ADVERTISEMENT

Guard play KU KSU

Cavanagh

Hall of Famer
Mar 1, 2012
KSU beat KU in OT last night. How you say? On the back of 6’3 (generous) and 5’11 guards Carter and Perry. Two transfers. Both played every single minute, all 45 of them. They also combined to average 1 point per minute, for 45 points combine.

I whined and moaned about how I wanted a few 6’ nothin guards in the portal. It is so obvious to me that skilled guards are needed no matter the size. I think this coaching staff really prided it self on big guards and athletic guys, didn’t give the smaller guys a look.

The game is simple when you break it down. Dribbling and shooting are a huge part of it, maybe we can figure that out in 2030.

KSU beat KU in OT last night. How you say? On the back of 6’3 (generous) and 5’11 guards Carter and Perry. Two transfers. Both played every single minute, all 45 of them. They also combined to average 1 point per minute, for 45 points combine.

I whined and moaned about how I wanted a few 6’ nothin guards in the portal. It is so obvious to me that skilled guards are needed no matter the size. I think this coaching staff really prided it self on big guards and athletic guys, didn’t give the smaller guys a look.

The game is simple when you break it down. Dribbling and shooting are a huge part of it, maybe we can figure that out in 2030.
Cupps is a 6 foot nothing guard. how you like him

If we had kept him, 2030 would’ve been Crean’s first real recruiting class.

Cavanagh CMW will get it done or he is gone simple as that. No 2030 small guards have a tough time as Cupps it really takes them a while especially if they are not quick.

This is the "its possible" part for Woody and a quick turnaround this next year.

"Keep" a handful of this years best players, refill the roster with 6' - 6'6" versatile, capable, dynamic guards/wings.

Hire an assistant coach that's proven himself as a head coach in college basketball somewhere.

Reneau
Cupps
Newton
Sparks
Queen
McNeeley
Daquan Davis

Portal the rest with the guys like you're mentioning, and also any versatile, athletic, 2 way type 6'4 - 6'6 wings.

But, but, we have three future NBA players in our frontcourt, and great depth behind them.

I wonder, are we (and the B10) building to compete in the B10, worried about matching up with other bruising frontcourt styles?

This is the "its possible" part for Woody and a quick turnaround this next year.

"Keep" a handful of this years best players, refill the roster with 6' - 6'6" versatile, capable, dynamic guards/wings.

Hire an assistant coach that's proven himself as a head coach in college basketball somewhere.

Reneau
Cupps
Newton
Sparks
Queen
McNeeley
Daquan Davis

Portal the rest with the guys like you're mentioning, and also any versatile, athletic, 2 way type 6'4 - 6'6 wings.
Iu needs 2 shooters ,1 of them a guard who can handle pressure. I would love to have Queen but right now i do not think he is coming. In that case I would take Tiller. I would keep the coaches I have but Hunter came from Miller. Im not sure Davis is interested in IU?

Iu needs 2 shooters ,1 of them a guard who can handle pressure. I would love to have Queen but right now i do not think he is coming. In that case I would take Tiller. I would keep the coaches I have but Hunter came from Miller. Im not sure Davis is interested in IU?
I just listed Queen and Davis because they have, at one point or another, been Crystal Balled to IU. I've checked out of closely following a lot of IU Bball related stuff, so very possible neither are considering us any more. Who'd blame them?

Might end up having to be a complete roster rebuild via the portal.

It’s not rocket science. Woodson just refuses to build a guard heavy roster which wins in CBB. He will get fired because of his old school out of date nba beliefs

Reactions: BigMobe
IU needs 4 ball handlers and slashers next year. We have one and he is hurt constantly.

Reactions: edub72
Assuming we need roughly 6 or more guys...which I think is probably likely at this point.

2 guards that can both dribble, pass, shoot, and defend at a high level...don't care on their size.

2 wings that are good 2-Way players, athletic, but for sure very good defenders, capable shooters.

2 longer "bigs" that are versatile and defend and rebound very well

Mesh those guys with McNeeley, Newton, Cupps...and then whoever else wants to remain a Hoosier.

Woody would have to coach all these guys in to a good, dynamic team. But I can't fathom a team like this could be worse than this year's team. And it would likely be A LOT more fun to watch and follow.

CMW bet the ranch on X this year. I'm still rooting for X to have a good life, but based on the past 2 yrs...injury, on-court altercations, drag racing down Walnut and the attempted driver switch at the scene of the crime.....it was a huge risk for CMW to take. Woody rolled the dice and rolled snake eyes. Now he has to deal with it. Cupps wasn't supposed to be playing 30 min/game at point this year. He was abused by the PSU backcourt and opponent guards go at him nonstop because they smell frosh blood in the water.

And Gallo, as much as I admire the hustle...is not a shooting 2 guard. He's been miscast and, sans a game or two this year (Kansas), is just throwing up bricks. And his FT shooting is inexcusable.

With a healthy, head-screwed-on-straight XJ (or another veteran portal PG ready to fill the void), and Knecht at the 2...this would have been a much different season.

CMW bet the ranch on X this year. I'm still rooting for X to have a good life, but based on the past 2 yrs...injury, on-court altercations, drag racing down Walnut and the attempted driver switch at the scene of the crime.....it was a huge risk for CMW to take. Woody rolled the dice and rolled snake eyes. Now he has to deal with it. Cupps wasn't supposed to be playing 30 min/game at point this year. He was abused by the PSU backcourt and opponent guards go at him nonstop because they smell frosh blood in the water.

And Gallo, as much as I admire the hustle...is not a shooting 2 guard. He's been miscast and, sans a game or two this year (Kansas), is just throwing up bricks. And his FT shooting is inexcusable.

With a healthy, head-screwed-on-straight XJ (or another veteran portal PG ready to fill the void), and Knecht at the 2...this would have been a much different season.
Xs biggest problem is staying healthy. He never had a chance to get in rhythm and break off the rust. Not having two actual starter level players behind him was inexcusable. Cupps and gallo aren’t top 25 level starting guards. Both backups.

Watched UT vs UK last weekend, and watching Tennessee run their offense, I was amazed at how hard they went. Every single cut done with full effort and purpose. Crashing the boards. Wasn't used to watching that amount of effort and focus.

Watched UT vs UK last weekend, and watching Tennessee run their offense, I was amazed at how hard they went. Every single cut done with full effort and purpose. Crashing the boards. Wasn't used to watching that amount of effort and focus.
I think too much focus has been put on the roster construction of this team. It gives Woody too much of a pass for the horrid offense he's been running/teaching since he arrived in Bloomington...and the wildly inconsistent defensive efforts his teams have shown. If we ran any sort of offense based off good movement, hard cuts, inside/outside play, etc... We'd be a much better basketball team, with the exact same guys we have right now. Same goes for defense...consistently focused, intense effort, and he's had enough talent to be top 20 each season.

And I suspect if he ran such an offense from day 1, we'd have attracted better perimeter players, like Knecht maybe, via the portal.

Damn it...I was trying to be more positive on Woodson today.

Xs biggest problem is staying healthy. He never had a chance to get in rhythm and break off the rust. Not having two actual starter level players behind him was inexcusable. Cupps and gallo aren’t top 25 level starting guards. Both backups.
He’s coming off a broken foot.

I would argue he HAS been healthy this year (meaning, I thought he was a major injury risk, with a very high chance of another fracture).

To assume he would just start, play 30 + mpg, and not miss a game is just not being realistic, or not accounting for the likelihood of another setback.

Further evidence that Woody hasn't adjusted to the college game.

Reactions: BigMobe

Reneau
Cupps
Newton
Sparks
Queen
McNeeley
Daquan Davis

None of this will happen. Woodson is a slow-motion train wreck. You can't start the cleanup until after the wreck.

Reactions: bailey777
Scared shitless.
Don't think so. Look how he made the Iowa shot...do or die. He wasn't ranked as a top 100 guy. He's doing about as well as you could expect from a #110 ranked freshman. He's just not as good as we hoped he'd be. If I'd known he was really 6'0" tall I would have had lower hopes/expectations.

Reactions: kkott
He’s coming off a broken foot.

I would argue he HAS been healthy this year (meaning, I thought he was a major injury risk, with a very high chance of another fracture).

To assume he would just start, play 30 + mpg, and not miss a game is just not being realistic, or not accounting for the likelihood of another setback.

It would have been hard to get a prime portal pg with 1 year of eligibility, due to the expected competition from X, but I have to believe there was some capable small college portal guard with two years of eligibility who would have jumped at the chance to be here.

Reactions: BigMobe and .Gerdis

Reneau
Cupps
Newton
Sparks
Queen
McNeeley
Daquan Davis

This post reminds me of last summer when I was told gunn and banks were going to kill it this year. You penciled in two guys who are likely not even coming here. The post is delusional as Woodson will never change.

This post reminds me of last summer when I was told gunn and banks were going to kill it this year. You penciled in two guys who are likely not even coming here. The post is delusional as Woodson will never change.
Reminds me of all the “Devo” Davis campaigning. That’s turning out to be a friggin mess. Turns out 3 “friends” ended up at Arkansas for reasons other than basketball.

Reactions: Spartans9312
There was a reason cupps was ranked like 130th and not top 50. He simply is not that good.

Ranked #90 on 247 and 120 on Rivals.

Had some nice #s as a senior: 14.3 ppg, 7.2 assists, 2.1 steals, shot 46.9% on 3s, 84.1% on FTs.

Those #s and the fact that his team won the state championship, he was Mr. Basketball, and his dad was a coach led me to hope/expect him to be better than he is.....quicker with the ball and 'slicker' all around. Also, him being 1-2" shorter than expected is a problem, given his lack of quickness.

This got me interested in Banks' and Gunn's rankings. Banks was #92 on 247 and 137 on Rivals; Gunn was #90 on 247 and not in the top 150 on Rivals.

Ranked #90 on 247 and 120 on Rivals.

Had some nice #s as a senior: 14.3 ppg, 7.2 assists, 2.1 steals, shot 46.9% on 3s, 84.1% on FTs.

Those #s and the fact that his team won the state championship, he was Mr. Basketball, and his dad was a coach led me to hope/expect him to be better than he is.....quicker with the ball and 'slicker' all around. Also, him being 1-2" shorter than expected is a problem, given his lack of quickness.

This got me interested in Banks' and Gunn's rankings. Banks was #92 on 247 and 137 on Rivals; Gunn was #90 on 247 and not in the top 150 on Rivals.
He is pretty slow would probably do ok in the MAC.

you keep saying that, but I don't recall anyone ever saying Banks and Gunn were going to kill it this year. I think a lot of people were hopeful that they would make a major leap, but nobody guaranteed it.

Banks looks all of four-foot-nothing sitting on the bench all night. I have to imagine he has his portal paperwork already completed, just waiting for the last game to end to hit the 'send' button.
after tonight's loss if Woodson plays Walker over Banks going forward, he's an absolute idiot, unless in Woodson's mind he wants Banks to leave.

We’re not figuring it out if it’s the current staff in charge.

I bet they didn’t learn a thing when the 6’1” Mack kid from Harvard almost beat us by himself.

Reactions: Cavanagh

SIU transfer, Lance Jones, is a difference maker for Purdue. Listed at 6’1” and can shoot the 3. You think our staff would’ve wanted him? 😔

We have a group of coaches who don’t know how to assemble a winning college team.

I think too much focus has been put on the roster construction of this team. It gives Woody too much of a pass for the horrid offense he's been running/teaching since he arrived in Bloomington...and the wildly inconsistent defensive efforts his teams have shown. If we ran any sort of offense based off good movement, hard cuts, inside/outside play, etc... We'd be a much better basketball team, with the exact same guys we have right now. Same goes for defense...consistently focused, intense effort, and he's had enough talent to be top 20 each season.

And I suspect if he ran such an offense from day 1, we'd have attracted better perimeter players, like Knecht maybe, via the portal.

Damn it...I was trying to be more positive on Woodson today.
shoulda woulda

Reneau
Cupps
Newton
Sparks
Queen
McNeeley
Daquan Davis

We won’t get Queen and Davi’s

after tonight's loss if Woodson plays Walker over Banks going forward, he's an absolute idiot, unless in Woodson's mind he wants Banks to leave.

Neither Walker nor Banks are good players, but to this point Walker has been better than Banks. For most of this year he's been a much more efficient player for IU than he had been in any of his 4 seasons at Miami. Water is now beginning to find its level, and he's played worse lately.

Walker should never be allowed to take a 3 other than in a clock shot situation. He's taken 14 this season and has hit 2. (14%). He's a lifetime 20% 3 point shooter. With a better coach, any 3 other than in a shot clock situation would result in immediate bench time. That said, he's much more efficient than Banks. Banks has hit 26% on 19 3s, and .473 on FTs compared to 75% for Walker (10% higher than his career %). Banks also is horrible on D, fouls a lot more, rebounds a little less, and shoots a lower % on 2 pters.

Excellent point. It’s startling how different most decent teams play than IU. Fundamentals used to be the incredibly strong foundation in Bloomington. How Woody has forgotten that is bizarre to me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT