ADVERTISEMENT

Hep's Rock has been moved

I thought I read that a "tunnel" was to be formed on the North end for players to run out onto the field, so removing the rock barrier would facilitate this entry. In addition this enables fans & players to honor Coach Hep. One other change appers that the black base with white letters "Hep's Rock" now features the original, engraved signage "The Rock".

Last edited:
Heps goal was to give a tradition (The Walk) and some sort of moniker (The Rock) for the stadium. As we know, IU has no mascot and the only identity since the early 90's had been inept football.

By placing the Rock out front to start, that likely wouldn't have created any real resonation around the team and fans establishing that nickname. Placing it on the field to draw lots of attention was the way to go in order to establish its purpose but now that we all have a good grasp and the moniker is now "set in stone" (see what I did there?), having it out front actually does make a lot of sense. If they want to make a smaller replica to have in the tunnel for the players to touch, then so be it but it's not the most efficient use of space in the stadium. ha

I disagree with your disagreement and raise you one taboo statement:
I've always thought calling Memorial Stadium "the rock" was beyond silly and if they were going to call it anything related to a rock, it should have been called The Quarry". Hep was a great guy but he whiffed big time on that one (in my opinion)...

Last edited:
I've always thought calling Memorial Stadium "the rock" was beyond silly and if they were going to call it anything related to a rock, it should have been called The Quarry". Hep was a great guy but he whiffed big time on that one (in my opinion)...

/Wait one count while I put my helmet on to respond...😉/🙉🙈🙊
I like “The Rock”. Local culture is rock inspired…some of the world’s highest grade limestone lies beneath our campus, thanks to our positioning in a shallow sea and erosion of the Appalachian Mountains, way back when Bloomington was south of the equator (hint for those of stupefied look: think plate tectonics). Assembly Hall and Memorial Stadium were built on this limestone bedrock. You won’t ever see cracks in the poured concrete of either venue, for this foundation ain’t going anywhere anytime soon, no anyway, all but fully guaranteed or your money back.

Hep personally picked out the rock. One can only assume he felt it had the necessary “juju“. It was located alongside the pathway east of Mellencamp’s Pavilion. There are still other discarded limestone quarry rocks to be seen here. The holes in the rock were used for inserting dynamite sticks and later, carrying poles during transportation. In the photo, the base looks to be overdue for a cleaning and touch up paint on the lettering. Twenty jars of Testors black gloss might do it. Hopefully, the powers that be don’t need to read this to realize it. I trust they’ll get it all figured out, this rock thing. Hell, they were smart enough to devise a way to get rid of Knight, putting the onus on him, knowing full well he was a walking powder keg of pissed-off emotion, ready to explode at the slightest hint of disrespect. And then it happened, as it was designed to do. Sign me still bitter after all these years.

Meanwhile, back at The Rock…I used to like it when they had The Quarry painted on the stadium wall in front of the student section. A Cheshire-eating grin would inevitably find my face, taking it all in. It was not only unique, but made common sense, in keeping with the theme. Who decided it was no longer a good idea? I’d like to address this person, querying “Why the way of thinking such? Was that it not good enough?”

And yet, it's the only tradition that has stood for the past quarter+ century, so maybe he didn't?

Hep would want the students to have access, and wouldn’t mind regular fans either.

It’s a smart move long overdue.
What can you possibly mean by it being long overdue that we move Hep's Rock? What was the opportunity cost of having it in the NEZ (that he got built) during the time period that we kept it there that was too long for you?

What can you possibly mean by it being long overdue that we move Hep's Rock? What was the opportunity cost of having it in the NEZ (that he got built) during the time period that we kept it there that was too long for you?
Fathers and sons deserve to have a picture taken together by Hep’s Rock.

The players will still use it as a pre-game moment, at the end of The Walk, and this way the Knot Hole Gang can too.

It’s more democratic.

Let the regular folk touch The Rock!

Not the end of the world. This gives fans access to it. Since 2006, it’s sat in the endzone with hardly a notice. The more changes we can bring to our football program, the better. Out with the old Indiana
Need a shakeup. New band director. Hire a guy from a HBCU who can bring some energy and showmanship to the 100 walking dead…..err.. Marching Hundred.
We need more risqué cheerleader outfits. The family atmosphere can take a back seat. The place needs to be a little more edgy. Make it uncomfortable for visitors.
This is football, not an outdoor art fair.

I like “The Rock”. Local culture is rock inspired…some of the world’s highest grade limestone lies beneath our campus, thanks to our positioning in a shallow sea and erosion of the Appalachian Mountains, way back when Bloomington was south of the equator (hint for those of stupefied look: think plate tectonics). Assembly Hall and Memorial Stadium were built on this limestone bedrock. You won’t ever see cracks in the poured concrete of either venue, for this foundation ain’t going anywhere anytime soon, no anyway, all but fully guaranteed or your money back.

Hep personally picked out the rock. One can only assume he felt it had the necessary “juju“. It was located alongside the pathway east of Mellencamp’s Pavilion. There are still other discarded limestone quarry rocks to be seen here. The holes in the rock were used for inserting dynamite sticks and later, carrying poles during transportation. In the photo, the base looks to be overdue for a cleaning and touch up paint on the lettering. Twenty jars of Testors black gloss might do it. Hopefully, the powers that be don’t need to read this to realize it. I trust they’ll get it all figured out, this rock thing. Hell, they were smart enough to devise a way to get rid of Knight, putting the onus on him, knowing full well he was a walking powder keg of pissed-off emotion, ready to explode at the slightest hint of disrespect. And then it happened, as it was designed to do. Sign me still bitter after all these years.

Meanwhile, back at The Rock…I used to like it when they had The Quarry painted on the stadium wall in front of the student section. A Cheshire-eating grin would inevitably find my face, taking it all in. It was not only unique, but made common sense, in keeping with the theme. Who decided it was no longer a good idea? I’d like to address this person, querying “Why the way of thinking such? Was that it not good enough?”
I'm aware of the history of the area and you completely made my point as to why it should be called The Quarry (with actual quarrying activities historically surrounding it...)

I'm old enough to remember when there were active Quarry operations still going on within a mile of the stadium and when you could simply look out your car window to see working quarries along SR 37 and SR 46.

I used to swim, dive and cross a left over cable hand over hand in good old Strong Box Quarry of Breaking Away fame...

A "Quarry" is were men work... (and later where we played once many of them were abandoned)... Calling something The Rock that doesn't look anything like a rock from any angle just makes little sense in my opinion...

To sum up, I'm all for moving the actual rock to its new position (which is most likely close to where it was actually recovered that I'm guessing was just east of indoor practice facility)..., and I'd much prefer the stadium lose the silly moniker (which makes zero sense)...

Last edited:
I'm aware of the history of the area and you completely made my point as to why it should be called The Quarry (with actual quarrying activities historically surrounding it...)

I'm old enough to remember when there were active Quarry operations still going on within a mile of the stadium and when you could simply look out your car window to see working quarries along SR 37 and SR 46.

I used to swim, dive and cross a left over cable hand over hand in good old Strong Box Quarry of Breaking Away fame...

A "Quarry" is were men work... (and later where we played once many of them were abandoned)... Calling something The Rock that doesn't look anything like a rock from any angle just makes little sense in my opinion...

To sum up, I'm all for moving the actual rock to its new position (which is most likely close to where it was actually recovered that I'm guessing was just east of indoor practice facility)..., and I'd much prefer the stadium lose the silly moniker (which makes zero sense)...
I wish we would just call it Memorial Stadium.

I wish we would just call it Memorial Stadium.
IU’s “Memorial Stadium” should be used for more formal occasions of somber note, official in nature. Anything else is merely a fun-loving term of endearment conjuring a mental image of a more raucous environment. Analogous to it would be UM’s “Michigan Stadium” being dubbed “The Big House”.

Sounds like the family was in agreement and supported the move to make the Rock more accessible to the fans so if they are okay with the move then so am I.

I'm all for the changes being made. CCC said it was time to change the "Brand" of IU football. I like the attempt to break IU football down to the bones and build it back up. The flip of the Roster, the change of the student section, moving the Rock, changing the food vendors, the way the team takes the field, etc. I'm all for it if it moves the program towards relevancy.

Agree that the Quarry would have been a better "name" for the stadium, than "the Rock", with the Rock being a symbol of the Quarry, but that's water over the dam now.

I liked it where it was. No need to call extra attention to it. Why can't anyone be subtle about anything?

Don't like the pedestal or "The Rock" on the pedestal. Too pretentious, because if anyone asks the only story behind it is that it was "Hep's Rock". Not that anything really happened on or near the rock. If you have to have a pedestal, put "Hep's Rock" on it.

All just my opinion.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Agree that the Quarry would have been a better "name" for the stadium, than "the Rock", with the Rock being a symbol of the Quarry, but that's water over the dam now.

I liked it where it was. No need to call extra attention to it. Why can't anyone be subtle about anything?

Don't like the pedestal or "The Rock" on the pedestal. Too pretentious, because if anyone asks the only story behind it is that it was "Hep's Rock". Not that anything really happened on or near the rock. If you have to have a pedestal, put "Hep's Rock" on it.

All just my opinion.
I like to think rock is strength in nature, representing solidarity and resilience.

Not every gesture of man needs an interesting story behind it. That big rock is just what it is, depending upon one’s personal definition of what “is” is. If someone has to ask the meaning of it, it’s story, they’re overthinking it. Truth of the matter is, it can be anything YOU want it to be, symbolic or real.

IU’s “Memorial Stadium” should be used for more formal occasions of somber note, official in nature. Anything else is merely a fun-loving term of endearment conjuring a mental image of a more raucous environment. Analogous to it would be UM’s “Michigan Stadium” being dubbed “The Big House”.
Have you ever heard any individual (outside the IU Athletic Department) refer to Memorial Stadium as "The Rock"... I sure haven't...

Other than Hep having said it once (and with all due respect to both he and his family..., I thought it was a silly thing to say then...).

Now this isn't an issue I desire to make an enemy over by going to to the mat with it, I'm just stating that, from my perspective at least, it's a silly nickname with zero basis in anything that makes any sense... The Athletic Department may as well call it "The Large Concrete Edifice"... that'd be just as silly but at least they'd be accurate... The Quarry makes a heck of a lot more sense (to me anyway),

Okay, said my piece on the topic, I usually enjoy the posts of those in favor of it so I'll just continue to that and move on...

Have you ever heard any individual (outside the IU Athletic Department) refer to Memorial Stadium as "The Rock"... I sure haven't...

Other than Hep having said it once (and with all due respect to both he and his family..., I thought it was a silly thing to say then...).

Now this isn't an issue I desire to make an enemy over by going to to the mat with it, I'm just stating that, from my perspective at least, it's a silly nickname with zero basis in anything that makes any sense... The Athletic Department may as well call it "The Large Concrete Edifice"... that'd be just as silly but at least they'd be accurate... The Quarry makes a heck of a lot more sense (to me anyway),

Okay, said my piece on the topic, I usually enjoy the posts of those in favor of it so I'll just continue to that and move on...
I tell you what, let’s just all agree to meet somewhere in the middle, calling it “The Rock Quarry”, allowing Hoosier Nation to move on together as One in a show of unity, minds at peace.

That said, the uniqueness of “The Large Concrete Edifice” does hold promise, given some major twerking…excuse me, tweaking.

I tell you what, let’s just all agree to meet somewhere in the middle, calling it “The Rock Quarry”, allowing Hoosier Nation to move on together as One in a show of unity, minds at peace.

That said, the uniqueness of “The Large Concrete Edifice” does hold promise, given some major twerking…excuse me, tweaking.
One thing I'd like to see, no matter what we call it, is some rough cut INDIANA Limestone facing put on the concrete from field level to about 7 feet up with a crimson line above it so we differentiate ourselves from a large high school stadium...

I imagine the Athletic Department will be as interested in doing that as they are in changing the nickname 😖😑

😎🍺

While we're at it, let's give the Rock a mic on the field and have him address our opponents right before kick-off...

The Rock Shut Up GIF by WWE

One thing I'd like to see, no matter what we call it, is some rough cut INDIANA Limestone facing put on the concrete from field level to about 7 feet up with a crimson line above it so we differentiate ourselves from a large high school stadium...

I imagine the Athletic Department will be as interested in doing that as they are in changing the nickname 😖😑

😎🍺
We might want to take the rough-cut, coalesced shell facing idea a step further...position a quarry crane in the south end zone with the American flag attached to its apex. This would allow the flag's position to be changed as needed to eliminate the sight interference currently troubling sections of the east side spectator zone. Naked coeds streaking across the field during time-outs would enhance the quarry feel for sexually frustrated alums and as word gets out, just might increase ticket sells.

We might want to take the rough-cut, coalesced shell facing idea a step further...position a quarry crane in the south end zone with the American flag attached to its apex. This would allow the flag's position to be changed as needed to eliminate the sight interference currently troubling sections of the east side spectator zone. Naked coeds streaking across the field during time-outs would enhance the quarry feel for sexually frustrated alums and as word gets out, just might increase ticket sells.
That one needed a "like" (the flag) and a "laugh" (the streaking co-eds)... Rivals needs more expressive emojis (now There's a hill to die on [and somehow find a way to be permanently banned 😑🙊]...).

I could go with your flag crane but somewhere outside the stadium that could be seen from inside it by about 3/4's of the fans and for a couple of miles around from the outside, Day and Night... We could put it right next to the Bison enclosure (near the viewing platform) 😉

Don F. always says it when opening his home broadcasts. I agree with you that it really hasn't caught on (and won't with this change either) because it really doesn't make much sense. But it was fine where it was. Trying to make a bigger deal out of it only looks pretentious, imo. But give them an E for effort.

😎🍺

Interesting thought.

I'd like to see a statute of Bill Mallory with AT, ala the statute of George T. on the north end. And also a statute of Bo M. with Pete Pihos. I'm less than thrilled with the statutes on the south side of the boys and girls in their underwear, although I do appreciate the artistry. Given that that work is so big, I'd like to see smaller works of the type mentioned a decent distance to the NE and a decent distance to the NW on the South side.

I think you just want a strip bar in the endzone.

I'm not a huge fan of this move, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I think we could have done a better job of connecting more recent fans/students to Hep and his legacy and the Rock would have more meaning to people that weren't here for that time or fans at that time. So now there's this relatively small subset of fans that 'gets' Hep's Rock and then there's a bunch of newer fans that are like 'oh, cool'. Moving it out of site of most fans isn't going to help build any more of a bond unless more is done to tie people to his legacy, which I doubt will happen. So now it's just a rock sitting outside of the stadium

Reactions: Chriselli and TMFT
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT