ADVERTISEMENT

Hardy / McCulley

daddyhoosier

Junior
Aug 31, 2019
iufb.net
It's probably not fair to make this comparison and I'm not making any kind of prediction but at least in terms of Donaven McCulley's body frame I keep thinking back to James Hardy. Hardy was listed at 6-5, 220, McCulley is currently listed at 6-5, 210. Hardy's 40 time is listed at 4.49, I found an article that lists McCulley's 40 at 4.6. So I don't know if that's 4.69, 4.6 flat, or somewhere in between. McCulley came in listed at 195 so he's already added some weight and my guess is in the next offseason or two he'll probably add 5-10 lbs more. (The listed weight may be a little inflated.) He might be able to shave up to a tenth off his 40 time too with good training.
What I don't know much about are 1) does he naturally have good hands and 2) does he have a natural ability to adjust to the flight of the ball. Obviously with more reps he will improve over time but if there is a natural talent for it that he's building on he could become a real weapon. I just saw a Tweet quoting him as saying he's always wanted to play receiver. I'm not sure how much of that is just him saying the right thing but if he truly wants to play the position that's a good sign. Perhaps he's identified this as the clearest path to the NFL? Not sure but I'm certainly anxious to see how he looks out there. I think having a receiver with great size will complement what DJ Matthews can do nicely.

Reports about DMc are good so far and with Fall camp being another couple of weeks to get ready for the season. He had all Spring to develop and as a BB player and track runner in high school WR isn't that foreign to him. Look at the WR room in another year and after; it could be the best in the B1G or near the best.

It's probably not fair to make this comparison and I'm not making any kind of prediction but at least in terms of Donaven McCulley's body frame I keep thinking back to James Hardy. Hardy was listed at 6-5, 220, McCulley is currently listed at 6-5, 210. Hardy's 40 time is listed at 4.49, I found an article that lists McCulley's 40 at 4.6. So I don't know if that's 4.69, 4.6 flat, or somewhere in between. McCulley came in listed at 195 so he's already added some weight and my guess is in the next offseason or two he'll probably add 5-10 lbs more. (The listed weight may be a little inflated.) He might be able to shave up to a tenth off his 40 time too with good training.
What I don't know much about are 1) does he naturally have good hands and 2) does he have a natural ability to adjust to the flight of the ball. Obviously with more reps he will improve over time but if there is a natural talent for it that he's building on he could become a real weapon. I just saw a Tweet quoting him as saying he's always wanted to play receiver. I'm not sure how much of that is just him saying the right thing but if he truly wants to play the position that's a good sign. Perhaps he's identified this as the clearest path to the NFL? Not sure but I'm certainly anxious to see how he looks out there. I think having a receiver with great size will complement what DJ Matthews can do nicely.

He definitely has the frame and potential but his speed and hands are only half of being a great WR. Can he get off the line in press coverage? Downfield block? Can he get open? I think he will or can develop into a great receiver but I wouldn’t expect it to be this year.

If I had to guess, just based off feedback so far (which really isn't saying much) is that I think long term he is showing high end potential. For this season though, I think he has a lot of potential to be a 3rd and long or goal line WR for us right away. As long as he can go up and get the ball, he would very much have a James Hardy type offering. The positive feedback has been quite intriguing though, especially with CTA talking about being surprised with his ability to RAC.

If I had to guess, just based off feedback so far (which really isn't saying much) is that I think long term he is showing high end potential. For this season though, I think he has a lot of potential to be a 3rd and long or goal line WR for us right away. As long as he can go up and get the ball, he would very much have a James Hardy type offering. The positive feedback has been quite intriguing though, especially with CTA talking about being surprised with his ability to RAC.
DM doesn't have the years of experience catching footballs with a DB hanging all over him. It seems that would take some tome to get used to. Physically similar but DM is the better athlete which is saying something.

DM doesn't have the years of experience catching footballs with a DB hanging all over him. It seems that would take some tome to get used to. Physically similar but DM is the better athlete which is saying something.
People forget that J Hardy didn't have much football experience in his background coming to IU. I think he didn't play until his junior year of high school. I don't worry too much about DMc lack of experience this season as his talent will let him excel and he can keep getting better each year as he learns more techniques of WR.

People forget that J Hardy didn't have much football experience in his background coming to IU. I think he didn't play until his junior year of high school. I don't worry too much about DMc lack of experience this season as his talent will let him excel and he can keep getting better each year as he learns more techniques of WR.
Oh, I don't disagree, I just think that the rceiver-specific skills and most importantly comfort will take time.

Hardy was a bball player who played football as someone who just went up and got that ball. He didn't run great routes or even know how to get into open spaces but he used his bball skills to high point the ball and of course bring it in. Its a skillset that comes more naturally and as Hardy proved at IU, doesn't take long at all to hone in.

He definitely has the frame and potential but his speed and hands are only half of being a great WR. Can he get off the line in press coverage? Downfield block? Can he get open? I think he will or can develop into a great receiver but I wouldn’t expect it to be this year.
Good points. I think one of the keys to the DeBoer offense was how well Westbrook and Hale blocked downfield. If I were an OC I would flat tell my WRs if you want to play you are going to block. If you aren't going to block don't expect to play.
The most likely scenario is that we'll see some flashes this year but it may take another season or two for him to start putting all the pieces together. Whatever he shows a knack for early (say high-pointing the ball), build in plays around that and work out and develop from there.

Hardy was a bball player who played football as someone who just went up and got that ball. He didn't run great routes or even know how to get into open spaces but he used his bball skills to high point the ball and of course bring it in. Its a skillset that comes more naturally and as Hardy proved at IU, doesn't take long at all to hone in.
DMc played BB all through school so he has those same skills too and will learn as he goes why giving IU skills they can use.

Reactions: YOTHN and 76-1
His hands are the biggest factor at this point. How are his hands? He has the the physical tools. He will be able to out size and out jump a lot of DBs right of the gate. Can he actually catch the ball though?

If yes he'll be a weapon immediately. If no, then he probably wont be playing a ton. If yes and then he develops good route running and blocking(very big ifs) then he will an extremely dangerous weapon.

His hands are the biggest factor at this point. How are his hands? He has the the physical tools. He will be able to out size and out jump a lot of DBs right of the gate. Can he actually catch the ball though?

If yes he'll be a weapon immediately. If no, then he probably wont be playing a ton. If yes and then he develops good route running and blocking(very big ifs) then he will an extremely dangerous weapon.
It is clear he can catch the ball but tough catches we will see. It has been reported he is a vicious blocker as a WR, so I don't think that is an issue. Too many are raising about how DMc can fail while coaches are raving about him as a receiver. I understand why people are questioning a new receiver that hasn't played the position before. I hope after the Illinois game, many concerns about the Hoosiers are answered positively.

It is clear he can catch the ball but tough catches we will see. It has been reported he is a vicious blocker as a WR, so I don't think that is an issue. Too many are raising about how DMc can fail while coaches are raving about him as a receiver. I understand why people are questioning a new receiver that hasn't played the position before. I hope after the Illinois game, many concerns about the Hoosiers are answered positively.
Where did you see the reports about his blocking ability? I hadn’t heard that.

Where did you see the reports about his blocking ability? I hadn’t heard that.
I didn't save the site, my wife says it is a fault of me, so I can't link to it. It was just a surprise to me that it stuck with me; I remember them talking about him down blocking at the second level, so it has to be a video on YouTube.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Here's D Mc's view of things... :

Sounds to me like he's 100% committed to playing WR for the long term...

I believe we'll all be pleasantly surprised by how fast he picks things up and becomes a real force to be reckoned with at WR...

I watched him play basketball in HS and he appeared to me to be the most athletic guy on the floor, with very soft hands... That bodes well for his transition to receiver..., in my opinion...

I believe we'll all be pleasantly surprised by how fast he picks things up and becomes a real force to be reckoned with at WR...

I watched him play basketball in HS and he appeared to me to be the most athletic guy on the floor, with very soft hands... That bodes well for his transition to receiver..., in my opinion...
I think his personality and way he comes across in that interview is a plus too as to his mindset.

I think his personality and way he comes across in that interview is a plus too as to his mindset.
I like this aspect as well. I hate to sound like a broken record, but catching balls with a DB hanging on your shoulder and catching balls knowing you are about to get blasted are acquired skills that may take several games to develop.

Very good basketball player, just a stellar athlete.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
I didn't save the site, my wife says it is a fault of me, so I can't link to it. It was just a surprise to me that it stuck with me; I remember them talking about him down blocking at the second level, so it has to be a video on YouTube.
I read/heard similar. Don't now have a clue where. Like all, hope it is true. Decent, consistent WR downfield blocking so essential for a potent offense.

I really like how he came across in this video. He is all in on receiver and he will help make the WR room a beast for defenses to handle.

Reactions: 76-1
One of the things that gives McCulley an advantage over Hardy is that He played Quarterback. As a result He has had to understand play design and what everybody's responsibilities are on every play. Now that He is at Wide Receiver it isn't just learning a play for one position. He should have a better overview of the Offense and be able to read the defensive Coverage at the line better than someone Who has only played Wide Receiver.

What I'm looking for, is how soon does He reach the point where He is no longer overthinking the Mechanics and Techniques of the position and everything becomes second nature to Him.

One of the things that gives McCulley an advantage over Hardy is that He played Quarterback. As a result He has had to understand play design and what everybody's responsibilities are on every play. Now that He is at Wide Receiver it isn't just learning a play for one position. He should have a better overview of the Offense and be able to read the defensive Coverage at the line better than someone Who has only played Wide Receiver.

What I'm looking for, is how soon does He reach the point where He is no longer overthinking the Mechanics and Techniques of the position and everything becomes second nature to Him.
Well said crossblock as playing well without thinking is the goal. I think coach Henry will have him ready and only give him enough to have a great year.

Reactions: 76-1
I think McCulley’s top end speed will exceed expectations from his high school 4.6 recruiting time.
He’ll better 10 yards a second running to the end zone. Not many will catch him from behind.
Shoot, He may have shaved a tenth from his HS time already.

It’s clear he’s working hard to play most of the snaps this season.
Basketball give and goes are the closest thing to playing receiver outside of football.
Finding a guy to win contested catches at the sticks on 3rd down and in the end-zone,
makes it easier to score points. Hendershot was that guy last season. He needs to be replaced.
Which of us wouldn’t take a second coming of Hardy?

After last season‘s injury parade, we seem to have lots of quality WR depth compared to the end of last season.

SI Fan Nation Story
https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...with-switch-from-quarterback-to-wide-receiver

I hope it works out well. Moving one our highest ever qb recruits after one year is a bad look if he’s not an above average WR. Not to mention having to play in year 1 and having the worst offense I’ve ever seen.

I hope it works out well. Moving one our highest ever qb recruits after one year is a bad look if he’s not an above average WR. Not to mention having to play in year 1 and having the worst offense I’ve ever seen.
It was a big miss in terms of quarterback recruiting. Taking him as a qb meant we weren’t highly considered by some other guys that came in the class after him. Hope it‘s a lemonade from lemons situation for him and us.

It was a big miss in terms of quarterback recruiting. Taking him as a qb meant we weren’t highly considered by some other guys that came in the class after him. Hope it‘s a lemonade from lemons situation for him and us.

Coach Adam Henry had a lot to say about DMc and his ceiling and how he's doing. He'll play this year and will create problems for defenses. Could be one of the red zoneend zone targets. Sounds like at least Henry thinks he has NFL potential.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
Well, just remember that

Ole Miss
KY
Cincy
Iowa
Purdue
Mich St
WF

All offered DM as a QB, so this notion that it is a bad look or anyone throwing shade about a big miss can be taken with a handful of salt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT