ADVERTISEMENT

Here are photos of people born before the Revolutionary War.

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
John Adams was born in 1745:
johnadams.png

Hannah Stilley Gorby was born in 1746:
gorby.jpg

And perhaps even beating both of them, here is a slave named Caesar who was supposedly born in 1737:
caesarweb.jpg

These are all copies of daguerreotypes made between 1840 and 1851.

And although she wasn't born before the War, as a bonus, here is perhaps the oldest photo of a legit hottie: Dorothy Draper, born in 1807, and photographed in 1839; it is the oldest known portrait of a woman:
Dorothy_Catherine_Draper.jpg

Dottie was probably

a legit 7 back then.
Seriously, those are pretty cool. I majored in U.S. history at IU and love looking at old pics like that
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Here's my favorite historical thing of all time.

You might have seen it before..

In 1956, a 96 year old man named Samuel Seymour appeared on I've Got a Secret. His secret was that he was actually in Ford's Theatre and witnessed the shooting of Abraham Lincoln.

This kind of stuff fascinates me. It's amazing to think just how close we are to things that seem so far away. My own dad probably watched this show of a man who saw Lincoln shot. Boggles the mind.

Holy crap.

This one's even better.

There are longer versions of all of these out there, but this is a Nightline special from 1999 that showcased recordings made in the 1930s and 1940s of actual former slaves remembering what it was like when they were slaves.

Good ol' days

Do you have any pics of the glory days of IU basketball?

They would be from a time long ago. I've heard of it, but am having a difficult time remembering.

You mean when we were the 4th seed?

I swear, some of our "fans" need a history lesson.

They are "special".

Was thinking

About this. My dad was born 45 years after Lincoln was assisinated. As we get older we realize what a blink of an eye that really is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT