ADVERTISEMENT

Halftime

daddyhoosier

Junior
Aug 31, 2019
iufb.net
Thought Illinois looked like the team with a game under their belt early. For a minute it looked like they might run wild all night and Indiana might be in trouble. Illinois has shot themselves in the foot several times and in the last part of the 2nd quarter Indiana siezed momentum despite Illinois dominating yardage and ToP.
Indiana needs to do a better job against the run in the second half. There have been a few missed tackles that led to extra yards and first downs so that needs to be cleaned up. Look for the Illinois QB to scramble more when we show man coverage and nobody gets open. I don't think I would do a spy or anything but definitely have the guys watch for that.
Indiana had success getting pressure up the middle 3 or 4 times so maybe try some more of that.
Honestly I think the Illini got jipped out of a TD but usually it seems likes it's Indiana that gets screwed over like that.
Baz has missed some throws. When he's had a clean pocket he's thrown some darts. When he's been pressured he's been off. I loved that deep ball to Matthews, beautiful throw, beautiful route, beautiful play. I love that it was a post in the middle of the field and not a go route down the sidelines. I know I've been harping on that a little bit but it gives you a much greater chance to make a play since you don't have the boundary acting as a second defender.
I loved the way Indiana ended the half. They got the field goal, stopped Illinois and then got another field goal. But after the second they didn't leave Illinois enough time to do anything - I thought that was good game management. In the past I have complained about a lack of awareness here but good job in this case. I
Indiana gets the ball first so a great opportunity to stretch the lead and really get Illinois on their heals. I thought Illinois out-played Indiana in much of the first half yet Indiana is in the lead and gets the ball first. If they make some good adjustments in the locker room and don't turn the ball over in the second half they should be in a pretty good position. Go Hoosiers!

Thought Illinois looked like the team with a game under their belt early. For a minute it looked like they might run wild all night and Indiana might be in trouble. Illinois has shot themselves in the foot several times and in the last part of the 2nd quarter Indiana siezed momentum despite Illinois dominating yardage and ToP.
Indiana needs to do a better job against the run in the second half. There have been a few missed tackles that led to extra yards and first downs so that needs to be cleaned up. Look for the Illinois QB to scramble more when we show man coverage and nobody gets open. I don't think I would do a spy or anything but definitely have the guys watch for that.
Indiana had success getting pressure up the middle 3 or 4 times so maybe try some more of that.
Honestly I think the Illini got jipped out of a TD but usually it seems likes it's Indiana that gets screwed over like that.
Baz has missed some throws. When he's had a clean pocket he's thrown some darts. When he's been pressured he's been off. I loved that deep ball to Matthews, beautiful throw, beautiful route, beautiful play. I love that it was a post in the middle of the field and not a go route down the sidelines. I know I've been harping on that a little bit but it gives you a much greater chance to make a play since you don't have the boundary acting as a second defender.
I loved the way Indiana ended the half. They got the field goal, stopped Illinois and then got another field goal. But after the second they didn't leave Illinois enough time to do anything - I thought that was good game management. In the past I have complained about a lack of awareness here but good job in this case. I
Indiana gets the ball first so a great opportunity to stretch the lead and really get Illinois on their heals. I thought Illinois out-played Indiana in much of the first half yet Indiana is in the lead and gets the ball first. If they make some good adjustments in the locker room and don't turn the ball over in the second half they should be in a pretty good position. Go Hoosiers!
Good stuff. But when I saw the thread title I thought it was going to express amazement that Urban Meyer is back.

10 IU TFLs on 51 runs. 3 IU sacks on 39 drop backs.
I think DC Wilt is happy with these. Getting pushed around … not so much.
I’d attribute most of the fit problems to 1st game v. 2nd game effects.
Wilt put a lot of new players on the field.
2nd half run defense was better. (Chase Brown could be an All American if they can keep it up).

”44’s the Mike” … won’t tell you to look at Cam Jones …
who made the big plays McFadden made the past 2 years.
Aaron Casey #44 and Bradley Jennings Jr #5 combined for 13 tackles — in McFadden’s spot.
Clearly CTA and Wilt know how to feature both interior LB roles in CTA’s 4-2-5 scheme.

Perhaps OC Bell’s run first emphasis could have been a smoke screen.
Pass pro improvement suggests to me that Bell expected to be pass heavy v. Illinois.

10 IU TFLs on 51 runs. 3 IU sacks on 39 drop backs.
I think DC Wilt is happy with these. Getting pushed around … not so much.
I’d attribute most of the fit problems to 1st game v. 2nd game effects.
Wilt put a lot of new players on the field.
2nd half run defense was better. (Chase Brown could be an All American if they can keep it up).

”44’s the Mike” … won’t tell you to look at Cam Jones …
who made the big plays McFadden made the past 2 years.
Aaron Casey #44 and Bradley Jennings Jr #5 combined for 13 tackles — in McFadden’s spot.
Clearly CTA and Wilt know how to feature both interior LB roles in CTA’s 4-2-5 scheme.

Perhaps OC Bell’s run first emphasis could have been a smoke screen.
Pass pro improvement suggests to me that Bell expected to be pass heavy v. Illinois.
Pretty well stated. The 2 guys wearing the capital D on their foreheads new what to do and W. Bell is figuring it out. Head and a half shoulder above last year.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT