ADVERTISEMENT

Here's an unusual (maybe amazing) stat

Paterfamilias

All-Big Ten
Dec 3, 2010
Through 19 Big Ten games, Stewart's late 3 pointer vs Rutgers marked the first time that either Stewart or Kopp (IU's designated shooters) have hit a 3 in the last 4 minutes of a game. Stewart had one at about the 4:16 mark of the Michigan game for a total of 2 in the last 5 minutes of conference games.

I'm not going to take the time to find out, but it's hard to imagine that there is another team even close to making the tournament that has gotten so little from it's outside shooters during crunch time of games

Through 19 Big Ten games, Stewart's late 3 pointer vs Rutgers marked the first time that either Stewart or Kopp (IU's designated shooters) have hit a 3 in the last 4 minutes of a game. Stewart had one at about the 4:16 mark of the Michigan game for a total of 2 in the last 5 minutes of conference games.

I'm not going to take the time to find out, but it's hard to imagine that there is another team even close to making the tournament that has gotten so little from it's outside shooters during crunch time of games
I was wondering about that.

Stats are stats and a coach cannot ignore them. If someone shoots 40% they shoot 40%. If you are a coach, you play the odds.

on the flip side, stats have nuances to them. I don’t care what Jay Edwards shot. If the game is on the line I want him shooting.

Stats are stats and a coach cannot ignore them. If someone shoots 40% they shoot 40%. If you are a coach, you play the odds.

on the flip side, stats have nuances to them. I don’t care what Jay Edwards shot. If the game is on the line I want him shooting.
Even though their 3% might look okay for the season (Kopp and Stew that is), they have only hit a shade over 34% combined since Dec. 18. Our poor shooting PG's have hit almost 36.5% over the same span. Kopp himself is at 30% since that Notre Dame game.

The underclassmen group of Bates, Leal and Galloway are at like 16%, which seems too bad to be true so I'll have to check that again.

The duo of Thompson and Geronimo have a slightly higher % than Kopp, which makes them pretty darn good options on this squad... lol! The shooting is a friggin nightmare!

Edit- The underclassmen stat should be 21%... Leal was 16% which was surprising and stuck in my head. It jumps up to 23% if you include Geronimo's 4 of 12 over that time period.

Last edited:
Interesting and good take. It's nice to have the stats on a take of what is obviously apparent to all watching, but stating our shooting is woeful and providing the data to support it is quality. Thank you for taking the time to do the analysis. What would also be interesting is to take it a step further and see how many attempts have been made by our "shooters" with less than four minutes remaining. There is no doubt that Parker is the better of he and Kopp. A simple eyeball test while watching every game makes that determination easy. What's weird, as another person already pointed out is the inability to connect on them. Parker may be our best, but when it's crunch time, we appear to either not be getting him the ball or he is not taking the shot or we simply are not going to him. Kopp is no better option than Geronimo or even Race. JMO.

Reactions: .Gerdis
Interesting and good take. It's nice to have the stats on a take of what is obviously apparent to all watching, but stating our shooting is woeful and providing the data to support it is quality. Thank you for taking the time to do the analysis. What would also be interesting is to take it a step further and see how many attempts have been made by our "shooters" with less than four minutes remaining. There is no doubt that Parker is the better of he and Kopp. A simple eyeball test while watching every game makes that determination easy. What's weird, as another person already pointed out is the inability to connect on them. Parker may be our best, but when it's crunch time, we appear to either not be getting him the ball or he is not taking the shot or we simply are not going to him. Kopp is no better option than Geronimo or even Race. JMO.
I was curious the number of three point attempts in the RU game when they were in the zone (and how those attempts corresponded to the percentage of zone minutes)?

This just reinforces what I said after the game Wednesday - we're just not very talented.

Talented guys do what Ron Harper, Jr did to us in the 2nd half and down the stretch, not that.

Seeing Jay never shot worse than 44% from 3, I'd take him every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Reactions: .Gerdis
IU is 8 of 41 from 3 in the last 5 minutes of Big Ten games for 19.5%

Stewart 2-9
X 2-7
Rob 2-6
Bates 0-6
Thompson 0-4
Kopp 0-2
Leal 0-2
Galloway 1-2
Lander 1-2
TJD 0-1

Stewart 2-9
X 2-7
Rob 2-6
Bates 0-6
Thompson 0-4
Kopp 0-2
Leal 0-2
Galloway 1-2
Lander 1-2
TJD 0-1
Thanks for compiling. These numbers confirm what we all are feeling. I’m guessing it’s close to double that in the first 10 minutes of the game.

Thanks for compiling. These numbers confirm what we all are feeling. I’m guessing it’s close to double that in the first 10 minutes of the game.
For the first 35 minutes of Big Ten games, IU opponents have outscored the Hoosiers by 60 points from deep. In the last 5 minutes they've outscored IU by 42 from deep

Stewart 2-9
X 2-7
Rob 2-6
Bates 0-6
Thompson 0-4
Kopp 0-2
Leal 0-2
Galloway 1-2
Lander 1-2
TJD 0-1
I’ll have to look up how many of those were taken in the Ohio St game. I think that was the one where we were chucking three’s and was the one game even Trayce got in on the brick party.

Horrific shooting in crunch time. Sums up the season. Why can't we recruit one player who can shoot the 3 ball?

IIRC they weren't closing games until Rob was injured, then Trey...

Phin, Trey, and X were the closers

IIRC they weren't closing games until Rob was injured, then Trey...

Phin, Trey, and X were the closers

Rob and Trey have both been available in only 6 Big Ten games, but I think you're right that it looked to be trending that way during the stretch where they beat OSU and PU.

It seems like Stewart has had tons of opportunity to impact the end of games, but, now that you mention it Kopp hasn't been out there much late.

I'm not blaming them individually. I've seen X and TJD not kick it out to a wide open Stewart on a few occasions that could have been big... if he made it.

The whole team seems to miss shots down the stretch that they would make at a good % the rest of the game. I think that snake bit feeling has crawled in their heads and having at least some effect late in games.

When Woody talks about learning how to win it sounds like coach speak, but I think that psychologically there is something to it. If they could have strung a few together like the OSU game, where they closed out like winners, they might have reached their potential (whatever that is)

Hopefully they knock off PU today and turn it around for post season.

Definitely an amazing (and disheartening) stat.

Even though their 3% might look okay for the season (Kopp and Stew that is), they have only hit a shade over 34% combined since Dec. 18. Our poor shooting PG's have hit almost 36.5% over the same span. Kopp himself is at 30% since that Notre Dame game.

The underclassmen group of Bates, Leal and Galloway are at like 16%, which seems too bad to be true so I'll have to check that again.

The duo of Thompson and Geronimo have a slightly higher % than Kopp, which makes them pretty darn good options on this squad... lol! The shooting is a friggin nightmare!

Edit- The underclassmen stat should be 21%... Leal was 16% which was surprising and stuck in my head. It jumps up to 23% if you include Geronimo's 4 of 12 over that time period.
XJ is IU's sharpshooter. Weird.

When Woody talks about learning how to win it sounds like coach speak, but I think that psychologically there is something to it. If they could have strung a few together like the OSU game, where they closed out like winners, they might have reached their potential (whatever that is)
I think they have reached their potential. Poise under pressure is as much a talent as shooting. Some players have it and some don't. Ours don't seem to have it. I'm not sure how much it can be taught. It seems more like a personality trait. Maybe a coach like RMK who was constantly pressuring his players was able to instill some of it, or bring it out where it was more latent.

One more oddity relative to the 3 point shooting of Stewart and Kopp...

If we take out the mid-major opponents, these two are a combined 42-99 (42.4%) away from Assembly Hall and just 24-73 (32.9%) at Home!

Kopp, in particular, struggles at Assembly Hall even getting shots up, let alone hit them (6-22 for 27.3%), while on the road he emerges (21-51 for 41.2%)

Maybe the neutral court setting of the BTT is just what the doctor ordered for our shooting woes?

Stewart 2-9
X 2-7
Rob 2-6
Bates 0-6
Thompson 0-4
Kopp 0-2
Leal 0-2
Galloway 1-2
Lander 1-2
TJD 0-1
wonder how many of those were after possessions where we pounded the ball for 30 seconds and threw up a desperation shot

Reactions: B1G_Fan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT