ADVERTISEMENT

Here's My "Next Up" Selection...

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana
That's "if" Canada heads to Northern Illinois as their next Head Coach versus coming here...., and Werner wasn't interested...

***Brandon Streeter (current Clemson QB's Coach and Recruiting Coordinator).***

It's unlikely he'd come but it would be his shot at calling plays sooner than later...

Probably would take more money than we'd want to spend and he hasn't called the plays "at this level" yet but I'd give him a pass on that one....

Might be worth a try...

Reactions: vesuvius13
That's "if" Canada heads to Northern Illinois as their next Head Coach versus coming here...., and Werner wasn't interested...

***Brandon Streeter (current Clemson QB's Coach and Recruiting Coordinator).***

It's unlikely he'd come but it would be his shot at calling plays sooner than later...

Probably would take more money than we'd want to spend and he hasn't called the plays "at this level" yet but I'd give him a pass on that one....

Might be worth a try...
Didn't CTA want someone who has called plays before?

Didn't CTA want someone who has called plays before?

That's what he said...

Like I said I think we could give this guy a pass on that.

He's played QB at Clemson, and is a coaches son, that would have to give him some background on play calling...

All indications are that he's not interested in going anywhere but he'd be worth taking a flyer on (in my opinion)...

There is a name that was passed along to me today that might be on the list. Keep an eye out for Buster Faulkner. Never mind that you haven’t heard the name. He is on the list and up-and-coming in the coaching world.
Keep an eye out folks.

There is a name that was passed along to me today that might be on the list. Keep an eye out for Buster Faulkner. Never mind that you haven’t heard the name. He is on the list and up-and-coming in the coaching world.
Keep an eye out folks.

He's available because he just got canned...

That's what he said...

Like I said I think we could give this guy a pass on that.

He's played QB at Clemson, and is a coaches son, that would have to give him some background on play calling...

All indications are that he's not interested in going anywhere but he'd be worth taking a flyer on (in my opinion)...

He was an FCS OC for 6 years prior to taking the Clemson QB job. While not the exactly what Allen has stated he wants, he would certainly be someone to make an exception for.

He’d probably be in line to take the Clemson OC position when it opens up (currently there 2 CoOCs). If he thinks it will open up in the next year or 2, no chance he leaves.

Faulkner ran a high energy passing attack at MTSU and then used a lot of 2-TE sets last year at Arkansas State. He runs a lot of fake dive plays and quick slats. He will utilize 3 guys in the backfield operating out of shotgun on every down. Plus, he likes the long ball.

He may well be a good one, but I'm fairly certain that Arkansas Pine Bluff team would make a lot of FCS offenses look good...;)

He may well be a good one, but I'm fairly certain that Arkansas Pine Bluff team would make a lot of FCS offenses look good...;)

True. However, the guy also coached several prolific offenses at MTSU against teams at their same level. To me, the guy IU has to have is the guy who can out-scheme those teams we play on a comparable level. You can scheme and trickeration all you want against better teams but it rarely works. Not looking for a guy that we think can come in and instantly beat the top teams in the conference. Ain’t happening. Looking for the guy who gives us edge in the 50/50 games.

I'd be okay with Faulkner as an "Offensive Analyst" but not as the OC...

I'm doubling down on Brandon Streeter...

His recruiting connections alone might bring us a decent QB, or two, while he's here and even if he left in 3-4 years he'd leave us in decent shape personal-wise... (theoretically)...

He may not fit all the criteria TA set forth but he's worth the risk, in my opinion..., although he was OC at Richmond prior to his Clemson gig...

He was making something like $ 455,000 last year so something in the slightly less than $900,000 range might be necessary to lure him out of his National Championship comfort zone...

Most guys would come for $877,500..., Don't know if that includes him...

His whole life has revolved around Clemson since he was a high school grad... It's often difficult to leave "home".,,

Last edited:
Reactions: Sassy61
Another thought:

How much would picking up a couple of guys Clemson didn't have room for be worth over the next few years...?

Reactions: 009rdarby
Another thought:

How much would picking up a couple of guys Clemson didn't have room for be worth over the next few years...?

And... I'd triple down and try to find a way to have him bring this guy with him as Special Teams/TE's Coach...:

https://clemsontigers.com/coaches/danny-pearman/

It would probably take some outlandish money to pull that off (he had a base salary of $480,000 last fall) but, in my opinion, it would be worth it... He'd sweeten the pot to lure Streeter here, he'd have to be an upgrade with Special Teams, he'd fill Debord's slot as TE's Coach..., AND, he'd be able to help out a bit with the Offensive Tackles..., not to mention that by making these moves Fred would prove to the entire universe that INDIANA is now Ultra Serious about Winning Football...

Since Debord is retired you only have to make a decision about retaining one coach with those moves above...

In my book, you keep the best recruiter and create a spot for him (be it DE's for Inge or "Inside Receivers" for our current QB coach).....

Since Debord is retired you only have to make a decision about retaining one coach with those moves above...

In my book, you keep the best recruiter and create a spot for him (be it DE's for Inge or "Inside Receivers" for our current QB coach).....
A few concerns with your scenario.

1. $1.3 million for two coaches who've never been OC *in FBS before sounds like overpayment. Another learn on the job deal. I'm not a big fan of that.

2. One coach would have to leave since we can't exceed total coaches per NCAA rules.

*EDIT

Last edited:

1. $1.3 million for two coaches who've never been OC *in FBS before sounds like overpayment. Another learn on the job deal. I'm not a big fan of that.

2. One coach would have to leave since we can't exceed total coaches per NCAA rules.

*EDIT

Covered that...

*EDIT

You (more often than not) have to spend money up front to have any shot at making real money over the long haul... This is a risk worth taking (in my opinion).

As far as the current staff goes: most of the names we've supposedly considered are Offensive Coordinators/Quarterbacks coaches, so there's a more than even chance that our current QB's coach will either be coaching a different position for us next fall (TE's?), or has moved to an Offensive Analyst slot, or has just moved elsewhere...

The Special Teams play needs to be upgraded. Inge may well get a 2nd shot at doing it but something positive has to happen there next fall (or, at least, not Negative)...

Last edited:
Reactions: IUCX9
You (more often than not) have to spend money up front to have any shot at making real money over the long haul... This is a risk worth taking (in my opinion).

As far as the current staff goes: most of the names we've supposedly considered are Offensive Coordinators/Quarterbacks coaches, so there's a more than even chance that our current QB's coach will either be coaching a different position for us next fall (TE's?), or has moved to an Offensive Analyst slot, or has just moved elsewhere...

The Special Teams play needs to be upgraded. Inge may well get a 2nd shot at doing it but something positive has to happen there next fall (or, at least, not Negative)...
Wow now you think Sheridan has moved on? Speculate much?

Yeah, it's called posting on an internet fan site about a topic that interests me.
Ok. Don’t get defensive. Just thought you might have known something about Sheridan I was not aware of.

Ok. Don’t get defensive. Just thought you might have known something about Sheridan I was not aware of.

No "inside information" from this source (probably ever at this point).

I just figure that since most of the guys we've supposedly been interested in so far have had Quarterbacks Coach attached to the back half of their Offensive Coordinator/---- title that Sheridan is either moving to coach a different position (maybe TIght Ends??) or he becomes an Offensive Analyst..., or..., he broadens his horizons elsewhere.

I don't have anything against the guy. Everything I've heard and read about him his been positive. It just seems clear that if anyone is to go he'll probably be near the top of the list...

No "inside information" from this source (probably ever at this point).

I just figure that since most of the guys we've supposedly been interested in so far have had Quarterbacks Coach attached to the back half of their Offensive Coordinator/---- title that Sheridan is either moving to coach a different position (maybe TIght Ends??) or he becomes an Offensive Analyst..., or..., he broadens his horizons elsewhere.

I don't have anything against the guy. Everything I've heard and read about him his been positive. It just seems clear that if anyone is to go he'll probably be near the top of the list...

Who knows..., Sheridan may actually end up on the short list to be the OC.... I'd be more comfortable with him than Faulkner...

If we're going to take a flyer and it's not on a guy named Streeter, he (Sheridan) may be the best move...

Who knows..., Sheridan may actually end up on the short list to be the OC.... I'd be more comfortable with him than Faulkner...

If we're going to take a flyer and it's not on a guy named Streeter, he (Sheridan) may be the best move...
Sheridan's only 2 years removed from being a GA. Think he's ready?

There would be a lot to be said for keeping the same system in place with all the same nomenclature.

Yeah..., If you're thinking about bringing some guy in who's your fifth or sixth choice you may as well stick with what you've got and see if a couple of our new players can help get that sixth W...

Reactions: IUCX9
I'm quadrupling down on bringing in Streeter (as Offensive Coordinator / Quarterbacks Coach) along with his pal Pearman (as TIght Ends / Special Teams Coach).

Both are currently at Clemson as QB's/RC, TE's/ST respectively...

Streeter was the OC at Richmond prior to his Clemson job.

Offer them double + what they're currently making along with a 3 or 4 year contract and see if it peeks their interest...

They'll both probably end up elsewhere when we start winning big but that would be the case with anyone we bring in.

This move would also show that the AD "is" serious about Football...

I'm quadrupling down on bringing in Streeter (as Offensive Coordinator / Quarterbacks Coach) along with his pal Pearman (as TIght Ends / Special Teams Coach).

Both are currently at Clemson as QB's/RC, TE's/ST respectively...

Streeter was the OC at Richmond prior to his Clemson job.

Offer them double + what they're currently making along with a 3 or 4 year contract and see if it peeks their interest...

They'll both probably end up elsewhere when we start winning big but that would be the case with anyone we bring in.

This move would also show that the AD "is" serious about Football...
I could possibly see the QB coach come for a promotion, but no chance a coach leaves for a lateral move from Clemson.

Reactions: Tegray1 and fpeaugh
I could possibly see the QB coach come for a promotion, but no chance a coach leaves for a lateral move from Clemson.

I presume you're speaking of Pearman...

For double the money + and a 4 year contract?

No assistant coach in their right mind wouldn't take a long hard look at that...

Maybe throw in an "Associate Offensive Coordinator" title for Pearman (to help spice up his resume)...

Heck, if you're Fred and you REALLY want to get their attention: Offer them 5 year contracts (at their option to stay past 2...) No Assistant Coach on the planet wouldn't consider that kind of sweet deal (coupled with double+ their current money)...

Sure there's risk involved but that's the case with any coaching hire. The recruiting connections alone would be worth the risk and the extra cash outlay... (in my opinion).

These two guys have been deeply involved in getting Clemson to the National Championship game 3 out of the past 4 years and in winning 2 out of the last 4...

It's not like we'd be throwing money at a couple of guys involved in a 6-7 season, who just got waxed (by historic proportions) in their Bowl game;)...

This..., would actually be money "well" spent...:D

Last edited:
I do think the fact that Fred Glass is perceived as a "basketball first guy" probably does hurt our staffing search a bit.

Hiring Streeter & Pearman would change that perception overnight and tell the entire universe that INDIANA has become serious about Winning Football...

Streeter is what we are looking for. And he comes from the National Champion. Their is no question he can help our QBs and recruiting. Maybe get our foot in the door in the Carolinas. Offensively he was successful at Richmond. And no doubt that he learned some stuff from Dabo Swinney. This would be awesome.

Reactions: 009rdarby and 76-1
Or... We could go with this guy http://www.astateredwolves.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7200&ATCLID=210632632 for $50,000 (heck, since he's recently unemployed we might be able to get him for under $40,000)...

Who knows, he could very well be the next Mike Leach.....
Faulkner's already been mentioned, but IMO the potential problem with him (as well as some other guys who've been mentioned) is--given what Allen says he wants in an offense--Buster's offense might play at "too fast" a pace for CTA's liking.

If Allen's truly seeking an offense that can do run-first ball control, sustain some long drives, and give his defense a breather, some other guys might make more sense, like DeBoer and (especially) Albin.

If Helton were smart he'd hire DeBoer to run USC's offense, but the boosters out there will probably want an "NFL guy" if they can sign one.

What Albin's done at Ohio almost defies the laws of "football physics" by being in the Top 15 in both TOP and PPG. Very impressive, but it looks like he may be joined at the hip to Solich.

Even the 2 guys at Buffalo might have potential--IIRC Kotelnicki's already been mentioned, but I think Zebrowski might actually be a better fit for IU.

I guess J. Moreland could interest Allen too, for some of the same reasons.

Reactions: 76-1
Faulkner's already been mentioned, but IMO the potential problem with him (as well as some other guys who've been mentioned) is--given what Allen says he wants in an offense--Buster's offense might play at "too fast" a pace for CTA's liking.

If Allen's truly seeking an offense that can do run-first ball control, sustain some long drives, and give his defense a breather, some other guys might make more sense, like DeBoer and (especially) Albin.

If Helton were smart he'd hire DeBoer to run USC's offense, but the boosters out there will probably want an "NFL guy" if they can sign one.

What Albin's done at Ohio almost defies the laws of "football physics" by being in the Top 15 in both TOP and PPG. Very impressive, but it looks like he may be joined at the hip to Solich.

Even the 2 guys at Buffalo might have potential--IIRC Kotelnicki's already been mentioned, but I think Zebrowski might actually be a better fit for IU.

I guess J. Moreland could interest Allen too, for some of the same reasons.

Took a look at Albin this morning (via google) and it did appear that he and one other guy have been with Solich forever... He's probably in line to be the next HC at Ohio.

Maybe he'd come here till Solich retires but it looks doubtful. Much like Streeter and Pearman however you don't know unless you try... He certainly appears worth a call...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT