ADVERTISEMENT

Last night my 12 year old daughter and I were watching a documentary

Eppy99

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 27, 2001
On Woodstock. Much of the beginning talked about what led to the counter culture movement and specifically the anti-war protests. I started thinking afterwards is are country currently moving in a parallel direction. Even before the recent SCOTUS decisions we’ve already seen this decade people protesting and a nation divided. I wasn’t born until 1974, but I’m curious from those who lived through that time what might me glean from that time In history. Granted that was a anti-war movement but it seems there might be some similarities. Perhaps an anti-establishment movement with frustrated citizens upset with their government…just kinda thinking out loud here.
Might we be in for another counter culture movement or has it already begun?

Reactions: larsIU
On Woodstock. Much of the beginning talked about what led to the counter culture movement and specifically the anti-war protests. I started thinking afterwards is are country currently moving in a parallel direction. Even before the recent SCOTUS decisions we’ve already seen this decade people protesting and a nation divided. I wasn’t born until 1974, but I’m curious from those who lived through that time what might me glean from that time In history. Granted that was a anti-war movement but it seems there might be some similarities. Perhaps an anti-establishment movement with frustrated citizens upset with their government…just kinda thinking out loud here.
Coincidentally, I watched Miracle last night with my 12 year old son. I'd never seen it. The first 5 minutes, during the opening credits, they run through the history of the 70s, with distrust in govt, high gas prices, inflation, lack of confidence in the country.

I was thinking our time now seems very similar to that time period.

Interestingly, Woodstock occurred in 1969 which is the year I often call the end of "liberalism" as I see it.

The anti war crowd along with druggies as being a product of "liberalism" and a future generation of what America might become set the stage for a long term revolution often referred to as a conservative movement to restore traditional values.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Coincidentally, I watched Miracle last night with my 12 year old son. I'd never seen it. The first 5 minutes, during the opening credits, they run through the history of the 70s, with distrust in govt, high gas prices, inflation, lack of confidence in the country.

I was thinking our time now seems very similar to that time period.
My friend played hockey at Minny for that coach. Jim Ryan. Sweet guy. Died a few years back. His dad was Buddy

Granted that was a anti-war movement but it seems there might be some similarities. Perhaps an anti-establishment movement with frustrated citizens upset with their government…just kinda thinking out loud here.

The anti-war movement didn't gain much traction among the Silent Majority until they began having their own sons come home in body bags and there was nothing being gained in Vietnam to show for it. The college kids with their draft deferments had their demonstrations, but the broader general public was okay with the war until it became obvious it was fruitless. At that point, for many, it became an "anti-draft" movement. The working class middle class got tired of their kids being used as cannon fodder.

Nixon claimed to have a "plan" and promised "peace with honor", while the Democrats were in disarray, and Nixon got elected. During his first term, he slowly drew down our presence (with notable exceptions like the Cambodia incursion), was handing more of the effort over to the ARVN, and most likely would have had us out of there by the end of his second term. That fell to Ford, and while he took the shit for the fall of Saigon, it wouldn't have been any different under Nixon.

There's really no comparison between those days and these, aside from the divisiveness.

The anti-war movement didn't gain much traction among the Silent Majority until they began having their own sons come home in body bags and there was nothing being gained in Vietnam to show for it. The college kids with their draft deferments had their demonstrations, but the broader general public was okay with the war until it became obvious it was fruitless. At that point, for many, it became an "anti-draft" movement. The working class middle class got tired of their kids being used as cannon fodder.

Nixon claimed to have a "plan" and promised "peace with honor", while the Democrats were in disarray, and Nixon got elected. During his first term, he slowly drew down our presence (with notable exceptions like the Cambodia incursion), was handing more of the effort over to the ARVN, and most likely would have had us out of there by the end of his second term. That fell to Ford, and while he took the shit for the fall of Saigon, it wouldn't have been any different under Nixon.

There's really no comparison between those days and these, aside from the divisiveness.
Television made a big difference

There was one huge difference. The music then was galacticly better.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT