ADVERTISEMENT

Growler

MJE

Senior
Sep 5, 2001
Los Angeles
I recently found out a very small microbrewery (is that redundant?) opened about half a mile away. It's tucked away in a light industrial area, but it's walking distance. Haven't been yet. If I like the beer, I'm thinking I start bring growlers home to enjoy in the back yard this summer.

Any tips on choosing a growler? Inexpensive glass one? Stainless steel? How long does beer stay drinkable from a growler?

I thought it was strange but their website has a growler policy - no names of other breweries visible. Apparently that's a legal (California? LA?) requirement.

Ta.

"growler" (Slang) vagina

This word is generally used to describe an old, unkempt or generally disgusting vagina. It is not a pleasant term.

Reactions: C-$
Fifty/Fifty makes a great vacuum sealed aluminum growler that keeps the beer really fresh. Found an IU one on Amazon and I love it. It's $50 but it's high quality and worth paying the money imho.

Reactions: MJE
I recently found out a very small microbrewery (is that redundant?) opened about half a mile away. It's tucked away in a light industrial area, but it's walking distance. Haven't been yet. If I like the beer, I'm thinking I start bring growlers home to enjoy in the back yard this summer.

Any tips on choosing a growler? Inexpensive glass one? Stainless steel? How long does beer stay drinkable from a growler?

I thought it was strange but their website has a growler policy - no names of other breweries visible. Apparently that's a legal (California? LA?) requirement.

Ta.

If you don't own a growler, why not just buy one at that brewery? The ones in indy charge about four bucks for the new growler with a fill...then you don't have to worry about the label.

Ta.
Don't over think this. The brewery will sell you a glass growler. Some states mandate that the growler have the name of the brewer on it (not sure why, but Indiana is that way) and others don't (Michigan, for one). It looks like Cali is the former, not the latter.

Assuming you're going to be taking it home to drink within a day or three, any glass growler will do. However - once you crack the seal, it won't keep much beyond that day, maybe into the next, but a growler only holds 4 pints, so no biggie.

I personally don't see the need for the shiny steel growlers, unless you are intent on keeping it as air tight as possible for shipping or trading.

Hope the beer is worth the walk.

Reactions: MJE and ovaltine
Fifty/Fifty makes a great vacuum sealed aluminum growler that keeps the beer really fresh. Found an IU one on Amazon and I love it. It's $50 but it's high quality and worth paying the money imho.

$50 for a growler? No offense but that sounds silly. What ever happened to just buying one at the brewery and reusing it? Did the times pass me by or something?

$50 for a growler? No offense but that sounds silly. What ever happened to just buying one at the brewery and reusing it? Did the times pass me by or something?
I've got glass ones too. This one is nice, has the IU logo, and I'm gainfully employed so I figured what the hell? You sound like my wife.

Some of those high end stainless growlers are insulated and will keep the contents cold for hours without ice. One of our homebrew club members would bring his samples in one. It'd sit there two hours not inside any cooler and still be cold when he poured it. I don't own one but I could see where something like that might be valuable, especially when transporting "beverages" into an area where glass is prohibited.

But for just carting back a jug of brew from the pub to your refrigerator, glass is all you need.

Ta.
Matt,

The glass ones are fine...no need to spend money which could be spent on beer on a fancy growler. Most places will just slap a paper label over the glass jug you bring in. The idea is to drink the beer, not start a museum. How's that baby?

Don't over think this. The brewery will sell you a glass growler. Some states mandate that the growler have the name of the brewer on it (not sure why, but Indiana is that way) and others don't (Michigan, for one). It looks like Cali is the former, not the latter.

Assuming you're going to be taking it home to drink within a day or three, any glass growler will do. However - once you crack the seal, it won't keep much beyond that day, maybe into the next, but a growler only holds 4 pints, so no biggie.

I personally don't see the need for the shiny steel growlers, unless you are intent on keeping it as air tight as possible for shipping or trading.

Hope the beer is worth the walk.

Another thing you want to take into account is that some states will not fill a 64 ounce growler. Agree 100% with going with the local glass option. No reason to go big.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT