ADVERTISEMENT

Haitian Legal Immigrants

snarlcakes

All-American
Sep 9, 2009
How many years before they are able to vote? I read somewhere and they said 5 years, but thought that was crazy. Anyone know?

As I understand it, this is not a pathway to citizenship. TPS is regularly reviewed, if Haiti is ever thought safe, they are out. If they violate the law they can be removed.

Now they can apply for citizenship like anyone else. They are not at the front of any line, they have to wait out the process. It appears the wait for a green card is 2 years, and once one gets that a 2-3 year wait for citizenship. But none of that is guaranteed for the Haitians, they have to go through the same process as anyone else.

Is that a 5 year process? 10 year process? Do you know?
I think it depends. The rule of thumb for Sailors who marry citizens of other countries is that it takes a minimum of five years. Unfortunately, divorces come soon after that for too many of them. I have heard it taking longer though.

Reactions: snarlcakes
It's a forever process. TPS designees are not eligible for citizenship. They have to have another channel open to them.
Thanks for answer. So if another channel doesn’t open, what happens? Are they eligible for legal employment forever? This will be an issue for employers in our area.

Thanks for answer. So if another channel doesn’t open, what happens? Are they eligible for legal employment forever? This will be an issue for employers in our area.
Trump said he will have them gone in three months, so it probably doesn't matter.

Trump said he will have them gone in three months, so it probably doesn't matter.
Geez, I asked a serious question.

Btw pissed my wife off last night over that three month comment and the absurdity. I am still going to vote for him over Harris/Walz.

Btw is she black, white, brown or yellow? She has a different speech dialect depending on who she’s speaking to. Wonder if she has an Amish dialect. I guess she figures everyone is dumb like she said young people are.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT