22 yr old superior athletes, and we have a deep team.

In this years Big Ten I too think that is as easy of a road as you could ask for. I'll call it unlikely, but man would that be a fun weekend in Indy.

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and MrBing
Beat Wisconsin..
Indiana's name is called on selection Sunday period..
No what happens in the BTT ..
yes we punch our ticket if we beat Bucky on Saturday. Another solid quad 1 win. Regardless if we flop next week in the B1G. I just hope we see some real intensity in our players Saturday. I wasn't impressed with the team energy during the first half last night. Can't happen vs UW.....being down 10 pts to them feels more like being down 20 to any other team.

Last edited:
Beat Wisconsin..
Indiana's name is called on selection Sunday period..
No what happens in the BTT ..
We're probably in now but winning Saturday makes IU a total lock. But I want IU to win Saturday and win the BTT and see IU's seed climb. Of course it's a long shot but we'd really enjoy that ride! :D

We're not in until they call our name. I believe we have more work to do. Home losses to Arkansas and Maryland (up 4 with 1 min to play) were bad losses. So was PU but we weren't competitive in either game.
I'm not comfortable we're in regardless of the projected brackets. Too many tournaments with potential upsets left to play.
Go Hoosiers!

We're not in until they call our name. I believe we have more work to do. Home losses to Arkansas and Maryland (up 4 with 1 min to play) were bad losses. So was PU but we weren't competitive in either game.
I'm not comfortable we're in regardless of the projected brackets. Too many tournaments with potential upsets left to play.
Go Hoosiers!
losing to this yr's MD team isn't really that bad for our resume. However...the fashion in which we lost that game....yeah, that was real bad. Choke job. We're already comfortably in the NCAA tourney if we hold on to that game.

The home loss to Ark was much worse. They are now 19-11 but in 10th place in the SEC and likely an NIT team. We just died in the 2nd half of that game.

Reactions: mobilehoosier
losing to this yr's MD team isn't really that bad for our resume. However...the fashion in which we lost that game....yeah, that was real bad. Choke job. We're already comfortably in the NCAA tourney if we hold on to that game.

The home loss to Ark was much worse. They are now 19-11 but in 10th place in the SEC and likely an NIT team. We just died in the 2nd half of that game.
That loss hurt more than any loss this year. I hated to see IU blow a near sure thing victory. Yes if IU won that game IU is a total lock right now irregardless of the next two games.

Reactions: mobilehoosier
There's a pretty likely scenario where IU finishes 10-10 in the BIG and plays in the 11-14 game on Wednesday.

PU, MICH, and Rutgers are all expected to end at 10-10. We will be a pickem, or close to it vs. Wisky. We probably end in a 4 way tie for 8th if we win. We went 0-4 against that group, and would fall to the 11 seed on tiebreakers.

Basically, the only way we don't play on Wednesday is if Rutgers wins at Mackey or Nebraska wins at Michigan. 50\50 shot we win 20 games and get the 11 seed--in our own conference tournament. Wtf...
Whats “ridiculous” about that scenario? It’s entirely plausible and appropriate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Radio Zero
Whats “ridiculous” about that scenario? It’s entirely plausible and appropriate.
An event can be plausible, appropriate, and ridiculous.

It's a very peculiar record distribution among the teams for a .500 team to draw the 11 seed in 14 team league. 7th or 8th would be normal.

Has a .500 team ever fallen that low in our conference?

It's a very peculiar record distribution among the teams for a .500 team to draw the 11 seed in 14 team league. 7th or 8th would be normal.

Answer: no. Hell, in 2011, a .500 team got the 4 seed, in part because there were only 11 teams.

Last year, Iowa was a 6 seed in the BTT...but we'll perhaps get an 11.

That situation is certainly crazy as far as BTT seeding is concerned. On the other hand, this is the penalty you receive when you don't take care of business. Unfortunately, this isn't the Democrat Presidential Primary where they appear to change the rules week to week, to benefit their chosen one.

Reactions: ufo33

Not sure where “ridiculous” resides in all this, as 20 game conference schedules overwhelmingly tend to disperse teams with a high degree of appropriateness. I do think there’s a misguided notion that the Big Ten is very strong this year, rather than an example of somewhat mediocre parity.

Not sure where “ridiculous” resides in all this, as 20 game conference schedules overwhelmingly tend to disperse teams with a high degree of appropriateness. I do think there’s a misguided notion that the Big Ten is very strong this year, rather than an example of somewhat mediocre parity.
So, to recap, IU is going to get the 11 seed in the BTT, while perhaps going .500 in conference, and your big contribution is you think I used the word ridiculous inappropriately.

I didn't, but whatever, this argument isn't worth having. Enjoy the last word on the subject.

So, to recap, IU is going to get the 11 seed in the BTT, while perhaps going .500 in conference, and your big contribution is you think I used the word ridiculous inappropriately.

I didn't, but whatever, this argument isn't worth having. Enjoy the last word on the subject.
The only person arguing is you. If you’re looking for “ridiculous”, there it is.

What’s ridiculous about it? If the best we can do is finish 11th out of 14 schools (2/3 of them being football schools) then we deserve to play Wednesday.

Big surprise, all the haterzzz suddenly don't understand what ridiculous means. For years, they've had all the answers, but you use one 4 syllable word on them all they have are questions.

What’s ridiculous about it? If the best we can do is finish 11th out of 14 schools (2/3 of them being football schools) then we deserve to play Wednesday.
How often have you seen a .500 conference team get an 11 seed in a 14 team league.

If I predicted a .500 record and an 11 seed before the season every one woulda said, that ridiculous!

Stop wasting my time you hack.

Ya...290lbs and a separate 7'3 have nothing to do with our inside players struggling against Purdue. Have you noticed Joey seems to play a lot better when he isn't giving up 40+pounds to the guy he is going against? Inside in this league is rough....

I'll defer to you on placement, but wouldn't Dayton be a likely spot regardless? I think we'd be in, but we really need to win at least 1 more, if nothing else, just for this team's psyche. I think we're more talented than PU and WI, but both teams believe in themselves more.

Our team just seems to float along and take whatever happens without taking control. 10 pt lead? Cool. Oops, 6 straight empty possessions and down 1 at the half? OK.

That would not be a bad bet. The NCAA loves to set up games for ratings. Sending Archie to Dayton for a play in game is very possible. But I don't think they lose the next 2 so it won't happen.

The seeding situation is a result of the Big 10 being so evenly matched. Conferences usually have 3-4 really good teams and 3-4 really bad ones. There are 9 teams that are pretty much the same. Not really good but also not really bad. Average teams who beat each others brains out. Even the top 3 are not what would be considered really good. Just slightly better than the group of 9.

Big surprise, all the haterzzz suddenly don't understand what ridiculous means. For years, they've had all the answers, but you use one 4 syllable word on them all they have are questions.
You just didn’t present a compelling argument. Don’t blame others for your shortcoming.

That would not be a bad bet. The NCAA loves to set up games for ratings. Sending Archie to Dayton for a play in game is very possible. But I don't think they lose the next 2 so it won't happen.

The seeding situation is a result of the Big 10 being so evenly matched. Conferences usually have 3-4 really good teams and 3-4 really bad ones. There are 9 teams that are pretty much the same. Not really good but also not really bad. Average teams who beat each others brains out. Even the top 3 are not what would be considered really good. Just slightly better than the group of 9.

Big ten has three tiers IMO. Minny NW and Nebraska as bottom of the barrel. MSU Wisconsin Maryland final 4 caliber. Everyone else sweeet 16 capable. There in lies the original bet I was gonna make with you. You will thank me in a few weeks you didn’t make it btw. No chance the big doesn’t send someone to the final 4 and there are gonna be a slew of them in the sweet 16. Just wait!

Reactions: Crono
Big ten has three tiers IMO. Minny NW and Nebraska as bottom of the barrel. MSU Wisconsin Maryland final 4 caliber. Everyone else sweeet 16 capable. There in lies the original bet I was gonna make with you. You will thank me in a few weeks you didn’t make it btw. No chance the big doesn’t send someone to the final 4 and there are gonna be a slew of them in the sweet 16. Just wait!

Your 3 tiers is very accurate.

At worst I would have been even in that bet. At best I win all 4. I seriously doubt 1 team to the FF. 2 is just not happening. Same with 6 to the sweet 16.

The Big 10 does not have good teams. They have evenly matched teams. You're right there are going to be a slew of them in. But watch out. They will be falling like dominoes.

The only reason I would hedge one bit is the fact that there will be so many of them in. Good chance there will be plenty of Big 10 vs Big 10 matchups. In that case one of them will have to win and move on.

Your 3 tiers is very accurate.

At worst I would have been even in that bet. At best I win all 4. I seriously doubt 1 team to the FF. 2 is just not happening. Same with 6 to the sweet 16.

The Big 10 does not have good teams. They have evenly matched teams. You're right there are going to be a slew of them in. But watch out. They will be falling like dominoes.

The only reason I would hedge one bit is the fact that there will be so many of them in. Good chance there will be plenty of Big 10 vs Big 10 matchups. In that case one of them will have to win and move on.

Those match ups won’t happen until the sweet 16 at the earliest. It was gonna be 5 teams that have to get in for me to win both bets in the sweet 16. I am very very confident that will happen.

Maryland
Wisconsin
MSU
OSU
Penn state
ILL will be favored In both the 1st and second round games I bet.

MI
Iowa favored in game one prob underdogs round 2

IU
Rutgers
Maybe PU 50/50 in opening round games underdogs round 2.

5 are gonna make it!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT