ADVERTISEMENT

Here's My "Next Up" Selection...

Took a look at Albin this morning (via google) and it did appear that he and one other guy have been with Solich forever... He's probably in line to be the next HC at Ohio.

Maybe he'd come here till Solich retires but it looks doubtful. Much like Streeter and Pearman however you don't know unless you try... He certainly appears worth a call...
IIRC Albin's relationship with Solich even pre-dates Ohio, so I'd imagine he's all but officially OU's "Head Coach in Waiting"

Morbid curiosity makes me wonder if Streeter was the lead recruiter for Hunter Johnson....1st time I can ever recall Clemson recruiting the state of Indiana for football.

Reactions: vesuvius13
We could be making multiple staff changes on offense and maybe announce both at same time. Sheridan was tied to Debord. If you are going to install a new offense you may want one person you are comfortable with. We will need a TE coach. If the new OC specializes in QB coaching does he bring a coach.

We should have hired Frank Solich the day Nebraska fired him.

I'm liking Buster Faulkners resume.

I like Wright's but he is a QB coach. Need another change.
Brian Wright? runs another fast offense that leaves its defense on the field a lot....not sure Allen's willing to go there again

if you're looking for a potential OC that could also double as TE coach, maybe Moreland's the most logical choice. I'm not personally blown away by his offense, but he's got a solid TE-playing and -coaching background and their TOP #'s were outstanding last season

(Denbrock also fits that description, but I'm not sure if he'd want to leave UC for Indiana)

Last edited:
Allen wants tempo just not foolish tempo.

Brian Wright? runs another fast offense that leaves its defense on the field a lot....not sure Allen's willing to go there again

if you're looking for a potential OC that could also double as TE coach, maybe Moreland's the most logical choice. I'm not personally blown away by his offense, but he's got a solid TE-playing and -coaching background and their TOP #'s were outstanding last season

Allen wants tempo just not foolish tempo.
Lots of coaches say they want "tempo" and then complain that their offenses expose their defenses too much. Especially coaches with defensive backgrounds.

I'm not saying I agree with (what I suspect is) Allen's diagnosis of the team's problems. Actually, for all of the criticism (legitimate and illegitimate) of DeBord and Ramsey, IU's pass offense last season was, at least statistically, pretty decent--better than its rushing offense, in any event. And the team's overall defensive statistics were at least as bad as the offensive ones. I'd be happy with someone like Wright, and OK with someone like Faulkner even. Especially given how much IU struggled to score points.

But my impression is that CTA sees things somewhat differently: I imagine he looks at the fact that IU was (IIRC) 93rd in the FBS in time of possession and says "that's our biggest issue and I'm gonna hire an OC who can fix it."

Last edited:
Lots of coaches say they want "tempo" and then complain that their offenses expose their defenses too much. Especially coaches with defensive backgrounds.

I'm not saying I agree with (what I suspect is) Allen's diagnosis of the team's problems. Actually, for all of the criticism (legitimate and illegitimate) of DeBord and Ramsey, IU's pass offense last season was, at least statistically, pretty decent--better than its rushing offense, in any event. And the team's overall defensive statistics were at least as bad as the offensive ones. I'd be happy with someone like Wright, and OK with someone like Faulkner even. Especially given how much IU struggled to score points.

But my impression is that CTA sees things somewhat differently: I imagine he looks at the fact that IU was (IIRC) 93rd in the FBS in time of possession and says "that's our biggest issue and I'm gonna hire an OC who can fix it."
CTA has publicly said that he doesn't care about time of possession He cares about points per possession.

I think he wants an explosive high scoring offense. Slow, fast, he doesn't care except that they score every time.

CTA has publicly said that he doesn't care about time of possession He cares about points per possession.

I think he wants an explosive high scoring offense. Slow, fast, he doesn't care except that they score every time.
I don't remember Allen actually saying he doesn't care about time of possession and, if he did, he may want to re-think that, given how his defense struggled last season.

Unless he's found "the next Lincoln Riley" and plans on simply outscoring people, I'd expect him to focus more on running the ball and being more effective in the red zone, where IU squandered numerous scoring opportunities in 2018. Especially if the QB situation remains unchanged.

I expect we'll know sometime later this week, one way or another.

Reactions: 76-1
IIRC Albin's relationship with Solich even pre-dates Ohio, so I'd imagine he's all but officially OU's "Head Coach in Waiting"

Morbid curiosity makes me wonder if Streeter was the lead recruiter for Hunter Johnson....1st time I can ever recall Clemson recruiting the state of Indiana for football.

Turns out Hunter Johnsons primary recruiter was Streeter (per 24/7)... So he's already recruited the state of Indiana...

Boy, I'd love to see us at least make a serious run at that guy...(Streeter)...

I don't remember Allen actually saying he doesn't care about time of possession and, if he did, he may want to re-think that, given how his defense struggled last season.

Unless he's found "the next Lincoln Riley" and plans on simply outscoring people, I'd expect him to focus more on running the ball and being more effective in the red zone, where IU squandered numerous scoring opportunities in 2018. Especially if the QB situation remains unchanged.

I expect we'll know sometime later this week, one way or another.
He said it in a presser preseason of 2017 when asked what type of offense debord was going to run. But you are right, that very well might change as he evaluates things. I wouldn't ming turning Stevie into the next AT and pounding away a la Wisconsin.

Turns out Hunter Johnsons primary recruiter was Streeter (per 24/7)... So he's already recruited the state of Indiana...

Boy, I'd love to see us at least make a serious run at that guy...(Streeter)...
Any young gun OC whiz hire from Clemson would sound exciting, but until or unless I see it, I just don't see that happening. But TBD.

We could be making multiple staff changes on offense and maybe announce both at same time. Sheridan was tied to Debord. If you are going to install a new offense you may want one person you are comfortable with. We will need a TE coach. If the new OC specializes in QB coaching does he bring a coach.
Waaaaiiitttt a minute..... I was told a new OC NEVER gets to choose his own coaches. It would ruin the culture, don'tcha know!

Screw winning - we want to keep the same culture!

(the preceding was sarcasm, by the way)

I presume you're speaking of Pearman...

For double the money + and a 4 year contract?

No assistant coach in their right mind wouldn't take a long hard look at that...

Maybe throw in an "Associate Offensive Coordinator" title for Pearman (to help spice up his resume)...

Heck, if you're Fred and you REALLY want to get their attention: Offer them 5 year contracts (at their option to stay past 2...) No Assistant Coach on the planet wouldn't consider that kind of sweet deal (coupled with double+ their current money)...

Sure there's risk involved but that's the case with any coaching hire. The recruiting connections alone would be worth the risk and the extra cash outlay... (in my opinion).

These two guys have been deeply involved in getting Clemson to the National Championship game 3 out of the past 4 years and in winning 2 out of the last 4...

It's not like we'd be throwing money at a couple of guys involved in a 6-7 season, who just got waxed (by historic proportions) in their Bowl game;)...

This..., would actually be money "well" spent...:D
I agree. It's up to CTA to sell it and Glass to make good on the offer.

Waaaaiiitttt a minute..... I was told a new OC NEVER gets to choose his own coaches. It would ruin the culture, don'tcha know!

Screw winning - we want to keep the same culture!

(the preceding was sarcasm, by the way)

Once again, Tom Allen tried to keep Shawn Watson as the QB coach. Shawn Watson left after DeBord was here, and there was an open spot to fill, which went to Sheridan. Much different than having an OC come in and fire the current staff and choose his own assistants. Which is what everyone on this thread has stated.

Streeter is still at the top of my list.., and I'd love to see us find a way to bring his friend Pearman with him.,.

/////How's that for "another mind numbing post"?;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 009rdarby
Once again, Tom Allen tried to keep Shawn Watson as the QB coach. Shawn Watson left after DeBord was here, and there was an open spot to fill, which went to Sheridan. Much different than having an OC come in and fire the current staff and choose his own assistants. Which is what everyone on this thread has stated.
The poster I replied to wasn't talking about the past - he was talking about an OC getting his own QB coach.

That's what I was pointing out and it's hypocrisy to decry an OC picking his own staff and then saying it's fine for an OC to pick his own QB coach.

Most oc s would rather bring an o line coach not a qb coach and not a te coach unless he can coach o line.

Streeter would be the QBs coach... Pearman once coached T's at Alabama..., does that qualify...;)

With those two the only staff loss is at QB's and T. Allen could move Sheridan to "Offensive Analyst" if he wished... Inge could move to a newly created DE's slot..., if retention and continuity was a desired goal...

To summarize: Streeter would be OC/QB's; Pearman TE's(with an assist with T's)/Special Teams Coordinator with Inge moving from Special Teams Coordinator to Asst. Special Teams/DE's and our current QB's coach Sheridan moves to Offensive Analyst... The rest of the staff stands pat unless hired elsewhere...

Here's Pearmans Clemson bio: https://clemsontigers.com/coaches/danny-pearman/

Here's an article about Streeter when he was at Richmond as OC:
https://richmondspiders.com/news/2014/12/10/209800370.aspx?path=football

Here's Streeters Clemson bio:
https://clemsontigers.com/coaches/brandon-streeter/

Here's a stat: Streeter was a key part of an Offensive staff that has averaged 40 points per game in the last 3 out of 4 National Championship games (while winning 2 of them [including 44 during the most recent W against Alabama (which was supposedly Sabans "best team ever")... I think the young man is qualified...

***All of the above is simply my own internet conjecture with no basis in fact. [that I'm aware of]*** (aside from the bios & articles of the coaches mentioned)

Last edited:
Reactions: 009rdarby
Most oc s would rather bring an o line coach not a qb coach and not a te coach unless he can coach o line.

Supposedly Tom Allen wants to keep the current staff relatively intact if the Matt Canada narrative is to be believed (that he wasn't coming because he couldn't chose his own staff)...

Supposedly Tom Allen wants to keep the current staff relatively intact if the Matt Canada narrative is to be believed (that he wasn't coming because he couldn't chose his own staff)...
I have a feeling - and a feeling only - that if Canada really needed a job, the selection of his own staff wouldn't be an issue.

I further feel that, if enough money was dangled in front of him and he had a long-term, guaranteed, contract, he'd be willing to work with existing staff.

But it's all water under the bridge, because he seems to be in the running for various positions and I doubt he is going to be desparate for a job. And we're not going to pay crazy money for an OC.

I have a feeling - and a feeling only - that if Canada really needed a job, the selection of his own staff wouldn't be an issue.

I further feel that, if enough money was dangled in front of him and he had a long-term, guaranteed, contract, he'd be willing to work with existing staff.

But it's all water under the bridge, because he seems to be in the running for various positions and I doubt he is going to be desparate for a job. And we're not going to pay crazy money for an OC.

My impression is that he thinks he's going to get the Northern Illinois job. Based on the names he's competing with he might have a tougher time making that happen than he thought he would... whether he gets it or not, with the money he's still getting from LSU he can afford to just sit out a year and wait for this type of circus to repeat itself if he desires.

He'll land on his feet whether he ends up here or not.

Reactions: Sassy61
Did I mention I like Streeter & Pearman from Clemson?

I'd give our odds of signing them but that would be purely "speculation"...;)

How much cash is Canada owed from his contract with Maryland?

I like your enthusiasm but I can not even imagine guys from Clemson even considering coming to IU for any amount of money. Maybe I’m wrong and would love to be, but I just cannot see it.

You are probably correct.

My attitude both about life and football is Attack It With Everything You've Got and You Never Know If It Will Work IF You Don't Even Try...

You are probably correct.

My attitude both about life and football is Attack It With Everything You've Got and You Never Know If It Will Work IF You Don't Even Try...
I agree if you feel strongly enough about someone then you go after it. Don’t know if it is something CTA would consider but it is interesting. As far as your previous post I don’t know if Sheridan would consider the job demotion but if you could get two guys like that who cares?

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Article from Clemsons rival site discussing how coaching stability has been so vital to their success the past few years. Those guys are in no rush to leave such a great situation. They can afford to be picky when it comes to making their next move. Streeter gets to coach Trevor for the next 2 yrs at least and he's gonna make any coach look great.

Last February, Justyn Ross followed through and went with Clemson to stun the Crimson Tide's coaches. Offensive coordinator Mike Locksley would later say he almost fell out of his chair. Jeff Scott and Dabo Swinney jumped and pumped their fists and hugged as if they'd just beaten Alabama on the football field. They knew how important that acquisition was. Eleven months later, the world does too.

But my, does Clemson do an exquisite job of maximizing the advantages it does have. In the hot pursuit of Ross, Scott and Todd Bates zeroed in on one of the few weaknesses shown by the Nick Saban Death Star: Yes, Alabama had just won a national title for a ridiculous fifth time in nine seasons. But Saban also had a record of regular and substantial staff upheaval.

For Ross, it meant something that Clemson's staff had experienced so little attrition. All five of the Tigers' offensive assistants -- Tony Elliott, Scott, Brandon Streeter, Danny Pearman, Robbie Caldwell -- had been in place for the Tigers' first playoff game in 2015, against Oklahoma. And the same staff was there at the end of last year, and then again a week ago tonight when Clemson ruthlessly changed the narrative of college football.

Over the last week, Saban has lost several more coaches. And surely, Ross looks at this as confirmation that he made the right decision -- as if what he and Clemson did in Santa Clara isn't already confirmation enough.
Elliott could be preparing for his second year as head coach at Mississippi State or UCF. Both of those schools pursued him in December of 2017 but he cut it off quickly and told them he wasn't ready to be a head coach. And it's not just about Elliott believing he needs more seasoning. It's also about Elliott believing he has such a good job here, is in such a remarkably good and unique situation, that it better be the perfect situation for him to leave.

We could be sitting here writing about the guy who replaced Brent Venables, the new head coach at Texas Tech or alma mater Kansas State. Six years ago, Chad Morris wanted that Texas Tech job badly but came in second to Kliff Kingsbury. In most situations, a top-notch coordinator is interested in becoming head coach at Texas Tech. In most situations, a top-notch coordinator who played at Kansas State is interested in going back to be head coach.

This isn't like most situations. Venables is, in our view, the top defensive coordinator in this era of college football. And holding all those Alabama offensive freaks to 16 points a week ago cemented that case. Venables wants to be a head coach. But his situation is so good here that he can and will be exceptionally choosy.

Elliott is the guy who calls the plays on game days, meaning it would be understandable for Scott to get the itch to run his show exclusively elsewhere. As Clemson was preparing to play Pitt in the ACC title game, Jeremy Pruitt reached out to Scott to gauge his interest in being the offensive coordinator at Tennessee. Scott said no-thanks. Georgia's Jim Chaney was. He's making a reported $1.5 million a year after leaving Georgia. Scott and Elliott are making $850,000 apiece.

This would be the same Georgia that also lost its defensive coordinator when Mel Tucker became head coach at Colorado.

Ya think Clemson might be able to further capitalize on this upheaval on the recruiting trail?

Article from Clemsons rival site discussing how coaching stability has been so vital to their success the past few years. Those guys are in no rush to leave such a great situation. They can afford to be picky when it comes to making their next move. Streeter gets to coach Trevor for the next 2 yrs at least and he's gonna make any coach look great.

Last February, Justyn Ross followed through and went with Clemson to stun the Crimson Tide's coaches. Offensive coordinator Mike Locksley would later say he almost fell out of his chair. Jeff Scott and Dabo Swinney jumped and pumped their fists and hugged as if they'd just beaten Alabama on the football field. They knew how important that acquisition was. Eleven months later, the world does too.

But my, does Clemson do an exquisite job of maximizing the advantages it does have. In the hot pursuit of Ross, Scott and Todd Bates zeroed in on one of the few weaknesses shown by the Nick Saban Death Star: Yes, Alabama had just won a national title for a ridiculous fifth time in nine seasons. But Saban also had a record of regular and substantial staff upheaval.

For Ross, it meant something that Clemson's staff had experienced so little attrition. All five of the Tigers' offensive assistants -- Tony Elliott, Scott, Brandon Streeter, Danny Pearman, Robbie Caldwell -- had been in place for the Tigers' first playoff game in 2015, against Oklahoma. And the same staff was there at the end of last year, and then again a week ago tonight when Clemson ruthlessly changed the narrative of college football.

Over the last week, Saban has lost several more coaches. And surely, Ross looks at this as confirmation that he made the right decision -- as if what he and Clemson did in Santa Clara isn't already confirmation enough.
Elliott could be preparing for his second year as head coach at Mississippi State or UCF. Both of those schools pursued him in December of 2017 but he cut it off quickly and told them he wasn't ready to be a head coach. And it's not just about Elliott believing he needs more seasoning. It's also about Elliott believing he has such a good job here, is in such a remarkably good and unique situation, that it better be the perfect situation for him to leave.

We could be sitting here writing about the guy who replaced Brent Venables, the new head coach at Texas Tech or alma mater Kansas State. Six years ago, Chad Morris wanted that Texas Tech job badly but came in second to Kliff Kingsbury. In most situations, a top-notch coordinator is interested in becoming head coach at Texas Tech. In most situations, a top-notch coordinator who played at Kansas State is interested in going back to be head coach.

This isn't like most situations. Venables is, in our view, the top defensive coordinator in this era of college football. And holding all those Alabama offensive freaks to 16 points a week ago cemented that case. Venables wants to be a head coach. But his situation is so good here that he can and will be exceptionally choosy.

Elliott is the guy who calls the plays on game days, meaning it would be understandable for Scott to get the itch to run his show exclusively elsewhere. As Clemson was preparing to play Pitt in the ACC title game, Jeremy Pruitt reached out to Scott to gauge his interest in being the offensive coordinator at Tennessee. Scott said no-thanks. Georgia's Jim Chaney was. He's making a reported $1.5 million a year after leaving Georgia. Scott and Elliott are making $850,000 apiece.

This would be the same Georgia that also lost its defensive coordinator when Mel Tucker became head coach at Colorado.

Ya think Clemson might be able to further capitalize on this upheaval on the recruiting trail?

Good article. I'm aware they've stuck together.

Why are you worried enough that we might try to get one or two of them that you would make this article your first post...?;):rolleyes:

So because no one has yet been able to do it, we should not even try...???:confused: :rolleyes:

You aren't going very far with that approach to life...:cool:

Good article. I'm aware they've stuck together.

Why are you worried enough that we might try to get one or two of them that you would make this article your first post...?;):rolleyes:

So because no one has yet been able to do it, we should not even try...???:confused: :rolleyes:

You aren't going very far with that approach to life...:cool:
Agree it is a long shot but is definitely worth looking at.

That's "if" Canada heads to Northern Illinois as their next Head Coach versus coming here...., and Werner wasn't interested...

***Brandon Streeter (current Clemson QB's Coach and Recruiting Coordinator).***

It's unlikely he'd come but it would be his shot at calling plays sooner than later...

Probably would take more money than we'd want to spend and he hasn't called the plays "at this level" yet but I'd give him a pass on that one....

Might be worth a try...

Guys like this might not want to take a job like this if they can't bring any of their own staff.

Reactions: DANC
Guys like this might not want to take a job like this if they can't bring any of their own staff.

If he needs more than his TE coach (Pearman [discussed at length above]) that could be a deal breaker...

He's still very much worth pursuing, in my opinion...

If he needs more than his TE coach (Pearman [discussed at length above]) that could be a deal breaker...

He's still very much worth pursuing, in my opinion...

His TE coach? Pearman actually has a higher level position than Streeter, is Dabo's longest tenured assistant (more than twice as many years as Streeter), and makes more money than Streeter. Plus, Pearman and Dabo go way back - Pearman was an assistant at Alabama when Dabo was a player, GA, and assistant there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT