ADVERTISEMENT

Here's a few reasons for Optimism

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana
Looking forward to Bell’s offense.

Hey, we’ve all had to watch DeBord and Sheridan offenses. Anything is better than that. That’s my reason for optimism and I’m as pessimistic as they come.
Not much is being published about Bell’s offense. It almost can’t be worse.
Shivers appears to have that game braking speed, which hasn’t been seen,
dressed in Crimson, in Memorial Stadium for too many years.
We appear to have QBs who need a running game to be successful.

Here’s some Ark. St. footage published for MD fans
https://www.testudotimes.com/maryla...alt-bell-terps-coordinator-coach-hired-durkin

And some home town press
https://www.capitalgazette.com/spor...ce-childhood-in-tennessee-20161005-story.html

At MD, the ‘inside’ runs were B-gap

Last edited:
Not much is being published about Bell’s offense. It almost can’t be worse.
Shivers appears to have that game braking speed, which hasn’t been seen,
dressed in Crimson, in Memorial Stadium for too many years.
We appear to have QBs who need a running game to be successful.

Here’s some Ark. St. footage published for MD fans
https://www.testudotimes.com/maryla...alt-bell-terps-coordinator-coach-hired-durkin

And some home town press
https://www.capitalgazette.com/spor...ce-childhood-in-tennessee-20161005-story.html

At MD, the ‘inside’ runs were B-gap
/~/I'd start a new thread just to upset my personal troll 😉 but this is too perfect a tie in with your post above...\~\ -

Here's what Bell had to say when he first arrived (about what he intends to run):

Now Bell was being purposely vague (and personally, I LIKE that)..., but there's enough there to get an idea of intentions...

Here's another article that I found quite awhile ago but hung onto just to make the Illini GA's work for it a little 😉 😎 , but it's open source stuff that's been online for more than half a decade, so..., I'm sure they've seen it by now (I couldn't get the referenced film clips to load anyway, so hopefully, the same thing happened to them 😑)... With all of the film Illinois has at their disposal I'm certain they have a much better overview then this by now anyway...:

/~/~ If I find anything else, I'll edit and add it here (I wouldn't want my little troll buddy to harm himself... - driven by his angst and consternation derived from his tortured thoughts that I somehow didn't follow his version of board etiquette 🙄😂😉😎)... - \-\

---------------------------------------------------------
***From my further thumbnail research*** :

It appears that WB is not at all adverse to dialing up "trick" plays and unique formations (I'm not linking the articles because 90% of them were talking about their not having a QB with good decision making skills...[which was why most of the trick plays weren't executed and Bell wasn't a celebrated phenomenon at UMass]...).

At his last stop Bell literally Had to try everything in the playbook based on the talent he had available (or lack of)... Should be interesting to see how "creative" he gets here... (or is allowed to be)... He'll become a fan favorite celebrated Genius when that stuff works and the WOAT (Worst of All Time) when it doesn't...

Personally, I hope we see as much of it (trick plays and innovative formations) as is practical (given the game flow, down and distance, etc...). I want to see us Attack relentlessly* on both Offense and Defense... That's the Only approach that'll get us where we want to go in this league, in my opinion. *(and I mean even faking a kneel down on the last play before halftime and throwing deep type of Relentlessy Attacking...).

If that approach was good enough for General George S Patton it should be good enough for us... :

"Ride the enemy to death. L'Audace -- L'Audace -- Tout jour
l'Audace."

The quote even speaks to Trick plays...:

- Translation: Ride the enemy to death. "Audacity, Audacity, Always Audacity" -

The same approach can be seen having been successful throughout US military history, where, in spite of dire circumstances, they always found a way to surprise and take the fight To the enemy..., keep Him off balance, let Him have worry about what They're going to do next...

Examples off the top of my head...:
G. Washington at Trenton; A. Jackson attacking the British camp at night early on, even without textbook sufficient forces to do so at New Orleans (which caused the British to lose their initiative)...; the Navy and USMC during the early days of the Pacific Campaign at Midway and Guadalcanal... There are hundreds, if not thousands, of other good examples of this throughout history...

Attacking Relentlessly will Win you a lot more than you'll lose...

//Here's another MD related article about Bell:

Here's one of our own (from when he was hired) that hints at his approach near the end of the article...:

And..., here's one from yesterday that once again is intentionally vague but gives tantalizing hints as to how we'll approach things...:

Here's an IDS article from when he was first hired:

Here's one from when he was with F$U:

And another:

-The End-

Hope that makes el troll happy...; I just jammed two threads into to one follow on post... 🙄😎

Last edited:
/~/I'd start a new thread just to upset my personal troll 😉 but this is too perfect a tie in with your post above...\~\ -

Here's what Bell had to say when he first arrived (about what he intends to run):

Now Bell was being purposely vague (and personally, I LIKE that)..., but there's enough there to get an idea of intentions...

Here's another article that I found quite awhile ago but hung onto just to make the Illini GA's work for it a little 😉 😎 , but it's open source stuff that's been online for more than half a decade, so..., I'm sure they've seen it by now (I couldn't get the referenced film clips to load anyway, so hopefully, the same thing happened to them 😑)... With all of the film Illinois has at their disposal I'm certain they have a much better overview than this by now anyway...):

/~/~/If I find anything else, I'll edit and add it here (I wouldn't want my little troll buddy to harm himself... - driven by his angst and consternation derived from his tortured thoughts that I somehow didn't follow his version of board etiquette 🙄😂😉😎)...\~\~\

***From my further thumbnail research*** :
It appears that WB is not at all adverse to dialing up "trick" plays and unique formations (I'm not linking the articles because 90% of them were talking about their not having a QB with good decision making skills...[which was why most of the trick plays weren't executed and Bell wasn't a celebrated phenomenon at UMass]...).

At his last stop Bell literally Had to try everything in the playbook based on the talent he had available (or lack of)... Should be interesting to see how "creative" he gets here... (or is allowed to be)... You're a fan favorite Ultra-Genius when that stuff works and the WOAT (Worst of All Time) when it doesn't...

Personally, I hope we see as much of it (trick plays and innovative formations) as is practical (given the game flow, down and distance, etc...).

I want to see us Attack relentlessly* on both Offense and Defense... That's the Only approach that'll get us where we want to go in this league, in my opinion. *(and I mean even faking a kneel down on the last play before halftime and throwing deep type of Relentlessy Attacking...).

If that approach was good enough for General George S Patton it should be good enough for us to emulate... :

"Ride the enemy to death. L'Audace -- L'Audace -- Tout jour
l'Audace."

The quote even speaks to Trick plays... Translation: Ride the enemy to death. "Audacity, Audacity, Always Audacity"

The same approach can be seen having been successful throughout US military history, whereas, in spite of dire circumstances, they always found a way to surprise and take the fight To the enemy..., keep Him off balance, let Him have worry about what They're going to do next...

Off the top of my head...: Washington at Trenton; Jackson attacking the British camp at night early on, even without textbook sufficient forces to do so at New Orleans (which caused the British to lose their initiative)...; the Navy and USMC during the early days of the Pacific Campaign at both Midway and Guadalcanal... There are hundreds, if not thousands, of other good examples of this throughout history...

Attacking Relentlessly will Win you a lot more than you'll lose...m

//Here's another MD related article about Bell:

Here's one of our own (from when he was hired) that hints at his approach near the end of the article...:

And..., here's one from yesterday that once again is intentionally vague but gives tantalizing hints as to how we'll approach things...:

Here's an IDS article from when he was first hired:

Here's one from when he was with F$U:

And another:

-The End-

Hope that makes el troll happy...; I just jammed two threads into to one follow on post... 🙄😎
Damn. When does the movie come out?

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and 76-1

Getting back to the original question......these two stories didn't move the optimism needle.

Concerning Camper; "Diligence" is nice, but to be expected, isn't it? I'd be more optimistic if he said something like: "I've been coaching 30 years and I've never seen such a combination of strength and speed"...

Concerning the QB: McCulley & Williams have "lots of room for growth". which is coach speak for "No way in hell are these guys ready to start". Tuttle? 'Leader & great teammate'. Wasn't he those things last year? Bazelak? "really good arm talent" OK, anything else??

The only really optimistic point made in either story is that we have 4 healthy QBs, which of course is a big deal, but something we already knew.

Damn. When does the movie come out?
Cliff notes version: Bell is highly regarded in coaching circles... He made two poor career choices, F$U and UMass yet is still well thought of...

He's highly innovative when it comes to X's and O's and if he's unleashed this Fall and finds 11 guys who can execute his O then we're in for some serious entertainment...

He likes to go fast and loves to run the ball down their throats but can and will adapt to the on field circumstances and what TA wants...

The Movie comes out on Friday, September 2, 2022... Buy your tickets early... this one is expected to sell out at all showings... Attempted to get the Academy to consider it but they said that it was clearly " too violent"... 😉 We'll just have settle for the Big Ten Championship Trophy rather than an Oscar...

Last edited:
Getting back to the original question......these two stories didn't move the optimism needle.

Concerning Camper; "Diligence" is nice, but to be expected, isn't it? I'd be more optimistic if he said something like: "I've been coaching 30 years and I've never seen such a combination of strength and ….”
I think I’ve heard that one as well.
Wasn’t it our own Coach Kevin “Otis” Wilson who once said after a practice that Camion Patrick was the best player on the team?

Very rarely saw the field.

Cliff notes version: Bell is highly regarded in coaching circles... He made two poor career choices, F$U and UMass yet is still well thought of...

He's highly innovative when it comes to X's and O's and if he's unleashed this Fall and finds 11 guys who can execute his O then we're in for some serious entertainment...

He likes to go fast and loves to run the ball down their throats but can and will adapt to the on field circumstances and what TA wants...

The Movie comes out on Friday, September 2, 2022... Buy your tickets early... this one is expected to sell out at all showings... Attempted to get the Academy to consider it but they said that it was clearly " too violent"... 😉 We'll just have settle for the Big Ten Championship Trophy rather than an Oscar...
I hope we'll be better than I think we will be.

I'm just not sure I see much upside this year.

QB, TB, WRs, OL----where's the ABT guy? Really.....what guys project to be even above the BT average player for their position? Camper & DJ Matthews maybe, who else? And Camper's a definite maybe.

There's more talent on the D, but who projects to potentially be an ABT level performer? Cam Jones, Mullen; maybe Fitzgerald, maybe Jaylin Williams??

The PK and Mullen might be the best at their positions that we have.

I think what I'd really like to see is to get back to being stingy on D, and to be competent on O. And just to have a BT level performer at all positions. In other words, I'm hoping for average. That would be good to see but as a ceiling it's not all that exciting.

QB, TB, WRs, OL----where's the ABT guy? Really.....what guys project to be even above the BT average player for their position? Camper & DJ Matthews maybe, who else? And Camper's a definite maybe.

There's more talent on the D, but who projects to potentially be an ABT level performer? Cam Jones, Mullen; maybe Fitzgerald, maybe Jaylin Williams??

I think what I'd really like to see is to get back to being stingy on D, and to be competent on O. And just to have a BT level performer at all positions. In other words, I'm hoping for average. That would be good to see but as a ceiling it's not all that exciting.

I'm an eternal optimist, especially this time of year...

I think we have some serious speed at the RB slot, sounds like we have a couple of guys who can actually catch the ball at WR and we have an OC who actually has a concept of what he's attempting to do...

On D we have depth on the DL, some quicks on the edge and some solid corners... What's not to like???

My biggest concern is whether we have the same guys who ran Summer workouts last year running them this year... 😳

Hopefully we'll have better leadership from the players this time around... Big Ten games are won or lost in the "off season"...

Last edited:

ILLINOIS FIGHTING ILLINI​

10750506.jpg
(Photo: USA TODAY Sports)
Bud's win total projection: 6
Brad's best bet: Even; Progress. Anyone who watched Illinois last season saw it under first-year coach Bret Bielema. He challenged his players publicly on several occasions and it seemed to work. The Fighting Illini lost four games by a touchdown or less and simply winning one of those contests would've resulted in a postseason invite. Illinois was that close. With improved execution offensively, Illinois has a chance to win its first four games of 2022 — Wyoming, at Indiana, Virginia and Chattanooga — heading into a showcase affair against Wisconsin. From there, the slate stiffens and will determine where Bielema's team stands at year's end.

NORTHWESTERN WILDCATS​

10643077.jpg
(Photo: David Banks, USA TODAY Sports)
Bud's win total projection: 3
Brad's best bet: Even; Pat Fitzgerald has seen better days with the Wildcats. Inconsistency at quarterback is just one of a myriad of issues affecting this program's success level at the moment and it appears things may get worse before they improve. Northwestern has a Big Ten Championship Game appearance sandwiched between two 3-9 finishes, which mark the worst seasons since Fitzgerald arrived in 2006. There's a chance Northwestern could end the upcoming 2022 campaign on an eight-game skid given the toughness of the schedule, unless the Wildcats are able to win at Maryland or topple Illinois in the season finale.

RUTGERS SCARLET KNIGHTS​

10619210.jpg
(Photo: Rick Osentoski, USA TODAY Sports)
Brad's best bet: Over; Rutgers can get to four wins, right? Wagner, at Boston College, Temple, at Maryland, Indiana ... those are all winnable contests and the Scarlet Knights showed last season they're going to be a feisty bunch against the good teams on the schedule as well under Greg Schiano. Mark this one down as an official play and one of the few you can take to the window in the Big Ten this season. If Rutgers wins the season opener away from home against Jeff Hafley and Boston College, the Scarlet Knights will cash.

PURDUE BOILERMAKERS​

10720663.jpg
(Photo: Jeffrey Becker, Getty)
Brad's best bet: Even; This pick changes in a hurry if Jeff Brohm's team wins its seismic opener against Penn State in West Lafayette, but the Boilermakers will be a betting underdog in that one as well as five others this season (projected). A .500 finish with a bowl berth will fall short of program expectations for a group coming off a momentous win over Tennessee in the Music City to cap the 2021 campaign. It'll be interesting to see where oddsmakers slot Purdue in the coming weeks when official win totals are released.

INDIANA HOOSIERS​

10651973.jpeg
(Photo: Gregory Fisher/Icon Sportswire, Getty)
Bud's win total projection: 4
Brad's best bet: Even; September could be make or break this season for the Hoosiers from an overall win total standpoint. The opener against Illinois is a toss-up and Week 2 against Idaho is a win. From there? Western Kentucky and a road game at Cincinnati round out the opening month and both contests will test Tom Allen's squad. With that in mind and projecting a 2-2 start, Indiana still has to play four of the best teams in the Big Ten — Michigan, Penn State, at Ohio State, at Michigan State — and a trip to Nebraska could be undesirable.

MINNESOTA GOLDEN GOPHERS​

10687615.jpg
Bud's win total projection: 9
Brad's best bet: Under; Nine wins for the Golden Gophers seems feasible with losses coming on the road against Wisconsin, Penn State and Michigan State. However, that would mean Minnesota takes care of business without a loss against the following — Purdue, at Nebraska, Iowa. That feels extremely tricky and much more doable should P.J. Fleck's squad win one of those aforementioned road contests against a nationally-ranked opponent. If Minnesota beats Michigan State in East Lansing, that likely results in a 5-0 start to the season heading into the open week. And for this under bettor, that's bad news.

MARYLAND TERRAPINS​

10750536.png
Bud's win total projection: 5
Brad's best bet: Over; The Big Ten will chew you up and spit you out if you're not careful and Mike Locksley may endure that level of brutality in November this season. How's this for murderer's row over the first three weeks of the final month — at Wisconsin, at Penn State, Ohio State. Gulp. If the Terrapins are still standing at that point, the finale at Rutgers could be the difference in a 5-7 finish or getting to bowl eligibility. Maryland plays Michigan and Michigan State, too. The get-in price is cheap on Maryland in April and Taulia Tagovailoa is developing into a difference-maker at the quarterback spot, but few teams can endure this kind of slate. Give me the over with Week 3 against SMU and the Rutgers finale being the two most important games in getting to a bowl.

IOWA HAWKEYES​

11016764.jpg
(Photo: Joseph Cress/ Iowa City Press Citizen, USA TODAY Sports)
Bud's win total projection: 7
Brad's best bet: Even; At first glance, Iowa's projected win total of seven looked like it was on the low side, but further inspection indicated getting back to the conference title game will be an arduous task. Not only do the Hawkeyes take on Purdue, Wisconsin and Minnesota in consecutive weeks during November, but they'll also entertain the two best teams from the other side of the conference — Michigan and Ohio State — after missing both during the regular season in 2021. Last spring was the time to buy stock in Iowa. The price-point is too costly this time around.

WISCONSIN BADGERS​

10825854.JPG
(Photo: ESPN Images)
Brad's best bet: Over; Wisconsin flatlined early against nationally-ranked competition last season before getting it together and nearly reaching the Big Ten Championship Game. The campaign fell noticeably short of expectations for a program most expected to be in playoff contention. The 2022 slate, while difficult, provides time for the Badgers to work themselves into a lather before opening the conference schedule at Ohio State Sept. 24. By that time, Wisconsin will be 3-0 and playing with confidence. Trips to Michigan State and Iowa are the two toughest matchups the rest of the way for the Badgers and their mission to win the division. With better quarterback play and a solid defense, Wisconsin hits the over and reaches the league title game.

NEBRASKA HUSKERS​

10487680.jpg
(Photo: © Bruce Thorson-USA TODAY Sports, USA TODAY Sports)
Brad's best bet: Under; There are a few programs you can blindly fade and potentially win this fall and Nebraska might be one of them. Sorry, I've made too many bad projections for the Huskers in the Scott Frost era to trust Nebraska being that much improved in 2022. In actuality, there's a strong chance the Huskers are above water and bowl-eligible entering November thanks to a soft first-half slate, but that's when the season goes south. Nebraska may not win a single game against Minnesota, at Michigan, Wisconsin and at Iowa to close things out. Still, 6-6 is progress.

MICHIGAN STATE SPARTANS​

10824525.jpg
Brad's best bet: Over; All Michigan State has to do is win eight games in 2022 and you've cashed the over. First, circle the possible losses — Ohio State, Wisconsin, at Michigan, at Penn State. Then, scribble down the favorable and most-likely wins — Western Michigan, Akron, at Maryland, at Illinois, Rutgers, Indiana. That leaves a road trip to Washington and a home showdown with Minnesota as swing games that will determine where Mel Tucker's team stands in late November. Despite personnel losses, for a team that won a New Year's Six bowl game last season, this is an optimistic wager.

PENN STATE NITTANY LIONS​

11018776.png
(Photo: Getty)
Bud's win total projection: 8
Brad's best bet: Even; Respectfully, Penn State has lost the benefit of the doubt this time of year coming off consecutive lackluster seasons. The Nittany Lions have fallen behind Ohio State, Michigan and even Michigan State in the Big Ten East's pecking order and enter the 2022 campaign in "prove it" mode for bettors. Over the first five games of the season, Penn State travels to Purdue and Auburn amid three winnable home games. Escaping that group unscathed will not happen and the Nittany Lions follow that up with matchups against Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio State and Michigan State over the season's second half. That's extremely difficult. Gauging the possibilities five months out from the opener, Penn State is closer to 7-5 than 9-3 next season.

MICHIGAN WOLVERINES​

10737907.jpg
(Photo: Rick Osentoski, Getty)
Bud's win total projection: 10
Brad's best bet: Even; Bud nailed this one. Michigan finishing 10-2 after winning the Big Ten Championship Game last season is considerably more likely than the Wolverines running the table after losing their top three defensive players along with facing a more daunting schedule. Michigan plays at Iowa, hosts Penn State and Michigan State, then takes on Ohio State in Columbus to close it out. Jim Harbaugh's team would have to win three of those — and win the other eight games on the schedule — to hit the over, here. That would be deserving of a playoff berth, even as an at-large if the Buckeyes take the conference with a matching or unbeaten record.

OHIO STATE BUCKEYES​

10648178.jpg
(Photo: Jason Mowry/Icon Sportswire, Getty)16COMMENTS
Bud's win total projection: 11
Brad's best bet: Even; Any picking Ohio State to finish unbeaten during the regular season en route to a College Football Playoff berth? Our early bowl projections place the Buckeyes in the final four, but that comes at 12-1 with a loss happening somewhere during the Big Ten gauntlet. As someone who has taken the over on several preseason win totals of 11 in the past, every week is excruciating. One loss and you're out of money. If you can find this number at 10.5 or 11.5 for the Buckeyes this spring, there's much more value there. Don't forget — Ohio State opens against Notre Dame in Week 1.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I'm an eternal optimist, especially this time of year...

I think we have some serious speed at the RB slot, sounds like we have a couple of guys who can actually catch the ball at WR and we have an OC who actually has a concept of what he's attempting to do...

On D we have depth on the DL, some quicks on the edge and some solid corners... What's not to like???

My biggest concern is that whoever ran Summer workouts last year are the same guys running them this year... Hopefully we have better leadership from the players this time around... Big Ten games are won or lost in the "off season"...
Was watching the Purdue at IU game 2007. Thigpen, Lewis and Hardy were so good. Especially in the first half. That team needed a coach. Backfield had some speed.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13

Concerning Camper; "Diligence" is nice, but to be expected, isn't it? I'd be more optimistic if he said something like: "I've been coaching 30 years and I've never seen such a combination of strength and speed"...

Concerning the QB: McCulley & Williams have "lots of room for growth". which is coach speak for "No way in hell are these guys ready to start". Tuttle? 'Leader & great teammate'. Wasn't he those things last year? Bazelak? "really good arm talent" OK, anything else??

The only really optimistic point made in either story is that we have 4 healthy QBs, which of course is a big deal, but something we already knew.
I think 18 ypc last JUCO season is enough, for some optimism about Camper.

Jaylin Williams was honorable mention last year and played basically every snap when he wasn't hurt. He was our best corner because we didn't have anyone else healthy. Pierre had to be moved from safety to corner, that's how bad it was back there.

Monster Mathews is a difference maker back there. He was hurt a lot last year (that was a theme with this team last year). His one healthy season, 3rd team all big 10.

Jones and Mullen have to stay healthy for us to be successful on defense. They are our leaders. Mullens little brother though is said to be a difference maker.

Trevis, the transfer from Cal, was honorable Pac 12 last year, so he's got talent on the line. We've gotta find some "dudes" up there.

Our success this year will be on the offensive side of the ball. I like our running backs. Shivers and Henderson should be a good 1-2 duo. The big 10 doesn't have a lot of backs like Shivers in it. Also, watch out for Jaylin Lucas, the freshman. We haven't had anyone like him in a LONG time. Get him in space and he won't be caught. A healthy David Ellis will help as well.

Our receivers are a question mark. D.J. is coming off a injury, but acl injuries are so common now that he shouldn't be held back any. Camper is absolutely tearing up camp from everything I've read. Simmons is also having a really good camp. Those 3 are clearly the top 3 receivers right now, but how does the rest fall in line.

Tight end, we're young. We've got Barner, who should be a good one and Steinfeldt. After them, a couple of true freshman. We don't have experience there, so that worries me a bit.

Offensive line is the monkey in the room. I have absolutely no idea who starts and who doesn't. If I were to guess, Bedford, Haggard and Carpenter start. Outside of those three, no idea. Again, we need to find some "dudes".

I think Bazelak gets the starting nod over Tuttle. He's done it in the SEC for 2 years. No disrespect to Jack, but I think Connor is more talented.

Keep in mind, we're not done adding people from the portal. Players are still visiting and we might still lose a player or two once spring is over after kids figure out where they are on the depth chart.

There is reason to be optimistic. You just have to look.

Jaylin Williams was honorable mention last year and played basically every snap when he wasn't hurt. He was our best corner because we didn't have anyone else healthy. Pierre had to be moved from safety to corner, that's how bad it was back there.

Monster Mathews is a difference maker back there. He was hurt a lot last year (that was a theme with this team last year). His one healthy season, 3rd team all big 10.

Jones and Mullen have to stay healthy for us to be successful on defense. They are our leaders. Mullens little brother though is said to be a difference maker.

Trevis, the transfer from Cal, was honorable Pac 12 last year, so he's got talent on the line. We've gotta find some "dudes" up there.

Our success this year will be on the offensive side of the ball. I like our running backs. Shivers and Henderson should be a good 1-2 duo. The big 10 doesn't have a lot of backs like Shivers in it. Also, watch out for Jaylin Lucas, the freshman. We haven't had anyone like him in a LONG time. Get him in space and he won't be caught. A healthy David Ellis will help as well.

Our receivers are a question mark. D.J. is coming off a injury, but acl injuries are so common now that he shouldn't be held back any. Camper is absolutely tearing up camp from everything I've read. Simmons is also having a really good camp. Those 3 are clearly the top 3 receivers right now, but how does the rest fall in line.

Tight end, we're young. We've got Barner, who should be a good one and Steinfeldt. After them, a couple of true freshman. We don't have experience there, so that worries me a bit.

Offensive line is the monkey in the room. I have absolutely no idea who starts and who doesn't. If I were to guess, Bedford, Haggard and Carpenter start. Outside of those three, no idea. Again, we need to find some "dudes".

I think Bazelak gets the starting nod over Tuttle. He's done it in the SEC for 2 years. No disrespect to Jack, but I think Connor is more talented.

Keep in mind, we're not done adding people from the portal. Players are still visiting and we might still lose a player or two once spring is over after kids figure out where they are on the depth chart.

There are reasons to be optimistic about IUFB this coming season. At a couple of positions IU has one of the best in the B1G IE Mulen, Shivers, Williams, Camper, Campbell, etc. Ignoring the players on the team is a mistake many make looking at this team thinking it is like the old days at IUFB. This appears to be a strong coaching staff that should be able to attack offenses, defenses, and STs. Yes, there are questions about a coach or two but we will have to wait and see how their groups do this season.

Optimistic is good but cautiously optimistic is where I have planted my flag.

Reactions: 76-1
Optimistic is good but cautiously optimistic is where I have planted my flag.

That's fine, but people are jumping off a cliff like 2-10 is the new norm, when in reality until last year and all those injuries to a ton of key players, Allen had this team on a upward trajectory.

I tend to think last year was the outlier and he will right the ship back to a bowl game, but that's me. Everyone is entitled to there own opinion.

That's fine, but people are jumping off a cliff like 2-10 is the new norm, when in reality until last year and all those injuries to a ton of key players, Allen had this team on a upward trajectory.

I tend to think last year was the outlier and he will right the ship back to a bowl game, but that's me. Everyone is entitled to there own opinion.
Ton of injuries and a major drop off in OC chops, not to mention the QB carousel but I still think if we would have not gotten that targeting call against Cinci the season would have turned out pretty decent.

People overlook how close we were to knocking off one of the top teams in the country just b/c Cinci’s not a traditional powerhouse.

ILLINOIS FIGHTING ILLINI​

10750506.jpg
Brad's best bet: Even; Progress. Anyone who watched Illinois last season saw it under first-year coach Bret Bielema. He challenged his players publicly on several occasions and it seemed to work. The Fighting Illini lost four games by a touchdown or less and simply winning one of those contests would've resulted in a postseason invite. Illinois was that close. With improved execution offensively, Illinois has a chance to win its first four games of 2022 — Wyoming, at Indiana, Virginia and Chattanooga — heading into a showcase affair against Wisconsin. From there, the slate stiffens and will determine where Bielema's team stands at year's end.

NORTHWESTERN WILDCATS​

10643077.jpg
(Photo: David Banks, USA TODAY Sports)
Brad's best bet: Even; Pat Fitzgerald has seen better days with the Wildcats. Inconsistency at quarterback is just one of a myriad of issues affecting this program's success level at the moment and it appears things may get worse before they improve. Northwestern has a Big Ten Championship Game appearance sandwiched between two 3-9 finishes, which mark the worst seasons since Fitzgerald arrived in 2006. There's a chance Northwestern could end the upcoming 2022 campaign on an eight-game skid given the toughness of the schedule, unless the Wildcats are able to win at Maryland or topple Illinois in the season finale.

RUTGERS SCARLET KNIGHTS​

10619210.jpg
(Photo: Rick Osentoski, USA TODAY Sports)
Brad's best bet: Over; Rutgers can get to four wins, right? Wagner, at Boston College, Temple, at Maryland, Indiana ... those are all winnable contests and the Scarlet Knights showed last season they're going to be a feisty bunch against the good teams on the schedule as well under Greg Schiano. Mark this one down as an official play and one of the few you can take to the window in the Big Ten this season. If Rutgers wins the season opener away from home against Jeff Hafley and Boston College, the Scarlet Knights will cash.

PURDUE BOILERMAKERS​

10720663.jpg
(Photo: Jeffrey Becker, Getty)
Brad's best bet: Even; This pick changes in a hurry if Jeff Brohm's team wins its seismic opener against Penn State in West Lafayette, but the Boilermakers will be a betting underdog in that one as well as five others this season (projected). A .500 finish with a bowl berth will fall short of program expectations for a group coming off a momentous win over Tennessee in the Music City to cap the 2021 campaign. It'll be interesting to see where oddsmakers slot Purdue in the coming weeks when official win totals are released.

INDIANA HOOSIERS​

10651973.jpeg
(Photo: Gregory Fisher/Icon Sportswire, Getty)
Bud's win total projection: 4
Brad's best bet: Even; September could be make or break this season for the Hoosiers from an overall win total standpoint. The opener against Illinois is a toss-up and Week 2 against Idaho is a win. From there? Western Kentucky and a road game at Cincinnati round out the opening month and both contests will test Tom Allen's squad. With that in mind and projecting a 2-2 start, Indiana still has to play four of the best teams in the Big Ten — Michigan, Penn State, at Ohio State, at Michigan State — and a trip to Nebraska could be undesirable.

MINNESOTA GOLDEN GOPHERS​

10687615.jpg
Brad's best bet: Under; Nine wins for the Golden Gophers seems feasible with losses coming on the road against Wisconsin, Penn State and Michigan State. However, that would mean Minnesota takes care of business without a loss against the following — Purdue, at Nebraska, Iowa. That feels extremely tricky and much more doable should P.J. Fleck's squad win one of those aforementioned road contests against a nationally-ranked opponent. If Minnesota beats Michigan State in East Lansing, that likely results in a 5-0 start to the season heading into the open week. And for this under bettor, that's bad news.

MARYLAND TERRAPINS

10750536.png
Bud's win total projection: 5
Brad's best bet: Over; The Big Ten will chew you up and spit you out if you're not careful and Mike Locksley may endure that level of brutality in November this season. How's this for murderer's row over the first three weeks of the final month — at Wisconsin, at Penn State, Ohio State. Gulp. If the Terrapins are still standing at that point, the finale at Rutgers could be the difference in a 5-7 finish or getting to bowl eligibility. Maryland plays Michigan and Michigan State, too. The get-in price is cheap on Maryland in April and Taulia Tagovailoa is developing into a difference-maker at the quarterback spot, but few teams can endure this kind of slate. Give me the over with Week 3 against SMU and the Rutgers finale being the two most important games in getting to a bowl.

IOWA HAWKEYES​

11016764.jpg
(Photo: Joseph Cress/ Iowa City Press Citizen, USA TODAY Sports)
Brad's best bet: Even; At first glance, Iowa's projected win total of seven looked like it was on the low side, but further inspection indicated getting back to the conference title game will be an arduous task. Not only do the Hawkeyes take on Purdue, Wisconsin and Minnesota in consecutive weeks during November, but they'll also entertain the two best teams from the other side of the conference — Michigan and Ohio State — after missing both during the regular season in 2021. Last spring was the time to buy stock in Iowa. The price-point is too costly this time around.

WISCONSIN BADGERS​

10825854.JPG
(Photo: ESPN Images)
Brad's best bet: Over; Wisconsin flatlined early against nationally-ranked competition last season before getting it together and nearly reaching the Big Ten Championship Game. The campaign fell noticeably short of expectations for a program most expected to be in playoff contention. The 2022 slate, while difficult, provides time for the Badgers to work themselves into a lather before opening the conference schedule at Ohio State Sept. 24. By that time, Wisconsin will be 3-0 and playing with confidence. Trips to Michigan State and Iowa are the two toughest matchups the rest of the way for the Badgers and their mission to win the division. With better quarterback play and a solid defense, Wisconsin hits the over and reaches the league title game.

NEBRASKA HUSKERS​

10487680.jpg
(Photo: © Bruce Thorson-USA TODAY Sports, USA TODAY Sports)
Brad's best bet: Under; There are a few programs you can blindly fade and potentially win this fall and Nebraska might be one of them. Sorry, I've made too many bad projections for the Huskers in the Scott Frost era to trust Nebraska being that much improved in 2022. In actuality, there's a strong chance the Huskers are above water and bowl-eligible entering November thanks to a soft first-half slate, but that's when the season goes south. Nebraska may not win a single game against Minnesota, at Michigan, Wisconsin and at Iowa to close things out. Still, 6-6 is progress.

MICHIGAN STATE SPARTANS​

10824525.jpg
Brad's best bet: Over; All Michigan State has to do is win eight games in 2022 and you've cashed the over. First, circle the possible losses — Ohio State, Wisconsin, at Michigan, at Penn State. Then, scribble down the favorable and most-likely wins — Western Michigan, Akron, at Maryland, at Illinois, Rutgers, Indiana. That leaves a road trip to Washington and a home showdown with Minnesota as swing games that will determine where Mel Tucker's team stands in late November. Despite personnel losses, for a team that won a New Year's Six bowl game last season, this is an optimistic wager.

PENN STATE NITTANY LIONS​

11018776.png
(Photo: Getty)
Bud's win total projection: 8
Brad's best bet: Even; Respectfully, Penn State has lost the benefit of the doubt this time of year coming off consecutive lackluster seasons. The Nittany Lions have fallen behind Ohio State, Michigan and even Michigan State in the Big Ten East's pecking order and enter the 2022 campaign in "prove it" mode for bettors. Over the first five games of the season, Penn State travels to Purdue and Auburn amid three winnable home games. Escaping that group unscathed will not happen and the Nittany Lions follow that up with matchups against Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio State and Michigan State over the season's second half. That's extremely difficult. Gauging the possibilities five months out from the opener, Penn State is closer to 7-5 than 9-3 next season.

MICHIGAN WOLVERINES​

10737907.jpg
(Photo: Rick Osentoski, Getty)
Bud's win total projection: 10
Brad's best bet: Even; Bud nailed this one. Michigan finishing 10-2 after winning the Big Ten Championship Game last season is considerably more likely than the Wolverines running the table after losing their top three defensive players along with facing a more daunting schedule. Michigan plays at Iowa, hosts Penn State and Michigan State, then takes on Ohio State in Columbus to close it out. Jim Harbaugh's team would have to win three of those — and win the other eight games on the schedule — to hit the over, here. That would be deserving of a playoff berth, even as an at-large if the Buckeyes take the conference with a matching or unbeaten record.

OHIO STATE BUCKEYES​

10648178.jpg
(Photo: Jason Mowry/Icon Sportswire, Getty)16COMMENTS
Bud's win total projection: 11
Brad's best bet: Even; Any picking Ohio State to finish unbeaten during the regular season en route to a College Football Playoff berth? Our early bowl projections place the Buckeyes in the final four, but that comes at 12-1 with a loss happening somewhere during the Big Ten gauntlet. As someone who has taken the over on several preseason win totals of 11 in the past, every week is excruciating. One loss and you're out of money. If you can find this number at 10.5 or 11.5 for the Buckeyes this spring, there's much more value there. Don't forget — Ohio State opens against Notre Dame in Week 1.
Who are Bud and Brad?

I see no way that a good portion of this happens. I’d never bet against Pat Fitzgerald. They have them at 3 wins?
Hell, they seem to have most of the conference at 3-5 wins? There are like 9-10 teams from the Big going to bowls every year, meaning only 4 teams will be under 6 wins. With exception of OSU, I bet their prognostications are off at year end. We can revisit this the first week of December.

Was watching the Purdue at IU game 2007. Thigpen, Lewis and Hardy were so good. Especially in the first half. That team needed a coach. Backfield had some speed.
We won that game and you're bitching about the coach?

Lol. Yes. Let the 4th quarter lead dwindle. That should’ve been Heps great year. Sad really.
lmao He beats Purdue with their best coach ever, wins 7 games, goes to a bowl game....

And this as an interim coach whose HC was dying of cancer from the year before.

Sounds like a pretty good year to me.

But you do you.

lmao He beats Purdue with their best coach ever, wins 7 games, goes to a bowl game....

And this as an interim coach whose HC was dying of cancer from the year before.

Sounds like a pretty good year to me.

But you do you.
Don’t worry I will. I guess I need a talkin’ too. How did that interim coach work out? We lost the best coach to a nasty disease. Trust me I know all about it. Gliomas are terrible.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Don’t worry I will. I guess I need a talkin’ too. How did that interim coach work out? We lost the best coach to a nasty disease. Trust me I know all about it. Gliomas are terrible.
The interim coach had to deal with 2 years of bad recruiting because of Hep's illness and he was 5-7 his last year - beating Purdue. That would qualify as one of IU's top seasons.

He would have been 6-6, but for Demarlo Belcher dropping a wide open pass in the end zone against Iowa.

I know all about it, too. My MIL had it.

Last edited:
Reactions: hoosier roadtrips
The interim coach had to deal with 2 years of bad recruiting because of Hep's illness and he was 5-7 his last year - beating Purdue. That would qualify as one of IU's top seasons.

He would have been 6-6, but Demarlo Belcher dropped a wide open pass in the end zone against Iowa.

I know all about it, too. My MIL had it.
My wife has been fighting it for 7 years. Cousin passed years ago with it.

• Sad
Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
My wife has been fighting it for 7 years. Cousin passed years ago with it.
I'm really sorry for your wife's and your struggles with it.

My MIL went to Duke for treatments. I guess they are the best. What they did worked for a while - she actually made a miraculous recovery after we thought she was gone. It lasted for a year and then she went downhill quickly. So sad. I'm so sorry for what you're going through.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT