ADVERTISEMENT

Here's the article on the Louisville/IU exhibition on Sunday...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
They split the two games. Two transfer players were noted for their performance in the exhibition in Louisville transfer Korbyn Dickerson and Southern Indiana transfer Gavin Seebold. The article includes box scores for both "games."

Reactions: Orford and jseebold
I just listened to this, and was pretty confused in looking at the box score: Mercer interview

Apparently, the box score is incorrect. I kept trying to figure out what Matt he was talking about because it didn't match up with anyone in the box score. I figured out it was Matt Bohnert and then he said later in the interview how they shut down Kraft because he threw so much in the summer. So I'm guessing Bohnert threw that inning, and not Kraft.

Reactions: jseebold
I just listened to this, and was pretty confused in looking at the box score: Mercer interview

Apparently, the box score is incorrect. I kept trying to figure out what Matt he was talking about because it didn't match up with anyone in the box score. I figured out it was Matt Bohnert and then he said later in the interview how they shut down Kraft because he threw so much in the summer. So I'm guessing Bohnert threw that inning, and not Kraft.
I noticed that Pyne didn't make an appearance so I don't know if he is dealing with an issue or they just decided to hold him out in a coach's decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bucket Getter
Here is D1Baseball's summary of the exhibition.

+ Indiana played 16 innings against Louisville last weekend, and though the Hoosiers were outscored by a combined 10-7 total against the Cardinals, they had to come away feeling fairly good about having played mostly clean baseball throughout the entire day.

+ The star of the day offensively for Indiana was redshirt sophomore outfielder Korbyn Dickerson, who happens to be a Louisville transfer. After striking out in his first at-bat of the exhibition, he hit for the cycle in order in his next four at-bats. The athletic outfielder was a 20th-round draft pick of the Twins out of high school and was a prize recruit in Louisville’s 2022 class. Perhaps the change of scenery will help him reach his potential.

+ It wasn’t necessarily a standout day at the plate for Indiana star outfielder Devin Taylor, but he had his best result against the best arm he saw all day—Louisville ace Patrick Forbes. The Cardinals’ righthander threw a 96-mph fastball on the first pitch of the at-bat, and Taylor lined it the other way for a single.

+ Sophomore second baseman Jasen Oliver barreled the ball up as well as anyone other than Dickerson for Indiana. His first three at-bats ended with barreled balls. The first was a hard lineout to center, the second was a single and the third was a lineout right at the second baseman. He batted .285/.362/.529 with 10 homers as a freshman, and could make another jump as a sophomore.

+ It was mostly a tough day at the plate for freshman third baseman Cooper Malamazian, but along the way it was clear that he’s got a chance to be an instant-impact player for the Hoosiers. The unsigned 17th-round draft pick is a good athlete at 6-foot-1 and 185 pounds, an above-average runner, boasts a strong arm at the hot corner and has plenty of raw power, with more likely to come.

+ Senior Southern Indiana transfer righthander Gavin Seebold got the start for Indiana, and he cruised through two scoreless frames, working with a fastball from 99-93 mph.

+ In terms of raw arm strength, the best the Hoosiers showed last Sunday was junior righthander Will Eldridge, a transfer from NAIA Indiana Wesleyan. Working exclusively from the stretch, he threw his fastball up to 95 mph, though he did struggle to command it and Louisville hitters timed it up when it was in the zone.

+ Freshman righthander Henry Brummel is a name to file away. He looks the part at 6-foot-4 and 200 pounds, and he already has good stuff at present, with a fastball at 93-94 mph and a mid-80s slider.

Note: I assume that was a typo on Seebold's fastball and was supposed to be 89-93.

Here is D1Baseball's summary of the exhibition.

+ Indiana played 16 innings against Louisville last weekend, and though the Hoosiers were outscored by a combined 10-7 total against the Cardinals, they had to come away feeling fairly good about having played mostly clean baseball throughout the entire day.

+ The star of the day offensively for Indiana was redshirt sophomore outfielder Korbyn Dickerson, who happens to be a Louisville transfer. After striking out in his first at-bat of the exhibition, he hit for the cycle in order in his next four at-bats. The athletic outfielder was a 20th-round draft pick of the Twins out of high school and was a prize recruit in Louisville’s 2022 class. Perhaps the change of scenery will help him reach his potential.

+ It wasn’t necessarily a standout day at the plate for Indiana star outfielder Devin Taylor, but he had his best result against the best arm he saw all day—Louisville ace Patrick Forbes. The Cardinals’ righthander threw a 96-mph fastball on the first pitch of the at-bat, and Taylor lined it the other way for a single.

+ Sophomore second baseman Jasen Oliver barreled the ball up as well as anyone other than Dickerson for Indiana. His first three at-bats ended with barreled balls. The first was a hard lineout to center, the second was a single and the third was a lineout right at the second baseman. He batted .285/.362/.529 with 10 homers as a freshman, and could make another jump as a sophomore.

+ It was mostly a tough day at the plate for freshman third baseman Cooper Malamazian, but along the way it was clear that he’s got a chance to be an instant-impact player for the Hoosiers. The unsigned 17th-round draft pick is a good athlete at 6-foot-1 and 185 pounds, an above-average runner, boasts a strong arm at the hot corner and has plenty of raw power, with more likely to come.

+ Senior Southern Indiana transfer righthander Gavin Seebold got the start for Indiana, and he cruised through two scoreless frames, working with a fastball from 99-93 mph.

+ In terms of raw arm strength, the best the Hoosiers showed last Sunday was junior righthander Will Eldridge, a transfer from NAIA Indiana Wesleyan. Working exclusively from the stretch, he threw his fastball up to 95 mph, though he did struggle to command it and Louisville hitters timed it up when it was in the zone.

+ Freshman righthander Henry Brummel is a name to file away. He looks the part at 6-foot-4 and 200 pounds, and he already has good stuff at present, with a fastball at 93-94 mph and a mid-80s slider.

Note: I assume that was a typo on Seebold's fastball and was supposed to be 89-93.
Yes it is :)

Nice to see Hogan Denny at the top of the lineup in both games with 2 hits and a walk. Kid is a true baseball player. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up getting innings on defense. He can play virtually anywhere. His bat and speed on the bases is legit. We are going to love watching him play.

Reactions: jseebold
Nice to see Hogan Denny at the top of the lineup in both games with 2 hits and a walk. Kid is a true baseball player. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up getting innings on defense. He can play virtually anywhere. His bat and speed on the bases is legit. We are going to love watching him play.
Totally agree. I’ve been to both scrimmages. This kid is going to be a star! Has great at bats! Good eye and swings at good pitches. Ball explodes off his bat. He will be in the lineup a lot. Anywhere from DH, OF and maybe corner infield if needed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT